Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 05:11:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New DM946 speakers on their way! (Read 17724 times)
IanO
Verified Member

New DM946 speakers on their way!
12/30/14 at 18:54:34

Hello all, first post on the forum. My new Dm946 monitors have shipped today so are hot footing it too the UK as I type! Can't wait to hear them in my system, will be driven by my coincident Dynamo so hopefully a great match?!.
I need to get a new pre soon so looking at the csp3 or Mapletree 2B SE, anyone tried both of these?
Anyway happy new year to everyone.
Ian. Grin

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: New DM946 speakers on their way!
Reply #1 - 01/02/15 at 19:18:51

Ian - Welcome to the forum! I am very interested to hear your impressions when the speakers arrive and you get some hours on them. Nice amp! I rec'd my ZP3 and Rachael amp in October and am now on the hunt for speakers. One of the ideas I had was a pair of 946's and possibly two small REL subs. What stands are you getting and or have to use with the 946? How tall? Happy listening and keep us posted, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/15 at 16:53:29

Hi Chris. I will be using the monitors on 24 inch custom design fs104 stands. I need the speakers on these to get the tweeter at ear height as my sofa is quite high. Thought about adding a sub at some time but would like to get the monolith bases if shipping is not too high to the UK! They haven't turned up yet but hopefully will be here in about a week, I'll keep you posted!

IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/15 at 16:40:22

Speakers came today😃  I'm not going to comment on the sound yet, its far too early.  What I will say is they look amazing.  The pictures on the web site simply don't do them justice!  The fit and finish would be good at twice the price!  Well impressed...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/15/15 at 16:51:03

Great news! I'm sure you're going to enjoy them and you'll have a great weekend!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/17/15 at 15:00:08

Thanks Lon, I sure am!  With only about ten hours on them they're really starting to open out.  They already sound  better than my previous speakers which were big Danish floorstanders at three times the price! Smiley

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 01/18/15 at 20:15:47

You will need a Sub. The difference with a good Sub blending-in, is amazing. It's just a matter of physical volume limitations from the smallish cabinets.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/20/15 at 14:46:47

I'm quite interested in the monolith bases, seems like a good upgrade step. Anyway with about 23 hours on them I really like what I'm hearing at the moment, and should keep getting better too!!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 02/21/15 at 18:40:09

Ian - How are the 946's doing? Thoughts? Breaking in? Thanks, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/15 at 14:28:48

Hey Chris,
I must have about 150hrs+on the monitors now and they are opening out nicely. The bass is tight and tuneful and the sound is generally really pacey and rhythmic. Also they are very transparent and open, to the point of being quite hard to pin down. They almost sound like different speakers from recording to recording!
I have quite a lot of new gear, both cables and amps so I guess I'm hearing the whole system bedding in. I should think that by June I should really be hearing everything burnt in. But so far I am very impressed with the sound. Little details like the sound of two guitars on my old more expensive system turning out to be only one. The extra guitar turning out to be studio reflections being picked up by another mike. These sort of details are very clear on the monitors. Also they're not sterile and with great presence, they are really musical. All in all great speakers at a great price.
I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 06/23/15 at 12:22:59

Hi everyone.
Just a quick update on my monitors. Nearly six months of use on them and they're sounding very open and fluid. Not sure how many hours on them in total but probably four or five hundred hours I should imagine! The bass has really dialled in lately. The thing I like about it is its only there when its there if you see what I mean, no constant drone and rumble! I have been thinking about upgrading the cap but will hold off for now as I will hopefully be getting a TORII next year! I'll see how it goes with that! Happy days anyway so far...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 06/24/15 at 12:50:35

I'm glad you're enjoying the DM946's. Do you have them on stands? I'm curious, as I replaced my DM945's for Tekton Lore's with good results (I still keep the DM945's as back up or for alternating), but that does not mean I don't like the DM945's (w/Mundorf Supreme Caps), it's just that I needed higher sensitivity ratings from the speakers with my flea power Mini Torii.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 06/25/15 at 01:41:29

Hi Fireblade. Yes I have the 946's on custom design stands decoupled on granite slabs. Works really well! At the moment I use the monitors with a coincident dynamo. They drive the monitors to quite high levels. I do want to upgrade to something like a TORII and would love to add the monolith bases to. I'm interested in upgrading the capacitors, maybe clarity mr or Jupiter flat wax type. What's your thoughts with the mundorfs?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print