Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 09:00:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sub recommendations with the ZOB? (Read 6232 times)
tlarwa

Sub recommendations with the ZOB?
11/20/14 at 22:51:59

What have you guys found to work well?  I'd like to try a pair of stereo subs.  My initial thought was OB subs (H-frames), but I don't really have enough space in my listening room to give them room to do their thing.  So I'm thinking smaller sealed subs might be the way to go.  Any ideas, opinions or suggestions?  I'd build them myself, and probably run them off a pair of plate amps (in separate cases) using the amps' crossovers.  I'd use a speaker level input, as my Fisher 400 doesn't have any aux output.  Maybe that will change if I get a Rachel with the variable output option  ;D

I'd appreciate your thoughts.  By the way, my room isn't huge (~ 210SF) so I'd probably look at a couple 8's or 10's.

Tom

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Sub recommendations with the ZOB?
Reply #1 - 11/21/14 at 01:39:31

I think you meant speaker level inputs, which some prefer even if they have preamp outs available.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #2 - 11/21/14 at 02:08:40

Yep, you're correct.  That's what Ive always used too.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 11/27/14 at 16:32:05

So far, I have occaisionally (is there a spell check available here?) used a pair of subs that I built with 10" drivers. They are powered with a Forte' amp, and most importantly, are fed by an SMS-1 Velodyne processor. The Velodyne will measure the room with a microphone and adjust for room response, and speaker response as well. If I were a rich man, I would like to see what would happen using a Velodyne sub that has an accelerometer attached to the cone.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Ralph
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/16 at 17:22:25

tlarwa  You would be on the right path with the H frame 10 inch OB subs.  I am the designer of Surreal Sound speakers and almost gave up on building the subs after trying over 50 drivers.  It needed high Qts for bass. Also a low mass low mass and ultra low inductance for the fastest possible transient response I had a custom driver made for me by an American company DC gold. Though not tried Audio Elegance dipole woofers look very good also  Most subs simply do not have the speed to match the Dayton or Tang Band full range drivers.  A dipoles is unique  in that it does not excite room nodes like most every other design. The result is fatigue free listening hour after hour.  You can not tell where the bass stops and the upper bass, lower midrange begins.  Hope this helps  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print