Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 21:01:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I want to upgrade from my Fisher 400 - advice? (Read 2231 times)
tlarwa

I want to upgrade from my Fisher 400 - advice?
11/10/14 at 03:53:13

I currently run a Fisher 400, which was completely rebuilt by the late Paul Grzybek, of Bizzy Bee audio in Chicago (a noted Fisher expert).  It's a wonderful receiver, but as it's only the second tube amp I've owned, I haven't experienced many to compare it to.  The rest of my system is all analog.  I run a rebuilt AR XA as my second table (currency set up to play mono albums) and my main table is an Empire 208 with a Jelco 750D arm and AT150Mlx cartridge.  It's running through a Parks Audio Budgie tubed phono preamp.  The AR runs through the phono stage of the Fisher (which isn't bad).  I currently run modded Klipsch Forte II speakers, which I enjoy.  But I'm knee deep in a build of a pair of Decware ZOB speakers, which will utilize the TB W8-1808 drivers.  

Anyway, I'm getting restless, and am wondering what a next logical progression would be for my system, to improve on the Fisher (and assuming I'll be running the ZOB's).  As it probably is for many of you, this is a "self-funded" hobby, so I don't have scads of cash laying around to spend.  That said, I could probably free up $1500 or so if I sold the Forte II's and the Fisher.  Could I improve on my my amp stage for that kind of money, or would it take a bit more?  I'm not at all opposed to buying off the used market, by the way.  Any suggestions on what you might do in my position?  I don't need a tuner, so an amp/preamp combo or integrated amp would be fine.  I also don't care if I have the second phono stage, as I have a Cambridge 640p sitting on the shelf.  For the ZOB's, which I believe will be about 94-95dB efficient, what type of amp would you suggest?  I've never tried a low-power amp (although the Fisher is only 28W/ch, so it's not a monster by any means).  

So help guide a relatively inexperienced tubie as to where to go next.  By the way, I listen to a lot of jazz, classic rock, prog rock, singer/songwriter stuff, etc.  Not much classical, and no rap, hip-hop, etc.  I have a purpose-built dedicated listening room (12'x17') and like to turn the lights way down and get totally lost in the music.  I'm not a headbanger at all (although I do like to turn it up once in a while!).  Which I would have known about Zen fest in time, so I could listen to some amps.  I actually live relatively close, in SE WI.  

Thanks!

Tom

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re:  I want to upgrade from my Fisher 400 - advice?
Reply #1 - 11/10/14 at 16:37:52

Tom, I'm in Bolingbrook, IL, a bit south of you, I'm always happy to have people over to listen to my digital setup based around Decware and PS Audio gear. But if you go 3 hours south of me, you can just go demo all the gear at Decware. Give Steve a call and schedule a visit! He's an excellent host, and is really good at dialing you in to what you need.

That Fisher is a great receiver - I love anything with a Magic Eye tube in it! That said, the detail and subtleties that a proper audiophile amp like the Decware gear brings you, will make you realize that you had a Camro (Daily Driver) and now are moving on to a Porsche.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a used Tori III and the CSP3 preamp or the ZP3 Phono preamp, but that is probably more than double your $1500 budget.

If you can't stretch that so far, then check out the Rachel and ZP3 or used CSP2. With those TB Drivers @93db 1watt, you should be fine with a Rachel.

Lots of option, but since you're somewhat local, I recommend making the pilgrimage and listen to the gear yourself! It's quite enlightening.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 11/10/14 at 19:15:58

I have a Fisher 500C that is not upgraded like your 400 BUT having just received a Rachael and ZP3 I can tell you that we are discussing day and night. If you want to get really lost in the music, you are on the correct path. Decware amps are not your standard ''tubey'' product. When broken in with a thoughtfully set up room, you will be so lost we'll see your picture on a milk carton. Tight and articulate bass and mids, extended top end with all the musical harmonics present. These pieces are a great gateway to musical enjoyment, and you will find yourself laughing when you get your next copy of your favorite audio magazine...Enjoy and keep us posted. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #3 - 11/10/14 at 20:12:11

I'm pretty happy with my Parks Audio Budgie tubed phono pre, especially since it's built to handle MM and MC cartridges.  From what I can see, the Rachel is an integrated amp, correct?  So would I still want/need the expense of the CSP3?  Or is the preamp stage of the Rachel adequate?  I really have no need for a headphone amplifier, since I never listen to 'phones.  Would the Rachel have adequate power to drive the ZOB's with the W8-1808 drivers in a room my size?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 11/10/14 at 21:10:27

The Rachael is an amp that you can order with one or two volume controls, no pre-amp in it. I am running my phono straight into the amp (with single vc) and get plenty of gain/volume with my less than ideal speakers (89/90db). You may want to check out the ZOB pages and see what people are running these with. If 6 watts is enough, the Rachael is a wonderful product. IMHO. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 11/10/14 at 22:56:17

Quote:
These pieces are a great gateway to musical enjoyment, and you will find yourself laughing when you get your next copy of your favorite audio magazine..

That's funny that you mention that - I do that all the time when I'm at the book store. I pick up a magazine, and just laugh, and put it back down. There are few items out there that even catch my attention these days, let alone don't make me laugh out loud. I'm very focused on finding/discovering new, and especially the well recorded albums.

Tom, the Decware amps aren't integrated, but they do have a volume control so you can run directly - source - amp - speakers, and be able to dial the volume down.

If you're happy with your current phono preamp, then give the Torii line a serious look through. The Rachel is a nice silky amp, but I like the extra headroom and power of the Torii amps - it's less of a worry as to what speakers you use then.

Seriously though, go visit Steve and go listen.

ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/11/14 at 00:44:07

It would be a shame to sell the fortes to finance this.  They pair well w/ the Mini Torii, and even better with it's bigger brothers.  Fortes>>>ZOB, going from the former to the latter is a backwards move (IMO, ymmv, usual disclaimers).

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #7 - 11/11/14 at 03:31:52

Quote:
Fortes>>>ZOB, going from the former to the latter is a backwards move (IMO, ymmv, usual disclaimers).

We'll see.  I'm wondering the same thing, given that I really like the Forte's.  I think it'll be "different" rather than "better" or "worse".  I won't be selling anything until I'm sold on the ZOB's.  At least I'm doing all the work, so the investment is reasonable should I not care for them.  But I am excited to try an OB design in my room listening to some jazz.  I am quite sure the two speakers will be very different, no doubt!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 11/11/14 at 03:37:50

Lonely- want to guess what was in my mailbox tonight?? Yep, new TAS. Been home two hours and I haven't even cracked it yet. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/11/14 at 05:49:47

Quote:
I think it'll be "different" rather than "better" or "worse".

Very different radiation patterns and room interaction, so it depends on how they're implemented.  Dipoles must be well out into the room to work best.  With horn speakers like yours, given proper implementation/placement, the room influence is greatly mitigated.

http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/66901

http://libinst.com/PublicArticles/Setup%20of%20WG%20Speakers.pdf

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/17/14 at 17:58:24

Quote:
The Rachael is an amp that you can order with one or two volume controls, no pre-amp in it. I am running my phono straight into the amp (with single vc) and get plenty of gain/volume with my less than ideal speakers (89/90db).

Chris, So you have no preamp between your TT output and the input to the Rachael? What type cartridge do you have if I may ask? Sounds like an excellent solution to one of my problems.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 11/17/14 at 19:11:14

Core32 - I have a re-built (Soundsmith) Monster Cable Alpha 1000 low output mc (.02) that runs into a ZMC1 >ZP3>Rachael with volume and off to the speakers. Sounds amazing now and getting better. The amp must have 150 hours at least and the ZP3 is around 50 or so. I may change my speakers before I consider the CPS3 pre. My wife was listening with me Sat and Sun and commented on many positive aspects of the new gear. Loving it! Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/17/14 at 19:20:14

I have a Rachael setup and live about 15 minutes north of Lonely Raven in the Chicago burbs.  I have a TT but not a good one and certainly not a good phono pre, but I could show you how a digital source sounds with a Rachael.  

I don't listen to speakers anymore, just an enveloping wall of sound with really good instrument placement within said wall.

That said, I would say +1 to what Raven said.  Steve can show you combos of speakers/amps to suit your needs.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #13 - 11/19/14 at 00:52:59

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.  I'm definitely convinced that a move away from my Fisher, as much as I've enjoyed it, will be a significant upgrade.  And it sounds like I could get by with running my Budgie MM/MC phono pre directly into either a Rachel or Torii, which would get me in the game without having to spring for a preamp right away.  I'll have to check the Budgie specs to see what the gain is.  I run 2 turntables, but can only listen to one at a time anyway, so I can always make a cable switch if I wanted to change my source.  I may even consider jettisoning my rebuilt AR XA to free up more funds to go towards an amp.  Between the Fisher and the XA I'm probably looking at a grand plus right there.  I won't be in the Torii league, but I could probably swing a Rachel if someone here decides to upgrade and sell theirs!  So many decisions.  I've spent considerable time getting my system where it is now on a shoestring budget (darn college kids!) and want to make sure I make a purchase I wont regret.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 11/19/14 at 13:52:30

Quote:
I don't listen to speakers anymore, just an enveloping wall of sound with really good instrument placement within said wall.

Dude, you're not kidding. I've been thinking about your system a lot lately. It really makes me crave a dedicated room - and I feel sorry for those that think they have "it" in soundstage.  :)

Quote:
So many decisions.  I've spent considerable time getting my system where it is now on a shoestring budget (darn college kids!) and want to make sure I make a purchase I wont regret.

Well you came to the right place. Steve doesn't make clunkers as far as I've seen and heard. Everything needs to please him before it's ready for public consumption - I've been happy with every amp I've heard from Decware.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/19/14 at 18:24:28

My room, your amp and DS Dac over the holidays!  Maybe I can get you to make me one of your patented cocktails.  I want the round ice cube though.

We'll have to discuss the source though.  Maybe that could be the comparo part of the session.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/19/14 at 18:29:57

and tlarwa, I was/am in a similar situation with the college tuition and I got started with a Rachael.  Best hifi purchase of my life and took me down a path to really sweet sound.  With the ZOB I believe you could  also get by with a 2 watt zen amp at a lower cost (used even).  Raven loaned me his 15 year old zen and it sounds great.

Beautiful build on the ZOB BTW.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 11/19/14 at 18:46:04

Quote:
Raven loaned me his 15 year old zen and it sounds great.

Yeah, we need to swap tubes on that and see if we can resolve that noise that's going on. Otherwise I need to take it in to Steve for a looksee.

I'm up for a listening session!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/19/14 at 19:09:13

I think its a tube.  I replaced the rectifier and the input tube and the swishing is gone.  Still a hum, but its barely audible from the listening position.

Listening now.  Pretty sweet for a 15 year old 2w amp.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 11/19/14 at 21:30:29

16 year old at this point!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 11/19/14 at 23:19:12

Lonely Raven wrote on 11/19/14 at 21:30:29:
16 year old at this point!

My Zen Amp #27 is likely as old! It was upgraded to "A" status but not any further; went with a Select after that. Talk about seasoned!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #21 - 11/20/14 at 03:12:04

Well, I'm pretty close to the Chicago area, and would be up for a listening session (hint, hint).  Or if you guys want to haul a Torii or a Rachel up to Lake Geneva, I'd be happy to host in my listening room.  We could hook it up to the ZOB's or see how they'd sound driving my Forte II's.  I'm all vinyl, though!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 11/20/14 at 04:28:10

Seriously, if you want to hear what Decware can do on a budget, we need to talk Palomino into hosting us at his place. I think he's spent less on his whole setup then I did on my Mystery Amp alone! His room is setup well, and I can drag my gear over there. I'd be curious to hear your speakers on his setup. Message him and see if he's up for it. I'm off on staycation all next week, getting some stuff done on the house. So I'm available.

tlarwa

Reply #23 - 11/20/14 at 05:29:37

Well, I could load the ZOB's into the car and drive them down.  I'd like to hear them with a Decware amp anyway.  Where exactly are you guys at, anyway?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/20/14 at 12:38:21

You are not that far.  Check your messages.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print