Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 22:19:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My ZOB's Are Up And Running! (Read 14160 times)
tlarwa

My ZOB's Are Up And Running!
11/15/14 at 14:07:30

Thought I'd share.  Had a chance to listen to some Miles last night, and I'm mighty pleased so far.  Even though the TB's are far from broken in, they still sound good.  I'm supporting the low end with my Klipsch SW-10 sub for now.  Very different from my Forte II's, as would be expected.  I'm excited to listen to some more music types today.  I have them about 35" off the back wall and 24" off the side walls, with a slight toe in.  Any suggestions on set-up?  They are 7' apart, and my listening position in approximately 7' back.

The cabinets are MDF and the baffles are 6/4 sugar maple butcher block.  I haven't finished the baffles yet.  Still deciding on a stain color.  I may go with a red hue to blend into the listening room.  I also need to buy a 3/4" rabbet bit so I can recess the drivers.  I did round over the back side of the cutout to let them breathe.

So far, I'm pleased with the results!

Tom

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: My ZOB's Are Up And Running!
Reply #1 - 11/15/14 at 14:25:57

I don't say it unless I mean it---well done. Interestingly, I also rounded the rear of the mounting hole in mine. I look forward to seeing the final result when you dye them. I forgot, what drivers are you using?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #2 - 11/15/14 at 14:41:27

Thanks!  I worked pretty hard to get these "right".  I think they'll be around for a while Grin

I'm using the TB W8-1808 drivers that Steve found to be optimal,with the exception of his FRX2 driver.  I just couldn't pull the trigger on $1100 worth of drivers!  Next, I'm going to haul my Audio Adire Rava sealed sub into my listening room.  It should do a better job supporting the low end than the little Klipsch.  I'm looking at building a pair of H-frame OB subs, but I'm not sure I have the room for them if they need to be out into the room as well.  I'm still investigating that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 11/15/14 at 15:23:16

Great looking speaker, and room for that matter! I love seeing proper room treatments and a well thought out system!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/15/14 at 15:42:54

Well done. Man those ZOB's seem to be calling to me.  I also like your turntable stand.  Did you buy or make it?  I've been thinking of a dedicated stand for my rig and am curious about yours.
Looks like a great place to listen.

JD

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #5 - 11/15/14 at 18:04:59

The turntable stand is my creation.  I took the sandbox to another level!  The legs are 4" OD PVC tubing, filled with sand.  The top is a sandbox.  The whole thing weighs about 150#.  I had to move it in with a dolly. Mbit there certainly isn't any vibration!  PM me if you want details and I'll get them to you.  I think I posted details on the AK DIY forum a while back, so you can search my posts there too.  My name there is tlarwa as well.  I also made the audio rack, which is all 2" thick oak.  I also made all the room treatments, as well as the whole room. It was my first try at taping and sanding drywall, but it came out pretty good.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of a dedicated room!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 11/15/14 at 22:33:34

Great looking system and room. Your hard work has paid off. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/17/14 at 19:23:46

Great looking build!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/17/14 at 21:31:35

Great project coming along nicely. Like the colour scheme and pinky topped TT is really something. Saw your thinking in the ZOB thread re stain v dye. Plenty of coats and wet & dry in between coats should get you there. I repaired a maple top guitar and just mixed matt varnish and a little coloured gloss as it seemed like a good thing at the time. Got there in the end.

You must be nearly there with the room set up. Happy days!

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #9 - 11/17/14 at 23:52:43

Thanks!  That turntable is actually fire engine red, it just looks pink in the picture.  That's a rebuilt AR XA with a custom exotic hardwood base.  It sounds great!

IP Logged
davisoly
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/01/14 at 01:06:47

BRAVO! I've followed your build from square one. I cannot believe that you can sell them now. I built a pair about a year ago. They replaced a set of Gallo 3.1 speakers. The Gallos are discernibly better, especially at the high end, but I still listen only to my homemade ZOBs. I could never sell them. Prejudice is a powerful force to overcome. Congratulations on your successful and beautiful build.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #11 - 12/01/14 at 01:24:41

Thanks for the compliment.  Unfortunately, they are ultimately not the best match for my musical tastes.  And it all lies in the low end performance.  For me, personally, to be satisfied with them for ALL of my musical tastes, I'd have to invest in a suitable subwoofer system that would do them justice.  And I'm not ready to do that just to make them work in my system.  Again, if I had the room to position both sets of speakers properly and switch between them based on what I was listening to, I'd keep them.  But my room is too small for that, and moving 2 sets of speakers in and out that weigh as much as the Forte II's and the ZOB's do is a loser.  

I'm sure someone else will be perfectly happy with their performance.  Hopefully someone will take me up on the offer.  If not, I may pull the 1808's and build a different set of cabinets that will give me the low end weight I'm looking for (probably the Super Pencil design).  

In the end, it's been a great experience, and I learned a lot.  Maybe OB speakers aren't for me given my listening preferences, not to mention my room limitations.  Oh well...

IP Logged
davisoly
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/01/14 at 01:43:48

I, too, am certain that someone will benefit from these. And you are correct that they need support at the low end. So, any body out there with a subwoofer who wants to listen to a wonderful implementation of open baffle design? You owe it to yourself to give these a listen.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/01/14 at 01:57:07

Those are so cool, IMO they don't even look DIY, but more like they are professionally built! My only suggestion is that you find a subwoofer that is FAST.  Since they are single drivers you need a sub that can start and stop on a dime, which is not easy to find ... I would suggest that you look into the Omega Speed 12.  It is desgned for single drivers and throws really short and fast.

IP Logged
davisoly
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 12/01/14 at 02:02:08

Thanks. I'll look at those for my own ZOBs.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 12/01/14 at 02:04:28

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #16 - 12/01/14 at 02:52:24

For the record, I did a bit of research on suitable subs before deciding to go in another direction.  What I ultimately decided I'd do (if I kept them) was to use a pair of 8" stereo subs (Dayton Reference series in .75cu.ft. boxes) near the ZOB's (front of my room), crossed fairly high (150-200Hz) with my Adire Audio Rava 15" sealed sub (very musical) handling the low end (40-50Hz on down) in the back of my room, either next to or behind my listening position.  My only question otherwise was whether I would high pass the 1808's or run them full range. But I was looking at a significant investment (for me) and ultimately decided against it.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #17 - 12/01/14 at 05:55:27

When I was building my ZOB cabinets and waiting for the Decware drivers, I did an experiment that might interest you. It's pretty simple. You just flip the baffle upside down, so the driver is now on the bottom. Try it if you can. I'm betting that you will be surprised. I'll find a photo of them and post later.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 12/02/14 at 03:05:41

Found it.

P7080125_600x800.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print