Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:52:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Zen Direct Stream Digital from DECWARE (Read 12625 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

New Zen Direct Stream Digital from DECWARE
01/25/15 at 18:46:54

We’re pleased to bring you a practical solution to hi-resolution digital by taking a professional grade DSD recorder from Tascam and designing a unique transformer coupled output stage for it! We’re excited to say that the combination of these two things greatly exceed the sum of their parts. The model number is ZDSD (Zen Direct Stream Digital).

While you can use this as you would any DAC, it’s design makes it possible to eliminate all the variables that cloud digital’s performance. For example, the plastic disc and transport can be eliminated. Or the computer and all of it’s required software can be eliminated, so you won’t have to worry about what audiophile grade USB cable to buy.

This is possible because the ZDSD uses memory cards or USB sticks that simply plug into the front. This makes digital playback possible without a transport or a computer and offers a 100% hardware solution that always works. It always works because it’s not a programmable gate array and has no firmware to update. It plays standard and hi-res formatted files including DSD64 and DSD128.

The Decware output stage in this device is a real ass kicker with adjustable output levels and no tubes, just high bandwidth transformers that allow the full voltage of balanced outputs to become available on the custom installed floating silver RCA output jacks.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention it records in all formats too!  That means you can make DSD128 recordings of your albums without having to purchase a single piece of software and without worries about running inferior hardware. The Burr Brown A to D in this machine uses a temperature controlled 1 PPM clock which is as good as it gets and your recordings will sound analog.

You can find out more about the ZDSD here. https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZDSD.html

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: New Zen Direct Stream Digital from DECWARE
Reply #1 - 01/25/15 at 19:35:26

So, if I understand this correctly, this will do everything EXCEPT play an actual disc?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 01/25/15 at 20:36:15

I don't see what types of files it supports other than .wav?
Most of my stuff is on .flac.
Will it be supported?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/25/15 at 23:40:34

Archie: right, no disc transport in this component. But you could use a cd transport (player, recorder, dvd player, computer, laptop etc.) via digital output into the ZDSD.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/26/15 at 00:10:47

In the case where one would use a cd/dvd disc player, does the quality have to be way above average or does the ZDSD do most of it.  I have an older OPPO, the 980, I think and I like to not replace it if possible.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/26/15 at 00:15:31

I do find that there are subtle to not quite subtle differences between transports (in cd players, dvd, universal etc.) and I would imagine one would want to use a good one. I bet the one in your Oppo would qualify. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/26/15 at 00:31:59

Hope so.  One big obstacle to my going into digital has been the seemingly endless equipment needed with the associated high cost.  The ZDSD seems to help get things under control.  If it performs!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/27/15 at 16:42:14

Great looking product, something I'd definitely be interested in.

IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/11/15 at 20:43:42

So, no one answered the question. Does this only play WAV files? All my music on my computer is in AIFF. Thanks Steve.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print