Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:25:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just added Mullard GZ34 to my Taboo III (Read 7211 times)
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Just added Mullard GZ34 to my Taboo III
10/18/14 at 01:41:13

Ever since getting my Taboo III, I've been restraining myself from getting a NOS Mullard GZ34, simply because I thought it was financially crazy nuts. But I had to know what it sounded like, so I caved a few days ago and ordered an NOS GZ34 Amperex Bugleboy made by Mullard from Mike at KCA NOS Valves. I also did it because my two 1951 RCA NOS 5Y3GT's were arcing in the Taboo III, as were my two cryo'd Valve Art 274B's. Not wanting to destroy the tubes or the amp, I decided it was a good time to try a GZ34 which can handle up to 60 microfarad caps. I considered a 5U4GB, but ruled it out for the time being.

I've attached a photo of the exact tube/box I purchased from Mike.

How does it sound? Well, without my CSP3, the Taboo III sounds temporarilly less good overall - there is a noticable loss of body/weight to the sound. I had to send my CSP3, Serial #001, back to Steve, for some reconstructive surgery.

With only about 3 hours listening time with the GZ34, my initial impression is that it is better than my NOS 5Y3GT and Philips 5R4GYS. The GZ34 puts back some of the sonic weight you get when using the CSP3. The GZ34 also seems to add more "punch" or life to the sound, no doubt due, in part, to the lower voltage drop compared to all other 5U4 type rectifiers. The highs (as high as I can hear these days - somewhere south of 15Khz) sound more powerful, cleaner and detailed and not harsh at all. The midrange is smooth and distinct. When it's present, I can hear more of the recording venue's volume in both width, depth and height. The bass is good through my Omega 3E's (49 - 20 kHz). When the CSP3 returns I'll reconnect my Definitive 4000 SuperCube powered sub for bass below 60 Hz). I find it interesting that a tube rectifier, which is not in the signal path, can have such an effect on the overall sound of an amplifier. All in all, so far, I'd say it's a sonic improvement, but I'm not sure it really worth $200.00. I'm considering ordering a Gold Lion GZ34 reissue and a NOS Mullard GZ32 (a lot less money) for comparison purposes.

NOS_Amperex_Bugle_Boy_by_Mullard_5AR4-GZ34.jpg

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Re: Just added Mullard GZ34 to my Taboo III
Reply #1 - 02/11/15 at 11:21:03

Hey Rizlaw,

Have you already tried out these tubes that you might want to use for comparison?  :)

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/15 at 04:09:03

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/28/15 at 06:09:54

Try a mullard gz30 - it is like a 5y3. Euphonic.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print