Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:32:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MkIV speaker recommendations (Read 1314 times)
sconie77
Verified Member

Torii MkIV speaker recommendations
10/13/14 at 19:54:34

After six months without speakers and a move to a larger listening room, I’m finally ready to start shopping again.  I’ve most recently owned Philharmonic Audio 2’s, which were fantastic, but didn’t provide the dynamics and emotional connection I’m looking for when paired with my current equipment.

I’m looking for dynamics, realism, emotion, a big sound stage and holographic imaging.  I want to be “floating” in the music per se.  My new room is an exposed basement room measuring 17’ x 23’ with open hallways on both ends and multiple windows and a sliding glass door.  I plan on adding room treatments soon after moving in.  

My listening preferences are all over the board but lean heavily towards classic rock, throwing in some jazz, pop, and solo guitar music along the way.

My chain consists of:  PC > Wyred DAC 2 (no upgrades yet) > Decware Torii MkIV w/EL34’s

I’ve always wanted to try the high sensitivity game, so I’ve been driving myself crazy trying to decide between the following:

Zu Omen Def
Zu Soul Superfly
GoldenEar Triton II
Tekton Pendragon
Spatial Hologram M2 Turbo’s
DIY Audio Nirvana Alnico 12’s
Or Decware DM 946, although there aren’t many reviews out, any input from Decfest goers?

I live in Southern WI, so my options for hearing these speakers are very limited.   I have demoed the Triton II’s and loved the disappearing act; those things imaged like crazy, I just want to make sure I’m not missing out with any of my other options and they are on the lower end of high sensitivity.

Has anyone heard these types of speakers that can make a comparison between pairs?  I’m open to any other recommendations as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bob

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MkIV speaker recommendations
Reply #1 - 10/14/14 at 00:36:00

Those are all good choices.  A few more I would consider that seem to be popular are:

1. Harbeth 30.1, SuperHL5 plus (or 40.1 ~ if you can swing 11K).
2. Decware DM 947 (with the extended bass cabinets).
3. Decware HR1 or ERRx.
4. Omega Super 7XRS or Super Alnico XRS, or if you like bass you can get the 7XRS with active subs.

I would cross out open baffles if you lean more towards Rock music with a lot of bass, or don't have the space for them to be out into the room at least 5 feet from the rear wall.  The Pendragon and Omen Defs should fill a really big space nicely.  I've heard the Zu Soul MK II (not the Superfly) and thought it was a great speaker.  I prefer coherent speakers such as the Coaxial Zu and Omega single driver offerings as they sound more natural to my ears, but that's not the case for everybody.  

Unfortunately since a majority of your list (and mine) are direct internet sales there are not a lot of places you can hear and demo these speakers.  I took a chance with Omega after speaking with the owner (Louis) extensively and it paid off for me as they've quickly become my favorite speakers that I've owned this far.  My listening preferences are Hard and Classic Rock (with their sub genres such as Punk. Rockabilly, etc.), with Jazz and Classical every once in a while.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/17/14 at 22:50:40

i have zu omens.  i've been pretty happy with them.  also, i live in WI if you are interested in hearing my pair.

IP Logged
ellensdad
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/29/14 at 00:19:37

I am driving Reference 3a DeCapo's in a 24' x 21' room with a MkIII (KT66). The De Capo's are 92db efficient with no crossover. My ear to tweeter distance is 8'. I can tell you I could not get away with less amp. I get to 85db or so before clipping starts.

IP Logged
bmoze
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/25/14 at 04:09:28

I have the Torii MkIV and the Triton IIs, and I think the Triton's sound really great.  I would describe their sound as spacious and resonant.  The deep bass is excellent and the highs are clear but not shrill.  Every speaker has it's weakness, and for the Triton's I think the mid bass could be a bit more articulate.  There are a lot of great speakers out there and I would love to hear Decware's someday.  I like to audition speakers in my home before I commit, and the Tritons were available locally, along with Focal, B&W and a few others, but there really isn't a lot of choice in Boise, ID.  Overall, though, I like the Tritons a lot with the MkIV, and after two years with them I'm still pretty satisfied. Hope that helps.

IP Logged
onethousandanswers
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/17/15 at 04:25:25

Any idea how the Torii might mate with an old set of Tannoys (Stirlings or Cheviots)? Right now I'm running them with an 18w EL84 set up and think they might benefit from a touch more power.

IP Logged
Dilettante
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/17/15 at 16:01:09

I have the Triton 1s with the OPPO 105.  I am currently driving them with the Emotiva Mono-blocks - but have ordered the MKIV.  I have read several people that have this combo and all seem to be very pleased!  Looking forward to it!!  Anyone have any tube rolling advice with this setup let me know - I am open to it.

IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/21/15 at 04:33:55

I am running the Tekton Pendragons. At first I didnt like the Bass. The Speakers sounded boomy. Steve suggested changing my tubes. I changed the Tubes and the Tekton Pendragons are sounding awesome with the Torri 4!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/22/15 at 23:16:36

I have heard the MG944s 94db (no longer made, but used pairs are available) and the DM947s 94db (DM945s with the cabinets) plus the new speakers Bob Zeigler is working on ~91/92db (I call them the El Caminos).

Best Rock speakers I have heard with the Torii are the MG944s.  The El Caminos are a close second with better bass - but they need to be played louder to get the soundstage I think you are after.  The best soundstage and imaging by far is the DM947s but it has less bass than the El Caminos.  I think these are Steve's current favs.

I don't know how far north you are in WI, but a trip to Decware would allow you to hear all these speakers plus others I have heard but not enough to comment on.  Might be worth the drive.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #9 - 01/24/15 at 00:59:19

Sconie,

My MK4 (16 Ohms ) with EL34 tubes pairs very well with the Zu Soul Superfly.

It is not lacking in any way.

It ticks all the boxes in your sonic checklist.

The plus point is that ZU Speakers have the same sexy curves ala a Porsche.

Cheers !

IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 02/02/15 at 20:29:58

I'm currently breaking in a pair of DM946 speakers, 60 hours or so on them and they are really starting to open up. Good bass for a stand mount, open and transparent top end and plenty of presence and detail through the mid. I'm driving them with a coincident dynamo and they have plenty of impact and great dynamics for only 8 watts. With 25 I imagine they would be monsters. Whether they would have enough bass for your room I couldn't say, my room being slightly smaller than yours. You really need to have a listen but I love them so far!

IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/09/15 at 05:45:55

I'm a little late to this post, but I'll throw in my two cents.  

I've traditionally been a Klipsch fan since that's how I got into hifi, but since June 15 I've been using Decware's DM 947.  I really can't say enough about these speakers, or the system in general.  They're slightly warm, dynamic, detailed, coherent, and very surprising given their size.  They don't need a subwoofer to sound excellent.  You know, they're just right.  

I didn't really set out to be a Decware 'fan-boy.' I started with the Torii and fell down the Decware rabbit hole from there.  I haven't been disappointed yet.

If you've got questions, please, feel free to PM me.

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print