Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Boomy bass?!?! (Read 97096 times)
roggae
Seasoned Member

Re: Boomy bass?!?!
Reply #50 - 02/01/15 at 23:12:56

will,

when it comes to tubes, i love your info.  thanks.  so what are the tubes that DECWARE is selling?  are they most likely the same tubes i'm currently using?  should i be concerned by the "light show" i'm getting out of the rectifiers?  it's subtle but i notice it.  would swapping out the OA3s do anything beneficial?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 02/02/15 at 00:50:57

From your pics I think your rectifiers are Chinese, Shuguang, sometimes labelled Ruby, and I guess those would be the tubes Decware would have for sale, but not positive. NOS RCAs are a different level with more complexity and natural timbre.

I don't think changing the OA3s would help the flashing. The rectifier is before them in the circuit I believe. Changing them from OA3 to OB3 or OC3s will progressively open your sound, reduce overall density and bass though if that is still an issue.

I am not sure about a light startup flash being an issue, I have put up with it happening occasionally with Valve Art 274Bs, but this does not mean it is OK. If you search the forum using Steve Deckert and 274, you will probably find a good post he made some time ago on the issue with 274s anyway.

But since you have a flashing rectifier that is also making noise, I would replace it asap. If it blows, the fuse should take care of things (at least it has when I have blown a rectifier), but then you would be out of music! Best to get to it I think.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/02/15 at 04:01:00

awesome!  thanks will!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 02/02/15 at 23:25:20

I have both the Valve Arts 274B and the RCA 5u4g st in my MKIII and prefer the RCA for most music.  As Lon said the Valve Arts have a big bold sound.  The RCAs seem more refined.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 02/08/15 at 23:22:18

installed the RCAs today.  i dont really notice much of a difference in the sound as of yet.  i do notice the absence of static.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 02/08/15 at 23:35:45

No static = Good news

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 02/10/15 at 04:18:06

not sure if its the new RCAs but i'm not digging the low volume sound i'm hearing from my amp.  normally i listen at lower than normal levels and everything sounds great to me, but i find myself turning the volume up louder than normal with these new tubes. does this make any sense?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 02/10/15 at 06:20:58

Sorry they are not an easy fit.

Not sure what is causing the need to turn the amp up more. Is it that the tubes seem quieter...or maybe less clear...darker might make them need more volume to get a good sense of the mids and highs.....what would you say? Different rectifiers can be a little louder or quieter, but 5U4G-STs should be pretty close electronically. Some NOS RCAs are bigger and darker than others, and warmer/darker than Ruby's, but I have not heard one that does not sound more refined...more solid, with better micro information and nuance. So it surprises me that you aren't hearing much sound difference with the new tubes other than the volume thing. Did the ones you got test NOS or near NOS? If they are true NOS, they will take a while to burn in and open up, and if they test low...well I don't know on that one. I have not used low testing rectifiers.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 02/12/15 at 02:23:48

i guess i would say: darker.  i've gotta turn them up louder to get a clearer sense of the music.  at lower volumes they seem to smear or just have less clear detail.  am i making sense?

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 02/12/15 at 02:31:15

might look into a different pair of tubes actually.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 02/12/15 at 06:11:03

No darker/less clear makes sense, but the less bright quality compared to the Russians is more likely showing more that your room/system is still too close to the edge of bass overwhelming the mids. Rather than trying different rectifiers, I would try some OB3s or OC3s...back to your beginning question. If you look, you could get a pair of each for less than most NOS rectifiers. Alternately, you could get Shuguang/Ruby's like you had inexpensively, getting the brighter tone, but being bound to that quality of sound. If you can open the sound up otherwise, the RCAs should take the sound to new levels.

I guess you have the bass switches toward the back for less low bass boom???

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 02/12/15 at 14:30:34

Quote:
Will wrote:

No darker/less clear makes sense, but the less bright quality compared to the Russians is more likely showing more that your room/system is still too close to the edge of bass overwhelming the mids.

Quote:
DBC wrote earlier:

roggae,

Very nice room. For the modest investment I suggest you try the Subdude II isolation platform under each speaker.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII

I realize there are strong opinions for coupling speakers to the floor verses decoupling them. In my case I was having difficulty eliminating vibration in my equipment rack. As an experiment I installed these platforms under my down-firing Subs and Wala, virtually all floor vibrations were eliminated and my equipment rack is rock steady.

To my surprise the biggest benefit was less Bass Boom. It became obvious the low frequency vibrations being introduced into the floor caused the floor to act as a big radiator generating it's own low frequency sound which Muddled the low end. I should note the floor vibrations were transmitted mechanically to the walls also.

In any event I know the Zu's vent on the bottom of the speaker (downward firing to some extent) and that you are on wood floors. The isolation platforms made such a difference in my room I now have them under my mains also.

I posted the above early in this thread and have been following it for a while. Have not read every post in all 5 pages of this thread but it looks like many logical options have been implemented with limited success.

I still think there is a chance the bottom vented Zu's are coupling to the room in an odd way causing at least part of the Boom? Sweetwater ships fast & free of charge and accepts returns no questions asked. It would not cost much to try the Isolation Platforms.

Good Luck

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 02/13/15 at 22:45:42

well guys.  i've got bad news.  the static is back.  its only on one channel.  could it be the oa3?

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 02/13/15 at 22:49:15

the static is basically only present a few seconds after powering up.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 02/13/15 at 22:59:21

Bummer.

You can figure out if it is a tube by methodically switching channels with each tube  pair and see if it changes sides, though this may be a little time consuming if warming up a tube stops the noise. It could also be a dirty connection...if you identify a tube, and don't have any deoxit, you can use high strength alcohol, like 90% to clean the pins, or very fine steel wool if you are careful.....

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 02/13/15 at 23:50:14

I have a light round piece of wood about 3/8" in diameter and about 8 inches long. I have found that often a tube that produces intermittent static will produce the same static if you tap it lightly while the amp is powered up. I just go around and tap each tube lightly. This method has saved me a lot of tube swapping to find a bad tube.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 09/08/15 at 22:44:53

so i am back to the boomy bass stuff again.  do you guys think those tubes steve recommended would make a big difference?  i'm thinking its time to try out the isolators that go under the speakers...really bummed because i was hoping to be DONE with the upgrade game.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 09/09/15 at 00:10:42

Roggae,  I have isolation under everything including my speakers.  No boomy bass that I can hear.  I'm a big fan of isoation and my DIY platforms were cheap to make.  If you PM me an email address I will send you a few pictures of what I came up with.  I think the isolation helps with the sympathetic vibrations induced thrugh coupling of the speakers to the structure.  Seems like a good thing to avoid.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 09/10/15 at 00:13:45

archie,

i PM'd you my email.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 09/10/15 at 01:04:16

Hi roggae,

Last December I suggested the SubDude: Sweetwater can have a pair to you in a couple of days, $120.00 for the pair and free shipping. I'll pay the return shipping if they don't provide a significant improvement (I'm on the public record now). It's a sure bet for me and you will wish you had done it sooner.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII

Like Archie, I have isolation under everything (mains & subs) and it makes a big difference. The isolation platforms are especially effective with bottom vented speakers as you have.

DBC   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 09/10/15 at 01:04:14

I sent you some pictures.  Let me know how things work out.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 09/10/15 at 16:49:23

ok, DBC i bought some off of amazon(free return shipping).  they will be here saturday.  we shall see!

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 09/10/15 at 20:54:08

roggae,

I understand, I was a skeptic also. I was simply trying to nudge you enough to give them a try. I'm not associated with Auralex in any way but I am completely sold on how much they cleaned up the low frequency in my room.

A few others here and on other sites were reluctant to try them also. So far I've not had to send any of them cash to cover the return shipping. In fact most purchased additional platforms for other subs and or speakers in their systems.

So as you say, "we shall see"

DBC   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 09/11/15 at 01:57:45

right on, dbc.  right on.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 09/11/15 at 21:58:06

is there any thing else that could be causing this extremely low frequency bass to be bouncing around?  is it possible my rack needs to be adjusted or replaced?  here are some photos: http://imgur.com/VZWdKO2

http://imgur.com/OKR1CRy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 09/11/15 at 22:05:32

I didn't re-read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been discussed but hardwoods are pretty tough to work with.

Bass traps?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 09/11/15 at 22:09:46

i have those acoustic panels lying around.  where would i put the bass traps?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 09/11/15 at 22:20:13

Any corner you can fit one to start.

I don't have true bass traps but I lean 4 of those 2 X 4 acoustic panels across each of my two front corners.  I used to have them spread around the room, but it took away too much air and didn't really help the bass.  Then I stacked them in the front corners and it helped a lot.  

I also have triangle bass traps in all four of the upper corners.

I still struggle with bass in my room, but its better than it was.

This shot is before I consolidated them in the front corners:

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 09/12/15 at 00:54:40

You could place a 1/2 to 1 inch rubber mat under a nice rug of your liking and that will help.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 09/12/15 at 01:05:02

Have you tried EL34s? Seems system/tube complement dependent, will above reports looser bass with EL34s, I find they have tighter, less copious bass in my system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 09/12/15 at 01:28:00

i started with the EL 34s.  i really liked the sound i got out of the KT66s v. the EL34s.  i've got those isolators coming tomorrow.  i'll put those into place and report back.  i'll also try the panels in the corners too...

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 09/12/15 at 01:37:39

I think I would start by isolating all of the components.  I had  really bad feedback until I isolated my ZMA.  Also the spikes under the TT (if that's what the feet really are) seem counter intuitive.  I can pound on the support under my TT with no effect but I would think spikes would transmit any platform vibration into the component.  Is it possible that what you hear as bass boom might be related to feedback?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 09/12/15 at 02:12:32

Cool. I prefer KT66 as well, but if my bass were too boomy I'd probably try EL34s again; was using a quad recently in the Torii that I had at my Dad's place and they sounded great, was also nice to hear the Hazen Grid mod in place again. Still. . . KT66 are great, I'm really enjoing the TAD I've been using nearly a year. . . probably will order another quad soon.

I'm not using those isolators because I'm not having bass issues and I'm afraid they may raise the tweeter height a bit more than I'm accustomed to.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 09/12/15 at 16:56:58

i thought it was component vibration too, but i'm getting it with every component regardless of its isolation.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 09/12/15 at 17:27:20

Quote:
i thought it was component vibration too, but i'm getting it with every component regardless of its isolation.

So it could be the amp, the speakers or the room?  You've got the subdudes coming, the room could be complicated so you might try a cheap and easy isolation for the amp by puting a lightly inflated wheelbarrow wheel innertube under it.  I've never tried this kind of isolation before but I've seen it used in some isolation systems and industrial machinery vibration isolation footers.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 09/12/15 at 18:30:00

tell me more about this inner tube idea?  i work in a bike shop.  i can basically get any size.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 09/12/15 at 20:43:25

I find that the Torii responds to EVERYTHING, for better or worse, and vibration will mush up everything including bass. Location of the feet (if you use them) makes a notable difference.

So isolating the speakers will very likely help as the floor vibrations are also getting your rack and your gear, especially if you like the "sound" the isolators make. But it would surprise me if you didn't find further improvement with good sounding vibration control on your rack and the amp. The reason I say good sounding is that different isolation and feet sound different. I have not made Archie's isolation rigs, but they make sense to me and are inexpensive. I just have a good range of isolation tools so have not built any.

Also, as posted above. OB3, OC3 and OD3 will progressively open/tighten the sound from pushing the power tubes less. This gives more spacial information from opening the sound and reducing bass power and density. Usually, these are pretty subtle shifts if you have bass issues masking the rest, but you can hear it.

I just turned off my EQ for a quick test on the Tungsol 6L6Gs Steve recommends for reducing bass. Compared to the Valve Art KT66 I have been using (more open and transparent than the warmer/deeper Genalex and the warmer Tungsol 6L6G), the 6L6G bass does sound less deep and wide. Another potential step, but not huge. Then with the bass switches back, another improvement. But for me, in my room, still dense and less resolving compared to fine tuned EQ.

I have one low going diagrammatic bass trap, but it does not quite get it in this room arrangement and I have no place for another in the living room.

Then I changed my usual OB3 to a Sylvania OC3A and put the bass switch back to the off/forward position, and that just about does it for me with the 6L6Gs, the 7C51 (OC2 type) Mazda GZ34, and Siemens PCC88 I have in. I like the richer tone this way though the bass switches "on" help reduce low bass further.

Then I put in a Mazda OD3 and like it quite a lot with the Tungsols. The bass switches off is pretty good, the OD3 also opening up the warmish Tungsols nicely.

Generally, I don't hear much boom here perse, but I get fatigue from low stuff being too strong. Without measuring, from experience this is very low bass resonance as well as low bass. By attenuating some specific frequencies (usually 45/66/ and a shelf cut around 20 Hz), the bass actually sounds bigger and does not hurt my sensitive ears. Even though my speakers are not supposed to go that low, the 25 down stuff can be really irritating to me.

Still prefer the EQ sound, but it subtly adjusts all remaining minor and more major room anomalies.

I just turned EQ back on with the Tungsol 6L6G and OD3 in and it sounds really good. Pretty similar to the more open Valve Art KT66 with my usual OB3s.

Bass traps and resonance/vibration are your primary tools, but if it is close, there are tubes.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 09/12/15 at 20:56:31

alright.  i've got the sub dudes in place.  i would say there is some perceptible difference, but the bass still seems to be kinda boomy.  i think it's just the room and i'm going to have to learn to live with it.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 09/12/15 at 21:24:16

Yes, it is the room and how your speakers and amp load it, but I suspect there are few rooms where you can't tame the bass via the range of available tools. Real (not pseudo), low ranging bass traps, the first purist approach.....

Another tool is Green Marigo tuning dots. They transparently tighten the resonance of mid/bass drivers. Last I looked they were about $35 for 12. I use two each on the front and radial drivers of the HR-1s. If I did not have bass challenges, I would like these anyway.

Also, do your Zus have ports. You could experiment with different levels of tuning (plugging) them.

BTW, thanks for getting me to try the Tungsol 6L6G again. I like what they bring to my current sound in the mids.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 09/13/15 at 15:10:31

roggae,

Now that your bottom ported speakers are isolated from the floor they should be less sensitive to placement within the room. My point here is, speaker placement that did not work before may sound just fine now with the isolation? So you might want to experiment with placement again.

I know you have experimented with the gap under the speaker as Zu recommends. Once again, now that you have isolation from the floor you may be able to hear a bigger difference by adjusting the gap. Zu recommends anywhere between 1 mm and 16 mm (1 inch is approximately 25 mm), this is a wide range.

Quote:
Quote from Zu site:

Increasing the gap height, depending on amplifier, usually results in increased bass weight in kick drum and wood timbre, but it nearly always results in less output in deep bass. More gap height usually increases bass noise as well, causing the timbre to be a bit thick or wooly sounding. Less then 1/4” [6mm] will increase bass articulation / attack, increases bottom octave amplitude, but does reduce overall bass amplitude a bit. Typically, most arrive at gap height to be just about 3/16” [5mm], which is the size of those skinny half-hight CD jewel cases, perfect for a quick and easy gauge.

DBC   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 09/13/15 at 16:12:23

after further review i would say that the bass has tightened up and is less loose.  it still booms in this room.  i moved some furniture and it sounds a touch better.  not perfect but better.  why must i have such hearing?  thanks for all your suggestions/advice/comments folks!

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Re: Boomy bass?!?! ***SOLVED***
Reply #91 - 09/28/15 at 03:00:34

so i decided i'd move my table today.  it sat on this home made shelving unit i made.  it served it's purpose in theory.  i noticed it had a fair amount of wobble every time i touched the table.  i moved the turntable to a much less mobile shelving unit and BOOM! bass becomes less flabby and resonate.  so i think this might be the fix.  it seems to make so much sense, but who knows?  right?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 09/28/15 at 15:06:06

Yes, this makes sense. Vibration can set up all sorts of distortions, subtle and not-so-subtle, especially with a TT, but with anything in my experience. My system sound, across the spectrum, is effected differently by different vibration reduction feet. Even different locations of the same feet under the Torii MKIV changes the sound.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 09/28/15 at 18:18:37

I agree with Will.  I have my amps and speakers on my home-built isolation platforms.  My TT is on it's stock feet which already give excellent isolation.  The TT isolation need is easy to understand; it's the amp isolation that I don't understand as well.  Must be something in the tubes?  I never had isolation with my SS amp.

I hope the BOOM stays GONE!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 09/29/15 at 03:06:51

so far so good guys!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 12/19/15 at 16:50:14

I also notice that the bass is less when I switch my voltage regulator tubes from OC2 to OB2. Sound is different, seems slower with more sparkle but sharper and leaner.  OC2 is fuller, faster more complete but also on some songs music resonates too much leading to a boomier bass.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #96 - 12/19/15 at 17:12:25

OA2 is interesting as well (I'm running RCA). Warm bass but tight in my Torii.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print