Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 02:31:55 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alternative loudspeakers (Read 57935 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Alternative loudspeakers
Reply #50 - 12/20/14 at 13:59:48

Hi seikosha,

Interesting viewpoint, which addresses an inconclusive argument about SET's and SEP's. Of course, you have the advantage of comparing both alternatives in your setup, which I don't.

I still think the SEP amp configuration's sound is very close to a SET's, with individual characteristics that differentiate them all right. But at the core of the issue, is both designs need critically not to be cluttered by crossovers, impedance curve complexities and cabinet volume restraints, as well as limited drivers' speed and dynamics. Maybe part of the differences you hear stem from the Mini requiring relatively more breathing room than the Super Zen, just because of its beam tetrode nature, which BTW adds some 'PEP' to its presentation.

Whether the differences you hear are explained by those design tradeoffs is a matter for experts to decide, but to me, I would not conclude anything until I hear my Mini without evident restraints.

This is not different to improving cables and power supply sources. Each may have differing power requirements to excell. At the end of the day, what counts is whether your amp is at its best so that you can really enjoy that design as it was intended. Again, the Super Zen may requiere less sensitivity than the Mini, not because of power restrictions but because of the way those output tubes behave. In addition, the Super Zen has a more straightforward signal path relative to the Mini's tube voltage-regulated, slightly more complex circuit. This difference may require less resistance down the road than the SuperZen.

It may be that some people prefer SET's to SEP's, but sound quality is a complex notion, and Triode midrange magic is not the only trait involved in the musicality and realism projected by these devices.

If I were to go by your suggestion, I should forget about my speaker quest and just buy a Super Zen (cheaper solution, BTW) and call it a day. Is this really your proposal?

Just two things stop me from grabbing the easy way out:

1. My DM 945's cabinet volume is evidently limited/taxed by physical dimensions, yielding sound traits for a diminished physical size compromise.

2. Given the affordable price, my DM 945's don't have the best drivers out there, nor its design compares with good, full-driver designs.

You may be right, seikosha, and raise good points, but I have to say, I still need to compare apples to apples, and the Mini's optimal setting is beyond what my loudspeakers offer, good as these are for the money.

I may be wrong, of course.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #51 - 12/20/14 at 20:15:36

In my last post I speculated about Beam Tetrodes possibly needing more 'room to breath' (sensitivity) from the speakers.

For the sake of argument, let's see this from a purely quantitative approach:

A 91 Db /W /M (at 8 Ohms) speaker will produce, with the Mini Torii, about 91 Db (SPL) at 2 meters from the speakers (91+3+3-6) Dbs.

Let's just say this is achieved at the maximum (undistorted) volume level in the Mini.

Now, use a 97 Db/W/M speaker instead, and now you get (97+3+3-6) = 97 Dbs of SPL at 2 meters from the speakers. In this second scenario, if you want the same level of loudness as before (with the 91 Db/W/M speakers), you have a significant volume potential in reserve for all the dynamics, slam and overall music presence, including some nuances that did not get through in the original scenario, just because the power on the Mini was at its clipping limits.

This is what I'm talking about. That Triodes presumably tend to do better than Beam Tetrodes under the same conditions (i.e., show more nuances and better overall sound performance vis á vis the Beam Tetrode), is something that, if objectively true, stems from inherent output tube properties we cannot modify.

So, if I want the best out of my Mini, I need to partner it with significantly higher sensitivity speakers. Although the same principle applies to the Triode configuration (and every other tube amp, for that matter), it may be that in the Triode case these nuances show up at lower SPL levels, other things being equal. Again, an inherent property we cannot change.

Another relevant complication with the Mini Torii design that reinforces the described situation derives from its highly sensitive gain. The specs show it will achieve max power at 2 Volts from the source input. In many cases, this input voltage (from DACs or CD Players,etc.) is literally 12.5 to 25 percent higher than the 2 Volts maximum power set by the designer's preamp circuit. Naturally, the volume pot has to be further restricted in its range in order to avoid clipping.

The higher the speakers' sensitivity, the better the scenario for the Mini to overcome this near-clipping zone and still maintain enough loudness SPL and volume in reserve, which translates into better dynamics, slam, oomph and nuance detail.

Just my thoughts.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 12/20/14 at 20:47:57

Hey Fireblade,  buy some damn speakers already....Jeez...

Zu Audio "Souls" or Omega 8" Monitors would both be great.  You need to stop the Blah Blah Blah and get down to listening...hehe  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #53 - 12/20/14 at 20:59:30

You are right, I may be overdoing it ... Part of the decision-making process, I guess. I'll continue on my own. And, I agree, its either of those two, or bust. Thanks for the "hint."

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #54 - 12/20/14 at 22:05:52

Fireblade,
How long did it take you come to the decision to buy a Fireblade?
My real hobby is motorcycling, this stereo stuff is just a small sideline.
I am interested in your decision making process of a motorcycle vs a pair of speakers.
Did you fret about what was the lightest or the best handling?
I guarantee that your motorcycle is much more capable than you are, as I am sure that your stereo sounds better than you can hear.
Lighten up, it only about listening to music. As long as you can hear it, it is all good.  

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 12/21/14 at 02:36:42

Alternative loudspeakers, no preamp, DAC or amp required:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9wUHlOCDg

Yes, it's in French.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #56 - 01/09/15 at 02:19:18

Just for the benefit of those who contributed positively to this thread, here's my final update:

Today I pulled the trigger on a pair of Tekton Lore 2.0 with Clarity Caps (98 dBs at 8 Ohm).

I consulted with Steve before deciding and he endorsed both Tekton and Omega speakers for the Mini, based on his customer base feedback and his familiarity with those two design concepts.

In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying my DM 945's and will compare them to the new acquisition after an expected longish burn-in.

Thanks!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/09/15 at 02:34:46

I'll be looking forward to your impressions a lot of people seem to love them.  Also keep us informed with the lead and delivery times ... I've heard it's hit and miss with him, but perhaps its gotten better since the last 2 years or so though.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #58 - 01/09/15 at 02:48:45

Thanks Beowulf.

I don't have a clue what to expect regarding the logistics. I spoke to Eric this afternoon and he seemed quite supportive, but I know in my case he will need to work on the Caps replacement, so that will delay matters some.

I'll post my impressions when these babies reach steady-state.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #59 - 01/09/15 at 14:06:27

Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Tekton speakers. I keep running into forum posts on them while researching the Zu Audio speakers. Seems very comparable, and maybe something I should keep an eye on myself.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #60 - 01/09/15 at 15:10:14

Thanks, LR.

I think the different design implementations out there are all subject to tradeoff choices. In the Tektons' case, the value proposition may hopefully not betray sound quality.

IMO the best compromise should be a loudspeaker capable of displaying the full frequency spectrum with slam and PRAT by combining a highly sensitive large full driver with a complementing tweeter through a single, benign crossover. This would allow the Mini to show its best, at its preferred load Impedance rating (8 Ohms).

My choice is based on this bet, but the proof is in the pudding, and we'll find out soon enough.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #61 - 01/11/15 at 05:43:01

I have a friend who currently owns a pair of Tekton Lore-S' and a pair of Decware HDT's.  He also "had" a pair of Audio Nirvana 15" cast frame ferrite's in DIY 8.0 cu/ft cabs(these are now mine).  To his ears and to mine... the HDT's are better than the Tekton Lore-S when driven by either his 40 watt EL34 ASL integrated or my Torii III w/Jupiters.  And my Torii smokes the ASL on either the HDT's or the  Lore-S'.  My friend is now looking for a mk3 Torii.

I now have 3 different pairs of Audio Nirvana full range, high efficiency drivers.  I am completely smitten by these drivers.  You have to be willing to DIY to implement these, and willing to take the time to dial them in.  But once there, I have never heard such life like music in my room.  I have tried other tube amps with them, including some very, very expensive and highly regarded amps, but there is some special synergy and magic going on between these Audio Nirvana drivers and the Decware Torii mk.3.  I've heard nothing else yet, at any price, that I would rather own.

I have a pair of Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's in 5.6 cu/ft boxes.  I've had these going about 2 years now.  They are really, really good.  Nobody who has heard them yet, has failed to not go ga-ga over them. The pair of 15" ferrites(bought from my friend) are about to go-live in a pair of Hawthorne Audio Trio open baffles as a replacement for the Hawthorne PSI coaxial unit.  And I have a spare pair of 12" Ferrites awaiting a future project that I bought from RandyInCaintuck on this forum(thanks Randy).

The 15" AN's in the 8.0 box as implemented by the guy my buddy bought them from, were a little hot in the presence region and a little "spitty"...lacking body and warmth.  My 12 Alnico's excel at smoothness, body, warmth.  The box the 15"s were in was not properly damped or very well built and my friend, much younger than me, from the "instant gratification" generation had neither the patience, skills or tools to properly implement the speakers and fix up the box.  I offered to help him, but he had just got the HDT's and didn't want to mess with any DIY, so the 15" AN's became mine.  He had the Tekton Lore-S' prior.

We did a shoot out at his place between the HDT's, Lore-S', 15" Audion Nirvana's, and my 12" Alnico Audio Nirvana's.  My 12" Alnico's driven by my Torii 3 were the overall winner.  The 15" AN's when properly implemented should be better... I'll soon see.  But in his smaller room, the Decware HDT's and Torii 3 were really the best match.  He's currently using the HDT's and his ASL integrated.
 His Lore-S' may be for sale, if he hasn't already sold them... if anybody's interested - let me know and I'll put you in contact with him.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #62 - 01/11/15 at 16:19:38

Interesting observations.

Of course, the Lore S have been superseded by Lore Reference and Lore 2.0. In fact, when I spoke to Eric Alexander from Tekton, he never even hint at the Lore S option, suggesting instead the Lore Reference or Lore 2.0, depending on whether I preferred more slam and dynamics from the larger 10" drivers in the latter.

I wish I had the means to DIY, but maybe when I retire (which is not happening anytime soon), I could give it a try.

I would have picked HDT's if these would have been within my budget constraints, as these are about the only ones in the Decware lineup at higher sensitivity ratings.

Omega's Alnico driver-based Monitors (hempcone) would have been great too, except at a lower sensitivity rating (93 dBs), which would not have been enough for the Mini Torii.

I guess you get what you pay for, but my search led me to the Lore 2.0 and I hope these do not disappoint.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/11/15 at 18:06:16

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/yields.html

Maddog's post made me think of these which use the AN Super 10...not sure if they're an option for FB at this point.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #64 - 02/15/15 at 17:27:29

It's time to offer preliminary impressions on my new Tekton Lore 2.0's, with Clarity Caps.

I have also made some additional room treatment tweaks and placed my SUB between the two speakers, right next to the right one. Speakers are sitting on spikes over a rug.

With only 31 hrs of break-in and 169 hrs away from absolute steady-state (according to the designer), I can proudly say my system sounds better than ever.

Now I enjoy more body and slam, and at the same time equal or even better detailing, without any fatigue. The best sound comes with my Brimar 12AT7's replacing the RCA 12AU7 black plates, as the former used to be somewhat overly beamy with the DM945's, while the 12AU7's now sound fine but tend to be darker in sound and miss some of the details the Brimar's mine out.

One of the features I enjoy more now is the fact that my dial is only at 9:30 for most of my selections (whereas before the most used range was between 12:00 and 1:00. With classical music the level of reserve is evident in the dynamic passages and there is a more coherent flow of the sound overall.

Still early, but I expect further improvements by the end of the year, which is when I believe the new speakers will attain the 200 hour mark.

The DM945's are slightly more transparent in the high registers, but with a recessed mid-range and a somewhat less defined bass, as it had to be reinforced with my SUB as high as 75 Hz and usually 65 Hz. Now, my SUB is just getting in at 50 Hz, with a nice, deep and tighter sound.

I believe all the details are there with the new speakers, just in a more coherent, flatter distribution, without high-mids bumps or piercing highs in some bad recordings. The SPL I find myself listening to these days is lower than before, probably due to the more coherent frequency distribution.

All the above impressions are from listening during non-peak AC power demand hours, which in my place recently tend to affect voltage and reduce the quality and SPL of the presentation from voltage drops.

I feel my Mini is working in a more relaxed environment and offering its best this way, thanks to the higher nominal impedance and speaker sensitivity.

Coherence and slam with all the details is exactly what I was looking for and I'm finally getting. I think the DM945's are terrific speakers in their own right, which need more power or be used as bookshelf speakers or coupled to the Monolith cabinets to be at their best.

Thanks

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #65 - 02/22/15 at 16:45:06

An amazing read this post is. Thank you Decware Forum members for sharing your opinions, knowledge and insight. Thank you David (FB) for you personal message. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 02/25/15 at 08:16:59

Hey Maddog! I just got back from the St. Louis area, and while I was there I visited David @ Commonsense Audio. I auditioned his 15" AN (neodymium), and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. Lots of detail, big soundstage. They were in one of the medium-large cabinets (the shallower of the 5.6 cu ft, I believe), and he said that the bass would be better in a larger/deeper cabinet. He suggested his 8 cu ft cab if I had the room for it. Still pretty good, though, even in the smaller box. I'll be interested to hear your review of yours when you get the boxes done.

Randy

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/25/15 at 21:26:10

@ maddog07 - how do you feel about AlNiCo drivers and rock music?  A lot of people I have spoken with seem to think that rock (hard rock, prog type stuff) are better suited to Ferrite or Neo magnets where AlNiCo is better suited to Jazz and slower classic rock. orchestral type stuff.

In fact, I originally wanted a pair of Omega's with their 6" Hemp AlNiCo magnets, but after speaking with Louis he steered me towards the ferrite RS7s as he said that they tend to breakup less and can take more punishment with harder rock types of music.  The thing is ... although I do listen mostly to rock and its sub genres ~ lately I have been getting more into Jazz and am now about 60% rock and 40% Jazz/Classical where as before I was 95/5.  That and the fact that his Hemp AlNiCos are touted as his best drivers, better texturing layers and ths most even tonally throughout the frequency spectrum make me really want to hear a pair.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 02/25/15 at 23:51:53

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 02/26/15 at 01:28:49

@ DBC - yes I've read that, but did you notice in your own "Speaker Recommendation" thread that you started ... the first thing that Canada Rob recommended was the Ferrite based RS7 driver after seeing your music preferences?  So anytime anybody says "rock" they don't handily recommend the AlNiCo's.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 02/26/15 at 14:49:00

beowulf,

In about a month I will be able to give you some feedback on the Omega Alnico Super 6 Monitors, I have a pair on order. Like you, Rob and Louis suggested I consider the Super 7 MK2. I ultimately made my decision based on these attributes:

Quote:
Quote from Omega website:

Compared to ferrite magnet counterparts, the sound produced by Omega Alnico drivers:

Is better balanced and more linear across the frequency spectrum.

Has better texture and layering.

Offers higher resolution (especially noticeable in the mid-bass area, with instruments like standup bass and kick-drums.

Generally I find as resolution & clarity improve then shear volume output capability become less important to me. In other words you get to a point where "All the music is there" at a lower volume setting.

The impression I got from Rob and Louis was this: If you were to compare the Super 6 & Super 7 to each without a Sub then the Super 7 is likely to win out on shear output capability with Rock music. Also you have to consider available amp power and speaker sensitivity.

In my case I use the Hsu Mid Bass Module and Hsu 15" Sub to reinforce the low end (this combo makes any speaker sound much larger). I chose the Super 6 because I felt this would provide the Highest Quality reproduction.

I also have a Peachtree 220se integrated amp, so available power will not be an issue. I plan to use my 2 watt Super Zen for comparison. If I only had the Super Zen then I probably would have gone with the more efficient Super 7 ???

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #71 - 02/26/15 at 15:23:02

Just a comment: I believe the Omega Alnico drivers would be the best choice if it wasn't for the limited sensitivity for smaller amps, like mine ... Otherwise, everything I researched about these monitors put them on top of any short list. Besides, in general, a good SUB/Mid Bass support is always welcome, regardless of speaker type and with the Alnico one should get the best presentation overall.

One need only have an amp with watts in at least the teens, to make this work, though.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 02/26/15 at 16:10:50

DBC,  I think you'll really like your new omegas.  Your purchase has moved me to put in my custom Omega Alinco 7XRS...these have the 6" alinco drivers I think you're getting.  It's only been recently that Luis has redone his product names.  I have to tell you that I have to use a Amperex 6DJ8 (taking out the 7308s) in my Mono Blocks to tone down the treble...which is very extended on the Alincos. I'll go find a pic of mine and post it.  Mark.

PS...The pic on the ebay ad from may of 2014 is no longer available.  I thought I posted a pic on the forums but can't find it after wasting far too much time looking.  The speaker has a narrower baffle and is deeper than what Luis traditionally has built...it was a one off by Luis that I bought used on ebay.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 02/26/15 at 22:15:48

@ DBC - I'm defintely waiting for your impressions on the AlNiCo's.  Especially with the Zen Triode.  I too am not interested in decibles as most of my listening is at lower levels at night when everybody is already sleeping.  I do rock the house occasionally during the day, but not to some exorbitant levels and will be using with sub as I love bass.

@ FB - I also agree that I would be more comfortable with a higher wattage amp such as the Torii to have enough headroom to cover all of my bases.  With DBC's Peachtree he will be in good company.

@ Mark58 - I am not totally sure, but I believe you have the 7" AlNiCo which were designated RS7A drivers.  Those are different drivers than the 6" AlNiCo Hemps driver that are used in the AlNiCo Monitors and Super AlNiCo XRS.  It's just my guestimation though, but I know for sure that at one time he had three 7" Drivers, the RS7 (regular), RS7V (vintage) and RS7A (AlNiCo).  Which seems as if he doesn't produce the RS7V and RS7A any longer.  The difference between the 2 AlNiCos was that the RS7A was a paper cone and the AlNiCo SuperHemp uses Hemp cones and very overbuilt cast aluminum basket.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 02/26/15 at 22:39:54

Beowulf, the RS7A (AlNiCo) was a 6" driver,  I just measured it.  As I recall, when someone asked for a reason for the nomenclature, Louis basically said he liked the 7 name.  The drivers used now look identical to those used before the product line name changes but maybe he did redesigned the Alinco drivers...I don't know.  Mark.  

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 02/27/15 at 00:07:15

@ Mark58 - Yes, you are right, the RS7 cone is 6", but with the basket ring it is 7" (actually  little over 7").  Does that mean the SuperHemp cone is 5" and with the basket 6"? Grin

I guess my whole point is that there were 2 completely different Omega AlNiCo drivers ... the 6" Super Hemp and the RS7A and the Super Hemp has of course hemp cones and the RS7A had paper cones, with the Super Hemp being the best of the best.

There is a quick way to find out ... that is if your curious, if not I wouldn't bother.  But if you unscrew one of the drivers and pull out just far enough to see the basket and motor and if the motor looks like the pic below then it is the 6" SuperHemp, if not it is the RS7A paper.  

It's pretty easy to do as when I originally got my speakers I had the RS7V (vintage, which is no longer in production) and I felt the highs were too rolled off for me so Louis replaced them with a set of the RS7 regulars, basically it was a quick swap that took less then a few minutes to do both drivers.  Another possible way would be to read the sticker on the back it should say Omega Custom and then mine says "RS7 Omega Cone", so if it was the Super Hemp it should say something to that effect of "ALN6LB Omega Cone" ... if so then you have the best Omega drivers he has ever made according to Louis and Rob.

Here is the review from John Darko (Digital Audio Review) where they were the first product he ever awarded called the DAR'KO.  But in the pictures from the review you can see how the drivers are labeled on the back sticker.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 02/27/15 at 00:51:23

Beowulf,  I bought mine used in May 2014.  The prior owner sold them because he couldn't get enough volume with his 5 WPC Glow Amp.  I can't find the pics  but these off the AC forum show an identical cabinet but not the drivers.  The drivers I have are identical to the ones in the second picture of speakers owned by jorgen. The third pic is the driver.  The label on mine is incorrect...and is labeled 95dB and a different driver type but the prior owner sent pictures where he stuck a camera in the ports and took photos of the drivers with the big magnets inside the speakers.  If I can find them, I'll post them.  A post by Canada Rob on the AC site from July 2014 stated the following..."Concerning the 7" alnico driver, there only was one, regardless of how it was, or is labelled, and there are no plans for it's redesign, now or in the future"  I did measure the drivers including the frames and as Louis stated somewhere, they are 7 1/8 inches in diameter (6 1/2 inches without the frames).  Regardless they sound great and you'll love them...I'm sure.  Mark.

PS...I just found the photos but can't figure out how to attach them here.  Anyway they have a black metal square on the back with a white label dated 06/12/13 and Omega Model 7A.

PSS... reading more on the AC site..I found a nice history dated 2/14/15 from which I'll quote.  The link to it is below.  
"The Drivers

Most of Omegas changes over the years have been to the cabinets much more so than to the drivers.  The original Alnico 8" driver was dropped because Louis realized the Alnico 6.5" was better.  He was honest enough to drop the 8" and eat the cost of the large stock of 8s he still had.
The current 6.5" Alnico driver has been in production for years.  The RS5, HempCone 4.5", and the Fostex before it all share the same cabinet hole and screw pattern making the cabinets they are in upgradable to the current driver in cabinets going back more than 10 years.
Many companies change their drivers when they change their cabinets.  Total obsolescence.
The RS7 is the first all new driver for Omega in years (excluding the Hoyt driver).
NOTE: THE RS5 DRIVER IS NOT A MODIFIED FOSTEX, NOR DOES IT USE A FOSTEX BASKET.  THE RS5 IS A "FROM SCRATCH" OMEGA PRODUCT.

Omega speakers are designed and built by Omega in Norwalk, CT, U.S.A.
Even the drivers are made in the U.S.A to Louis' specs and can be had nowhere else than in an Omega speaker.  Many speaker companies barely even touch the products that have their name on them, other than to evaluate them and show them at trade shows."
"The Alnico Series

This series was around before I came into Omega and has, but for small changes, remained essentially the same.  They have cult status and are good enough to be put in the best systems available.  I have one complaint about this series - the price.  They are way underpriced, which sadly, in the minds of some, cheapens them.  Too bad, they're the losers."

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132501.0

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 02/27/15 at 02:24:01

@ Mark - from the looks of the last picture you have the RS7A driver and not the Super Hemp, yours look exactly like mine (except mine are Ferrite).  

From Canada Rob over a Audio Circle:

The top of the line Alnico is more refined in every way than the Super 7 alnico (the sound signature will be similar though), and for a few hundred bucks more than a decked out Super 7, the Alnico still IMO appears to be underpriced...because a decked out 7 is a steal.  Where the Super 7s have their advantage is when ordered in the EKO finishes - $2150 gets you an alnico driver in an XRS speaker.  Back to the Alnico: look at the physical differences in the two alnico drivers - big.  The Alnico HempCone driver has been Louis top of the line for years, and for good reason.

That being said, you can take pride in knowing that your AlNiCo drivers (while not being the SuperHemps) are for sure the best sounding of the RS7 (RS7, RS7V and RS7A) series of drivers and very similar in many ways to the SuperHemp.  In fact ... I believe the reason Louis stopped making the RS7A were because they were crowding in on the SuperHemps.

I would love to hear those sometime!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 02/27/15 at 11:46:05

Beowulf,  you are correct.  Before yesterday I didn't realize that there had been two different Alinco drivers, both 6.5", being sold at the same time but the photos of the OEM drivers on the Omega site are clear.  The Alinco Hemp has a much different basket and the frame has not four screws like the 7 series but 6.  Also the Hemp material is Greenish not black like the 7A.  So I guess the RS7A is no longer available.  Actually the 7 series is now one driver not three.  And the price to get an "Alinco Driver" vs the RS7 driver is large...the difference between a Super 7XRS in laminate ($1495) and the Alinco XRS ($2995)...$1500.  Regardless, what I have sounds fantastic.  Mark

PS...if you take into account the extra $400 for wood veneer you are paying $1100 to go from the 6.5" RS7  driver to the 6.5" Alnico driver.  The other thing I'm thinking is with the different frame, would the Alinco Hemp fit in a 7XRS hole?  In the past you could buy and switch out your 6.5" drivers to any one of the three options that were available.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 02/27/15 at 19:54:20

@ Mark - there was a time that Louis was talking about "driver rolling" (the same concept as tube rolling) where you could easily swap in/out all 3 different RS7 drivers to get different flavors and use them for different music, etc.  I thought this was a cool concept, but for some reason it didn't pan out.  My biggest guess as to why this didn't work is probably because the RS7A pricing was crowding in on the SuperHemp.

I've heard 2 out of the 3 RS7 drivers (the only one I haven't heard was the RS7A).  Out of the 2 that I did hear the RS7V Vintage while having a great midrange, the highs were just too rolled off for me ... the RS7 Regular I felt was more well rounded with the same midrange, but also highs were very good ... It's my best guess that your AlNiCos are even better as Canada Rob said not only did they have the mids and highs of the other two, but the RS7As were the best tonally and smoothest throught the frequency range on top of that.

At any rate, I hope to aspire to a pair of SuperHemp Monitors at one time or another as I just need to hear that SuperHemp! Grin

On a side note, DaveC from ZenWave Audio (who has some really good ears IMO) has heard quite a few of the Omega drivers that Louis has produced and he has mentioned to me that Omega can easily compete with the expensive Single Driver offerings from Voxativ and others.  The only single driver speakers he heard that were significantly better than the Omegas were a set of RL Acoustic LamHorn 1.8's using the very expensive AER MK I in which he mentioned that the bass was so deep he was really impressed as a true full range single driver speaker design.  The AER MK I has been said to be the smoothest (no peak) single driver out there ... that one's on my bucket list too. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print