Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:48:23 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Alternative loudspeakers (Read 57913 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Alternative loudspeakers
12/12/14 at 10:37:10

The single most impacting sound quality variable are the loudspeakers. As such, having alternative speaker sets may bring about different sound flavors and attribute profiles, which could re-visit all the room treatments, tube-rolling and DAC/source tweaks we have applied throughout our music listening experience.

Unfortunately, there are quite few reasonably priced alternatives for the low-power amplification market segment, like SETs and SEPs. One of them, of course, is the DM 945 group of Decware offerings.

My new project is to find an alternative set of loudspeakers to alternate with my DM 945's and refresh my listening stimuli. I'm sure people in this forum have had differing experiences using some of the available products out there, like Omega, Tekton and Zu.

I'm particularly interested in learning from this forum's experiences concerning the following short list:

1. Tekton Lore Reference or Lore 2.0 (or anything within the Lore group)
2.  Omega Super 3 Monitor line (3i, 3U, Super 7)
3- Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 Monitor.

These in particular share two things: Higher tan 94 Db efficiency and a more comfortable 8 Ohm average impedance curve, which would theoretically boost my Mini-Torii's relative power.

Since I cannot audition these and my location is far from these markets, I rely on research and consulting from others' experiences.

Please feel free to be blunt and candid in sharing your relevant anecdotes. Thanks for the assistance.

David.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Re: Alternative loudspeakers
Reply #1 - 12/12/14 at 13:49:06

I'd encourage you to try a single driver crossoverless option if you're willing to try that out.  If you do go that route though, you probably want to forget the Tektons as they do seem to have a crossover that's a bit more involved than a simple cap on the tweeter which is I think what is widely believed.

The various driver options in the Omega Lineup will give you different sounds so depending on what you are looking for (speed and transparency vs. warmth and more bass) will depend on which model is best for you.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 12/12/14 at 15:26:37

seikosha,

Agreed. In the single driver approach, lower mass of the driver = faster response = more transparency and detail, faster pace and dynamics. The tradeoffs are recessed extreme frequency distribution tails and a more compromised frequency distribution overall, given the wide band duties. Larger driver sizes improve slam and bottom end at the cost of dynamics and pace. Not an easy design task.

Yet, Tektons have a strong following since the combination of ideal nominal impedance (8 Ohms) and high efficiency in a two/three-driver approach, makes the case for band passing accuracy and a fuller, more stable frequency distribution. The task here is solving the crossover barriers.

Both approaches could work, the thing is how each specific design implementation results. This is why I need hands-on references with any of these posible candidates in the limited amp power realm.

The DM 945's sit somewhere in the middle of this two schools of thought, I believe.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/14 at 20:58:53

Sorry, no help here Fireblade.  Every one of those speakers has peaked my interest at one time or another, but I have not heard one of them.

I know there are some Omega fans that here will hopefully chime in.

I suppose your location/ultimate goal rules out the monoliths.  Those companion cabinets really do transform the 945s into a different animal.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/14 at 23:59:42

Fireblade,  my two cents.  I own three pairs of speakers and love them all.  I'll outline them below...in order of preference.

1) Decware HR-1 (retail $5000), 92.5 dB eff, 4 ohm.  My favorites. They'll never leave the listening room where they, along with a ZP3, CSP3 and Torii MK IV make beautiful music together.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/HR1.html

The next two pairs are in my den with a pair of 2.3 watt per channel Zen Signature Mono Blocks.  I have bananas on the speaker cables so I can change which pair I use in a few seconds...currently the Omegas are in the house...

2) Zu Audio "Souls" (Retail $2000) 99 dB eff, 8 ohm...they recently had a price reduction.  Not too long ago they retailed for $3500.  These take a long, long time for break-in and thus come with a 60 day trial and Zu will require you to use it all before allowing a return.  They say they play their drivers for 400 hours before installation in the cabinets but mine were hideous for a long time...before I beat them into submission with high volume Led Zeppelin, 16 hours a day for many weeks.  But once they're seasoned ...oooo...heaven.  In some ways better than the HR-1's...deeper richer bass.  These are more adjustable than the HR-1's in this respect.  Read the reviews...

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/06/23/zu-soul-mkii-loudspeaker-review/

3)  Omega Alinco 7XRS (on ebay for $1250...retail $2600) 93 dB eff, 8 ohm. Mine are a one off pair by Louis with a narrower baffle and deeper cabinet than the standard build and are ported to the rear.  I think the cabinet volume is the same and sound should be nearly the same.  He has recently changed his line and names a bit but the link has the speaker in it's standard form...mine have the same drivers.  The forum below has lots of owners.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=31.0

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/superalnicoxrs.html

I recommend all of these speakers and would be very happy with any of them as my only speaker but why just one? Variety is the Spice of Life as someone said...

I have spoken about all of these speakers on this site in the past...mainly in the "What's Spinning" Thread.  You will find fans of all three of these brands among Decware Amp owners.  Do a little searching and you'll find lots of folks who can describe the sound much better than I could.  Now it's off to the Listening Cave for a long session! Hope this helps,  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/13/14 at 00:02:49

Don't forget the Zu Audio Souls ... Coax (no crossover, just a capacitor on the tweet) @ 99db @ 8 ohms.  

My experience with Omega (aside from what's already been mentioned) is that there is a cohesiveness that I have just never heard (aside from Magnepans and other panel type speakers).  Even speakers that are renowned for their coherent phase designs such as Vandersteen for example still do not posess this.  I have come to the point in my listening that when I hear other designs I can hear separation of frequency ranges and sometimes this can even get a bit annoying.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 12/14/14 at 00:08:14

Thanks for the valid points, guys.

I need to work on this some more before making my decision. I'm sure the HR-1's are fantastic, but way out of my budget. So are Zu speakers, in general. Tektons and Omegas are more affordable and I've sent messages to both designers, asking for suggestions.

Eric Alexander (Tekton) suggested Lore Reference or Lore 2.0. On his part, Louis Chochos (Omega) pretty much said any speaker in his product range would do, but hinted the larger monitors would better fit my interest in boosting my current system dynamics. He also indicated the Hoyt-Bedford line is discontinued (there goes a piece of American speaker history!).

Another issue with the Zu's is that most are 12 or 16 Ohms impedance (not the original Soul), and my current amp's transformers are better suited for the 2 to 8 Ohms range. I'm thinking a speaker at 8 Ohms would better suit my amp (it is supposed to be at top power with nominal 8 Ohms loads.)

Although Tektons are not single-driver speakers, the combination of ultra high efficiency and segmented band-specific driver distribution may be ideal. There are raving reviews on the Lore's but without auditioning them, the potential crossover barrier may be risky with only 4 watts at hand.

Honestly, I like Omega's Super 7 Monitors the most, conceptually, but I'm afraid of getting into risky unknown territory (a new, significantly larger driver design), and I definitely want a very tangible improvement with this move.

Regarding Decware's monolith cabinets, I've given them much thought, but I'm honestly not convinced what I need is more bass and body. I currently get that from my Sub and nearfield listening does not require that much bass, maybe somewhat deeper, yes, but that's it. Besides, the alternative would not be a departure from the DM's drivers (looking for different flavors here), and these cabinets represent such a heavy and bulky shipment it would end up being too expensive for what they are.

I'm more interested in further detail, air, less congested complex passages, larger and deeper soundstages, better imagery, etc. If someone has better arguments please come forward and correct me. I'm still a neophyte in this, after all.

There's also Kevtn8's negative experience with the cabinets: After much thought he ordered them but then he sold them rather soon, as I recall. Then there's the need to have the speakers modified to enjoy all the potential of these cabinets and the shipping to Peoria makes it an even more expensive proposal.

We'll see, as I'm not in a hurry, but the speaker upgrade decision has been taken in my mind and I have the funds. This would probably be my last upgrade in a long time, as the rest of the system are all keepers, including the DM 945's, which I will alternate with the new acquisition.  

Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts. Extended thanks to Rizlaw, for his personal contributions regarding his positive Omega 3E experience.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/14/14 at 14:43:14

Fireblade,  if $2000 for a new pair of Zu Audio "Souls" is out of reach financially, I would suggest being patient and consider buying used.  I have bought everything except my CP3, ZP3, Torii MK IV, Taboo MK III, HR-1s and Audeze Headphones...used.  All interconnects, power cords, Rega RP6 TT, two Jolida 100 CD players and Zen Signature Mono Blocks, have all been bought used, some Zu stuff new via ebay auction...speakers, powercords, speaker cables and one shielded interconnect for the ZP3.  Just setup searches with emails for what you want at ebay.  Also do searches at audiogon and usaudiomart for what you want.  For example, you'll find two current listings below...the Omegas I think are over priced...I would pay 1500 max and the Zu's are the old model...I would recommend waiting for  the Soul MK II which is the link I gave you previously, with the single speaker...99dB and 8 ohm.  Don't be discouraged...in several months you'll be surprised what will pop up.

The seller of my Omegas a while back was trying to sell a pair of standard Omega Alinco 7XRS speakers for $1500 but had no takers...the listing expired.  This was a good deal but he'd probably take less if he still has them.  I don't feel comfortable giving out his email but below is the expired listing from which you can contact him.  He also has a handle on Decware's site but I can't remember what it is...he's only posted a few times.  Good Luck,  Mark.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-omega-speaker-systems-super-7-xrs-a...
lnico-rs7a-2014-07-11-speakers-21702-fort-detrick-md

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649145484-zu-audio-soul-speakers-mint/images/...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-omega-speaker-systems-super-alnico-x...

PS... Fireblade, I noticed the old link for Audiogon doesn't work.  I've copied his listing below and I've sent him an email to ask him to contact you if he still has his Omegas and wants to sell them.  Mark.

Omega Speaker Systems Super 7 XRS Alnico (RS7A) [Expired]
Listing ID: lis5cha7
ClassifiedListed July 11, 2014 12:43am1119 Views
Convert?w=840&h=630&fit=maxOmega Super 7 XRS Alnico speakers, single driver wonders, EKO walnut laminate finish Super 7 XRS Alnico speakers, magnetic black cloth grills, EKO walnut laminate finishEvery Omega speaker is hand-made by Louis Chochos in Norwalk, Connecticut.  Proprietary alignments (cabinet tuning) and cabinet design, triple-layer cabinet construction, plus a finish laminate layer. This wood sandwich virtually eliminates sound degrading cabinet resonances.Omega Super 7 XRS Alnico speakers with whizzer conesOmega Super 7 XRS Alnico speakers, EKO walnut laminate finishThe elegant back-tilt spikes allow the sound to project out into the room, reducing the influence from the floor..Omega Super 7 XRS Alnico speakers, single driver wonders, EKO walnut laminate finishThe elegant back-tilt spikes are included and allow the sound to project out into the room, reducing the influence from the floor..Omega Super 7 XRS Alnico speakers, black cloth magnetic grills, EKO walnut laminate finishPacked in original boxes and materials, and then will be double-boxed for added safety.Louis says Alnico magnets are "better balanced and more linear across the frequency spectrum, with better texture and layering.  Offers higher resolution (especially noticeable in the mid-bass area, with instruments like standup bass and kick-drums. "Two views of one of the Alnico full-range 7" drivers in this pair of Super 7s - recognizable by the square shape of the open, cast aluminum basket. Perfect point source and phase and time accurate.
Time Left: None
Ending: 8/10 at 12:42am
Asking Price: $1,500.00
New Retail Price: $2,295.00
Stop Watching
Add some notes about this listing.
Condition       9/10 ?
Pay methods      PayPal, VISA/Mastercard
Ships from      Frederick, MD, 21702
Ships to      United States
Package dimensions      44.0" × 25.0" × 20.0" (45.0 lbs.)
Shipping carrier      
unspecified
Shipping cost      Specified after purchase
Original accessories      Box
Agon-miniAverage?      Research Pricing
Item Description
Second price drop! Offered for sale is a mint hand-made pair of Omega Speaker Systems Super 7 XRS speakers with the full range Alnico driver (RS7V) with whizzer cone. The finish is EKO walnut. If you are reading this you are probably already familiar with the wonderful reputation of Louis Chochos and his hand-made speakers. This is a chance to own a mint pair with no waiting. I have had these for only a few months and must sell them to meet other financial obligations. They are barely broken in (gently, using 20 wpc, never played loudly). They have an almost spooky ability to make you feel as if the musicians are in front of you. They have the cleanest, clearest, most detailed sound I have ever heard, except from another pair of Omega Super 7s.

The speakers will be well packed in their original boxes with original packing material to be certain they get to you in the same mint condition they arrived at my studio. Insured shipping will be via FedEx economy (takes just a few days) and will not exceed $200 if packed this way (CONUS only); I will pay anything over $200. To be absolutely safe, for another $100 for extra shipping and materials, I can double box the original box with another layer of padding in between. I rated them 9 out of ten due to them being broken in and also since I temporarily removed/replaced the bass port following instructions I had received from Louis (just four screws) in order to photograph the Alnico driver from the inside. I have a 100% rating on ebay, and can provide that information to you if you request it. Buyer pays actual shipping cost up to $200 and Paypal fees.

Louis states that "there is no question in my mind, Omega’s proprietary Alnico drivers produce the sound and tone I strive for, so they are now used exclusively in some of my upper-end models." Compared to ferrite magnet counterparts, the sound produced by Omega Alnico drivers is better balanced and more linear across the frequency spectrum, has better texture and layering, and offers higher resolution (especially noticeable in the mid-bass area)

Note: The labels on the back of the speakers identify them as RS7 model, which is the current designation from Omega Speaker Systems for both the ferrite and Alnico magnet driver. These speakers have the far more desirable Alnico drivers rather than the ferrite ones. Please see photo of actual Alnico driver taken from within the cabinet. The Alnico driver is easily identified by its distinctive square black cast aluminum basket.

XRS stands for Xtended Room Speaker. What is extended? The all important midrange, the width and depth of the soundstage, the bottom end, and the "hugeness" of the presentation, all from a very compact speaker (32"H Super 7XRS). The bass port is angled downward on the 7XRS, enhancing the bottom end. The wide baffles enhance the midrange, giving a wide open unboxed sound and tremendous imaging. The back tilt projects the music out into the room, lessening influence from the floor and making stands superfluous.

With their full range 7" single driver these speakers have these characteristics:

- Perfect point source and phase and time accurate

- 44-18 kHz (in room response to 38Hz).

- One-piece whizzer / dustcap assembly

- Dual cone with twin rolled edge surround

- Lightweight OmegaFibreCone material, with treated and pleated accordion fabric surround

- Open, cast-aluminum basket, which greatly reduces back wave bounce back

- Powerful Alnico motor

- 93dB SPL
  - 8 Ohm

More information is available here: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super7xrs.html

You can read an informative view of the slightly smaller Super 6 XRS here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2010/09/omega-super-6-alnico-xrs-extended-room...

From Louis: My proprietary drivers are specifically engineered and constructed to deliver a balanced, full range musical signal. The quality of drivers used in Omega’s speakers is virtually unparalleled at their price points. A high efficiency design (93db sensitivity) allows [them to] work equally well with high or low-powered amps, tube and solid state. With low sensitivity speakers you must ensure that you have enough power on tap to properly drive the them. With Omega speakers, you can direct your amp budget at sound quality rather than just quantity and stop chasing raw power. Omega speakers are very SET friendly. High sensitivity also results in better macro dynamics, which means that Omega speakers sound exceptional at low or high volume listening levels, allowing detail, immediacy, and dynamics to shine through.

Questions for the seller
No questions have been asked about this item.

Ask the seller a public question

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/14/14 at 15:15:43

OK Fireblade,  Here is the feed back link for wm cochran from audiogon so you can contact him if you wish about his Omega Alinco 7XRS speakers.  Mark.

https://app.audiogon.com/users/wmcochran/feedbacks

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #9 - 12/14/14 at 15:20:18

Or, if you can DIY, a whole world of possibilities opens, great sound can be had for little $$$.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 12/14/14 at 15:48:52

Interesting suggestions, Mark, thanks.

I need to clarify that the Soul's USD 2,000 would probably end up becoming close to USD 3,000 or more once they get here. That is a big mark-up and it stems from customs and a bulky/heavy shipping subject.

I would definitely like to get the Zu Soul Mk II's, which have raving reviews and your suggestion is very valid. Since this is a relatively new model, it may take a while to become available in the used market scene, though.

I had seen the Soul ad for USD 1,000 at US Audiomart, but as you said, is not the Mk II, which is supposed to be a big improvement over the original.

Since I'm not in a hurry, I could try to get the Soul Mk II's second hand well after these holidays, so this is an option.

The Alnicos are out of the question due to its lower efficiency at 93 Db, not enough for my Mini (borderline at best and I really want to get higher tan 94 Db efficiency to enjoy some power reserves).

Thanks again for your assistance.

David

PS: I read a couple more messages that came in while writing this message so I'll just address them here:

Thanks so much for the kind effort to assist, Mark. Unfortunately, although the Alnicos are great, I'm sure, I would need at least a Rachael to really enjoy them, power wise. I love my Mini and won't change it any time soon, so the speakers will have to accommodate (i.e., higher than 94 Db).

Doorman, you're right, but I'm afraid I'm just not into DIY. Thanks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/14/14 at 16:12:14

Fireblade,  I run both my Zu's and the Omega Alincos with a pair of Decware Zen Signature Mono Blocks that are rated at 2 watts per channel and they play plenty loud...I've never tried to see what the max would be.  Now, ironically, my Taboo MK III rated at 4.6 watts per channel paired with the Omegas did not provide adequate volume...go figure.  I think there's more than just Watts at play.  Before you dismiss Alnicos at 93 dB eff, you might want to speak to or email Steve.  Mark.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #12 - 12/14/14 at 16:27:21

I see your point, Mark. With the DM 945's rated at 94 Dbs, I get enough juice to enjoy the system, but without any reserves (i.e., half the time I get all the required volume just short of clipping the amp). I thought I should keep efficiency as high as possible (within constraints) to make sure power would never be a bottleneck.

I guess Steve would be the one to consult. Thanks.

P.S.: Funny, Omegas range shows either the Super 7XRS with a RS7 ferrite magnet driver (USD 1,895) or a Super Alnico XRS with a 6" hempcone driver (USD 2,595). The one on that expired ad does not fit into these categories, so it must have been a one-off or the seller is mistaken.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/14/14 at 16:59:21

Here's the deal.  Even though the Alinco 7XRS have a seven in the name, the drivers are actually 6 inches.  It seems to me that I read a comment by Louis that he just liked the number 7 for the speaker nomenclature but Louis is constantly tweaking and reworking his speaker offerings and does build custom one offs like the ones I have.  I'll try to find a pic of mine and put it below.

Given you're barely getting by with the 94 dB Decware speakers...are they 8 or 4 ohm?, it would probably be wise to go more efficient.  I've got to tell you again...I think the Zu Souls sound like they'd be perfect for you at 99dB and 8 ohm.  You might want to call Zu Audio and speak to Sean, the President, about your needs...he might cut you a deal including shipping.  I spoke to him once before knowing he was the president and founder of Zu Audio...very nice and willing to speak to the technically ignorant (Me) to meet your needs...Great Customer service!  Mark.

PS...can't find the pic of my speakers...got tired of looking.  It's in the forums somewhere but it's no longer available via ebay where I bought them.  The drivers look identical to those shown on Louis' site.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 12/14/14 at 17:19:42

Got it. Thanks for the heads up. That Alnico driver sure looks interesting, is just a shame I can't take advantage of it due to the lower efficiency.

I definitely agree with you about the Soul Mk II. They would probably sound amazing in my setting. I have not yet found a place where these are sold new, though, so I don't even know for sure what the ongoing price is. It's funny but they talk about everything, including overseas vendors, but never tell where to buy in the US (which is my best bet).

Have you found a retailer for these?  Thanks again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 12/14/14 at 17:40:24

Your name is David right?  David (Fireblade), in the recent past Zu Audio had been changing things frequently.  I think they tried using retailers but went back to direct sales out of Utah.  I bought my first pair via ebay from Zu Audio then the "Souls" were sent direct to me after I had issues with the first pair..Sean was very helpful and even upgraded the speakers from "Unions" to the "Souls" after hearing what kind of Music I listen to.  Below is the home page.  You are going to have to go to the contact page and call...it's painless.  There's even an 800 number.  There are about three guys that answer the phone 9 to 5 weekdays.  If I were you I'd ask to speak to Sean, he's probably the only one authorized to give you the best deal. Tell him your concerns...what equipment you use and what Music you listen to...he'll do his best to fix you up.  Even if his best deal is still too much at least you'll have gotten an education on Zu Audio.  Mark.

PS...the current retail price on the site is $2000 down from $3500 previously for standard finishes.  Here's the product page for them.  Scroll down for the data sheet and more info...  http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul

PSS...here's a pic of a pair in my color, Honey Walnut...they have others and an almost infinite ability to do custom finishes...for a price

http://www.zuaudio.com/

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/14/14 at 18:32:11

David,  did you see these on Louis' site?

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/hemptonecompact8.html

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/14/14 at 19:08:09

FB,

Forget the "specs", your speakers are around 91dB 1w/1m.
They are 94dB 2.83v/1m which means a 2 watt input at 4 ohms.

Omega's 7 series speakers were originally available in 3 versions, 7A Alnico, 7V Vintage ferrite (no whizzer), and 7F Ferrite with whizzer.        
Now only the 7F is available.

If you are looking along these lines I would recommend asking Louis about the new 8" driver.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130573.0

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/14/14 at 19:23:08

Fireblade, that new 8" Driver from Louis sounds like it would work great for you too...at 98 dB and probably 8 ohms like all his prior drivers...it might be the ticket to happiness...decisions, decisions...hehe

I hadn't seen these before...I like the name...Outlaw.  A lot of speaker for 3 grand.  If I didn't already have 3 pair of speakers, I'd snap it up.  What I think I'll do sometime is get a sealed sub...maybe the Omega, to see how it changes things.  Sometimes with Rock, I wish I had more shake the walls bottom end...like Led Zep.  But for 98% of what I listen to, I'm very satisfied without one.  Mark.
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaoutlawsupe2.html

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/14/14 at 20:55:37

Quote:
If you are looking along these lines I would recommend asking Louis about the new 8" driver.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130573.0

Recently I spoke with Louis after going through their website. I had questions about two different model speakers listed on their site. I found out one model had been discontinued while the other was no longer being built to the spec's listed on the website (sounded as though they were in the process of modifying it). I would be even more interested in some details on the above speaker.

In any event when I got off the phone with Louis, I was more confused than before the call. It didn't turn me off to Omega necessarily, just prompted me to wait until they decide what final production versions will be.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #20 - 12/15/14 at 00:13:08

Mark, thanks again for your inputs.

Of course I've been visiting the Zu Audio website. That is why I realized they definitely are not commercially well organized. Their main business gate (direct sales) is non-existent and they not even mention that you have to call for them to make the sale. Surprising!

Yes I had seen and liked the Omega's compact 8 Hemptone left over (discontinued) monitors, but these are old driver technology compared to their present line, so I'm hesitant. BTW, these are 8" drivers, but old design, not new.

Lin, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I don't follow your specs argument. I know the DM 945's are about 93.5 Db at 1 Watt, 1 meter (an average from the 93 Db by the tweeter and 94 Db by the woofer), although Steve rounds them up at 94 Db in his spec sheet.

I also know the Mini is 3.3 watts max at 4 Ohms and I asume a 4 watts nominal power at 8 Ohms, since Steve has stated 8 Ohms is the best scenario for the Mini which is rated as 4 watts in the specs sheet.

The issue with the 8" driver compared to their standard 4.5" driver is it becomes less capable of a high crossover to the concentric tweeter arrangement (away from the very audible zone) due to its larger size and therefore more limited mechanics at higher frequencies, but better at mids and lower ones.  Either the tweeter gets in earlier in the distribution (more audible zone for transition distortions) or the woofer will not be so linear in that top range.

I'm not saying the designer may not be able to pull a successful result, but it becomes harder to nail. As you can see from my original message, the Super 7 Monitors are in my short list.

Mark,

As far as I can tell, there are no 8" drivers for the woofer role in Omega speakers, except for the already discontinued Hemptone Compact 8. The only current 8" driver is for the active Subwoofer separate unit. I think you meant the 7" driver, which is the bigger brother of the standard 4.5" driver. The Outlaws integrate a 12" subwoofer to the std  Super 7 XRS, which would be overkill in my setup.

DBC, thanks for your comments.

As you can see, I have not found evidence of any 8" loudspeaker driver in Omega's lineup. At least it has not been made public. I'm still waiting for Louis's reply to my 2nd message with further questions. I guess these are not the best days to get their attention giving the holiday sales boost. I agree, this is all very confusing ...

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 12/15/14 at 01:06:40

Louis is getting ready to start production on a new 8 inch driver.  There's been a pic or two posted on the Omega forum.  This is the driver that Lin is probably referring to.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 12/15/14 at 01:13:46

That may be so. It's just not yet available. It seems that as far as Omega is concerned, we'll have to wait for a while, since the new driver may bring up some advantages over the current lineup.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/15/14 at 01:26:15

8" with whizzer or 4.5" without the proof is in the listening, some prefer one and some the other. They both have pros and cons.
With bass help I usually prefer smaller drivers.
I run my Super 3i's with 2w set or 6w sep and I have some 90 dB speakers with minimal x-os that I run with 6w.

DM945 can not be 93/94 dBs 1w/1m.
Check the driver specs.
4 ohm driver  Re 3.7 Ohms  Sensitivity 93.7 dB
8 ohm driver  Re 7.3 Ohms  Sensitivity 91 dB
Same sensitivity, only difference is impedance

If an amp doubles output into half the impedance (which yours does not) you get the gain in spl.
It is a numbers game, volts vs. watts.

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity
Scroll down to: Comparing the Sensitivity of Speakers with Different Impedances

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #24 - 12/15/14 at 01:40:29

I'm sorry, but I keep missing your point. You just proved the DM 945's are 93.7 Db at 4 Ohms. That's what Steve rounds up as 94 Db. Why do you say that the DM 945's are 91 Db if they are not set at 8 Ohms but at 4 Ohms?

I must be missing something, unless the nominal rating is universally standardized to 8 Ohms, in which case the std efficiency rated at 8 Ohms (even though the speaker has been set at an impedance of 4 Ohms) is 91 Db. But in real terms, it is 94 Db since it operates with a nominal impedance curve at 4 Ohms, isn't it? Or is it that 2.83 V = 1 Watt at 8 Ohms and 93.7 Db efficiency, so at 4 Ohms is significantly lower in efficiency?

So what is the expected output power of the Mini at a nominal 8 Ohms speaker load if it boasts 3.3 watts at 4 Ohms? I need to understand this before I find the ideal speaker match. Thanks for any enlightenment.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/15/14 at 02:30:17

Have you looked at the link?

"You just proved the DM 945's are 93.7 Db at 4 Ohms."

If the amp is putting out 2 watts into 4 ohms, at 1w/1m it would still be 91 dBs just like the 8 ohm driver.

Most tube amps are rated for the same output at 4 or 8 ohms, some actually produce less power into a lower impedance (which means a 4 ohm speaker will actually not play as loud as an 8 ohm speaker).
Very, very few tube amps put out more power into a lower impedance.
Most ss amps produce more watts into a lower impedance, but very few actually double the power.

Here are the ratings of one of my amps: 6w rms pentode 8 ohms/ 3.5w rms pentode 4 ohms - 1.8w rms triode 8 ohms/1.7w rms triode 4 ohms.
As you can see it does not double down, it stays the same or loses output in 4 ohms.

"So what is the expected output power of the Mini at a nominal 8 Ohms speaker load if it boasts 3.3 watts at 4 Ohms?"

From the amp page: The Mini Torii will work with 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers, but will put out the most power into an 8 ohm speaker.  To be sure that fractional amounts of power differences between these three loads are not an issue we recommend speakers that are 93dB 1watt/1meter or higher and ideally 8 ohm.

This tells me that with your amp the DMs are at best 91dB @1m, which is very important when comparing to other speakers.

None of this would be a problem with a 200w/ch amp. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 12/15/14 at 04:45:52

This is the Omega 8" monitor with the "new" driver coming up.  It's said to be rated to 98dB @ 8 ohms.  Considering there is no crossover the first watt theory should apply here very generously and perhaps play as loud as the 99dB Zu Souls since they have a cap in the way.

I have no idea whether the driver will actually be a real 8" because as already mentioned Louis likes to round up or down in his naming conventions.  From what I understand this will almost be as fast as his RS5 and the lower end of the RS7, yet more resolving than the RS7.  This should be on your short list if you want to run without a subwoofer.  If you are going to run a sub, then I would also consider the RS5 driver.

If you're handy with a wrench, you may want to take a look into the open baffle kits by Pure Audio Project.  They are like the Ikea of open baffle speakers as everything comes flat packed and need to be put together by the purchaser.  You can choose to purchase the baffle kits with the size openings you need and then get your own drivers or they can supply those.  If you can source the drivers locally you may be able to save a bit of dough.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #27 - 12/15/14 at 20:09:02

Lin,

I'm sorry I had not read your link when I replied to your statements. I then did and found out you are absolutely right. My mistake.

So, as it goes, my current efficiency is 91 Db at 8 Ohms, which means I could live with anything from 93 Db and higher at 8 Ohms given my current setup.

Thanks so much for your valid inputs.

beowulf,

The pictured speakers in your link (Audiocircle's) is a fake and belongs to a discontinued pair of speakers as you can see here:

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/builtproductions.html

The fact that Louis is designing a new 8" driver is probably true and it will probably beat everything else in his stable (other things being equal). The problem is when would these be available and how many initial bugs people will get from them in the first production runs.

The smartest move would be to wait for things to settle and then make the acquisition. Buy then, though, I may have found other valuable choices. We'll see.

I think my choice will end up with either the new Omegas if they become available relatively soon, or the venerable Soul Mk 2 if I can get me a deal.

Thanks for your contribution, I may consider the wait.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 12/15/14 at 21:13:28

The pic may be photo shopped from one of the Outlaw models he built previously, but it is there for the purpose of what the new model is intended to look like with the new circular grill design. etc.  At this point I don't know if the driver is 100% complete at this point though.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #29 - 12/15/14 at 22:11:33

Someone suggested the possibility of two Decware imminent offerings which may finally close the existing gap of moderately priced and highly efficient speakers.

1. Bob's MTM horn speakers (from Decfest) - Any relation to El Camino's Project?

2. Steve's DNA with the Mark Audio driver

Although I don't really know anything about these designs, other than what was announced by Steve recently, I tend to also believe these may make good alternatives.

Does anyone know what the price range of these would be and how close are these to production/distribution?

Thanks for any hints.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #30 - 12/15/14 at 23:32:58

Thanks for pointing that out, Lin. This only leaves me with the hope of getting a convenient answer from Louis regarding these two possible choices (the second one is the least convincing given its price is paying for cosmetics and the technology is older):

1.http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super7monitor.html

2.http://omegaloudspeakers.com/hemptonecompact8.html

These are 2/3 the cost of the Zu Audio Soul Mk2

Then, there's the more sofisticated Alnico Monitor:

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/superalnicomonit.html

at 85% of the Soul's retail price but at lower sensitivity (93 Db at 8 Ohms).

BTW, the Souls would be 1/3 heavier than Omega alternatives, which would translate into higher shipping costs my way.

Decisions, decisions ... What do you guys think?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 12/16/14 at 01:24:02

I wouldn't call the Super 7 drivers "old tech"  they are only about 2 years into production and the RS5 drivers have been around for a bit longer.  But the Omega RS5 driver is kind of like Decware's Super Zen in that ~ although it's been around for a while, it is still his most revered product.  The RS5 has been known to sway Harbeth owners over to the Omega side which says a heck-of-a-lot IMO.

Since the RS5 is crossoverless I'm thinking it will be easier to drive than your current speakers.  The RS7 is even more efficient and finally the 8" (maybe it will be called the RS8) is even more efficient and approaching horn efficiency, but still with single driver coherency, speed and imaging.  There's no bad choice here, just what works for you, your gear and your room. Wink  With the Mini Torii I would forget about the AlNiCo, although it could drive them I'm unsure if it will be to satisfactory volume compared to Louis' other offerings.

The Zu Souls are more expensive and (at least to me) sexier than Omega and Decware ... but they are still fairly new, so used ones seem few and far between, but if you are patient enough you could hold out for a used pair.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #32 - 12/16/14 at 09:19:16

beowulf,

Indeed, I was referring to the second link in my previous post (Hemptone Compact 8 - thanks Lin!) when I stated these are already discontinued and older technology drivers, and not the new Super 7 Monitor (which is one of my favorite candidates).

You make good points, though, and I agree with your view on the Alnicos, although Louis has stated these to be the best drivers he has produced ... pitty.

Given the price and bulk isssues, and the fact that I actually prefer the freedom and versatility of complementing the lows with an active Sub instead of a floorstanding integrating everything in one smallish cabinet, I believe the Super 7 to be the best Omega option for me.

Now, if the new 8" driver is already available with a lenient introductory price, I'd jump on those! Wink

The only other alternative I can still consider so far are the Lore 2.0 from Tekton. The intro price is excellent for what it offers. It has practically the same efficiency of the Souls and more than all of the other candidates and it can boost full low frequency performance. Problem is, it is a heavier shipping subject than all and it may be overkill in my smallish listening setup. The uncertainty of the real impedance curve and the presence of crossovers makes me hesitant also, but I would love to take advantage of this much value.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #33 - 12/18/14 at 05:34:52

This is a reply from Louis (Omega Speaker Systems):

Hi David,

Thanks and the best way to go is the all new 8" driver in the wide baffle design that comes with the stands in a package.

They will start at $1850 a pair with the stands and shipping to Florida is very easy.

The speakers will be very dynamic and will be 98 dB sensitive. These are golden ratio wide baffle cabinets and sound fantastic and look great too.

Thanks, Louis

What do you guys think? Its still way expensive for me, but quite tempting ... Man!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 12/18/14 at 14:16:15

Those do sound enticing, would love to see them. Hopefully he posts them on his website soon.

JD

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 12/18/14 at 17:06:20

Those are going to throw a nice, big soundstage and will be super easy to drive (almost effortless for the 4 watts the Mini Torii puts out).  If they truly have the detail and speed of the RS5 but oomph of the RS7 in the lower end this will be a great speaker and I may actually consider a pair for myself.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #36 - 12/18/14 at 19:30:02

Right, beowulf, agreed. I feel I can afford them, barely, but I ask myself, is it worth it? I mean, if the Tektons are any good, their new models Lore Reference and Lore 2.0 are selling at a bargain USD 800 and USD 900, respectively. These are also quite efficient and the 2.0 is a new complete floorstanding piece. Some people even consider Tektons full range speakers with an added tweeter ... whether that is true or not I have not confirmed it yet. But the reviews seem very positive on all the Lore-based model offerings.

Back to the Omegas, I'm already used to complementing the lower frequencies with my Sub, as the DM 945's don't go deep nor have strong bass in general. This leaves the door open to the Super 3U Monitors, which are also USD 800 and have the versatile RS5 drivers though less efficient at 94.5 Db (still 3.5 Db better than my DM 945's at 8 Ohms).

The Super 7 Monitors go for USD 1,350 but do not include stands as in the new driver's case, so one would think the USD 500 difference is the cost of the stands.

Is it worth a difference of USD 1,000 against the Tektons or the Omega Super 3U? Also, buying the new Omega 8" driver speakers is a leap of faith, as there are not even pictures or descriptions about it anywhere ...

Finally, if I'm doing this, the end result better be a very tangible sound quality improvement relative to my good DM 945's, so no side steps for me, thank you.

Decisions, decisions!    Help! Undecided

PS: Has anyone with a low powered Decware amp used the original, better known, Tekton Lore, Lore S or M-Lore speakers?

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 12/18/14 at 21:40:23

With a crossover like this, I definitely wouldn't consider the Tektons full range designs.  These seem to be essentially two ways with pro drivers using maybe higher crossover frequencies.  I've yet to hear one of their designs, but I'd love to.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #38 - 12/18/14 at 21:55:55

seikosha,

I'm sorry, did you post an image about the Tekton crossovers? If you did, it did not show in my screen, sorry. Thanks.

Oh! it's up now, I can see it.

Wait a minute ... It vanished again!

There you go ... Yep, it looks complicated indeed. If this is representative of the newer lineup at Tekton, no wonder the price/performance difference vs. Zu Audio and Omega.

Thanks

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #39 - 12/19/14 at 12:15:15

Ok, thanks to seikosha for bringing out the actual missing link that would explain why the Tektons, good value as these may be, are not on par with real full-driver and two-way crossoverless designs. Shame, because the price on the Tektons is really appealing for what they offer otherwise.

Continuing my search, I have not yet received answer from Louis about a break on his high introductory price on that new model which nobody has yet seen, nor his appraisal in terms of distribution leadtimes.

Which means it is very likely my final short list would consist of:

1. Omega Super 3 U (94.5 Db @ 8 Ohms, RS5 driver) at USD 800 - These are slightly larger than my DM 945's, so maybe not much of an improvement in the lower frequency, weight and slam department.

2. Omega Super 7 (95 Db at 8 Ohms, RS7 driver) - These are significantly larger, with expected positive 'oomph' effects.

3.  Zu Audio Soul at a bargain price (either new through a factory deal or used) - These would be great but as the new Omega 8", are out of my 'reasonable' budget.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #40 - 12/19/14 at 17:04:38

Tell me if you see any good deals on any of the better Zu Audio speakers, especially if they are in that fantastic blue they used to do. I'm selling my Anthony Gallo 3.1 so I can give some Zu Audio a spin in my room.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 12/19/14 at 17:10:49

Fireblade,
Very good deal on audiogon for a pair of omega xrs for under a g.

JD

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #42 - 12/19/14 at 22:04:42

LR,

I sure will, but I'm afraid this time of the year there are no sales or special deals due to the increased demand. Come late January, things may change.

JD,

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the factory going price for a brand new set of Super 3 XRS (same model) is just USD 1,095 so a USD 100 break for something used helps, but is no big deal, IMO.

I should scratch the Super 7 Monitor from my previous message, as it would be the same price for the new 8" driver plus special stands. Not much value in comparison.

I also need to point out I don't have sophisticated stands, just some heavy ones made of wood, which work fine if both the speakers and the stands are placed on top of a 2" polyfoam bedding. No vibration, but bass may suffer some.

This made me think I either go with floorstanders or buy a monitor and special stands. This of course will increase the price on the monitors.

If I go with floorstanders, there are just three possibilities:

1. Super 3S Slim Tower (USD 995) - Most bass on Super 3 Series
2. Super 3 XRS (USD 1,095)
3. Zu Audio (USD 2,000)

If I go Monitor plus stands, the new 8" Monitor from Omega is a no-brainer, as it will cost the same as the Super 7 Monitor (USD 1,850), although the Super 3 U is theoretically still in the game (USD 800 plus est. USD 400 for special stands), but a lesser candidate in terms of expected performance as it is just slghtly larger than my DM 945's.

I hate to dwell on this, folks, but somehow I need a sounding board on this decision process. Thanks

PS: Just got word from Louis (Omega):

Hi David,

Thanks and I'm building them now and I have many drivers on order. I hope to get them very soon. I can discount them $180 without the stands.

Thanks, Louis

This makes it USD 1,670, but I'm not sure the difference (evidently his net cost on those stands) is worth not having the specially designed stands for these speakers, so it still remains a USD 1,850 choice for me.

Come to think of it some more, I either do it (Omega new 8" drivers or Zu Souls Audio), or I just dismiss this project altogether, since to really beat my DM 945's I need to face the market premium on the best technology around for my specific needs.

I just need to digest the investment amount in my mind ...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 12/19/14 at 22:37:28

Just browsing and it caught my attention that the Axiom speaker model m50 V4 is a very efficient multi-driver speaker and at a great price.  

I've never personally heard them, but I read that the owner of Bryston Audio went to Axiom when it came time to build Bryston's own brand of speakers for a couple good reasons (1) he felt Axiom made great speakers and one of the most knowledgeable designers out there, and (2) even more important perhaps is that Axiom has their own state of the art research facility and are known to use pretty rigorous testing procedures that include double blind studies on all their designs as well.

Anyways, just thought I would throw this out there Grin

edit: they do have b-stock and outlet speakers too and the actually post measurements which is getting rare these days.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #44 - 12/20/14 at 00:05:31

Lin,

I understand. I'm not saying it is a bad deal, I'm saying is not a big deal for my case, since the last thing I need to invest in is in cosmetics. I may barely afford acquiring this level of sound reproduction technology, never mind the aesthetics, if you know what I mean. But thanks for pointing that out, I'm sure the WAF level on those is quite good for someone else. I just cannot force the seller to ignore the cosmetic value on those speakers to my benefit.

beowulf,

Thanks for the heads up. If you look at their specs, all those floorstanders require a mínimum RMS amp power of 10 watts. My Mini is just 4 watts at 8 Ohms.

Another issue is these are no different from Tekton designs, as both share multi-drivers and evidently crossovers. Tektons have a huge group of followers also.

Finally, the impedance curve shows significant peaks (up to 20 Ohms) and valleys (around 6 Ohms), making it a difficult impedance curve for my Mini. In particular, the very audible 1k to 5k range of frequencies shows a progressively high impedance curve that averages about 13 Ohms.

Bare in mind these may be excellent speakers with the right amp, but are not suited for mine, I'm afraid.

PS: An excerpt of an article published by Enjoy the Music.com (Brazilian Dario De Souza Melo):

I will try to show on the listing below the loudspeaker systems more adequate to be driven by SET amplifiers. Giving advice to take care with many factors that could annoy the marriage. By example; very low impedance, very large impedance range, quantity of ways (four or five-way systems) and consequently the resistance offered by the required complex crossover, deficiency on cabinet construction in the case of loaded horns that imparts large amount of distortion etc.

SET amplifier 0.5 to 1.9 watts  and loudspeaker with 104 to 108dB/W/m
2 to 5 watts            100 to 103
SET 6 to 20 watts      96 to 99
20 to 40 watts          92 to 97
45 to 60 watts          90 to 97
65 to 100 watts        89 to 97
< than 100 watts      87 to 94

Here's the link to that article:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/1099/setamplifiers.htm

So, as you can see, I should be aiming at something at least 100 Db for my Mini Torii. The fact that Beam Tetrodes (like the 6V6 output tubes in my Mini) are more punchy in the general frequency spectrum (Triodes are punchier at low frequencies), I may get away with only 97-98 Db, but less than that is not ideal.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 12/20/14 at 00:36:41

I know you ruled out DIY earlier in the thread, but I've got just the thing for you if you're willing to glue, clamp, etc.  

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/M18-T772/Main.html

Similar TB W-8 driver as Decware is now using in the ZOB;  reasonably flat impedance that never dips below 8 ohms; 95db/w straight up, and only down to 94db/w with bsc (I recommend it).  On paper, it seems like a great match for your MT, and at least 3db more sensitive than your current speakers (like doubling amp power, woohoo!)

Plans are dirt cheap if you have a local artisan who will build the cabs for you, and the drivers are about $250/pr.  These are among the few wide banders I can actually tolerate, and that's saying a lot.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #46 - 12/20/14 at 01:23:16

ski bum,

Much obliged for the valid suggestion. In normal circumstances, that would be the best way to go.

Unfortunately, I'm out of free time for the next 5 years or so. My son from a second marriage is starting college and I have to pay for his tuition. So, after having spent some forced retirement time (too early, I must say), I've been luckily back at work for some time now, and I'm planning to keep working until close to 70 years old, God allowing, until the kid graduates.

Besides, I have no manual skills, nor do I have the tooling or appropriate physical environment to perform such a task. Finally, I really enjoy my little free time, which I distribute between two hobbies and exercise (my other hobby is sportbike riding).

As you can see, between the long hours at work and over two hours of average daily commuting time, there's little I can do outside those activities, if I want to keep a 'normal' life. But that's ok, I'll find the way to get the resources to be able to eventually accomplish this.

These last two weeks I've been on vacation so I've been more connected to this forum than I can normally allow myself.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #47 - 12/20/14 at 01:47:47

Lin,

Well, everybody has his/her own conceptions about it. The reference I cited is from a purist audiophile, and although I agree those limits may be somewhat excessive, they're still a general guide on the relative needs for sensitivity across low amp power distributions. I think the reference's real excesses come when describing the moderate to higher amp power limits, as these guys are mostly into SET configurations and I believe they are just making a linear extrapolation of their low-watt experiences.

The thing that motivates me the most with this project (and an interesting way of investing part of my scarce free time) is discovering the real limits of my Mini Torii and get to the bottom of its design potential to make me enjoy more my music.

Some people do it differently, and that's ok too. I know there's better sound potential in my setup, and plan to gradually get there, even though it is a never-ending proposition.

The real mistery in this aim is the barrier of tradeoffs ... what is the sound quality price of going too far in sensitivity, other things being equal, aside from the volumetric cabinet limits faced by drivers in the low frequencies, for example. This I would like to discover also.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #48 - 12/20/14 at 02:09:08

Have you heard low-power SET's or SEP's at 103 Dbs? I don't, so I must hear that for myself. Regarding the other, higher power amp groups, I agree, as I noted in my last reply. And again, this reference is NOT a typical home setting environment, but hard core audiophile territory. I'm just citing it because it supports my view in the 2-4 power amp case.

Here's the deal: My Mini needs more freedom to breath sound through the loudspeakers than it's been allowed by my current setup. That is why there are high efficiency drivers out there. I'm sure more detail and realism will stem from this more conducive scenario, which, BTW is not at all excentric these days.

In the beginning, there were SET's and SEP's of low power run through high efficiency speakers. Then the transistors changed all that ... I would be happy finding out the sound quality limits of this setup through freer speaker interfaces.

Not different from having a ZMA exploit the PP design glories through more complicated but theoretically realistic loudspeakers at lower sensitivity ratings ... Different horses for different courses.

Happy listening!

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 12/20/14 at 12:18:34

Fireblade you said something in your last post that caught my eye about your mini needing more breathing room.  I have a mini too and my main criticism is that I often felt that the amp could at times have a closed in dense sound.  I spent hundreds of dollars trying to address this through tube rolling and while I could lessen this sound, I never could eliminate it.

Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a pervasive flaw, but it was something that would pop up with various recordings.  For sure I would have blamed it on my speakers if I hadn't heard them with other amps so I knew it was just a characteristic of the mini Torii.

One day I heard the little zen amp in my system and was shocked by the change.  All of the sudden, the music breathed where it didn't before and there was a noticeable increase in micro dynamics, speed and transparency.  Although the mini certainly would play louder, the zen actually sounded like it had more power.   It would follow the dynamics of the music in ways making it sound like it the amp had a more effortless way of handling the speaker load.

There are times when I still prefer the presentation of the mini and I pop it into my system all the time depending on what I'm listening to where I can listen to it for weeks and not hear that thickness until I play certain recordings where it jumps out.  I just wanted to point out something that I've picked out as a characteristic of that amp that may be leading you to change speakers when in fact this might not give you the change you are looking for.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #50 - 12/20/14 at 13:59:48

Hi seikosha,

Interesting viewpoint, which addresses an inconclusive argument about SET's and SEP's. Of course, you have the advantage of comparing both alternatives in your setup, which I don't.

I still think the SEP amp configuration's sound is very close to a SET's, with individual characteristics that differentiate them all right. But at the core of the issue, is both designs need critically not to be cluttered by crossovers, impedance curve complexities and cabinet volume restraints, as well as limited drivers' speed and dynamics. Maybe part of the differences you hear stem from the Mini requiring relatively more breathing room than the Super Zen, just because of its beam tetrode nature, which BTW adds some 'PEP' to its presentation.

Whether the differences you hear are explained by those design tradeoffs is a matter for experts to decide, but to me, I would not conclude anything until I hear my Mini without evident restraints.

This is not different to improving cables and power supply sources. Each may have differing power requirements to excell. At the end of the day, what counts is whether your amp is at its best so that you can really enjoy that design as it was intended. Again, the Super Zen may requiere less sensitivity than the Mini, not because of power restrictions but because of the way those output tubes behave. In addition, the Super Zen has a more straightforward signal path relative to the Mini's tube voltage-regulated, slightly more complex circuit. This difference may require less resistance down the road than the SuperZen.

It may be that some people prefer SET's to SEP's, but sound quality is a complex notion, and Triode midrange magic is not the only trait involved in the musicality and realism projected by these devices.

If I were to go by your suggestion, I should forget about my speaker quest and just buy a Super Zen (cheaper solution, BTW) and call it a day. Is this really your proposal?

Just two things stop me from grabbing the easy way out:

1. My DM 945's cabinet volume is evidently limited/taxed by physical dimensions, yielding sound traits for a diminished physical size compromise.

2. Given the affordable price, my DM 945's don't have the best drivers out there, nor its design compares with good, full-driver designs.

You may be right, seikosha, and raise good points, but I have to say, I still need to compare apples to apples, and the Mini's optimal setting is beyond what my loudspeakers offer, good as these are for the money.

I may be wrong, of course.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #51 - 12/20/14 at 20:15:36

In my last post I speculated about Beam Tetrodes possibly needing more 'room to breath' (sensitivity) from the speakers.

For the sake of argument, let's see this from a purely quantitative approach:

A 91 Db /W /M (at 8 Ohms) speaker will produce, with the Mini Torii, about 91 Db (SPL) at 2 meters from the speakers (91+3+3-6) Dbs.

Let's just say this is achieved at the maximum (undistorted) volume level in the Mini.

Now, use a 97 Db/W/M speaker instead, and now you get (97+3+3-6) = 97 Dbs of SPL at 2 meters from the speakers. In this second scenario, if you want the same level of loudness as before (with the 91 Db/W/M speakers), you have a significant volume potential in reserve for all the dynamics, slam and overall music presence, including some nuances that did not get through in the original scenario, just because the power on the Mini was at its clipping limits.

This is what I'm talking about. That Triodes presumably tend to do better than Beam Tetrodes under the same conditions (i.e., show more nuances and better overall sound performance vis á vis the Beam Tetrode), is something that, if objectively true, stems from inherent output tube properties we cannot modify.

So, if I want the best out of my Mini, I need to partner it with significantly higher sensitivity speakers. Although the same principle applies to the Triode configuration (and every other tube amp, for that matter), it may be that in the Triode case these nuances show up at lower SPL levels, other things being equal. Again, an inherent property we cannot change.

Another relevant complication with the Mini Torii design that reinforces the described situation derives from its highly sensitive gain. The specs show it will achieve max power at 2 Volts from the source input. In many cases, this input voltage (from DACs or CD Players,etc.) is literally 12.5 to 25 percent higher than the 2 Volts maximum power set by the designer's preamp circuit. Naturally, the volume pot has to be further restricted in its range in order to avoid clipping.

The higher the speakers' sensitivity, the better the scenario for the Mini to overcome this near-clipping zone and still maintain enough loudness SPL and volume in reserve, which translates into better dynamics, slam, oomph and nuance detail.

Just my thoughts.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 12/20/14 at 20:47:57

Hey Fireblade,  buy some damn speakers already....Jeez...

Zu Audio "Souls" or Omega 8" Monitors would both be great.  You need to stop the Blah Blah Blah and get down to listening...hehe  Mark.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #53 - 12/20/14 at 20:59:30

You are right, I may be overdoing it ... Part of the decision-making process, I guess. I'll continue on my own. And, I agree, its either of those two, or bust. Thanks for the "hint."

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #54 - 12/20/14 at 22:05:52

Fireblade,
How long did it take you come to the decision to buy a Fireblade?
My real hobby is motorcycling, this stereo stuff is just a small sideline.
I am interested in your decision making process of a motorcycle vs a pair of speakers.
Did you fret about what was the lightest or the best handling?
I guarantee that your motorcycle is much more capable than you are, as I am sure that your stereo sounds better than you can hear.
Lighten up, it only about listening to music. As long as you can hear it, it is all good.  

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 12/21/14 at 02:36:42

Alternative loudspeakers, no preamp, DAC or amp required:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9wUHlOCDg

Yes, it's in French.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #56 - 01/09/15 at 02:19:18

Just for the benefit of those who contributed positively to this thread, here's my final update:

Today I pulled the trigger on a pair of Tekton Lore 2.0 with Clarity Caps (98 dBs at 8 Ohm).

I consulted with Steve before deciding and he endorsed both Tekton and Omega speakers for the Mini, based on his customer base feedback and his familiarity with those two design concepts.

In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying my DM 945's and will compare them to the new acquisition after an expected longish burn-in.

Thanks!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/09/15 at 02:34:46

I'll be looking forward to your impressions a lot of people seem to love them.  Also keep us informed with the lead and delivery times ... I've heard it's hit and miss with him, but perhaps its gotten better since the last 2 years or so though.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #58 - 01/09/15 at 02:48:45

Thanks Beowulf.

I don't have a clue what to expect regarding the logistics. I spoke to Eric this afternoon and he seemed quite supportive, but I know in my case he will need to work on the Caps replacement, so that will delay matters some.

I'll post my impressions when these babies reach steady-state.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #59 - 01/09/15 at 14:06:27

Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Tekton speakers. I keep running into forum posts on them while researching the Zu Audio speakers. Seems very comparable, and maybe something I should keep an eye on myself.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #60 - 01/09/15 at 15:10:14

Thanks, LR.

I think the different design implementations out there are all subject to tradeoff choices. In the Tektons' case, the value proposition may hopefully not betray sound quality.

IMO the best compromise should be a loudspeaker capable of displaying the full frequency spectrum with slam and PRAT by combining a highly sensitive large full driver with a complementing tweeter through a single, benign crossover. This would allow the Mini to show its best, at its preferred load Impedance rating (8 Ohms).

My choice is based on this bet, but the proof is in the pudding, and we'll find out soon enough.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #61 - 01/11/15 at 05:43:01

I have a friend who currently owns a pair of Tekton Lore-S' and a pair of Decware HDT's.  He also "had" a pair of Audio Nirvana 15" cast frame ferrite's in DIY 8.0 cu/ft cabs(these are now mine).  To his ears and to mine... the HDT's are better than the Tekton Lore-S when driven by either his 40 watt EL34 ASL integrated or my Torii III w/Jupiters.  And my Torii smokes the ASL on either the HDT's or the  Lore-S'.  My friend is now looking for a mk3 Torii.

I now have 3 different pairs of Audio Nirvana full range, high efficiency drivers.  I am completely smitten by these drivers.  You have to be willing to DIY to implement these, and willing to take the time to dial them in.  But once there, I have never heard such life like music in my room.  I have tried other tube amps with them, including some very, very expensive and highly regarded amps, but there is some special synergy and magic going on between these Audio Nirvana drivers and the Decware Torii mk.3.  I've heard nothing else yet, at any price, that I would rather own.

I have a pair of Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's in 5.6 cu/ft boxes.  I've had these going about 2 years now.  They are really, really good.  Nobody who has heard them yet, has failed to not go ga-ga over them. The pair of 15" ferrites(bought from my friend) are about to go-live in a pair of Hawthorne Audio Trio open baffles as a replacement for the Hawthorne PSI coaxial unit.  And I have a spare pair of 12" Ferrites awaiting a future project that I bought from RandyInCaintuck on this forum(thanks Randy).

The 15" AN's in the 8.0 box as implemented by the guy my buddy bought them from, were a little hot in the presence region and a little "spitty"...lacking body and warmth.  My 12 Alnico's excel at smoothness, body, warmth.  The box the 15"s were in was not properly damped or very well built and my friend, much younger than me, from the "instant gratification" generation had neither the patience, skills or tools to properly implement the speakers and fix up the box.  I offered to help him, but he had just got the HDT's and didn't want to mess with any DIY, so the 15" AN's became mine.  He had the Tekton Lore-S' prior.

We did a shoot out at his place between the HDT's, Lore-S', 15" Audion Nirvana's, and my 12" Alnico Audio Nirvana's.  My 12" Alnico's driven by my Torii 3 were the overall winner.  The 15" AN's when properly implemented should be better... I'll soon see.  But in his smaller room, the Decware HDT's and Torii 3 were really the best match.  He's currently using the HDT's and his ASL integrated.
 His Lore-S' may be for sale, if he hasn't already sold them... if anybody's interested - let me know and I'll put you in contact with him.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #62 - 01/11/15 at 16:19:38

Interesting observations.

Of course, the Lore S have been superseded by Lore Reference and Lore 2.0. In fact, when I spoke to Eric Alexander from Tekton, he never even hint at the Lore S option, suggesting instead the Lore Reference or Lore 2.0, depending on whether I preferred more slam and dynamics from the larger 10" drivers in the latter.

I wish I had the means to DIY, but maybe when I retire (which is not happening anytime soon), I could give it a try.

I would have picked HDT's if these would have been within my budget constraints, as these are about the only ones in the Decware lineup at higher sensitivity ratings.

Omega's Alnico driver-based Monitors (hempcone) would have been great too, except at a lower sensitivity rating (93 dBs), which would not have been enough for the Mini Torii.

I guess you get what you pay for, but my search led me to the Lore 2.0 and I hope these do not disappoint.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/11/15 at 18:06:16

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/yields.html

Maddog's post made me think of these which use the AN Super 10...not sure if they're an option for FB at this point.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #64 - 02/15/15 at 17:27:29

It's time to offer preliminary impressions on my new Tekton Lore 2.0's, with Clarity Caps.

I have also made some additional room treatment tweaks and placed my SUB between the two speakers, right next to the right one. Speakers are sitting on spikes over a rug.

With only 31 hrs of break-in and 169 hrs away from absolute steady-state (according to the designer), I can proudly say my system sounds better than ever.

Now I enjoy more body and slam, and at the same time equal or even better detailing, without any fatigue. The best sound comes with my Brimar 12AT7's replacing the RCA 12AU7 black plates, as the former used to be somewhat overly beamy with the DM945's, while the 12AU7's now sound fine but tend to be darker in sound and miss some of the details the Brimar's mine out.

One of the features I enjoy more now is the fact that my dial is only at 9:30 for most of my selections (whereas before the most used range was between 12:00 and 1:00. With classical music the level of reserve is evident in the dynamic passages and there is a more coherent flow of the sound overall.

Still early, but I expect further improvements by the end of the year, which is when I believe the new speakers will attain the 200 hour mark.

The DM945's are slightly more transparent in the high registers, but with a recessed mid-range and a somewhat less defined bass, as it had to be reinforced with my SUB as high as 75 Hz and usually 65 Hz. Now, my SUB is just getting in at 50 Hz, with a nice, deep and tighter sound.

I believe all the details are there with the new speakers, just in a more coherent, flatter distribution, without high-mids bumps or piercing highs in some bad recordings. The SPL I find myself listening to these days is lower than before, probably due to the more coherent frequency distribution.

All the above impressions are from listening during non-peak AC power demand hours, which in my place recently tend to affect voltage and reduce the quality and SPL of the presentation from voltage drops.

I feel my Mini is working in a more relaxed environment and offering its best this way, thanks to the higher nominal impedance and speaker sensitivity.

Coherence and slam with all the details is exactly what I was looking for and I'm finally getting. I think the DM945's are terrific speakers in their own right, which need more power or be used as bookshelf speakers or coupled to the Monolith cabinets to be at their best.

Thanks

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #65 - 02/22/15 at 16:45:06

An amazing read this post is. Thank you Decware Forum members for sharing your opinions, knowledge and insight. Thank you David (FB) for you personal message. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 02/25/15 at 08:16:59

Hey Maddog! I just got back from the St. Louis area, and while I was there I visited David @ Commonsense Audio. I auditioned his 15" AN (neodymium), and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. Lots of detail, big soundstage. They were in one of the medium-large cabinets (the shallower of the 5.6 cu ft, I believe), and he said that the bass would be better in a larger/deeper cabinet. He suggested his 8 cu ft cab if I had the room for it. Still pretty good, though, even in the smaller box. I'll be interested to hear your review of yours when you get the boxes done.

Randy

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/25/15 at 21:26:10

@ maddog07 - how do you feel about AlNiCo drivers and rock music?  A lot of people I have spoken with seem to think that rock (hard rock, prog type stuff) are better suited to Ferrite or Neo magnets where AlNiCo is better suited to Jazz and slower classic rock. orchestral type stuff.

In fact, I originally wanted a pair of Omega's with their 6" Hemp AlNiCo magnets, but after speaking with Louis he steered me towards the ferrite RS7s as he said that they tend to breakup less and can take more punishment with harder rock types of music.  The thing is ... although I do listen mostly to rock and its sub genres ~ lately I have been getting more into Jazz and am now about 60% rock and 40% Jazz/Classical where as before I was 95/5.  That and the fact that his Hemp AlNiCos are touted as his best drivers, better texturing layers and ths most even tonally throughout the frequency spectrum make me really want to hear a pair.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 02/25/15 at 23:51:53

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 02/26/15 at 01:28:49

@ DBC - yes I've read that, but did you notice in your own "Speaker Recommendation" thread that you started ... the first thing that Canada Rob recommended was the Ferrite based RS7 driver after seeing your music preferences?  So anytime anybody says "rock" they don't handily recommend the AlNiCo's.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 02/26/15 at 14:49:00

beowulf,

In about a month I will be able to give you some feedback on the Omega Alnico Super 6 Monitors, I have a pair on order. Like you, Rob and Louis suggested I consider the Super 7 MK2. I ultimately made my decision based on these attributes:

Quote:
Quote from Omega website:

Compared to ferrite magnet counterparts, the sound produced by Omega Alnico drivers:

Is better balanced and more linear across the frequency spectrum.

Has better texture and layering.

Offers higher resolution (especially noticeable in the mid-bass area, with instruments like standup bass and kick-drums.

Generally I find as resolution & clarity improve then shear volume output capability become less important to me. In other words you get to a point where "All the music is there" at a lower volume setting.

The impression I got from Rob and Louis was this: If you were to compare the Super 6 & Super 7 to each without a Sub then the Super 7 is likely to win out on shear output capability with Rock music. Also you have to consider available amp power and speaker sensitivity.

In my case I use the Hsu Mid Bass Module and Hsu 15" Sub to reinforce the low end (this combo makes any speaker sound much larger). I chose the Super 6 because I felt this would provide the Highest Quality reproduction.

I also have a Peachtree 220se integrated amp, so available power will not be an issue. I plan to use my 2 watt Super Zen for comparison. If I only had the Super Zen then I probably would have gone with the more efficient Super 7 ???

DBC   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #71 - 02/26/15 at 15:23:02

Just a comment: I believe the Omega Alnico drivers would be the best choice if it wasn't for the limited sensitivity for smaller amps, like mine ... Otherwise, everything I researched about these monitors put them on top of any short list. Besides, in general, a good SUB/Mid Bass support is always welcome, regardless of speaker type and with the Alnico one should get the best presentation overall.

One need only have an amp with watts in at least the teens, to make this work, though.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 02/26/15 at 16:10:50

DBC,  I think you'll really like your new omegas.  Your purchase has moved me to put in my custom Omega Alinco 7XRS...these have the 6" alinco drivers I think you're getting.  It's only been recently that Luis has redone his product names.  I have to tell you that I have to use a Amperex 6DJ8 (taking out the 7308s) in my Mono Blocks to tone down the treble...which is very extended on the Alincos. I'll go find a pic of mine and post it.  Mark.

PS...The pic on the ebay ad from may of 2014 is no longer available.  I thought I posted a pic on the forums but can't find it after wasting far too much time looking.  The speaker has a narrower baffle and is deeper than what Luis traditionally has built...it was a one off by Luis that I bought used on ebay.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 02/26/15 at 22:15:48

@ DBC - I'm defintely waiting for your impressions on the AlNiCo's.  Especially with the Zen Triode.  I too am not interested in decibles as most of my listening is at lower levels at night when everybody is already sleeping.  I do rock the house occasionally during the day, but not to some exorbitant levels and will be using with sub as I love bass.

@ FB - I also agree that I would be more comfortable with a higher wattage amp such as the Torii to have enough headroom to cover all of my bases.  With DBC's Peachtree he will be in good company.

@ Mark58 - I am not totally sure, but I believe you have the 7" AlNiCo which were designated RS7A drivers.  Those are different drivers than the 6" AlNiCo Hemps driver that are used in the AlNiCo Monitors and Super AlNiCo XRS.  It's just my guestimation though, but I know for sure that at one time he had three 7" Drivers, the RS7 (regular), RS7V (vintage) and RS7A (AlNiCo).  Which seems as if he doesn't produce the RS7V and RS7A any longer.  The difference between the 2 AlNiCos was that the RS7A was a paper cone and the AlNiCo SuperHemp uses Hemp cones and very overbuilt cast aluminum basket.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 02/26/15 at 22:39:54

Beowulf, the RS7A (AlNiCo) was a 6" driver,  I just measured it.  As I recall, when someone asked for a reason for the nomenclature, Louis basically said he liked the 7 name.  The drivers used now look identical to those used before the product line name changes but maybe he did redesigned the Alinco drivers...I don't know.  Mark.  

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 02/27/15 at 00:07:15

@ Mark58 - Yes, you are right, the RS7 cone is 6", but with the basket ring it is 7" (actually  little over 7").  Does that mean the SuperHemp cone is 5" and with the basket 6"? Grin

I guess my whole point is that there were 2 completely different Omega AlNiCo drivers ... the 6" Super Hemp and the RS7A and the Super Hemp has of course hemp cones and the RS7A had paper cones, with the Super Hemp being the best of the best.

There is a quick way to find out ... that is if your curious, if not I wouldn't bother.  But if you unscrew one of the drivers and pull out just far enough to see the basket and motor and if the motor looks like the pic below then it is the 6" SuperHemp, if not it is the RS7A paper.  

It's pretty easy to do as when I originally got my speakers I had the RS7V (vintage, which is no longer in production) and I felt the highs were too rolled off for me so Louis replaced them with a set of the RS7 regulars, basically it was a quick swap that took less then a few minutes to do both drivers.  Another possible way would be to read the sticker on the back it should say Omega Custom and then mine says "RS7 Omega Cone", so if it was the Super Hemp it should say something to that effect of "ALN6LB Omega Cone" ... if so then you have the best Omega drivers he has ever made according to Louis and Rob.

Here is the review from John Darko (Digital Audio Review) where they were the first product he ever awarded called the DAR'KO.  But in the pictures from the review you can see how the drivers are labeled on the back sticker.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 02/27/15 at 00:51:23

Beowulf,  I bought mine used in May 2014.  The prior owner sold them because he couldn't get enough volume with his 5 WPC Glow Amp.  I can't find the pics  but these off the AC forum show an identical cabinet but not the drivers.  The drivers I have are identical to the ones in the second picture of speakers owned by jorgen. The third pic is the driver.  The label on mine is incorrect...and is labeled 95dB and a different driver type but the prior owner sent pictures where he stuck a camera in the ports and took photos of the drivers with the big magnets inside the speakers.  If I can find them, I'll post them.  A post by Canada Rob on the AC site from July 2014 stated the following..."Concerning the 7" alnico driver, there only was one, regardless of how it was, or is labelled, and there are no plans for it's redesign, now or in the future"  I did measure the drivers including the frames and as Louis stated somewhere, they are 7 1/8 inches in diameter (6 1/2 inches without the frames).  Regardless they sound great and you'll love them...I'm sure.  Mark.

PS...I just found the photos but can't figure out how to attach them here.  Anyway they have a black metal square on the back with a white label dated 06/12/13 and Omega Model 7A.

PSS... reading more on the AC site..I found a nice history dated 2/14/15 from which I'll quote.  The link to it is below.  
"The Drivers

Most of Omegas changes over the years have been to the cabinets much more so than to the drivers.  The original Alnico 8" driver was dropped because Louis realized the Alnico 6.5" was better.  He was honest enough to drop the 8" and eat the cost of the large stock of 8s he still had.
The current 6.5" Alnico driver has been in production for years.  The RS5, HempCone 4.5", and the Fostex before it all share the same cabinet hole and screw pattern making the cabinets they are in upgradable to the current driver in cabinets going back more than 10 years.
Many companies change their drivers when they change their cabinets.  Total obsolescence.
The RS7 is the first all new driver for Omega in years (excluding the Hoyt driver).
NOTE: THE RS5 DRIVER IS NOT A MODIFIED FOSTEX, NOR DOES IT USE A FOSTEX BASKET.  THE RS5 IS A "FROM SCRATCH" OMEGA PRODUCT.

Omega speakers are designed and built by Omega in Norwalk, CT, U.S.A.
Even the drivers are made in the U.S.A to Louis' specs and can be had nowhere else than in an Omega speaker.  Many speaker companies barely even touch the products that have their name on them, other than to evaluate them and show them at trade shows."
"The Alnico Series

This series was around before I came into Omega and has, but for small changes, remained essentially the same.  They have cult status and are good enough to be put in the best systems available.  I have one complaint about this series - the price.  They are way underpriced, which sadly, in the minds of some, cheapens them.  Too bad, they're the losers."

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132501.0

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 02/27/15 at 02:24:01

@ Mark - from the looks of the last picture you have the RS7A driver and not the Super Hemp, yours look exactly like mine (except mine are Ferrite).  

From Canada Rob over a Audio Circle:

The top of the line Alnico is more refined in every way than the Super 7 alnico (the sound signature will be similar though), and for a few hundred bucks more than a decked out Super 7, the Alnico still IMO appears to be underpriced...because a decked out 7 is a steal.  Where the Super 7s have their advantage is when ordered in the EKO finishes - $2150 gets you an alnico driver in an XRS speaker.  Back to the Alnico: look at the physical differences in the two alnico drivers - big.  The Alnico HempCone driver has been Louis top of the line for years, and for good reason.

That being said, you can take pride in knowing that your AlNiCo drivers (while not being the SuperHemps) are for sure the best sounding of the RS7 (RS7, RS7V and RS7A) series of drivers and very similar in many ways to the SuperHemp.  In fact ... I believe the reason Louis stopped making the RS7A were because they were crowding in on the SuperHemps.

I would love to hear those sometime!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 02/27/15 at 11:46:05

Beowulf,  you are correct.  Before yesterday I didn't realize that there had been two different Alinco drivers, both 6.5", being sold at the same time but the photos of the OEM drivers on the Omega site are clear.  The Alinco Hemp has a much different basket and the frame has not four screws like the 7 series but 6.  Also the Hemp material is Greenish not black like the 7A.  So I guess the RS7A is no longer available.  Actually the 7 series is now one driver not three.  And the price to get an "Alinco Driver" vs the RS7 driver is large...the difference between a Super 7XRS in laminate ($1495) and the Alinco XRS ($2995)...$1500.  Regardless, what I have sounds fantastic.  Mark

PS...if you take into account the extra $400 for wood veneer you are paying $1100 to go from the 6.5" RS7  driver to the 6.5" Alnico driver.  The other thing I'm thinking is with the different frame, would the Alinco Hemp fit in a 7XRS hole?  In the past you could buy and switch out your 6.5" drivers to any one of the three options that were available.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 02/27/15 at 19:54:20

@ Mark - there was a time that Louis was talking about "driver rolling" (the same concept as tube rolling) where you could easily swap in/out all 3 different RS7 drivers to get different flavors and use them for different music, etc.  I thought this was a cool concept, but for some reason it didn't pan out.  My biggest guess as to why this didn't work is probably because the RS7A pricing was crowding in on the SuperHemp.

I've heard 2 out of the 3 RS7 drivers (the only one I haven't heard was the RS7A).  Out of the 2 that I did hear the RS7V Vintage while having a great midrange, the highs were just too rolled off for me ... the RS7 Regular I felt was more well rounded with the same midrange, but also highs were very good ... It's my best guess that your AlNiCos are even better as Canada Rob said not only did they have the mids and highs of the other two, but the RS7As were the best tonally and smoothest throught the frequency range on top of that.

At any rate, I hope to aspire to a pair of SuperHemp Monitors at one time or another as I just need to hear that SuperHemp! Grin

On a side note, DaveC from ZenWave Audio (who has some really good ears IMO) has heard quite a few of the Omega drivers that Louis has produced and he has mentioned to me that Omega can easily compete with the expensive Single Driver offerings from Voxativ and others.  The only single driver speakers he heard that were significantly better than the Omegas were a set of RL Acoustic LamHorn 1.8's using the very expensive AER MK I in which he mentioned that the bass was so deep he was really impressed as a true full range single driver speaker design.  The AER MK I has been said to be the smoothest (no peak) single driver out there ... that one's on my bucket list too. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print