Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 05:16:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running 2 Bridged Rachael's vs. Torii with HR1's (Read 307 times)
shold350
Ex Member

Running 2 Bridged Rachael's vs. Torii with HR1's
11/30/14 at 00:15:31

Trying to put some possible future upgrades to my system and would like input to determine which setup might be better :mono Rachael's or Torii running with my HR 1's. The economics of a second Rachael and the esthetics are appealing to me but the sound is more important. If the additional power of the Torii really brings out the best in these great sounding speakers I may have save a little longer and lean that way. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be helpful.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Running 2 Bridged Rachael's vs. Torii with HR1's
Reply #1 - 11/30/14 at 01:56:37

shold,

I think the HR-1s would likely liven up very nicely either way. Mine sound really good at lower volumes, especially with the CSP3 pushing a bit more than at higher volumes, but for a really deep listening, the HR-1s come alive with power. I mean 92 dB is more efficient than many, but not terribly efficient compared to many other speakers today. I think they are at their best with more power.

I have had a SE 34 and a Rachel here, and they sound great, but nothing like a Torii...Toriis sound powerful...And unfortunately, I have never heard two Rachels. I suspect two together would sound greater than the sum though. But the Torii, I suspect it is a different thing.

I think it is part the design and part the power, but Toriis really can grab the HR-1s and bring out qualities that make it all music rather than speakers. Two Rachels might well do this too.

Another consideration.....the Torii has much more adjustment power if you are into that. Changing any of the five tube types can be easily heard, and are great tools for fine tuning the sound to tastes and room. Also, the Torii's adjustments (at least the MKIII and MKIV) for impedance, bass, and treble are really useful. The potential caveat for a Torii, at least if your room has bass issues, is that the Torii has great bass potential. This can be good or bad depending on circumstances of system, room, speaker placement flexibility (or lack thereof) and so on. I have a feeling two Rachels would be less bassy, again, good or bad depending on circumstances.

But I am just brainstorming not having tried two Rachels....after everyone has chimed in, don't forget that Steve is a great resource in these decisions and a phone call away!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
shold350
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/30/14 at 04:05:34

Thanks for the information. I would really like to hear the Torii drive these speakers. I can get ample volume from my turntable but some of the digital sources beg for some more. I will keep my eye out for a used Mk IV maybe.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/30/14 at 06:45:16

I love my MKIV. I think it is a very refined and beautiful amp. But so is the Rachel!

Volume and power are not necessarily the same feeling to me....with extra power, it feels like the speakers get pushed more...also with more headroom, the sense of power goes higher with less limitations...clear and dynamic. Then there is voicing, each of Steve's amps having family qualities to be sure, but also different personalities....

I imagine either choice would be beautiful as long as it fits your room and tastes...the MKIV, or two Rachels...but if you love the Rachel, you can about guarantee two would be great!

I just happen to love the Torii...I have a Blue Torii, a MKIII, and a MKIV...Though my intent was to sell one....I just can't do it so far, so I clearly have a bias.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/30/14 at 12:21:46

Hi shold, coming from the `have heard mono Rachaels but not Torii mk1v` camp I can put a good case for 2x Rachaels similar to Wills`
It`s not just about turning the volume down to get where you are now.
It`s a supercharger. Yes you get used to it as your new reference and then the question is ` I wonder what the mk1v sounds like `? Well you can repeat the question for all the Decware amps.
So I think this...where is your volume control now for usual listening...if it`s 70%+ you`ll be in for a big surprise...if it`s 50% then you`ll still be in for a surprise but you`ll have gobs of power in reserve, as you would with the mk1v. Running at 50% is where I personally like it as you have a heathy reservoir for the superb bass`s extra push you sometimes find on albums.
Just a quad of el34`s and dj8`- 6922`s and a pair of rectifiers.
Dials, and of course no feedback SET. I`ve come to love the sound
and with a decent set of tubes which I cant afford to keep rolling ( leave that to the ZP3).
I still wonder what the mk1v sounds like but what the heck. I turned the amps up a touch last night and played `Basic Miles`wow.
As for detail, finess and the finer intricacies, I think you have to look at the front end to deliver. With the Decware chain you hear the front end and cant hear what the stylus doesn`t transmit.
So, in a nutshell adding another Rachael will increase everything ; headroom, soundstage, projection, woomph.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print