Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:40:23 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Soundstage Depth & Visual Sense (Read 59922 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Soundstage Depth & Visual Sense
Reply #50 - 09/12/14 at 12:41:54

I'll check.  I have been meaning to do that anyway.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #51 - 09/12/14 at 14:55:01

I want to do a test - I want to pull all the room treatments out of your listening room, just to see the horror on your face.   Tongue

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 09/12/14 at 15:03:24

Sounds cruel Raven.  What happens when you swap out the Chord with the DS?  Hopefully the magic is still there!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #53 - 09/12/14 at 15:16:23

We haven't had a chance to do that in his room yet. I'm betting with the DirectStreams pico-second accuracy, image/voice separation, and micro-detail...I have a feeling it's going to make for even sharper images and more clear sense of room and especially depth.

The Chord is a great DAC, a little more silky and forgiving (IMHO), and it's pretty good with the detail and all that, especially with the Matrix converter Pal is using...but the DS still trumps it on separation and detail.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 09/12/14 at 17:00:14

It is absolute horror without Room Treatments.

I moved to new digs back in May. I actually enjoyed setting up my System in my new Listening Room with naked walls. You start with nothing treated...an Clap Echo! Always wonderful....an play your System = mud.

Then, I start Treating...and dial it all in again. I like to remind people lurking, of Steve's Paper on Room Treatment and the plenty to find basic's out there online.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 09/12/14 at 18:24:31

Palomino said: "I have three versions.  Vinyl, a mid-80's version and a 24/96 HDtracks download.  I have never really warmed to the 24/96 version.  Its re-mastered and they took out the hiss, but I feel they took out some warmth or something.  I need to give it another shot.....

Its probably still one of my favorites."

Kind of Blue  really is a classic of what to me is a very special time in jazz...when the east coast guys were segueing into more personal expresion and exploration, but still very lyrical.

The Legacy Redbook version is too lean and edgy for me too...lacking warmth to fill it out. I had not listened to this for 6 months I guess, though I had listened to it on vinyl for years and then the CD I have now lots and lots of times over all those years. Listening now, it seems a decent test recording, this ambience things being interesting, and since Miles Davis' horn seems to tend to relatively lean and sharp anyway.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #56 - 09/12/14 at 19:25:04

I have two versions of Kind of Blue that I like.

One is the MasterSound 24k CD, which I was told is a good mix.

The other is the recent HDTracks 24/96 where they went back to the tree track tapes and all that.

I enjoy listening to both, but the 24/96 seems to have more ambient retrieval, plus the aforementioned lower tape hiss.

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 09/13/14 at 13:56:30

Well you got me at it, not that I wouldn`t have bought it....and it has B.Evans an` Trane, 2 artists, well 3 with Miles that I`m becoming comfortable with.. I got the Sony legacy 180gm today .

...oh and thanx to Lon another 2 bluenote Grant Greens
..still waiting on the 7 B.Evans lp`s from US..this week fingers crossed.
They soon mount up dont they Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 09/13/14 at 14:02:41

My favorite Kind of Blue on digital are Japanese in nature, the first DSD remastering put out on cd, and the newer Blu-Spec 2 cd using the same mastering put out last year. Both sound great, the Blu-Spec 2 has a certain ease to the sound that puts it ahead by a hair, a character that all the Blu-Spec 2 cds I have share.

I used to have the Japanese SACD but someone wanted my copy so badly for some reason they made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I parted with it. I haven't bothered to rebuy it as the Redbook versions sound so good.

I haven't bought it again on vinyl; I used to have the digitally remastered version that had the wrong speed on the first side and gave it away. I've decided that I'm going to buy vinyl of things I don't have for the most part, or that the digital versions don't sound as good as; I don't think Kind of Blue falls into the latter category.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 09/13/14 at 16:44:19

Marky,  you told us that you bought the 7 Evans LPs off ebay but you never said which ones.  I'm still waiting on the Analogue Productions box of his Riverside albums but have been buying a fair number of Verve and Fantasy Evans LPs but never 7 at a time...I must have missed that auction.  Do you have a link of the auction I could look at?  When I look for LPs I only search US listings because the postage is too much even from Canada.

Currently I'm listening to the CD Box Set of Evan's 1980 Live Village Vanguard recordings with his last Trio. They are very good but a bit more aggressive than his Riverside days.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 09/13/14 at 17:13:34

I`ll put them in `whats spinning ` Mark

Now sound depth and vision and room treatment. For those that dont have any, like I didn`t, there is a relatively cheap `quick fix` until you find something more aesthetic looking. Yes the wedge pattern foam panels. I put 30 up. 18x18in. 15 behind me, 5x3 cross hatched, and 4 strips of 3 along the side walls. 2 on top of a pair of same corner bass traps and one left over. Around $120 US. Well I cant complain, I thnk the rooms under control though I wont sit back on my laurels.
ps I glued them to 1/2 strips of wood and fixed them to the wall.

edit. I glued them to the strips then drilled into the wall after holding the strips up to the wall and making the marks where the low`v`s were (squared up with a level). Then put rawplugs in the holes and tapped small nails through the panels so they were near enough hidden. 2 per strip. Ok job.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 09/18/14 at 15:42:09

Dave, I finally got around to swapping back in my old DAC.  I don't have a good comparison because my old DAC did not like the Matrix USB to SPDIF converter.  Just loud squelching.

So I had to run the old dac off my transport which does not sound as good as the mini.  That said, I could hear at least some of the effect we have been talking about.  So I suspect room contributes, but perhaps the chord dac contributes more.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 09/19/14 at 01:13:10

Thanks for doing the experiment Pal.  

Can you go USB direct from the MacMini into your previous DAC?  Would that better than using the transport?  That is, using the MacMini as the source for both, but using the best input for each DAC (SPDIF-->Chord, USB-->Old Dac).  

What is your best guess in terms of percentage impact from room & DAC?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 09/19/14 at 03:27:16

The mini->USB->chord is far inferior to mini->usb->matrix->chord. The Transport is much closer.  Comparing transport/old DAC to mini/USB converter/ new DAC I'd estimate 30% room, 70% DAC.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print