Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:49:54 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 72699 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #350 - 02/28/18 at 15:28:37

Hi Norm, you being an Ediswan input and premium Telefunken inverter guy too..... .

As you know the KT66's with the Ediswan's have some stronger bass. However, when I use the Mullard's as inputs....more detail comes through the pushing out on the KT66's. I also, like the extended top end treble, the sparkle present with the Mullard/KT66 combo + midrange to die for that trumps the Ediswan's.
NOTE: My Adagio Tweeter's are capable of more clean/musical treble output....than the HiVi Swan Tweeter found in the Monolith's, ERRx and HR-1's.
Mr. Lee's in-house/California-USA made Tweeter is truly remarkable (+the German made under-hung woofer's made to his specifications and the extremely well executed Transmission Line).
However, the Ediswan's still have their place...and why I won't part with my two pair.

Now, Edi's with the 6P3S's are good...but the Mullard's with the 6P's....treasure trove so much detail that is laid back and so there....I won't use the the Ediswan's with these output tubes anymore.

~ All NOS Platinum graded Tubes from Upscale Audio (except 6N23P's):

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #351 - 02/28/18 at 19:06:07

Got my 6N5P lot of 8 tubes in today. Stuck one  in the Taboo Mk IV in place of a cryo'd 6N1P I have been using the past few days.

Very nice tube. Do I like it better than the cryo'd 5N1P? Not sure at the moment. . . will have to let it burn in a bit. But for the price these are great backups to have at the least.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #352 - 02/28/18 at 22:42:41

Lon, what date stamp is on your 6N5P tubes?  Most of mine are 71 or 72 but a couple are 80s.  I wonder if there's any difference?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #353 - 02/28/18 at 23:31:34

Darned if I know. . . I didn't notice any codes nor know how to read them! I stuck one in my Taboo MK III for now after a brief spell in my Mk IV and I have the others still wrapped in bubble wrap in the cabinet. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #354 - 03/01/18 at 02:09:38

OK, Stone, your reputation is on the line! I just ordered four Mullard 7308’s from Upscale. I already have the Tung-Sol KT66’s and a quad of TAD KT66’s to test. This never ends, does it?

My speakers are Focal 1038e’s and they have the crisp berkelium tweeters, so the Mullards should be a good match. The speakers also have plenty of bass and clear mids, so this will be interesting.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #355 - 03/01/18 at 03:35:35

I think you're going to like them Norm. Very nice Speakers!

With the KT66 & 6P.....for me, they just do everything so well.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #356 - 03/01/18 at 14:37:22

Norm, now with the matched four you bought..... .

I did not like using the Mull's as phase inverter's.

It was serendipity to find that the Telefunken, which I do not enjoy as an input tube....but found each time I tried something else as inverter's....I preferred the Telefunken's back in as phase splitter's to really make my input Mullard's shine and input Ediswan's.

Phase Inverter, also known as the Phase Splitter ~ its function is relatively simple: take a signal input, and create two outputs, one that is identical (e.g. in-phase) to the original, and another that is a mirror-image (phase-inverted or flipped phase).....feed output tube(s).

Relatively simple....maybe and maybe not....however, I have found....wow, probably the most important are the phase splitter's to RENDER THE BEST OUT OF YOUR INPUT PAIR feeding the splitter's and then to output tubes and then output trannies.

.....just my opinion and discovery.

Tubes we are talking about for reference:
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/telefunken-e88cc-...
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/mullard-e188cc-73...
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/Mullard-E188CC-7308
Ediswan's .....no longer available ...but can be found.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=M6Hx%2bQa8&id=E1D2FC6227B6...

NOTE/DISCLAIMER: I run a high voltage/output transformer DAC (ZDSD), directly to my Amp (ZMA), adjusting input gain with the ZMA. I do not like Preamp's***. I have owned several....., to render the most out of my TUBES....and their incredible sonic differences/it needs to be direct from DAC as described....this is how I find my musical bliss.
I also run Kimber KS1030 & Kimber Select KS6063. Lamp cord is not going to match these musical conduit's.

See my System in post/reply #348 of this Thread. I keep my original signature below....from 17 years ago....never forget where you came from and started..... . Actually, I started 41 years ago at age 13...came to Decware in May of 2001.

*** I do not like Preamp's ~ true. However, I do own a Class A hybrid that I use on occasion....lots of fun.
How fun is it? It turns my ZMA into an Class AB1 BEAST Cool....but, my Decware is about what I have made clear written above in Class A.
Make no mistake, the ZMA direct from ZDSD (sans Preamp), does not lack in dynamics-riding its Class A & AB1 wave.

For those out on the www. (as evidenced by the 42,000+ hits on this Tube Rolling Thread) ....for further reading of interest/if you're not already aware of the Zen Mystery Amp details:
https://www.decware.com/newsite/MYSTERY.html

Furthermore, of importance:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1476981128

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/clex9z20t4

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 03/02/18 at 15:44:29

Where did you get your KT66’s?  One tube in my original quad died, so I am using the TAD KT66’s which are sounding wonderful with the Ediswans as inputs and Telefunkens as inverters.

I found these Tung-Sol KT66’s and wondering if anyone had experience with them. https://m.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Tung-Sol-Reissue-KT66-Plate-Current-Matched-Qua...
d-4-Vacuum-Tubes-/122912628153?_mwBanner=1

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #358 - 03/02/18 at 16:07:38

Hi Norm. My last quad I purchased from Tube Depot. My next quad of KT66 and/or KT88's.....will be from Cryoset.

I had the same thing happen to my most recent quad of KT66 Tung-Sol from Tube Depot. One tube went....they were only 10 months old. I pulled my original quad early out of my ZMA and shelved. So, I was able to grab one of those and match her in. Nice, having Bias & Balance Meter's....on the fly as we only do in the ZMA! ....and glad my theory of having a quad on the shelf with plenty of life left in them to accommodate one tube going out in a newer quad. Without the Meter's...no could do.

So, my next quads are from Sheldon at Cryoset/exclusively. The Rock Solid 6P's attest to that.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #359 - 03/02/18 at 22:53:48

NormD wrote on 03/02/18 at 15:44:29:
Where did you get your KT66’s?  One tube in my original quad died, so I am using the TAD KT66’s which are sounding wonderful with the Ediswans as inputs and Telefunkens as inverters.

I found these Tung-Sol KT66’s and wondering if anyone had experience with them. https://m.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Tung-Sol-Reissue-KT66-Plate-Current-Matched-Qua...
d-4-Vacuum-Tubes-/122912628153?_mwBanner=1

Norm

TAD KT66 are my favorite of the KT66 that I have tried in the Torii Mk III, and I liked the Tung-Sol the least. Larry, I've had JJ 6CA7 cryo'd from Ron Sheldon at cryoset.com that failed on me way early (few months of work) so I think it's the tube maker not the tube seller that is at fault, they probably both tested the tubes and yet they failed early.

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #360 - 03/02/18 at 23:53:03

How do the Mullard ECC189's compare to the Mullard E188CC for the ZMA inputs?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #361 - 03/03/18 at 02:31:42

Quote:
So, my next quads are from Sheldon at Cryoset/exclusively. The Rock Solid 6P's attest to that.

That is for certain Stone!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #362 - 03/03/18 at 15:07:32

No experience here Norm, with the 189. I look forward to what you think of the 7308/E188CC's as inputs with the stellar Telefunken's we use Norm for inverter's. I would try the 6P's with this config and then the KT66's...the Tung's or your other.

I will buy one pair from you if you don't like them. However, I think, as in our Ediswan's we won't part with....same will go for these Mullard's. I won't part with mine.

Yes, for certain Jeff, with Ron S. Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - 03/09/18 at 02:57:36

I put the Mullard E188CC's in the input position and I am in awe. The mids and highs are amazing - they really helped balance out the KT66's I have the Telefunken E88CC's in the inverter and TAD KT66's as the Power tubes. Awesome combination.  I think I will leave this for a while.  Well, maybe a week...

I will try the Tung-Sol KT66's some time in the future.

I just snagged a pair of Telefunken E88CC/6922 CCa's.  Any suggestions on where to try them, input or inverter?  How do you think they will sound?

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #364 - 03/09/18 at 13:30:31

The Mullard E188CC/7308, is pretty damn special. I'm glad they ain't cheap....keeps stock available pretty much..... . The tone and remarkable layers of harmonics.....takes the ZMA to an whole other level IMO, nough' said.

They do really balance out the KT66's. I believe they will for you when you try the Tung-Sols. The Tung-Sols with the stock 6n23p's.....no go for me. So you can imagine with the Edi's and the even better/stellar Mull's....I was in heaven to sideline the stock 6n23p's. Plus, the Catalyst ....that is the premium Telefunken in our phase splitter position.

The Mull's are stellar with the 6P output tubes too.

You scored CCa's.....very nice. I would try both positions for periods... .

PS~I'm going to get the Cryo TAD KT66's next/instead of Gold Lion KT88's. I will get the Cyro KT88's eventually, but want to hear the Cryogenic TAD's with my Cryo Plat Mull's & our premium Tele's I/you're running Norm. Glad you like the Mullard's. This ZMA of our's.....is pretty darn Special. It never ceases to impress me.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #365 - 03/16/18 at 17:41:41

Norm, when you get around to trying the Tung-Sol KT66's..... .

I switched to my Ediswan's for inverter's. The edge that is presented (by the KT66 Tung-Sol's) from some recordings, is taken care of by the Edi's.

Line-up for my ZMA (0A3 NOS RCA's):

Mull's inputs, Tele's inverter's to 6P's (absolutely Love)

Mull's inputs, Edi's inverter's to KT66 Tung-Sol's (down right heaven, now).

However, I must admit, I prefer the Mull's > Tele's > KT66's, the majority of the time. But, like I mentioned, some recordings dig the Edi's in the inverter position sourcing to the Tung-Sol's. I have the Edi's in as inverter's for a two week run.

The 6P's fed/sourced by the Tele's as inverter's and the Mull's as input's....are spot on, every time with its presentation of recording's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #366 - 03/17/18 at 02:43:25

Stone:

You must be wearing out your tube sockets!

My current experiment is bypassing the ZTPre and going directly from the OPPO Sonica DAC (modified) into the ZMA. the difference is small, but I believe there is more clarity and dynamic range - not a lot, but noticeable.

I'll run this for a while before I try the Tung-Sol KT66's in place of the TAD KT66's and maybe swap around the inverters and inputs as you have.  Right now I am very pleased.  The TAD KT66's are awesome and have incredible bass in addition to clear highs and awesome mids.

I ordered the Morrow Elite Grand Reference XLR cables as an upgrade to my Morrow MA6 XLR cables and I will try Steve's ZSTYX speaker cables as well as the Morrow Elite speaker cables since Morrow has a 60% off sale.  I love the MA6's in my system.

This never stops, does it?  When I retire this will have to come to a halt, so I am free to play for another year.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #367 - 03/17/18 at 15:21:49

Norm, yes, I am very careful on those sockets.

Yes, I love my ZMA without Pre.  

I need to get those TADS!  I have not done it in awhile....so over the next 2 or 3 months...I'm switching around inputs and inverter's again...and see if I'm hearing my previous conclusions.

Nice Cables Norm. I am considering bringing in the Morrow (solid copper w/silver surfaced). I went to all copper in my KS6063 from my KS3035 speaker cables.  I want to see what I think of copper predominately in an Interconnect vs. my Kimber all Silver KS1030.

Does it ever stop? I know right? It will stop for me too....just a few other tweaks and maybe the UFO3(25th's).....but, I'm not keen on that output tube anymore and its availability...so probably not and I'm done.
.........except for, if Jeff's power cap experiment works out and if Steve visits the ZMA for some form of a bypass cap enhancement. If not? The ZMA is mighty fine as is!  ....especially with the Speaker's and Cabling we are running........ . + NOS TUBES!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #368 - 03/18/18 at 18:54:58

Does it ever stop?

......it might just have stopped for me.

The Mullard input > Telefunken inverter to the 6P's output/ZMA.....KS1030/KS6063 to Adagio's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #369 - 03/19/18 at 01:38:52

Interesting. I just swapped out my TAD KT66’s for the 6P3S’s and the latter seems a bit muddy on piano. I’ll swap back tomorrow.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #370 - 03/19/18 at 16:19:41

Quote:
I just swapped out my TAD KT66’s for the 6P3S’s and the latter seems a bit muddy on piano.

This caught my eye.  It's not what I experience with the 6P3Ss at all.  But they might be lusher (muddier?) than the KT66 which I don't care for as much.  To hazard a simile, would it be like, both are water but one is ice and the other liquid?  Since I live with cold winters I might prefer the liquid?   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #371 - 03/19/18 at 16:31:52

I’m going back to the KT66 ‘s tonight to validate my original observation. Some recordings sounded better on the 6P3S’s.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #372 - 03/19/18 at 16:33:57

I find with the output tubes in the Torii Mk III that the rest of the complement really influences the final output sound, and possibly that is similar with the ZMA. With the Torii Mk III I'm hearing more along the lines of what Archie is hearing, with my usual complement there is an appealing warmth to most recorded piano sound, as if the leading percussive edge were slightly smoothed over. But with other input tubes and/or regulator tubes I can find the same piano to have a tad brighter presentation and the piano attack more percussive.

The output tubes that really present the piano most realistically to me (and I have spent dozens of hours in piano practice rooms at UT Austin, I know a piano's sound) is the JJ 6CA7. Too bad those tubes are suspect in the dependability and reliability departments.

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #373 - 03/24/18 at 03:32:11

My current ZMA tube compliment favorite, to which I keep returning, is

Inputs: Telefunken 6922 CCa
Inverter: Telefunken E88CC
Power: TAD KT66

The Telefunken CCa’s really opened up the highs with nice clarity; a distinctive improvement over the Mullards. I hope they last me a long time. I like the TAD KT66’s over the TungSol because they seem to have a tad more extended bass and I love the midrange. I think I and done rolling for a while.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #374 - 03/28/18 at 15:39:10

........back from a week's vacation of sun & sand. ....was very much needed....I got off the frozen tundra for a bit!

Anyway, Norm, I do need to get the TAD KT66's from Ron/Cyro. I would be crazy not to try them. Glad you're digging the CCa Tele's to Tele E88CC's.....I love my Mullard's to the Tele E88CC's. Great, how we can voice Decware Amps! ...an understatement for sure..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #375 - 04/09/18 at 17:34:54

Norm, my first time trying:

our Mullard's as inputs
our Ediswan's as inverter's

........with/6P...E's!

NOS RCA 0A3's

..........ABSOLUTELY, loving this combination!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #376 - 04/09/18 at 21:37:38

As good as it is....the above combo.....

The Mull's as inputs to Tele E88CC's as inverter's, are impeccable!

I finally need to hit up B Jes.....for a couple pair ....hear if this can be beat.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #377 - 04/11/18 at 16:23:53

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #378 - 05/25/18 at 19:31:55

Let me tell you.  I'm in the smaller envelope camp for my output tubes. I dig the landscape of the KT88 and KT66's. However, the 6P's, I enjoy the tight bass and midrange to the highs a whole lot more! I also enjoy biasing them at 45 or 50mA....50 pulling on some more low end. The 6P's compress better too when putting them out of class A to AB1 (minor needle movement), with NO strident harshness or loss of composure/tonal balance. More headroom/understatement, than KT88's and KT66's.

I will certainly put some more hours on my Gold Lion Cyro KT88's (only 6 hours at a time...they run at 78mA).

But, I'm getting some Tung-Sol 5881 (for this stone of tone freak that I am), T-Sol 7581A (more headroom I love) & Tung-Sol 7027A's (for even more slam). I will spend the summer with these tubes and hear how it goes!

I must add my tube compliment. I tried the 6N23P's back in for inverter's. It became apparent that they can NOT DO what the Telefunken can do in the splitter slots! You want to hear what your 6P's can really do?! Get a pair of these in there (inverter's)!
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/telefunken-e88cc-...

Using:
Mullard E188CC/7308's for inputs NOS Platinum
Telefunken's (link) NOS Platinum inverter's
Reflector 6P's
0A3 RCA NOS.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #379 - 05/26/18 at 01:04:59

Stone, do you really have a pair of these at $500?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #380 - 05/26/18 at 01:36:09

300 on the Tele's.....and the price has slowly crept up the last three years. Glad I bought them when I did. They allow the input tube to dictate its true character through the incredible Telefunken and then, dictate the true character dynamic's of the output tubes.
I treated myself to these back in 2015 and they should be good for 8 to 10,000 hours. They are incredible tubes.

I have two pair of the Mullard's and two pair of the Ediswan's as well (see reply #365 above) = 800

1100 well spent.

500+ for a pair now? To crazy.

I would sell all five pair of these tubes mentioned if they were not truly impressive and transformative. I also own a couple pair of Tungsram's that are pretty cool too. I would dump these two pair as well~if they did not provide Sonic's better than most.

God bless those that can't hear the difference. Unfortunately, I can!  
Grin Grin

I can't afford a damn thing right now. Except, for the somewhat affordable T-Sol 7581A & Tung-Sol 7027A's.....to spend the summer with.

However, I have a couple more pair to get before they go the way of the Dodo Bird!

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/amperex-7308-vint...

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/philips-sq-e88cc-...

....if they are gone before I can get them? Oh well, I can find them used or switch to the SE84UFO3/25th Mono-blocks.....that will be stellar stock tubed (and I know, can and will drive my modified Adagio's). My ZMA? I'm to spoiled now...NOT to have all of the above tube compliment(s).   Cool  

I don't do boats, cabins, motorcycles, cars, jet ski's or Snowmobiles. I like good food & the best tubes in my Decware/Zen Mystery Amplifier!   Cheesy Cheesy

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #381 - 05/27/18 at 00:19:55

At that price I hope you at least got dinner and a back rub!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #382 - 05/27/18 at 04:36:15

Cheesy Wink

Nope, I'm hoping for that when I get the Amperex and Philips SQ.   Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #383 - 06/19/18 at 05:01:29

Ok, so the more music I push through the ZMA with these Phillips 7027a’s, the more I realize their capabilities.  When you roll a tube, there is a period of lull in which tube burn-in, and user familiarity needs to occur.  I feel they have burned in nicely as the sound is consistent and settled.  

The second facet of tube rolling is hearing what you need to hear to make a sound, educated decision.  Well, that process has been ongoing since I plugged these tubes in.  To much of my wallets dismay, I reached out to Derek at Watford Valves in England to inquire about their current inventory of these NOS, matched quads.  He indicated they were nearly sold out, but there was at least one matched quad I could order.  There may be a few others but I didnt ask.  I needed one set, and they could fulfill.  So, $400 later, I have my backup set of these tubes, which in my system and environment, cannot be beat.  

If you’ve got some extra coin, and own a ZMA, you may want to reach out to Watford.  I really enjoy my KT88’s - a lot!  But, in terms of midrange purity, non-fatiguing detailed highs, with a balance of output power, dynamics and tight bass, creating the most realistic preproduction, the 7027a’s are the reigning champs in my ZMA.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #384 - 06/28/18 at 21:47:51

I got a lightly used quad, surprisingly well matched, of 7027a from an estate sale. They even threw in 3 random spares!

I have them in my ZMA, but haven't really given them much time since I've been working a lot, or working on the yard/lawn.

How do you have yours biased, Jeff?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #385 - 06/29/18 at 06:37:09

When I first installed my Phillips 7027a's, I had them at 68ma.  Right now they are riding at 64ma.  No noticeable improvement at 68ma, so I'll let them sit here for a bit.  Things run a couple degrees cooler at 64 if nothing else.  

What brand of 7027a's did you pick up?

What I really like about these tubes is their ability to accommodate the significant improvements brought about by the power supply capacitor upgrade I performed.  Like BonnyA, I wired the Mundorf's originally as 2-pole and fairly recently had the wiring modified in the ZMA to accommodate the 4-pole wiring scheme these caps were designed for.  The 4-pole design intent is to improve filtering and eliminate modulation.  All I can say is the improvement was as subtle as stabbing my eyeball with a needle.  I really did not expect it to make that profound of an improvement.  Of course, I ditched the 47uf electrolytics at the same time for the TubeCaps so my gut feeling is these brought much of the same types of improvements a bypass network would bring.  The ESR/ESL is pretty phenomenal on those TubeCaps.  

With the wholesale improvement in sound quality these mods brought to my ZMA, these 7027a tubes are a match made in heaven - again for the way my amp is currently configured.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #386 - 07/03/18 at 22:30:15

Jeff, have you tried the Tung-Sol new production 7027A's.

How about the 5881 tube?

Is the 7581A, cool to use in our ZMA's?

All are found on this page:
https://www.thetubestore.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-tube-types

7027A here:
https://www.thetubestore.com/tung-sol-7027a

I'm considering the Preferred Series 6L6GC too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #387 - 07/04/18 at 00:09:02

Quote:
I'm considering the Preferred Series 6L6GC too.

I think I remember Lon posting that he had issues with the lifespan of the 6L6 tubes in his Torii III.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #388 - 07/04/18 at 00:47:23

That's true, in my case it was two different sets and types of TAD 6L6. They sounded quite good but I only got about six months out of a quad.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #389 - 07/04/18 at 02:36:36

Stone,
I have not tried the Tung-Sol. The 7027a line is so scarce, I did as much research as I could which led me to the NOS Phillips ECGs that I purchased.  

I will eventually need to explore other options as the tubes I purchased will be no more at some point. I bought a back up set, but you never know.

They are amazing. The data I found match what I am experiencing with my ZMA. So, for now, I will stay put.

The 5881 tube type is identical to our 6P’s. The 5881 is the American designation as opposed the the Russian designstion.

I am typing on my phone at the moment so not sure about the 7581a tube you asked about. Ill have to get back on that one.

And LR, I would look into the 7027a’s you have. Like any other tube type, the make/mode matters.  These NOS Phillips ECGs are doing it for me. But again, my amp is definitely left of center when compared to a stock ZMA which very well could make a profound difference when it comes to tube influence.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #390 - 07/04/18 at 14:01:37

I'm going to do the ZMA enhancement upgrade. Forgo, a new DAC & ZBIT for now.

I will establish what new production output tubes sound like before and then after the upgrade:

T-Sol 7027A's (order tomorrow)
6P's cryo (own)
KT66's (own)
The awesome Gold Lion KT88 quad cryogenic (own).
No 6L6's, with Lon's bad experience.

Good to know and I thought I read about the 5881 being the same as the 6P.

7581A....will be good to know-if you dig up any info on that one..... .

I read you on the extinction of Tubes! I have ofter mentioned: "They are going the way of the Dodo bird."
Why I own the premium: Mullard's, Ediswan's (extinct) & Telefunken input tubes....that take the 6P's & at the other end of the spectrum, the Gold Lion KT88's to another level.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #391 - 07/04/18 at 14:12:58

As mentioned above, no 6L6's, with Lon's bad experience....in an Decware Amp.

I will buy/try the 7027A's new production because my cabling and speaker's MATTER + input tubes w/Telefunken inverter's. The shlock some are running for the just aforementioned - offer's no credibility....so need to hear for myself.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #392 - 07/04/18 at 17:05:09

Jonsin' for the 7581A's from Cryoset. Steve does not mention them in the ZMA compatibility. But, cool how Steve wired for the 7027's.

I'm thinking the 7581A's should be cool too. Cryoset page says if 6L6 can run so can these. Just should be sure.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #393 - 07/04/18 at 17:12:02

Stone,
The 7581A's are very similar to 6L6(GC) tubes, but with a higher plate dissipation rating of 35W, as opposed to 30W.  This is similar to the rating of the 7027A's which can handle more current than the 6L6's.  The 7581A's are pinned the same as 6L6's, which is not the case with the 7027A tube type.  

They are essentially a souped up 6L6.  I am surprised they are not listed in the ZMA manual as a viable alternative.  At $30 a pop, definitely worth a try in my opinion.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #394 - 07/04/18 at 17:17:07

My thoughts exactly on all you said!

90 for the Cryo quad of 7581A's ....ordered/no brainier.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #395 - 07/04/18 at 17:24:46

Nice!  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them.  $90 for a quad?  Priced like the 6P's.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #396 - 07/04/18 at 17:41:06

98.98 w/USPS....I bet I get them on Saturday...if not Friday!  Will do Jeff. Ron, processes orders like lightening...they will go out tomorrow.

I will get the T-Sol 7027A's in August...this way, I'm not tempted to put them in... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #397 - 07/07/18 at 16:20:52

7581A's are out for delivery! I will get them in tomorrow (Sun) morning with a cup a Joe.

I need to peruse through this thread back to January, when JD sent me tubes and refresh my memory in the "bias under 50", tube talk too, Thread.

I'm not going back to low power/SE. My System is to good! I'm even questioning having the ZMA upgrade done?! ...but probably will.

All of this is still in play (below)....to establish some nice combinations with my input & inverter tubes...PRE & then POST ZMA enhancement!

I'm considering the KT88's from Psvane:
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/treasure-kt88-z-cb-cobalt-blue-bo....
these ship out of Canada....so can deal with them easier and customs vs. China......180 day warranty on these

....then we have the EL34 replica's....Jeff can comment on....
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-philips-holland-metal-base....

the RFT's in my sights...also on ebay....but no warranties
http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/product/rft-el34/

I have the mighty KT88 quad, from Cryoset....Cryo'd.
T-Sol 7027A's (order in August)
6P's cryo (own)
KT66's (own)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #398 - 07/07/18 at 16:47:53

OK Stone, I'm going to do you a solid.  The below links are to a ebay seller I bought a matched pair of NOS RFT/Siemens EL-34s from for $100 plus $6 shipping...it's a US seller. The write up states "Tested on a RoeTest professional computer testing system, the best tester available today. Matched using a Maxi Matcher 2."

I used the ones I bought for a short while before putting in some RCA 807s but they are nice unmarked tubes...the real deal. And the meters on my Rachael show them to be matched. I just bought a NOS quad for $200 plus $7 shipping...only one more quad left...You are welcome, Mark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183240557161

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SIEMENS-EL34-6CA7-Tubes-Valves-Dimple-Top-O-Getter-...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #399 - 07/07/18 at 22:52:56

Mark, thanks for the heads up! Those are a great buy. I am so tempted. My budget is only allowing the 7581A's this month and maybe those beauties in August or 7027A's.

My 7581A's have landed and in prestine condition. In tomorrow morning.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3