Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:06:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seeking help with Moving Coil..... (Read 3646 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Seeking help with Moving Coil.....
01/06/15 at 02:49:59

Hi Guys,

I've recently been provided the opportunity to try using a moving coil cartridge in my set-up.  The problem is that I don't have one.  What I think will happen is that I will do so me poking around and see if anyone can share their opinions/experiences with me.  Then I will probably purchase one based on people's experiences.  

Here is what my system has going on right now from needle to speekers...  Ortofon 2M bronze, Acoustic Research "The Turntable" with stock arm and motor- but it has Merrill platter, mat, and sub-chassis,  DIY interconnects, AVA Phono stage, stock Pas-3 line stage, Torii MKIV (my pride and joy, thank you Steve), DIY speaker cable, Hartley Holton A's.

Some thing I'd like to keep away from is sibilance.  It is my least desired attribute concerning audio.  I also tend to be "treble sensitive" if that is possible, I tend to ratchet the treble down a bit.  I guess you could say I like a full-figured presentation of the audio signal.  At any rate, I'm looking to test the waters around 3-4 Franklins.  Does anyone know of a MC cartridge that is worth a go for that budget.

I sure appreciate any and all contributions,

Thanks All  

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Seeking help with Moving Coil.....
Reply #1 - 01/06/15 at 14:26:13

I don't have much experience this century with MC cartridges and those I heard in the more distant past were with such different equipment I don't have advice to offer.

Hopefully your phono preamp is up to the task? I too would call myself "treble sensitive" -- my treble is always very attenuated, most so with digital but still with phonography as well. So it will be interesting to hear what you find very good.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/15 at 03:28:52

Thanks for your input Lon,

About the Phono preamp...  it is the only piece in my system that is fully transistorized.  I have only listened to it with a Moving Magnet cartridge, however it is loadable for both Moving Magnet and Moving Coil.  At first it sounded a bit forward, but it has really come into its own (perhaps from burn-in?).  I wasn't sure if it sounded etched compared my tube based Phono Pre, but I think I needed to acclimate my hearing to what and how this Pre performs.  It does a fantastic job with fast deep Bass.  That is surely a plus in my estimation.  It is possible that compressed signals are less pleasant to listen to, compared to my tube based Phono Pre, but I can't slight the AVA for being brutally honest.  I don't know how to say it, but, it seems that the AVA phono pre holds compression under a skeptical magnifying glass.  As where the Phono stage of my Pas-3 is more lenient.

I'm not the best at describing sound.  It is so subjective, in every manner.  I know I can change from listening session to listening session.  It is impossible to make absolutes.  As of now, I think the AVA Phono Pre is a game competitor, compared to the others I've owned.  Now I'd like to try my hand on how it handles a Moving Coil.  

Again, Thanks Gang.

Please jump in if you have any thoughts        

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #3 - 01/07/15 at 03:48:35

I run a Denon DL-103r MC cartridge on a Jelco 750d arm, which is mounted to a very nice Empire 208 table (made in 1961!).  My phono pre is a tubed Parks Audio Budgie, which is configured for MM and MC cartridges.  I also run an AT150Mlx, which is one of the higher rated MM cartridges.  My impression is that the AT is more "detailed", which may mean that it emphasizes the upper end a bit more (I'm not good at describing sound characteristics either).  The Denon has a "fuller" sound.  Not to say that the AT is missing anything ... In fact, it's an awesome performer.  But the Denon has that "warm" sound that I sometimes prefer.  I keep switching back and forth, because I can't decide which I prefer.  They are both excellent performers at their price point.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print