Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 16:06:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
old guy needs simple setup info for computer audio (Read 4814 times)
dla405j

old guy needs simple setup info for computer audio
11/11/14 at 19:33:11

I have a small bedroom with two decware systems: Rachael & Klipsch heresies with tt & cd transport & external dac & near field zen amp, decware preamp, & Decware bookshelves.(with tape system input)  Have extra input in preamp so I thought I would try pc netbook for digital downloads or streaming audio, hookup pc via usb to outboard dac (mine has usb input) & run rca connections from outboard dac to input on preamp ....can add other hard drives to notebook if needed, has 512 ram and told I did NOT need more....am I missing something here??  This computer will only do music, has windows 7 home premium...settings?.....what else do I need???  thought about winamp...hope to do just flac...advice???  resourcs/links that would help??  don't want to spend more $$$$ on music servers or mac mini etc.....just get good sound via standard decware setup with computer input.....any info in forums I should review???......thanks in advance...old guy in Rockford IL...dla405j

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: old guy needs simple setup info for computer audio
Reply #1 - 11/12/14 at 02:09:34

Hey OG - the 512MB of memory concerns me, but we'll see if we can get you off to a good start.

I tried a few programs (winamp is dead by the way - no longer developed or supported), and most were just big hogs trying to do too much. Which is no good with your limited memory. I finally settled on Foobar2000, which is a freeware software. It can be a bit...PC like of a software...lots of menus and sub-menus, and clicking and all that is having full access to a PC. That said, it only took me 10 minutes to get it going following a guide I found online that wasn't exactly like my setup, but close enough for me to figure it out and get it up and running.

Doing a quick search, I came up with this guide for you:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/play-music-audiophile-foobar2000-windows/

You'll also need a source of files. I took my whole 1300+ CD collection and ripped them using dbPoweramp, which I don't believe is a freeware program, but it's fast and easy. It literally took me 3 months ripping a few CDs a night while watching TV to get through all 1300+ CDs. I'd recommend you rip to FLAC format for now - keep it simple. I'd get the software setup, Rip a few of your CDs to FLAC, and see if you like the computer rout before going whole hog like I did.

A couple things to keep in mind. Part of what makes Foobar a great program is it's simplicity. But you can add on features with "components" - these are little...lets call them apps, that programmers come up with that add features to Foobar.

Also, you need to setup Foobar to output what your DAC is capable of. For example, mine is capable of 24bit 384kHz playback, but yours might only be able to handle 24 96kHz (for example), and your playback software should be setup appropriately (though I try to avoid any downsampling or converting if possible).

For hardware, get a good, short USB cable. If you have to buy one, just get a $20 Belkin USB certified one from your computer store. Otherwise most any USB cable will do to get you started - just be aware they don't all work well with DACs.

That's all I can think off of the top of my head right now. Hopefully that gets you started.

I'm in Bolingbrook by the way - I (re)build and sell inexpensive laptops and desktops if you want something a little more powerful. I have a few that are pretty well good to go for only $150 if you find your current one is lacking. I'd be happy to have you over for a listen of my setup and possibly help you out with your current machine if you really get stuck.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/14 at 08:04:59

So is this Netbook something you already own or considering purchasing?  Also are your CD's already ripped to a hard drive?

If you haven't purchased it yet ~ you should consider a Laptop or something with more memory and CD ROM to rip them to hard disk.  Although most people have a PC around the house and if that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem ripping them.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/14 at 18:15:50

Edited:

My netbook has 2Gb ram.  The whole computer is using 758Mb (40%).  
Foobar is using 60Mb (3%). Windows sidebar is using 88Mb by comparison.  At 3%, foobar is using very little memory. The slowness  is the best that tiny CPU can do.  The CPU runs at 30% when music is playing. It spikes to max when I search music.  Assuming win7 runs ok on a 512Mb machine, foobar won't add a huge load to it. It might be Ok, but it won't be quick.  For me, playing music, it's adequate. And I already own it.

Foobar2000 is the best player I know of.  It uses the least amount of memory so I am successfully running on a dedicated netbook. (don't remember how much ram)   windows in general is slow, and I can see it takes time while I'm search for songs on it, (ex: in the Find window, as I type E L, it takes a couple seconds to scroll to Elton John, though it is searching 1700 cd's.  on a faster pc, this operation is instantaneous.) but when it's just doing it's main job, playing music, it's fine.  the only addon/component I use is the WASAPI driver which allows foobar to output bit perfect and bypass the windows audio mixer.   No windows mixer.  no auto leveling crap.  no dsp toys.  no alterations to the lossless music files.   No other running programs (and I turn off most unnecessary processes/services, and bump up foobars process priority, but you don't need to do this).  

This tiny pc, on a big old lcd monitor and a wireless keyboard, and I control all my music from the couch.  

btw, I tried other players on this netbook, and they were more sluggish on this resource limited pc.  foobar2000 is great, for many reasons, but in this case, it's the only good choice.

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/15/14 at 16:25:36

dla405j:
Quote:
Have extra input in preamp so I thought I would try pc netbook for digital downloads or streaming audio, hookup pc via usb to outboard dac (mine has usb input) & run rca connections from outboard dac to input on preamp ....can add other hard drives to notebook if needed, has 512 ram and told I did NOT need more....am I missing something here??  

Old Guy, 512MB ram, IMO is not enough for Win7 (any version). I assume you are quoting MegaBytes and not GigaBytes for the netbook. If you were just streaming from Amazon, Google or Apple is might be barely adequate, but if you're ripping CDs and intend on building a local music library, it's inadequate. Again, my opinion. Microsoft's minimum recommendation is between 1GB for 32bit and 2GB for 64bit OS; see here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

While not a fan of netbooks (for music storage/playback), I recommend a bare minimum of 4GB RAM, if your netbook can handle it for Win7. I also recommend you visit the website link below regarding the best way to setup a PC based music system:

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/Win7Audio.htm

As for a media player, foobar2000 is excellent and free, however, I suggest you also consider J.River Media Center. It's not free, but there is a 30 day free trial.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=38.0

For J.River, these links might also be helpful reading:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

Not to put any rebellious thoughts in your head ;D but, have you ever considered putting a lean, mean copy of Linux Mint Mate edition on your netbook for a music server. http://www.linuxmint.com/

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print