Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:40:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hifi noob looking at the Decware SE34-I (Read 30811 times)
toobnoob
Verified Member

Hifi noob looking at the Decware SE34-I
09/05/14 at 13:09:08

Hey everyone, Im new here and new to hifi. I recently just picked up a pro-ject debut carbon phono setup and phono solutions ps1 phono pre amp.

anyways, i have been in touch with someone on the local classifieds about the Decware SE34-I for $700 (canadian) for my first high end set up.

I might be picking it up this sunday. Is this a reasonable price? Is this a good amp for someone just getting into hifi?

I listen to mostly old and new rock, jazz, funk, and to my understanding this is a pretty versatile amp.

My next question is, what would be a good pair of speakers to get the best out of it? i was told to look at something with at least 93db sensitivity so im looking at the klipsch f-10's

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Hifi noob looking at the Decware SE34-I
Reply #1 - 09/05/14 at 13:57:13

Welcome!

Yes, I think that's a good price for that amp, and that amp will be a very good "first tube amp." It IS quite a versatile amp that will allow you to enjoy your music. Higher efficiency speakers are a good fit for this amp. I've not a lot of experience with high efficiency speakers, and the few Klipsch speakers I've heard. . . well, they were not for ME. So I'll let others offer more experienced help along the speaker line. But thanks for posting, I think you could build a nice system around your new turntable and phono preamp and the Integrated.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/14 at 14:03:12

thank you Smiley

yea, im skeptical about the klipsch. i spotted them at best buy for 199 a side.

is it possible to find a decent entry level high efficiency speaker for under 700 a pair?

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/05/14 at 14:38:52

Omega makes some High Efficiency speakers that would fit your price range.  I've got a couple of their models that I run with Decware amps and I'm very pleased with the combination.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 09/05/14 at 15:18:49

The SE34I is a very good piece,versatile, and well built, of course !
700 bucks is a good price, if in good shape. I'd recommend the "Hazen
Grid Mod" which makes a very good integrated even more transparent.
If you're into DIY, there's some killer speaker options for peanuts.
Happy Hunting !

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/05/14 at 19:46:00

So guys, i just got back from a couple hifi shops in the area looking for speakers and now im a little more confused.

I have to quote this one guy because im always skeptical of salesman, and would like to hear your thoughts.

Anyways he told me that this amp "was probably made in china, probably doesn't pass canadian electric standards and might set fire to my house". An occurrence my insurance company would not cover...

ok whatever. he then tries to sell me some teac digital solid state amp for $900. Looks cool, but it wasnt tube... I get back to my computer to find horrible 3 star reviews..

now im thinking this guy is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

I get that Decware is a small company and rivals to the multi thousand dollar manufacturers, so maybe he had no idea what he was talking about and was trying to make a quick buck since it was in my price range.

Anyways, now that i got that off my chest, im still wondering about the speakers. Another shop i went to checked the specs on the unit and said i could probably get way with a 89-90db speaker?

What are some of your thoughts on this?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/05/14 at 20:10:45

If I recall, this amp is about 6 watts. The more efficient speakers you have, the better. I would try to stick around 90db or better.

I'm a visual person so I describe it this way -

Let's assume 90db speakers. Remember, you have to double the wattage to add only 3db of sound.

1 watt  = 90db
2 watt  = 93db
4 watt  = 96db
4-6 watts is extra headroom

Now, assuming you have a smart phone, download a free sound meter app and fire it up. Take your current stereo or loud TV or whatever, and crank it up till your sound meter app hovers around that 96db and see if that's loud enough for you. It probably is fine unless you're throwing a party.

These apps arent super accurate, but we're just giving you a ballpark idea of what you'll be getting with a 90db setup and that amp.

It's a great amp by the way!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 09/05/14 at 20:15:09

I forgot to add - I've run into many shops where they badmouth stuff they don't carry. I had one tell me that Decware was "very pedestrian" "poorly designed", and damaged a set of tweeters on one of his demo speakers (this was a 2 watt Zen he was talking about).

Stick to your guns - the Decware stuff is good. My original Zen amp is 16 years old, and running great! In fact it's in my garage now as my "garage system", hooked up to some beater 93db speakers.  My big Zen Mystery Amp (aka Zen-zilla) is a beast that I will probably live with the rest of my life.

There is no Chinese junk here.  :)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/05/14 at 23:22:56

I run some 89db speakers with my SE34I and its OK, but I do find myself wanting more volume.  The Omegas recommended or some used Decware DM945s would probably be better.  I think the Omegas come up for sale more often that the Decware.

I think Tekton Lores or lower end Zu speakers might be worth looking for used as well.  Zu has these cubes that I've seen from time to time that are something like 98db and might be a good match.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 09/06/14 at 00:49:45

Those Zu cubes look pretty bad ass. I almost bought a pair with some finish issues I saw on Audiogon.

I still want to try some Zu on my system someday...but I'm afraid the pair I want are going to be about as much as my Mystery Amp.

Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #10 - 09/06/14 at 03:58:35

Hopefully with bulls#it like that from a "salesman" you ran like the wind in the other direction !
You'll be surprised at the range of speakers the SE34i will drive.
Don't go by numbers alone. We should buy with our ears, not our eyes.

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/06/14 at 14:14:00

toobnoob,

Always read the forums but hardly ever reply, yet I wanted to chime in.  I originally purchased the SE34-3, but soon returned it for the Torii MK3.  Sometimes I wish I kept it because the sound was fabulous and you can roll tubes.  I never thought tubes would make a difference, but they do.  Especially input tubes.  

Look at Zu Audio dirty weekend offer.  I have a pair of omen def and they sound great.  The dirty weekend offer is "your first date with Zu, the one you’ll never forget."  $999 and 60day return policy is great.  They'll give you the sound you want and 97dB is plenty for your system.

Good luck

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/06/14 at 16:21:52

Get the SE34I for $700. You can't go wrong. Is it the original metal dark brown hammertone finish chassis??? I have one that has been updated with the Decware "Hazen grid mod" and both sets of outputs running in "Zen" triode. it is essentially a 4 channel power amp.

As a "newbie" toobnoob you may not understand all I am saying however if what your looking to buy is a first generation SE34I as I've described then just get it. I run mine with the two power outputs per side strapped in parallel and everyone agrees it is THE MOST robust 7 watts single ended ever heard.

It is what is known as a "Rachel" originally Dennis Hazen at Decware made his SE34I as I describe above. Get it and send it to Decware and pay for them to make it into the same amp as mine or Dennis' original "Rachel".
Make sure the chassis is not damaged or any bad cosmetic blemishes.
If so it is still a good deal at $700. Offer less if you like. If it is the brown metal chassis.

If after all that you absolutely hate it I'll buy it from you.  ;) Smiley

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 09/06/14 at 16:32:30

To repeat if it is a dark brown metal chassis with the Decware name and logo screen printed in white on the front. That is a hand wired "GEM" from the humble first generation Decware company. Either Steve or Dennis likely built the amp by hand like they still do today. No China BS.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 09/06/14 at 18:33:18

Thanks everyone!

I found these zus omens for sale. At 12oms? Will those work?

IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 09/06/14 at 18:39:41

Chris, the amp looks like it's in a wooden case. Just tried to post a link but it won't let me for some reason. You should be able to find it if you check the canuck audio mart website and search in Ontario.

IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 09/06/14 at 18:43:44

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/06/14 at 19:42:31

Yes there is a wood sleeve that it is in but the amp is the right one. See the brown metal top and back? The case is just something it sits in. Non Decware custom wood outer case? Thats the reason you can't see the Decware lettering on the front the wood is hiding the front face of the amp.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 09/06/14 at 19:43:46

Looked again that is it. Run don't walk and pick this up. Wink

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 09/06/14 at 19:44:17

Might be non decware. I actually just got off the phone with the seller. He already had it sent out for the grid mod too.

Looks like I'll have this beaut tomorrow! Now for speakers Smiley

IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 09/06/14 at 19:45:51

As for the speakers. Is 12ohm too much for this amp?

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/06/14 at 19:50:28

Has the grid mod!!! Yep buy it and use it with the left and right double sets of binding post jumped in parallel. That means left red to left red left black to left black and use either red and black post to speaker. Duplicate on the right. Gutsy chest pounding 7 watts. If it does not do this on 91+db speakers something is wrong. I hope the output tubes are both wired in what is known as "Zen" triode.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 09/06/14 at 20:07:47

12 ohm speakers might enjoy strapping the double binding posts in series instead of parallel but try it first in parallel. also you can run the amp on one set of power tubes that would be either the inboard set or the outboard set. That corresponds to the inboard or outboard posts. There are asterisks screen printed on the chassis at the tube base and the speakers posts if you run it in this mode DO NOT leave the tubes in place for the unused set of posts on and running since you can kill the output transformers with no speaker load. Reason you want to maybe hear the amp with one set of tubes is that would be the purest signal you can hear from the amp yet 3.5 wpc.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 09/06/14 at 20:15:35

I really hope most of what you said makes more sense when I actually get to physically hold the unit lol. My ignorance is embarrassing. Is there any good place where I can find a crash course on tube amps lol?

I can't thank you enough for you help and patience Chris.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 09/06/14 at 21:24:38

Your very welcome. I just really like this particular amp a whole bunch.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #25 - 09/07/14 at 03:58:50

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/decwarese34i_e.html
I've owned my share of amps, tubed, ss, etc.etc. this one is a keeper!
Congrats on your purchase

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 09/07/14 at 12:06:59

Amazing, I literally didn't sleep last night cause I'm so excited. I also found some speakers locally and for a great price too so I should be up and running today.

The speakers are a pair of fonken  4" single drivers. They look like they might need a sub though.

Is there a way to connect a sub to this amp? I noticed that there weren't any rca outputs?

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #27 - 09/07/14 at 14:32:08

It has 5 way binding posts.
Your preferences, room &c will determine which speakers work best for you, dead easy to add a sub if req'd.

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/07/14 at 17:23:29

That amps always intrigued me. It`s like a pair of the newer SE34`s on one chassis. You can bridge 2 SE34`s as I have so I can see where Chris is coming from though like toobnoob I`d need a walkthrough.  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 09/08/14 at 01:24:46

Okay guys! I got the se34i with a pair of tannoy mercury towers rated at 91db.

Can someone explain to me (like I'm 5 years old ) how to bridge the outputs to get more power?

Edit : I must be 5 years old. I believe Chris explained it as simple as can be.

One question though, you say jumpers? Can I just use banana plugs?

I should also mention that the speakers are Bi wired  (4 speaker wire connections on the tannoy mercury v4, is Bi wired the correct term?)

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 09/08/14 at 03:23:08

OK so your looking at the back of the amp right?
You said like your 5   Grin
So on each side (thats left and right) of the back of the unit there are two pair of speaker posts got that? so the "outboard" set that is the pair that are closest to the sides of the amp have a red post on top and black post on the bottom yes? So the "inboard" sets of speaker posts are those that are next to and inward of the "outboard" sets those are vertically arranged having the black post on top and red post on the bottom. Unscrew the red and black binders all the way out so you can see the holes that run through the gold plated posts. See that? Cut four pieces of copper wire that has a covering on it such as electrical wire or quality speaker wire about 3-4 inches long. Strip off 1/2 inch of the insulation to expose both ends of each of the four pieces of wire. If you are using stranded wire hand twist the bare ends so the strands twist together. Stick one end of each of the four pieces into the outboard posts and tighten the binders (the red and black things) down on the 1/2 inch bare ends such that all four wires point outward sticking past the sides of the amp. Now as best you can bend the insulated portions of the wires around the outside of the posts such that you can put the remaining bare wire ends into the inboard speaker posts "black to black" and "red to red". Tighten inboard binding posts down on the bare wire ends and there you have "strapped" the two power tubes (the two big ones on each side) in parallel. at this point use banana plug equipped speaker wires by plugging each wire into the hole in the center of the binder red and black on each side (see the hole in the back of each post?). It does not matter which red or black post you use for the speaker since electrically they are strapped together.

I took my SE34I out this evening also. A picture would be easier but the above description is exactly how I did mine.

FYI for a series connection you just connect the top two posts together (thats black to red) and hook the speakers to the bottom or remaining two black and red posts. That is per side.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/08/14 at 03:41:34

FWIW. To hook up a sub to a Decware tube amp you want to use the unused red and black binding post holes and a separate pair of speaker wires to a sub that has speaker level binding posts as well. This way the subs sees exactly the signal that is going to the speakers and should integrate perfectly with the speakers. Obviously room placement and a 180 degree phase switch on the sub will be invaluable in tuning the sub as well as an appropriate setting on the frequency and volume of the sub. I usually never set a sub up for music since I have full range floor standing speakers but when I do usually the phase switch is set 180 degrees out of phase and I dial in the frequency 45 to 60 Hz depending what is needed and sounds best. Anytime I run a sub higher than that I can hear where it is and thats no good. It must "disappear" and not call attention to itself. Most consumer systems subs are run way into 100-200 Hz and that is just plain stupid. You can go as high as 80Hz but that is not really sub bass. Even 40 Hz is not sub bass but usually a small speaker system can use all the help it can get below 100Hz.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 09/08/14 at 03:44:42

Gotta love that you took the time to really spell it out for me haha. Thank you! I suppose this would be easier with banana connectors? My speakers came with some, and out of frustration I cut them off. They wouldn't seem to stay attached. So I'll he getting some nice quality cables tomorrow.

Also, what should I NOT DO. I know you mentioned taking tubes out,  but I'm thinking I'll just leave them in to get full power.

Thanks again Chris, I appreciate your guidance on this journey of mine Smiley

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/08/14 at 04:02:17

Think of it like this noob.
The SE34I is two amps on each side. When you run all four power tubes YOU HAVE TO strap the amp in parallel or series. If not then one pair of the power tubes will be running with nothing connected to them. That is not good. You can however run the outside "outboard" pair of power tubes alone which corresponds to the "outboard" or outer most speaker posts. Or you can run the inner set of tubes only. That would mean that one or the other set of posts (inboard or outboard) would not be used so accordingly before running the amp you would pull either the inner or outer power tubes out and use the posts that correspond to the tubes you decide to use. Why listen to the amp like this? This is the purest signal from one tube. Only lower power and dynamic headroom. I just like the weight and slam of the amp in parallel. The total sound in parallel is many times more than the sum of the parts in this configuration. I've often wondered how 3 tubes in parallel wired exactly alike would sound.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 09/08/14 at 04:21:43

Oh also it would never in my opinion be ok or more rightly it would be WRONG to short the black and red of any vertical "set" of posts. Steve Deckert claims Zen amps will drive a dead short like that but I see not one reason to torture the amp this way. At least I would not do it. If the amp is idle with no music signal on and speakers are unhooked momentarily while the amp is on I've seen people short the leads but it is unnecessary. You will notice that there are two switches on top of the amp which light up when depressed. This applies high voltage to the tubes it is a standby switch to turn off the tubes but leave the rear power switch on so the filaments keep glowing and the tubes kept warmed up. The amp will not produce sound if the standby switches are off. You can turn them off to swap speakers and turn them off if you walk away form the amp for a few hours and the tube filaments will remain hot. Then to listen again just turn on the switches.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 09/08/14 at 04:25:05

Marky I bet your strapped SE34I.3 set up as mono blocks has "BALLS"! yes?

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 09/08/14 at 11:47:59

Yikes. I hope I didn't damage anything. I had the inner set of binding posts hooked up to the speakers and hadn't pulled any tubes. I noted the amp made a brief shriek when I had it hooked up this way.
Only tried playing music for a few minutes like this though

IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 09/08/14 at 14:08:14

another question. (sorry guys) haha

so im looking at the SE34I.2 and the site is saying that they swapped out 2 el34's for 5u4 rectifier tubes? Was the only update the swap of the tubes or is something going on under the chasis to accommodate the updated tubes?

as im typing this, im realizing that maybe the 2 tubes have different pin connections...

man, i hate being a newbie  ::)

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 09/08/14 at 14:29:41

chris, they run at 50% volume and sometimes I wish the bass player would ease up on some recordings (not really, I love it). But thats all down to the signal in being what it is. They are a great window for whats being fed into them... SET all the way. I have cranked them up but in a dedicated medium sized room the headroom  is too much, like being at a gig front row where the sound is aimed at people 10yds away. ....and they`re driving 89db.
toobnoob will enjoy the sweet SET  and as you say he`s got a versatile amp there.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 09/08/14 at 15:09:45

OK,
just to confirm. My connections should look like this?

Untitled-1.jpg
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/08/14 at 15:30:29

noob, dont swap out  EL34`s for 5U4`s. 5U4`s are rectifiers, they turn AC volts to DC. Best wait for chris for the strapping.

IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 09/08/14 at 17:21:13

I just went ahead and strapped her up in parallel (found confirmation on the old amp forum section here)

DAMN! it does have a bit of kick to it. I out on some herbie Hancock via my smartphone and it sounded incredible(not ideal, a good dac is my next purchase) .. I'm really happy with the amp.

Now I just gotta figure out the grounding issue with my project turntable and ps1 phono stage. It hums and screeches and it's utterly disappointing.

I have a feeling it might be the Rca cables.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 09/08/14 at 17:44:48

Your diagram is correct for strapping in parallel noob.

So then just to understand. The amp you have is rectified by a set of bridged diodes. Those are solid small state devices and are inside the chassis.

The SE34I.2 opted to use only one set of power tubes and since the "octal" sockets for the inner power tubes are the same sockets as tube rectifiers of several types and the newer amp is running with tube rectification. So no it is not just a swapping of anything.

Noob we definitely got to get you fed with enough info to be "dangerous". Because some of the assumptions your are making could be really dangerous!!! Shocked A set of rectifiers in the power tube circuit. HMMM Lord only know the fireworks that could ensue from that mistake. Cry

So this "hums and screech" thing. That's not right. Unhook everything from the amp but the speakers and put the volume at 12o'clock turn on the amp and the standby switches. SO NOTHING on the inputs, speakers connected, posts strapped red to red black to black.
Any humming and screeching? Something is wrong. Next step is to remove the small middle tube and turn the amp on again. Did it remove the bad sound? If not then remove the left and right small tubes. Any change? If it still acts up then maybe a bad power tube (the EL34's) have extras swap them in one at a time and see what happens. If none of that works then you need to have Decware give it a check up.

Didn't the guy who sold it to you play it for you? Did he give you any tips on operation of any quirks he experienced with it? I turn mine on and it works perfect. So should yours. If it is a grounding issue with another piece of equipment that is another story. I hate searching for ground problems. You'll need the advice of someone with a little more patience and knowledge in that area.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 09/08/14 at 17:57:43

Thanks chris!

Yea, i would just like to know what not to do! i wasn't going to go ahead and hok these up, i was simply trying to differentiate the original model to the second. i don't want fireworks and i don't want a broken amp thats for sure :p

i sent an email to decware this morning hoping to get the manuals for the se43i and hopefully i wont do anything catastrophic in the mean time.

the hum/screeching is only from the turntable. I have unhooked everything. tried different inputs and it was still there. it's definitely not the amp though. I tried a different source (my phone with rca-minijack) and it was clear and as wonderful as day - considering the quality of the source (128kbps mp3) and the cheap cable.

The seller wasn't able to audition the amp for me unfortunately, but i assured him that i knew where he lived and that there would be hell to pay  ;D j/k

regardless, i do plan on sending the unit out to decware for inspection and warranty transfer in hopes of getting it back in time when i get possession of my new home Smiley

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/08/14 at 18:35:48

As for operation of the amp we've pretty much covered it in this thread. So just turn it on and enjoy. Get a cheap USB DAC and hook it to your computer. Or if not just the output of the computer to one of the four inputs on the amp. Not the highest of FI but hey you should be enjoying this thing. Ever heard of Spotify?

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
toobnoob
Verified Member

Reply #45 - 09/08/14 at 18:39:52

i have heard great things about spotify but unfortunately, its not available in canada. I use a service called rdio. at $10/month (a bit high, but what can you do) its like the netflix of music. It's decent but im thinking if i get a decent DAC and download FLACC or WAV ill be laughing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print