Seasoned Member

Re: My SE34's
Reply #2 - 09/26/14 at 21:10:50

+1 those speakers are beautiful! Cool

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #3 - 09/27/14 at 01:30:51

Thanks, they are done in teak. I just replaced the drivers with Steve's new phase plug mod version, not really sure I like it as much as the old ones but I'm trying to let them settle for at least a month before I give up on them.

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 20:49:30

Nice set up! I am wondering if you started with one amp and added the second or just ordered two. I am about ready to order one Rachel and ZPE and still wondering about the 5/6 watts into 90dB speakers. My little 2watt Zen drives them ok, but doesn't totally rock out but sounds amazing. Why two with those speakers if you don't mind my asking? Thanks, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
miller88

Reply #5 - 09/29/14 at 18:09:01

I did start with only one and it was great, but I live in a big concrete loft with very high ceilings. It is a very bright room and hard to fill. I got the second one for that reason, while its not a huge volume difference it has much more punch or authority than just the one in my room. My boyfriend has just one and uses the HDT's in a more normal room setup. His sounds amazing and fills the whole room beautifully. I think two SE34's in most peoples situations is just indulgent. But it does look cool!!

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 09/30/14 at 03:07:34

Miller88- thanks for the insight. My room is normal so I would guess that one should do ok, but I can see changing speakers or using Rachael to drive the mid/twt/ribbons of my Sequerra's. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/30/14 at 10:17:36

Thats a really nice system miller88, apart from the speakers, which have a wow factor, it`s similar to mine. The amps are much bigger when you get close up. Actually I do feel a little self indulgent with 2 Rachaels but they did come in at under the price of theTorii which had a bit too much power than I needed. It`s great that the price structure seems to work that way. You must have a lot of power in reserve using the higher efficient HDT`s than my 89db stats. One Rachael just cant get them into gear and kick on. The pair of them is my `dream team`   Smiley (and I just love the `big boys toys` aspect of having leads everywhere and making it all look complicated )
Great listening and as well as your speakers I`m a little envious you`ll be visiting the mothership soon !

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/04/14 at 01:11:17

Very nice setup and very much like what I have been contemplating.
I'm sure this is a silly question but that never stopped me before  :-/
The Rachaels are integrated amps with a volume control and such if I am not completely off base.
I want to also put a pair, in mono mode, on my 90dB speakers.
How does the preamp section of the Rachael play into these when in mono setup? Any special connections required?
Or did you buy these without the volume control?
I also have separate powered subs that can take line inputs. Would the line out option for the Rachaels be a good choice to run these off?
Hopefully I didn't jack your thread too much  :)

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #9 - 10/04/14 at 21:11:32

They say integrated just because there is a volume control, they really are not a true integrated amp/there is no preamp function. If you order it without a volume control you would have to have a preamp in the system. If you want to drive a sub you would have to have a third se34 or use one for the speakers and the second for the sub.

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/05/14 at 03:15:38

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm sure before I purchase I will actually call in but one more question.
This paragraph in the ad:
"Outputs -
If your configuration has a volume control, then you have the option of adding variable line level outputs. These outputs can be used to driver a second amp (bi-amping) or a subwoofer(s). The signal coming from these outputs will match the signature of the amplifier. That means you could run this amp on mids and highs and a "slave" amp on the bass that takes on the signature of the tube amp for a more coherent sound."
Wouldn't that seem to say I could use this for line level input to subs?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/05/14 at 03:51:22

"Wouldn't that seem to say I could use this for line level input to subs?"

Yes

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #12 - 10/05/14 at 19:39:42

Thanks Lin:)

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #13 - 10/05/14 at 20:15:50

Miller88- Off the subject of this post, but with your set up how much heat are you getting off the amps and pre-amp in your rack shelves? I am looking at my options for the gear closet I use and I am wondering how much space I should allow above the Rachael and the ZP3? Thanks for your help, Chris.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/05/14 at 20:35:16

Chris,  I'd be careful about putting your tube gear in a closet.  In my 11 by 11 foot Listening Room with 8 foot ceilings, the temperature increases 7 or 8 degrees if I don't have the air conditioner on.  This comes in handy in the winter here in Dallas...not so much the other nine months of the year.

I have my gear all in the open...TT, Taboo MK III and CSP-3 on a coffee table in the middle of the room and the Torii MK IV on an end table directly behind the coffee table.  The ZP3 sits below the coffee table on a carpeted floor. None of this is ideal, I know. So if I get a rise of 7 or 8 degrees after 3 or 4 hours of listening in my closed room... I can only imagine how hot your closet would get.

In regards to the height...you should have a minimum of 3 inches of air space above your tallest tube for each component and it would be best to have back, front and sides open as Miller88 does.  These Amps do put off some serious heat.  Just my two cents...an opinion  only.  Mark.  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #15 - 10/06/14 at 01:31:27

Mark- Thanks for your insights. Good or bad, the closet is where the audio gear has gone for over a dozen years. Tube pre-amps, Hybrid power amp, Fisher 500C receiver and the closet does get warmer than the living room, but the door is cracked a few inches when the systems is on. I guess the height above the tallest tube is the guideline I am looking at. Thanks again, Chris.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/06/14 at 02:01:15

Chris,  you should check out how high the temp gets when you add your new tube gear.  When I noticed how the temperature increased dramatically during my listening sessions, I moved one of those inexpensive atomic clocks with a Temp function into the Listening Cave.  The longer the listening session the greater the increase.  Today I spent 2 1/2 hours and the Temp increased a little under 5 degrees. I'm sure Steve's gear can withstand high temps.  If I were you, I'd talk to him about it after you know what temps occur during your typical listening sessions. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/06/14 at 03:42:58

Maybe you can vent it out the back with a small fan.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 10/06/14 at 07:38:56

Tube gear is like running a bunch of 60 to 100 watt bulbs in an enclosed space. If they are in a closet, I would absolutely vent it out with a small fan, or at very least have an open air vent at the top and make sure it can draw cool air from below.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #19 - 10/06/14 at 12:51:50

All good points, something I will look at tonight when I get home. Again, Thanks,Chris.

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #20 - 10/06/14 at 20:32:43

Well I have good 4 maybe 5 inches above the amps. When I fist had this rack made I only had one se34 on the right side. The top is a 2" slab of white oak and within two weeks it had dried that end enough to shrink it noticeably. I put tin foil on the bottom of the slab and it solved the problem. I live in a loft so I don't notice a room temp issue but it does really make the bottom of the slab really warm if not protected. I don't have that issue with the ZP3 on the shelf below, it puts out much less heat. All that being said I also listen to and have my amps on much more than the average person probably. I rarely watch TV and listen at least 3, usually 5 hours a day. If I'm home they are making music. Two Rachael's in a closet would be pretty warm!

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/06/14 at 22:00:45

I remember putting tin foil on the underneath of rack shelves to keep them from getting too warm. Now everythings on a 4x2ft single platorm made from 4 thick hardwood ply bolted together. On a Summers evening  the room gets quite warm, on a cold day theres no need for the central heating to be on. 12x9ft room.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print