Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 20:45:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Super Zen with 8 Ohm impedance speakers (Read 3876 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Super Zen with 8 Ohm impedance speakers
01/15/15 at 11:53:32

Hi!

Can anyone tell me if this combination works at a sensitivity of 98dBs? I know the Super Zen is designed to be its best at 4 Ohms, but since I will be receiving new high sensitive speakers soon (98 dBs @ 8 Ohms), I finally may take a chance on the little guy.

Thanks for any information.

Edit: I know Steve wrote about the high impedance versus normal impedance transformer options for 8 Ohm rated speakers depending on crossover. But, what about a speaker with a "benign" crossover and 98 dB sensitivity? I guess only Steve can answer this?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Re: Super Zen with 8 Ohm impedance speakers
Reply #1 - 01/15/15 at 14:59:28

I think you'd have to look at the impedance characteristics of the speaker and see where it hit's across all frequencies.  The Zen comes in 6-16 ohm or 4 ohm versions.  If you pick the 4ohm and the impedence of the speakers averages much higher, you won't be getting all the power you need out of the amp.

After you find out the info, it's always safe to run it by Steve to see what he says.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print