Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:31:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1997 Nutcracker essay (Read 12249 times)
Phillip Griffith
Verified Member

1997 Nutcracker essay
09/28/14 at 20:38:51

I've read Steve's 1997 essay on the Nutcracker performance at the Peoria Civic Center Auditorium.  (I'd link to the essay, but the YaBB system won't let me do that until I've racked up five posts.)

What kind of local reaction has there been to this story?  Has the sound system changed in the years since this story was published?  I found a photo gallery from the Civic Center web site that shows how the theater must look today.  Again, I can't link to it directly, but a google search will find it.

Have there been much of a reaction from your friends and neighbors there in Peoria, or has the essay enjoyed an audience beyond your audiophile customers?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: 1997 Nutcracker essay
Reply #1 - 09/28/14 at 21:08:54

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/29/14 at 00:17:26

My impression is that Steve didn't like it!

I attended a concert there a few years ago and will never do that again.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/29/14 at 06:03:33

The reason I wrote that true story is because it is so typical of the kind of sound quality you can expect in public music events around here where I live.  And I know it's not JUST Peoria.  I can't count the number of times I've actually been offended by the rude and ultimately pathetic sound quality at events, large and small my entire life.  I always think the same thing.... what in the hell is wrong with these people?

In the last 20 years I've also wondered why it bothers me so much more than everyone else, or so it would seem.

Then it occurred to me that during my childhood I lived next to and for all practical purposes IN an acoustically wonderful space that I have no doubt formed a reference for good sound.  And you see that's the rub... I didn't know it was good sound, I thought it was how everything sounded.

This is a picture of the church my Dad preached in when I was a kid.  We lived in the house next door, approximately 10 feet away.  This picture was taken in around 1870 when the church was first completed. The interior was walnut.  If you look on the top of the bell tower, you can see the fence where lookouts would stand to watch for Indians.  Anyway, I had a love affair with this building, since I played in it every day as a child and knew all of it's secret passages and hidden rooms.  What could be cooler to a 9 year old than that?

The acoustics of this room came about by accident...

The building was complete in 1870.  In the 1890's, it became necessary to renovate the building to add "modern" conveniences such as a radiant heat (it had been heated with coal stoves) and electricity.  To accommodate the furnace, the floor of the sanctuary needed to be raised up.  It was decided at that point to re-orient the sanctuary layout from a prairie style sanctuary that faced east to a semi-circular amphitheater style facing south.  With headroom now available in the basement, a kitchen and usable space were also added.

In the early 1900's, beautiful Gothic stained glass windows (which are still present today) were added to the sanctuary and, in 1910; an addition was built onto the south face of the sanctuary.  The addition was built to accommodate a new pipe organ and choir loft.  The layout of the sanctuary as you see it today reflects these changes.  

Here is an actual photo of it taken in 1969 when I was just 8 years old.  This was my Leave it to Beaver life as a kid!

I dug around and found a few pictures of the sanctuary.  The organ came from Germany.  The pipes you see in the pictures are fake.  However, there is a two story, 19 x 29 room behind the pipes that contain the real pipes which are all wood, and a giant billows for creating the air pressure.  I'll never forget the day I discovered that... it's a whole other story.  

I did have the pleasure of playing the organ every day after school to an empty sanctuary and marveling at it's sound. Not only when I played it but during rehearsals and on Sunday mornings from the balcony where I sat by myself and listened.

Good memories.  I microphone was never used in any service, nor needed, and probably isn't today.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 09/29/14 at 15:46:00

What a great story!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Phillip Griffith
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/29/14 at 20:40:33

That is a great story.

Have you ever thought about donating your services?  You might end up having to donate some gear as well.

The company that operates the Civic Center would probably view you as a competitor.  Some of the less commercial performers that use the theater might be receptive.

The Peoria Ballet Company is gearing up for another run at the Nutcracker again this year.

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #6 - 09/29/14 at 23:21:59

I remember reading this "essay" a few years ago.  But now I understand why Decware gear sounds so RIGHT!!!  I've been perusing the perfect sound in my home(s) for more years than I care to admit, and it wasn't until I heard Steve's gear in my home that I realized I was on the right path to that perfection.  If you look at my signature, you will see I am heavily embedded with Decware gear, and I plan to "UPGRADE" as soon as I can.  Steve's ear has been "embedded" with the same qualities I am looking for in my system.  I can't wait to hear his OLT/SET's this coming weekend, and I welocme the discussions that I'm sure will ensue.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/30/14 at 00:26:43

thanks a lot for sharing

JD

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 10/14/14 at 02:55:31

I may as well finish the rest of the story...

As you can see from the photos farther up the page, the stained glass was well... righteous.  Imported it was... and by the 1960's I would say nearly priceless. There was one window that had to be repaired and it has always stood out like a sore thumb. I used to sit in church and wonder why someone would think it acceptable to repair such a work of art with clear glass. It was sad. I never did know what happened to it, I just assumed someone threw a brick through it.

I was around 9 years old. Discovering my mechanical side I had just finished taking my moms toaster apart and putting it back together again... which I don't mind saying was unbelievably hard.  Nevertheless I succeeded and got great confidence from it. So as you can imagine the day I picked the lock under the organ pipes in the choir loft, and discovered the hidden room with all the "real" pipes in it, I was a prime candidate to become an organ repair man.  

One of the things that always bothered me when I would play the organ is that I could never get the last set of foot keys to do anything. You could stand on them all day long, and silence. Obviously this wasn't right... even a 9 year old knows this.

So when I went into the room and found some of the large wood pipes were unhooked, and now being a highly qualified organ repair man having just fixed my moms toaster that I broke when taking it apart...

I quickly took the unhooked leather hoses with the brass fittings and re-attached them to the three largest wooden pipes.  Below is a picture to give you an idea of the size of these pipes...

These were driven by a pair of large canvas billows that were operated with an electric motor.   It was about 4:30 P.M. on a school day when I congratulated myself for being so brilliant cause I just knew this would fix those broken organ foot keys.

I ran back out into the sanctuary to test my handiwork. I climbed up on the organ and turned it on. I could hear the billows breathing even louder than in the past since I left the hidden pipe room door open. My heart started pounding and finally I stepped on the 3 up to now, silent foot keys.

I received enlightenment at that very moment as a bass note from hell swelled into my reality... I'll never forget it. The entire building seemed to shake. I was a hero!  

It didn't last long however.  Within what seemed like mere seconds, my dad came running into the sanctuary from the side door closest to the house and slid along the polished oak floors in his socks and underwear trying to make the corner similar to the way my cats slide around on the hardwood floors in our house.  He was headed over to the organ where his target sat in horror.  

I got the belt for that one and my only satisfaction was that they had to call an organ company to come out and unhook the pipes... which I naturally assumed was because I did such a good job putting them back together.

So, I learned about not asking and what real bass was all in one day.  I say real bass because to this day most subwoofers sound like a rowboat compared to the titanic.  Apparently, the organ's bass itself was responsible for breaking the priceless stained glass window I stared at every Sunday and well, you just gotta love it.

Between all the secrets rooms in that church, the bell tower, and my best friend's playground who's dad ran the largest mansion in town... the funeral home, lets just say I had an interesting childhood.  I enjoy looking back on it and I especially miss the sound in that church.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/14/14 at 03:07:47

Very interesting Steve. My Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather David Tannenberg was one of the continent's first old school organ builder.
http://www.davidtannenberg.com
My father's first book was a meticulously researched biography of him called "Organs for America." When I was a young lad we traveled all over discovering his remaining organs and I played a few and hand pumped the bellows on a few. Every day I look at one of the pipes mounted on my parents' living room wall. Fascinating stuff pipe organs!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 10/14/14 at 03:23:18

Lon, that's so cool!

Sadly as you know this is a thing of the past.... I mean think about it...  "we added an addition to the church so that we could have an organ". Hell, the addition, the imported organ from Germany, probably cost as much as the church did to originally build.  

Just this year I had an chat with a modern day organ guy who was developing samples for the digital organs of today. 100% fake, 100% of the time. When we die, that's it,  ignorance will win and no one will know what they're missing!

I envision bass from the future being a butt plug that works similar to an ear bud.

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/14/14 at 03:24:06

New generation today are used to MP3 sound. Have to accept that MP3 is a new standard for public. So that we are lucky persons who know Decware!

Thanks to Steve.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 10/14/14 at 10:45:26

Hah! That was a joke I didn't expect!

You're probably right, knowledge of even the experience, let alone the building and repair, will die out in time. But that's the way of the world, and other pleasures will be available we can't even imagine!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 10/14/14 at 17:18:59

Lucky indeed.

Thanks for sharing this Steve.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
RickVee
Verified Member

Would you care to
amplify that?

Reply #14 - 10/14/14 at 19:35:55

Thanks, Steve.  Great stories and some unfortunate truths.  Fortunately for me, my daughter/Nutcracker memories are much more pleasant.  We were living near San Francisco, and my daughter, Zoe, performed in the first act party scene in the SF Ballet production at the Opera House with full orchestra.  Great music, great acoustics, and fond memories.

When I was growing up in NH, we attended a church built in 1847 (a hundred years before I was built), now shuttered and closed due to changing demographics.  It, too, had marvelous stained glass windows, which now reside in a new church in Massachusetts.  There was a 19th century E. and G.G. Hook & Hastings pipe organ, which included 16 foot pipes.  It had a tracker mechanical action, so the more stops that were pulled out, adding pipes to the sound, the harder the action was to play.  A friend of mine, an organ student, got permission to play it, and I discovered that little old Mrs. Claire Sasserville, the Sunday organist, used only about ten percent of the instrument's capabilities (maybe she was afraid of blowing out the windows  ;)).  In any case, a sound less heard these days.

Off topic, I learned that my ZP3 will ship today.  It will replace a 15 yo Creek solid state phono pre.  When the new ZP3 is hooked up to my ZMA I am expecting musical nirvana!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print