Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:54:41 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 72672 times)
NormD
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #600 - 01/08/19 at 15:43:08

From whom did you order your TungSol 7027’s?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #601 - 01/08/19 at 19:22:57

Hi Norm, I purchased from:

https://www.thetubestore.com/

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #602 - 01/09/19 at 15:46:37

Out for delivery....and FedEx usually deliver's sooner than later here!

Tubes! I love tubes............... .

https://www.thetubestore.com/tung-sol-7027a

I am so impressed with these seasoned in bad ass mofo's!
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/tungsram-6922?var...
I will be burning in the 7027A's with them.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #603 - 01/09/19 at 18:09:27

GOT um', ......I will get them in Friday night or Saturday morning!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #604 - 01/10/19 at 12:18:27

Just popped in a quad of Tube Amplifier Doctor (TAD) 7027a's into the ZMA. It's my first set of TAD tubes. Giving them a try given Lon's positive experience with TAD KT66's in his Torii amp. I've been listening to Tung-sol 7581's recently.

I'll post listening observations after they settle in.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #605 - 01/10/19 at 12:20:24

Cool! I hope you dig them. I've had great experience with their EL84, 6V6 and KT-66 tubes, very reliable and long-lived and sound great. I've never tried any of the tube type you are now using, and I no longer have any amps that would use that type.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #606 - 01/12/19 at 03:20:13

Tung-Sol 7027A quad in today for 4 hours. Knee jerk impression is I like the bass and let the seasoning roll!

Might have my 5th ZMA Amp with these.

Two 6 pin quads
Two 7 pin quads
One 8 pin quad

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #607 - 01/12/19 at 15:08:19

I have the Tung-Sol 7027A's lit up again for the day before Football at 3:30 central.

Very much enjoy my Tungsram 6922's with my GL Cryogenic KT88 & T-Sol Cryogenic 7581A's.

Even though I only have 4 hours on the 7027A's....I put my Cryogenic Mullard's back in on these/inputs/this morning.....ahhh, 6.5 hours and counting .....very nice with the Mull's in.  Of course, 50 to 75 hours I'll put my Tungsram's back in and see if they will hang.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/mullard-e188cc-73...

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/tungsram-6922?var...

Note: What I love about the 7581A's and also apparent with the 7027A's, is the swing bias that can be applied. 50mA to 62mA. The KT66's & KT88's have their very tight parameter of 60 and 74-78 respectively. ...which is fine...the KT66's have taken on new life for me with the mod's and the KT88's....whoa....very nice too.

I have my 7027A's at 52mA right now.....all so good!

Sorry, non ZMA owner's.....bias & balance on the fly, are so important. I can't go back to fixed.  
Plus, being able to maximize your power tubes lifespan/longevity, with bias & balance is unparalleled IMO.

Steve = Genius.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #608 - 01/18/19 at 19:27:39

I typically use russian 6N5P or 6N1P-EV tubes in my ZMA and CSP3 and always liked them equally well.  However, I switched to the 6N5Ps a few days ago and just didn't care for them.  Besides an obvious loss of volume there just seemed to be a lifelessness with them.  I left them in for a few days but finally swapped them out for the 6N1P-EVs.  Immediately things came back to life.  For some reason, post Anniversary mods, the 6N5Ps just don't work for me anymore.  Which is a bummer since I have a ton of them!   Tongue

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #609 - 01/18/19 at 20:02:21

Hey Archie. Wow, that is interesting. Here, without and with mods, 6N5P seem closer in clarity and volume to many 6922, 7DJ8, and 6DJ8s, where 6N1P, quieter and tending to more veiled. I wonder if the 6N5Ps you tried are weak? For lack of use, I got rid of most of the 6N1Ps that came with amps, but a 3 mica pair I still have fit past impressions of less fine detail and quieter, so much so I could not comfortably use 6N1P in my Torii due to early distortion.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #610 - 01/18/19 at 21:01:54

Hi will & Arch.

Arch you just beat me to it. I can't say my Mull's are not still great with the Mod's, but NOW....my Tungsram NOS 6922/E88CC's are so so good! The Mull's can sit on the shelf, indefinitely.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #611 - 01/18/19 at 23:47:13

Will, I bought NOS from Russia.  The tubes are inexpensive and nothing fancy but they don't have many hours on them and they are the same ones I liked before.  As you know, I'm not good with tube nuance but I go with my gut when I'm just not happy with a tube change.

The only reason I tried the 6N5Ps in the first place was because Steve liked them so much.  I think the 6N1P-EVs are what he shipped my ZMA with (but not the same ones I'm using now).

Either my tastes changed or the Anniversary modifications change things enough that tube choices need review.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #612 - 01/19/19 at 01:45:29

Hey Archie.

Interesting. I can't explain it. A lot of Russian tubes can be variable, and ones from different factories and vintages can vary a fair bit also, but it seems pretty indisputable, the actual tubes being the same pairs you liked before. Trusting the gut is a good thing alright, but I thought your description of what you heard seemed like things you would like or not like in a tube too!

Wink

I think you can trust your perception perhaps more than you think you can.

I commented since I couldn't quite feature how Steve's mods could make the 6N1P and 6N5P perform opposite to how I have experienced them, or why the mods would cause the 6N5P to sound less lively or quieter. I guess what you described sounded to me like the labels on the tubes had mysteriously traded places.

With my modifications, I stayed mainly with the same tube sets for reference, but occasionally did some tube and cable rolling to assure myself I was not getting off track in some odd way. Not all inclusive by any means (I have lots and lots of tubes), but so far, the tubes I try sound better than before, doing whatever they did more completely. Also it seems the mods narrowed the differences between tubes by making some less refined tubes (in my system) sound more complete, and those I thought truly excelled, still excel, but the gap is narrower. This is all relative though, and not all tubes. I still can easily prefer one over another, but it seems less obvious. This experience contributed to my being tripped up when you felt like the ZMA mods made the 6N5P quieter and duller than a 6N1P.

Anyway, sorry your old fav is not working as well for you now, but glad your older fav is! With luck, changes in tubes, more burn in, or other things might bring the stash of 6N5P back into play!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #613 - 01/19/19 at 15:07:04

I was also wondering if the 25th Anniversary mods might make tube rolling less impactful. So to test that I rolled out my Telefunken ECC88/6DJ8's (CCa's in the inputs) and replaced them with Amperex 7308's and the highs seemed muddied, but it was close, but something was missing - might have been the wine. So considering the cost of NOS ECC88's, I am trying Telefunken E88CC-TK/6922's (new tubes made in the JJ factory) in the inverter and my ECC88 CCa's back in the inputs and the magic is back. I'm going to save my other NOS Telefunken ECC88's for the inputs when I have to replace the CCA's and I can readily and cheaply replace the TK's in the inverters any time. I'm still using my 7027a's as the Power Tubes.

Now I am wondering about testing the ECC88-TK's in my ZTPRE in place of my Amperex's.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #614 - 01/19/19 at 15:38:56

Hey Norm, I have a pair of those JJ Telefunkens in my Magnum Dynalab 90T SE tuner (came with them). I liked them, but rolled in some Amperex 7308s which I thought were a bit nicer--warmer and "deeper"--but then I was never a fan of the original Telefunken sound as much as Amperex.

I took out the Amperex 7308s to get three pairs to put in my ZTPRE. I really like the 7308s in the ZTPRE, and I have the JJ Telefunkens back in the tuner. . . . The difference in the tuner is subtle, but I think the Amperex are "heartier" and add a bit of heft to the sound. Still the Tuner is my least listened to source and the JJ are doing well there, I probably won't get more Amperex 7308 to take their place. But I'm not tempted to get four more of the JJ and try them out in the ZTPRE, the Amperex there edge out the 6N5P as best tubes I've heard in the ZTPRE and I'm not messing with that "bliss."

I do think the 25th Anniversary Mods (in my case in the Monoblocks and the CSP3-25 and soon in a ZROCK2) are significant enough that tube choices should be revisited and some choices may change. I also find that addressing the whole complement of input, output, regulation and rectifier (if you have them in your component) tubes offer so many great combinations that there are several prime choices for each position that will blend well with prime choices for the others--many splendid complements of tubes are possible, lots and lots of good listening.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #615 - 01/19/19 at 17:34:01

Great to read guys and yeah with these mod's I've noticed how my Tungsrams have stole the show. My Mull's & Ediswans could end up in the Audiogon tube section this summer.

I have my other Tungsrams to check out yet as inputs and move the Telefunken's to input too now with these Mod's. I will check it out. Plus, the TK/6922.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #616 - 01/19/19 at 17:57:21

I've got to say these 7027a tubes sound absolutely gorgeous. Even more resolving than the 7581 tubes and with a realistic 3D soundstage. I've only found one online dealer that sells the Tube Amplifier Doctor (TAD) 7027a's. Here's a link to StewMac in case your want to try a matched quad. I haven't tried the Tung-Sol offerings, so I'm not sure how they compare.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Amp_Kits_and_Parts/Tubes/Tube_Am...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #617 - 01/19/19 at 19:02:53

After having ZMAs fully burnt in, and carefully tuned, new parts, especially good caps, I think it can be a little tricky. As has been mentioned, being used to burnt in amps in revealing systems, burnin is for real again after mods. Though ±100 hours seem to take care of most resistors, I find better caps pretty slow. I guess this may be part of odd experiences with some tubes. The way I hear it, relative to many others, Jupiter caps do sound pretty good pre-burnin, but they still move around through phases of less balanced, more muddled, to more balanced, complex, and clear.

I am using Miflex coppers for coupling caps in my Torii IV now, but below are my notes on Jupiter Coppers when I replaced Jupiter HT couplings with them. This was in late summer 2016. Luckily I have notes, but this fits my memory of other burnin cycles. My burnin helper, a Frybaby2, was newish then. Since, I have learned to use it better for pre-burnin, it is on incessantly. It helps me get a clear read on modifications quicker, allowing me to move on with relative confidence to the next experiment.

This exploration has verified the FryBaby2 is good indeed for getting through the rougher parts of burnin. From my notes:

"Jupiter Copper coupling caps replacing Jupiter HT’s:

I ran them on my FryBaby2 for a couple weeks which really helped, but I still continue to hear subtle changes 6 weeks later. The way I listen now, that is about 300-350 hours of amp time, and after over 300 on the burnin unit. I don’t know how the FryBaby relates hour-for-hour compared to amp time with caps, but I know it helps solve the hard parts of burnin with everything I have tried it on. I feel like the caps are pretty settled now but may possibly have a bit to go to reach their consistent potential.

To me, they sound more natural and real in every way than the HT’s in the MKIV. They have a greater sense of resolution...like there are more “particles” making the sound than the HT’s."

Music without an effective burnin rig, I have noticed 350 hours, give or take, for good caps to even up and start showing steadiness as they continue to improve. Then, there will likely be subtler shifts again in the ±600 range as they head into deeper refinement. Without that much time, there are likely still burnin oddities confusing the experience.  

Now I use the Frybaby at least 3 weeks on more recalcitrant caps, then music. Even difficult Russian Teflon and Silver/Mica caps, after several weeks on the unit, tend to resolve after a week or so of fairly heavy music play. And less difficult caps start sounding pretty right within a several days of 6-8 hours of music/day, and pretty pain free along the way! ...a lot better for me than 300-600 of listening time!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #618 - 01/19/19 at 20:20:06

I almost hate to hear that the 7027As are so good.  Now I have a quad of those to my list.  Stone, how do you like the TungSol 7027A compared to the 7581As?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #619 - 01/19/19 at 20:37:15

I hear you Archie. The 7027a quad is my 6th set of power tubes for the ZMA. Plenty of back up options,, but I'll probably pick up another quad of TAD 7027a tubes, just in case🤗.

HK

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #620 - 01/19/19 at 23:16:19

I like them Arch. Great slam and articulate. I am especially enjoying them with Tungsram 6922 inputs. The Mod's are pushing this Amp to new places for the better, too.

I have not compared them (Tung-Sol 7027A's), to my Tung-Sol Cryo 7581A's yet ....they are very different quads though and should be. I might end up enjoying one quad over the other, will see. But, once again, enjoying their differences is what I enjoy. As are my Reflector Cryo 6P's, Tung-Sol KT66's and Gold Lion Cryo KT88's, different from each.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #621 - 01/20/19 at 00:04:46

I'm still looking for the one tube to rule them all!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #622 - 01/20/19 at 13:37:01

I don't know if you really want to have that Archie? I'm being redundant, but I enjoy the differences of my five quads mentioned above, to much not to roll them.

Plus now, with the Mod's, I switched my Telefunkens to input and so very good! My Tungsram's have come in to play now too. The Mullard's and Ediswan's have been shelved!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #623 - 01/20/19 at 16:47:28

I know it seems crazy, but I prefer the Telefunken in the inverter's. They define the input tubes character like no tomorrow.

I agree with HK, the 3D soundstage from these guys (7027A's), albeit different brands is to make one leave them alone. It will be awhile for the other quads to rotate in.

.....going to be very hard to walk out of here for Football at 2.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #624 - 01/20/19 at 18:47:16

I'm the personality type that likes "closed solutions" in math and HiFi!   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #625 - 01/21/19 at 15:34:37

You're in the wrong hobby then. Grin

Tube Amp's are of the subjectivity/qualitative; is very far from quantitative.
This includes of course, Cabling too. I could never go back from my KS6063 being fed from KS1030. My ZMA is at a whole other level.

Oh sure, we can measure what we can measure and Kimber has those number's. However, it's the ear brain connection, period that matters.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #626 - 01/21/19 at 17:58:03

Ha ha, ALL my hobbies are wrong!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #627 - 01/21/19 at 18:38:49

I read you on this and mine are all wrong too. Grin

Glad we have our pastimes to keep us busy/happy to the end.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #628 - 01/21/19 at 22:24:53

I'm off today Arch, so I had to put the 7581A's back in. They have more sparkle extended treble over the 7027A's. The 27's are more akin but not the same mind you, to my KT88's, and run cooler of course.

However, I do owe the 7027A's more hours and they will get it. Right now though as I write I'm in bliss with the 7581A's that might give up some in soundstage.....but all so good and extended up top that I love with my Adagio's.

Well, 31.5 hours to get in at work the next 3 days ....then off Friday and back to power tube rolling!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #629 - 01/21/19 at 22:45:54

I've got my 7581As back in too.  They are magical!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #630 - 01/25/19 at 16:44:18

Hey Archie.  If you are looking to get rid of some of your 6N5P's, I've been wanting to try them.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #631 - 01/25/19 at 17:24:52

Geno, my two cents. . . I've bought a number of 6N5P from various sources and none compared to the tested and selected ones I got from Steve. If you want to try 6N5P I recommend ordering them from Steve.  I just ordered output tubes from him and they arrived in less than two weeks.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #632 - 01/25/19 at 17:30:25

While I'm sure Lon is right, these are NOS tubes at a pretty low price per each.  I'll PM you.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #633 - 01/25/19 at 20:03:26

Sounds good, Archie.

Thank you for the info, Lon. I will bear that in mind.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #634 - 01/29/19 at 03:32:48

I just put in Tungsram E88CC’s in my ZMA inputs and, as Stone said, they are magical. They opened up my high end more than I expected. Almost too much, so I’ll run them for a while and try my Telefunken E88CCa’s again. Or maybe not. I still running the E88CC-TK’s in the inverters and the 7027’s.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #635 - 02/11/19 at 21:29:58

Ah, a new set of 6n5p tubes from Decware arrived. Popped them into the ZMA. There we go, the magic is back.

HK

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #636 - 02/13/19 at 19:07:55

Quote:
Ah, a new set of 6n5p tubes from Decware arrived. Popped them into the ZMA. There we go, the magic is back.

Steve has mentioned something about matching distortion parameters on a scope or something when he tests his tubes. I really need to ask if this is something he can show me how to do, because his "red tipped" (e.g.  tested and sorted) tubes are for sure the cream of the crop. While these NOS Russian tubes are inexpensive and easy to get, I'm at the point where I'd rather pay him sort the best of the best, than have me buy several and poke through them by ear.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #637 - 02/13/19 at 19:30:56

LR,

My last quad was an eBay purchase from Russia. They started crackling on amp start up and getting noisy after ~1700 hours in the ZMA. Steve's set is carefully matched and dead quiet.

I hope they'll last longer, don't mind paying more for the quality control and testing Decware employs - peace of mind.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #638 - 02/13/19 at 19:42:38

BTW,

I'm super impressed with the Tube Amplifier Doctor (TAD) 7027a quad in the ZMA. Great tone, excellent frequency response, and so clean sounding when paired with the 6n5p tubes. Heavy duty construction.😎

StewMac is having a 10% off sale, so I just picked up a back up quad. They're a little bit more $ than the TungSol 7027a quad, but I really like these.

HK

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #639 - 02/15/19 at 20:44:38

Quote:
My last quad was an eBay purchase from Russia. They started crackling on amp start up and getting noisy after ~1700 hours in the ZMA. Steve's set is carefully matched and dead quiet.

That sounds like my experience as well.

Re: TAD tubes are typically the same Russian and Chinese tubes you get under other name brands, but they run them through thorough testing and burn in - so like Steve's they tend to be the cream of the crop.  

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #640 - 02/15/19 at 23:33:21

I don't use my russian 6N5Ps anymore but I've had great luck with the Russian 6N1P-EVs.  I've been getting them at about $2.50/tube.  I'm sure Steve's are fantastic but that's an awful big price difference.  If a few go bad early I'm not too concerned.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #641 - 02/15/19 at 23:38:15

Archie . .  yeah, all these Russian tubes can be had pretty cheap. I've been playing around with some cheap 6N6P right now off and on.

But . . . I've a lot of 6N1P I have bought over the years, some cryo'd, some from eBay via Russia, etc. And I have red-tipped Steve chosen/matched/tested. The difference in sound between the others is interesting, they do vary in sound. . . but Steve's are head and shoulders above the others. The time that Steve puts into his process and his process itself pays off. From now on I won't buy 6N1P and 6N5P from anyone else. . . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #642 - 02/16/19 at 00:30:39

It might be a case of "ignorance is bliss!"  I'm using 7 6N1P-EVs right now and I'd have a hard time with the extra cost so I sort of don't want to know.   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #643 - 02/27/19 at 17:33:41

Thanks to this thread, I am running the Tung Sol 7581A's in my Torri MK3 with excellent results. Really linear and transparent.  The only thing they could improve on, and this is being really picky, is I would like some additional midrange bloom. Especially with vocals. Do they change much after 25 hrs?

I love the mid range of the Gold Lion KT66 but the bass lacks control and the highs are lacking. But these 7581A’s are so good even with just a few hours on them.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #644 - 03/01/19 at 06:09:07

Quote:
The only thing they could improve on, and this is being really picky, is I would like some additional midrange bloom. Especially with vocals.

That is where my JAN Philips 7027a output tubes absolutely CRUSH IT.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #645 - 03/01/19 at 12:42:22

I just installed NOS Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8‘a in my input and inverter positions and the mid ranges are stellar. The soundstage significantly improved as well as the midrange clarity while the highs are clean and
clear with full, strong bass. I’m running 7027a’s from TAD as well. Very pleased.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/cgi-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*20b7b4534d0...

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #646 - 03/02/19 at 04:06:37

Tube rolling makes me wonder...  when we adjust the hot water in the shower every morning, do we get the temperature exactly the same each time?  

It truly is the magic and the beauty of tube amps... being able to voice them and explore your music from different angles!  

Think of different tubes as different focal lengths on a telescope and space as the recording you wish to explore.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #647 - 04/14/19 at 00:16:30

Any consensus in preference between the 7581A and the 7027A in the ZMA?  I'm back to the 7581As after a stint with my 6Ps.  I'm less fond of the 6Ps with 100% anniversary mods and lots of breakin.  I'm not sure whether to try a quad of 7027As or stick with the 7581As.  (Just affordable new production tubes!   Cool)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #648 - 04/14/19 at 16:15:38

Quote:
Just affordable new production tubes!   Cool

There is something to be said about the ease, convenience, and affordability of this approach.  Fortunately and unfortunately, my best experiences have been with NOS tubes, but that has as much to do with variety in options as it does in design/build quality, in my option.  There were a lot more in the tube making game back in the days compared to the few making tubes today.  

I have not found a better output tube than my JAN Phillips ECG 7027A's.  I bought 8 of them for about $1000.  I have had them in for just under 2 years I believe?  Maybe a year and a half.  Two have failed, so I am down to only two more spares.  I  dread the day I have to pull them and put something else in.  Ill keep looking to see if I can pick up another matched pair or quad.  

I still have not tried the 7581A'S which I intend to do at some point.  Although not the same tube as 7027A's, there are enough similarities in their specs that I imagine they will sound good in my system - based on what others have reported here.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #649 - 04/14/19 at 18:37:07

Jeff, have you tried any of the new production 7027As or 7581As versus your NOS tubes?  I appreciate how some vintage tubes can be superior but I doubt I'll ever be able to spend for them.

My 6Ps were sounding kind of lifeless despite biasing closely as a quad.  If NOS makes as big a difference as the new production Tung-Sol 7581As did compared to the 6Ps, I'm in trouble.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
Send Topic Print