Send Topic Print
AUDIO MAGAZINE ADVICE (Read 6795 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

AUDIO MAGAZINE ADVICE
12/22/14 at 21:16:16

I know that I may have asked this question before, so I will keep it short. What Audio Magazine (not web site) do you guys prefer and why?

Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: AUDIO MAGAZINE ADVICE
Reply #1 - 12/22/14 at 21:29:29

Greg - I subscribe to both TAS and Stereophile. Why? Stereophile because of Art Dudley, been reading him since his Listener magazine and like his perspective and sense of humor. TAS- gonna let that one lapse when the scription runs out. I find very little of it matters or is of interest to me since I purchased my ZP3 and Rachael. Next will be either HDT's or Monoliths. I have been in the audio business twice in my working career, and just find most mags crap now days. I would rather listen to music and read a book than read about how some 150k a pair amps are so amazing. Really? 150k and I can have a whole lot of real music played in my living room, (and I have but I didn't spend that kind of money). I read a few on line mags (PF and 6 moons) once in a great while. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/22/14 at 21:35:47

I read Stereophile through the nineties but stopped because there was no mention of Decware and similar companies where I felt the "real deal" resided. I'll look at reviews of interesting components online from the magazines if available but I won't subscribe or read regularly any of them. This forum has pretty much become my audio magazine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 12/22/14 at 21:42:46

Chris,

tha's kinda where I'm at. A buddy talked me into TAS, but I'm already rolling my eyes as to what I am about to see, read, and wonder. Waaay back, Stereophile made you feel like you were reading about a movement of some kind. I even recall an article damned near condemning Altec for a flagship model costing $13,000! Back then, most of us hadn't even thought in those numbers for such products. To be fair, the speakers were tri-amped, and they even sent in a guy to properly install them. To no avail Stereophile said, "They never did sound right."

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 12/22/14 at 21:44:35

Amen Lon! I started reading Steve's articles and papers after I built my SE84CS about 8 or 9 years ago. Found the path, on the journey, enjoying the trip. I used to hit our local Tower records and grab Positive Feedback, Listener and a few new albums and my wife would look at me when I came home with that look like ''I won't see you for a few days''. Now she is booking more time on the Rachael amp than I am! Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 12/22/14 at 22:15:25

4Krow - you are correct. Back in the 80's we did two Stereophile trade shows in SF. Lot's of fun and very interesting. We teamed with Luke and David from VTL, Synthesis speakers (Conrad Johnson) and took the big Sony CDP R1 and DAS R1. Had a lot of laughs talking to JGH. You felt like you were on the edge of an underground movement in hobby/audio. I guess even that stuff what way pricey in it's day. I guess the point is that with a little research and trusting my ears, I don't have to mortgage the house to buy gear. This forum gives me lots to think about and lots to learn. Chris

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 12/22/14 at 23:02:25

Chris,

Gordon must have been a blast. The ol' crumudgen' or however that is spelled. FWIW, I owned some CJ speakers way back, but I don't miss 'em much.
Valve Audio and Speaker Builder were the last two rags that I really liked. Not just for what they were, but because they a had a sort of spirit to them.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/14 at 23:22:44

Not so technical, but I like ToneAudio, there is a lot of variety with music and other lifestyle things that I find interesting.  I do like the measurements that Stereophile takes and often I find myself skipping the article and reading whether AD thinks the measures are good or not.  I don't live by that mind you, but think its fun to read some of his comments and wondering how the reviewer came to some sort of conclusion that is was a good piece of kit when it measures so badly. Grin

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/23/14 at 00:59:51

I threw 40 odd mags away this year. Just dont need them for cross referencing anymore. The last time I got them all out was when I was looking for a new phono amp. Decware won and the rest is history.
I allways wanted one of those Lecson pre/amps with the sliders and round bin-like pw amp. Bet they weren`t as good as I imagined. Yes the dreams of a pre-audiophile. Reading about  Krell-land I really imagined they were nuts but wanted to know if they did hear messages from outer space.  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print