Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:26:00 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 76896 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #350 - 09/04/17 at 18:14:56

"When I added the final component to the speakers (which I'll point out later after photos of the finished speakers surface in this thread), it only took 3 hours to initiate a patent application and it's the first time I've ever done that... but I've heard most of the Omni's at the audio shows, and am well aware of what has been done."

"So to take it all in, we have a speaker that could take a ZMA turned all the way up on disco music without distortion and completely "wreck the room", but yet is efficient enough to enjoy indefinitely with something as simple as the SE84UFO 2 watt amplifier."

......PLUS, the fine tuning/addition to your room treatment you mention.

YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #351 - 09/04/17 at 18:23:35

now i am wondering if you should get the HR-1s or wait for the Eggs Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #352 - 09/04/17 at 18:53:27

Quote:
now i am wondering if you should get the HR-1s or wait for the Eggs

I wondered the same thing.  I have the HR1s but my room is far from "ideal."  Didn't Steve say that the Eggs need a carefully treated and symmetrical room to bloom?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #353 - 09/05/17 at 03:24:55

The eggs are currently prototypes.  The first production unit could be as far as a year away assuming we choose to put it in production.  Room compatibility, cost to make, and how well people like them will all be determining factors, so a little soon to starting putting yourselves on the list ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #354 - 09/05/17 at 03:53:21

Steve, I LOVE that post about communing with the Gods to get the last piece of the puzzle on the Egg speaker!  Great stuff.

Brian

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #355 - 09/05/17 at 19:21:21

The Egg's and the 6C33C's, will be fun to follow the next 6 months to a year (and if you decide it's feasible, to bring to market the Egg's).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #356 - 03/17/18 at 02:45:41

I have split this thread into two topics, this one, and then one specifically for the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier.  Once I announced it in this thread, the entire thing has been about the new amp so I gave it it's own thread.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1510887200

I'll continue on with this thread as more developments come down the pike.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 03/31/18 at 02:56:15

Any update on the horns with 8" drivers? Will they be available in the near future?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #358 - 03/31/18 at 18:10:22

Yes, these will be called the DNA2. As soon as I get the first production pair in the listening room, we'll shoot pics and get them on the site. Price not to exceed 4K for the pair.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #359 - 03/31/18 at 18:38:32

Great news! Joe heard these and was knocked off his feet. I may even save up for a set of these. . . .

I'm eager to see photos.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #360 - 03/31/18 at 18:42:36

Will the DNA2s also be available as plans only?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
davisoly
Verified Member

Reply #361 - 04/07/18 at 04:22:25

I, too, would be interested in a set of plans for building the projected 8" driver horns.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #362 - 04/08/18 at 02:42:41

I have every intension on producing a turn key pair of DNA2's for $4K or less.  Hopefully have the first production pair late this Spring at which point I can put them on the site and start taking orders. There is a serious synergy with these speakers and the 2 watt Zen Triode amplifiers. It's ironic because the DNA2 has a pressure centric bass response which is to say the louder you play the speaker, the deeper and louder the low bass gets.  This creates a real sense of excitement. The 2 watt amp gets the speaker just to the leading edge of this effect which makes the effect a very satisfying tease if there is such a thing.

Regarding plans, we literally just scaled up the DNA horn to fit an 8 inch driver. The only modification was to increase the length of the port from the thickness of the panel, to a length of 2 inches. The end result was a cabinet 16D x 9W x 38H - approximately.  We sell the plans for the original DNA horn with the 5 inch driver.

If you're familiar with the bass performance of the DNA cabinet with a 5 inch driver you can only imagine what happens when double the size! On something like a TORII JR or larger, the speakers performance gets unreal. Sadly you'll never know they could crack the kitchen ceiling if you only hear them with the two watt amps, but ironically these speakers make the two watt amp sound better than anything else we've tried so far.  HDT, ZOB, NFX, DM947, DM945, BETSY all coming in a close second.  

The combination of the Zen Triode Amplifiers on the DNA2's is exactly enough when turned up to max without clipping that you would think you listening to a Zen Mystery Amp (ZMA) witch is 40 watts!  It just communicates that sense of weight and control of the big amps, and since that is actually the true sound of a Zen Triode it pleases me to finally have a speaker other than my corner horns that demonstrates what the amp can actually do.

There is no substitute for efficiency with extremely healthy bass response and a tight wet midrange. No subwoofer, the entire crossover is a single high quality poly film capacitor.  The imaging is just sick.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #363 - 04/08/18 at 04:16:39

The CSP3 Anniversary Mod.

Driven by the insane sound from the new soon-to-be released SE84UFO25 (25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier), we were able to duplicate the technology behind the SE84UFO25 in our most popular preamp, the CSP3.

The technology is two fold.  First, the entire high voltage supply that feeds all the tubs must come from the cathode of the voltage regulator tube, which is as close to a high voltage battery as you can get, but with the advantage of better constancy.  Second, the entire power supply filter design has to be updated and then bypassed with the same beeswax caps used for coupling.

Since the CSP3 is made up of six triodes, three per channel, the high voltage node that previously fed all six triodes was split into two nodes by installing the SG5B tubes plates together at the node and then sending the filtered high voltage to each channel from the respective cathodes of each regulator tube. Once there, we collect the clean power and store it in a cap that matches the speed and size of the coupling cap.  In this case that's a .47uf which proved to be ideal as a coupling cap to ensure the proper bandwidth, but too slow for a power supply bypass in an anniversary series, so the .47 beeswax bypass caps were themselves bypassed with .022 beeswax caps, each channel separately.

On the other side of the regulator tubes, the main supply caps must also be bypassed to be fast enough to supply the other bypass caps through the VR tube.

Also the headphone output caps had to be bypassed in order to let you hear everything in front of them so that when you use headphones you get a similar sound to the line outputs.

I have paired this with the SE84UFO25 which is like an electron microscope on the signal path, and it not only passed, but made the damn thing sound enough better that I now can't live without it.

Can you find the tubes in this beeswax forrest?

Parts and labor on this mod is 570.00.  It is of course assuming your CSP3 already has the Beeswax caps option.  If not, you will need four more .47 beeswax caps which adds another 350.00 to job. We also change the input tube from a 6N1P to a 6N5P although you can still run any of the compatible input tubes you have in the past.

The specs of the unit remain the same with 30 volts max output, and 0.7% distortion at full output.

Fun stuff!  Ear Candy that ruins you.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #364 - 04/08/18 at 04:43:01

Just took delivery of my CSP in January. I only use headphones. Would this
mod be worthwhile for me?

The big question is can I be without it while it's upgraded? Nuts!

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #365 - 04/08/18 at 04:48:41

BTW, I've been following the 25th thread. Sounds exciting.

Thanks, Steve, for turning me on to Boris Blank. Love it.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #366 - 04/08/18 at 05:03:47

If you only listen in headphones then the mod is probably even more beneficial since headphones themselves are magnifying glasses on the music.

Yes, Borris has an ear and records like I wish everyone would.  His stuff sounds gigantic, and rich and dense to the point of outdoing everyone else so you would think the recordings would be highly compressed.  They are not.  In fact he leaves about 6dB on average so he too has mastered density and in his world density multiples gain.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #367 - 04/08/18 at 08:02:18

Quote:
Question: would this mod be likely to be able to be adapted to a CSP2 with beeswax caps?

I should think so yes.  The internal layout is a little different so I'm not sure what if anything I will run into in the way of extra costs.

Steve

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #368 - 04/08/18 at 12:24:41

Dammit Steve!  Just when I thought it was safe to lurk about the forums again you come up with a 25th Anniversary modification for the CSP3. DAMMIT!

Well, I am boxing up my CSP3+ (w/ beeswax caps) today and plan to ship it tomorrow after talking with Sarah about the details. And just when I thought my wallet was safe, at least for a little while... thankfully this mod is within my budget.

Time to put my old trusty Eastern Electric preamp back into temporary service until the MASTER has his way with my CSP3. Just DAMMIT...   Grin

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #369 - 04/08/18 at 14:30:07

I feel your pain HK! Smiley

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #370 - 04/08/18 at 15:47:57

Lon,

How long did it take for your mono 25th anniversary mods? I need to prepare myself mentally for the wait.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #371 - 04/08/18 at 16:04:30

I ordered February 9 and will receive April 9. Not that bad at all!

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #372 - 04/08/18 at 17:34:01

ive been able to resist the urge for the SE84UFO25 25th... but this CSP3?  what are you trying to do to us????

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #373 - 04/08/18 at 17:56:33

Serendipitously, I sent my CSP3 in for service a week or two ago and it will be coming back soon, SUPERCHARGED!   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #374 - 04/08/18 at 18:50:43

Ha, well played!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #375 - 04/08/18 at 19:23:20

It's better to be lucky than smart!  I didn't understand everything Steve told me about the mod but he did say that it makes the CSP3 super fast -- which is an advantage for analogue.  In general, if Steve likes and recommends something, I don't ask too many questions.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #376 - 04/19/18 at 07:42:59

Several people have been asking about the DNA2 speakers that I've been using since October.  We are going to be manufacturing them, one pair at a time, and they look identical to the the smaller DNA horn.  These are an exactly scaled up version for an 8 inch driver.  After some testing the cabinet design offers tons of possibilities, but we chose the driver compliment used in our DM946/947 model.  The results have been dumfounding because the drivers sound nothing like they have in any other cabinet.  

Anyway, since tonight is my last night with a favorite amplifier, I thought I would demo the DNA2 horns with it on video so everyone can get a sense of what I'm hearing from these speakers...

Here is a link to the 13 minute video of the DNA2 horn speakers...

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/jnc8h53a7d#

Enjoy!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #377 - 04/19/18 at 14:10:37

Very nice Steve.  Hopefully I will get an invite to listen to the OTL again once it has reached the new owner.  I remember hearing it two years ago at the fest and it was indeed special.  DNA2s sound pretty sweet as well.  I have those Boris tracks so I can get a pretty good idea of how they sound in person.

Having built the DNA with the original tang band and knowing (and liking) the driver compliment of the DNA2's, I may build some.  I have to dig around to find the DNA plans and can scale them up.

One question though, how do you increase the length of the port to 2"?  Are you using an actual port tube or increasing the thickness of the top chamber panel (and reducing the size of the chamber)?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #378 - 04/19/18 at 16:59:41

I'll have to watch that video when I get home!

Tom, I'd love to see you build the DNA2 speakers!  Ping me if my tablesaw and I can help!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #379 - 04/19/18 at 17:00:59

With your saw it would be significantly easier, let me tell you.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #380 - 04/20/18 at 16:47:14

Quote:
Serendipitously, I sent my CSP3 in for service a week or two ago and it will be coming back soon, SUPERCHARGED!

I got my CSP3 with the Anniversary modification (CSP3A ?) back a couple days ago and I've been listening with the idea of reporting on the modification.  Unfortunately, Steve didn't pick the best guinea pig for his first CSP3 mod in that I don't do well with articulating what I hear.

I had the CSP3 out of my chain for a couple weeks or more and I was getting most of what I thought the CSP3 offered with just my ZROCK2.  It turns out that either I was mistaken or the CSP3A+ is in fact a big improvement.  As expected, I have to dial back the ZROCK considerably with the CSP3A back in (I have it before the ZROCK2) as I did with the CSP3.  What I seem to be hearing though is a more complex soundstage, such as I have in my environment.  I also seem to have an increase in detail.  As always, female vocals are especially sweet.  There may be a lot more going on but without the original CSP3 and the CSP3A+ side by side, I can't remember well enough to discuss it.

One coincidental (?) event was that after about 20 minutes with the CSP3A, I had a strong hum in my left channel.  I was eventually able to track it down to a bad 6N5P in the front position.  That was the same tube I had been running pre-modification so whether it failed at this particular time or if it had a fault that the CSP3A uncovered, I don't know.  One other artifact of the modification is that now I get popping on warm up and cooldown from my speakers.  It sounds like OA3 popping I sometimes get from my ZP3 or ZMA.  I'm assuming it's from the two hardwired OC2s Steve uses in the modification.

Anyway, I'm glad Steve did the modification and I think it was money well spent, especially considering he had the CSP3 for service anyway.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #381 - 04/20/18 at 18:02:27

Interesting Archie! Keep us posted as you play around with this. I'm using a CSP3 with the Jupiter caps in my second system right now to both feed a Torii Mk III and for heapdhones. . . . I don't plan on sending it back for mods but you never know. . . Wink

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #382 - 04/20/18 at 23:21:00

Lon, my guess is that I am getting a taste of what your mono blocks are giving you.  

I would suspect that the CSP3 modification effectiveness might play in with the system synergy but with the ZMA, I find things better with the CSP3 (and/or CSP3A) in front than without.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #383 - 04/21/18 at 00:24:41

I'm sure you're getting similar sound changes with the modded CSP3. I had a love/hate affair with the CSP2+ in use with the Torii Mk III . . . I felt that the ZBIT did more for my source than the CSP2+ and that the ZBIT and the CSP2+ was a bit too much. But the ZTPRE is different, I love what it brings even though I'm hard-pressed to describe what that is. . . It improves things but doesn't call attention to itself. (And with my two other sources besides the DSD DAC it significantly provides sonic improvement). I can imagine the mods both helping and also taking away the invisible nature of the ZTPRE I like so much. Luckily Steve hasn't mentioned any moved towards anniversary mods for the ZTPRE yet (and looking at the innards I'm not sure that there's room). Cheesy

With the Taboo Mk III and Mk IV and the 25th  Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks there's no doubt that a preamp improves things--these amps love to have a lot gain coming in, they take on a new full-bodied flavor.

Keep posting impressions, I know I'm not alone in wanting to hear more. . . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #384 - 04/21/18 at 01:07:48

Steve's amps seem to like higher voltage input for sure.  I don't know if the CSP3 puts a veil on things but what it does positively more than makes up for it in my case.  My guess is the modification reduces any negatives that the CSP3 might add.  Steve mentioned the total harmonic distortion at 30 volts is now much lower with the modifications.  I'm sure I'm well under 30 volts too.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #385 - 04/21/18 at 02:33:39

Thanks for your repot regarding the CSP3 A-Mod Archie.  Mines going in next week.  Hate being without it but I’ think I’ll find it interesting to see what I can do with the ZDSD gain stage + ZR-2 + UFO2.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #386 - 04/21/18 at 17:22:07

I'll be interested in how you like it with the ZDSD.  I know Stone thought the CSP3 was good between the ZDSD and ZMA but ultimately put a veil over things.  If you have even a sense of a veil (not saying you do) the mod might eliminate it.

I did okay with just the ZR2 so with your ZDSD and ZR2 you may not miss the CSP3 as much as I did.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #387 - 04/21/18 at 23:40:38

Sent my CSP3 preamp in for the 25th Anniversary modification a couple weeks ago, so I'm hoping maybe sometime next month for the return and burn in.

HK

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #388 - 04/22/18 at 01:57:37

I’ve noted the comments regarding the CSP3 putting a sort of “veil” over things.  I can’t say that in my system it does or that it doesn’t but I’ve done a fair bit of tube rolling and I’ve found that some tubes seem to put a “veil” over certain things, specifically details.  That’s why I ended up with the tube complement that I have in bothe my CSP3 and UFO2.  Like Lon I’ve found the tube rolling to be very educational.

The interesting thing is that when I installed the ZR2 it seemed to have lifted a veil.  That’s why I felt that it transformed the system. With the ZR2 the effect was that the system became a little “darker or blacker?”  with greater density but not “heavy”, is the only way I can put it.  Personally I do not care for systems that are “dark”.  But I liked what the ZR2 was doing and that slight “darkening” served to reveal details that prior to were “veiled” quite significantly.

One disc that I’m very familiar with is the Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions, recorded live in a church.  On cut two there is a low level accompaniment by a banjo, I believe.  Prior to the ZR2 I did not notice it to the degree that I could identify it as a banjo or something similar.  Prior to the ZR2 it was a brief sound from a stringed instrument.  With the ZR2 it was now obvious, melodic with a decay that even at low level could be clearly identified, - unveiled.  This effect happened with all discs and as for the improvement of the vocals the difference (unveiling) was such that it might as well been a different system.

This slightly “darker/blacker” (as I call it) presentation also gave the sound more of a 3D effect with more evident layering, more unveiling. So yes I am curious to see what the A-update in the CSP3 will do.  If it is a further unveiling I will be extremely pleased.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #389 - 04/22/18 at 18:49:17

JOMAN, I concur with pretty much all you said.  If my CSP3 had a veil, it wasn't much and seems to be lifted with the Anniversary mod.  I'm assuming the bump the ZR2 gives in the lower end is responsible in that those details just aren't audible without the ZR2.  While it's a fairly broad adjustment curve, it's not like a full spectrum equalizer.  I wonder what one of those would do for a Decware amp?  I too hear a darker presentation with the ZR2 but every time I go to bypass, I prefer what the ZR2 does.

Yesterday I was getting grindingly low bass out of my HR1s thanks to the ZR2.  The HR1s spec a very low end but with bass rolloff, I never really heard them until the ZR2 came home!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #390 - 04/25/18 at 00:00:15

Wow, my CSP3 25th Anniversary mods are done and the preamp is being packed up.  That was a fast turnaround by Steve and crew. Wink

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #391 - 04/25/18 at 00:37:50

IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #392 - 04/25/18 at 01:06:18

For me, the veil (and there does seem to be one), is a *good* thing. In my system that is....

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #393 - 04/28/18 at 18:44:54

I'm posting this in this thread since the idea of a CSP3 "veil" came up.  I'm not saying I hear one but I made a change in my component order that seems to have opened things up.  

In a ZROCK2 post, Stone talked about having issues with a ZR2 after his ZDSD at higher ZDSD gain settings.  I had my ZR2 after my CSP3 since I wanted to take advantage of the ZR2 for both components I have feeding my CSP3 (Phono and CDs).  I too struggled occasionally with overdriving my ZR2.  I decided to swap things around and feed my ZP3 into the ZR2 and then into my CSP3 (now with the Anniversary mod).  WOW!  It seemed that clarity jumped way up in the new configuration.  I also noticed that I can push my ZR2 setting much higher without getting the muddy bass I had with the ZR2 after the CSP3.  Additionally, in a couple post there was talk of a "dark" sound with the ZR2 that I too had.  I think the darkness has also lifted.

So, if any other ZR2/CSP3 users can chime in as to how they have things set up and what they've experience, I'd be very interested.  I'll listen more in this configuration but I don't see going back the other way, especially since I rarely listen to CDs and can swap cables if I do.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #394 - 04/28/18 at 19:18:49

Interesting results! I'm using the ZTPRE so positioning the ZROCK2 before the preamp doesn't really work for me as I'm running balanced sources. . . but yeah, I can see that positioning of the two gain stages could lead to interesting differences.

Have you listened to the CSP3 with headphones? I might send in one of my CSP2+ (which I assume, I'd have to check first, could get the 25th Anniversary mods) to be modded if there was an interesting improvement with headphone listening. . . would be interesting to see how that compared to the Taboo Mk IV as a headphone amp.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #395 - 04/28/18 at 19:29:04

I'm not a good judge with headphones as I generally don't use them and mine have very low impedance making them a poor match in general.

I think the differences between the CSP3 and CSP2+ are the headphone calibration pots and possibly, internal topology.  I bet they can me modified.

If I ran a higher voltage source into the CSP3 then ZR2 I might have had better luck.  One of my MC carts is relatively low output and I really need to crank up the CSP3's voltage.  At best, I only put 1 volt out of my ZP3 and maybe 2/3 volt at worst.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #396 - 04/28/18 at 19:34:33

Thanks. Yeah, I can feed about 4 volts from my DAC and even more from my tuner and Oppo UDP-205 and have gain adjustment on the ZTPRE and the ZBIT to play with. But running single-ended I would definitely try the ZROCK2 before the CSP2+. . . why not.

Yes, the differences between the two are slight enough that I am pretty sure that the mods would be applicable to the CSP2+ but I'd need to ask Steve. I have one that already has beeswax caps and one without.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #397 - 04/28/18 at 23:55:04

I think he needs to change any non-beeswax caps, which adds to the price.  So that may factor in, one way or the other.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #398 - 04/29/18 at 01:04:28

My 25th Anniversary modified CSP3 is back in my system.  First impression - Steve's mods have turned my Omega speakers into electrostats. Can you say fast?  I'll provide additional comments after +100 hours of burning in the new caps. Smiley

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #399 - 04/29/18 at 07:59:15

Archie wrote on 04/28/18 at 23:55:04:
I think he needs to change any non-beeswax caps, which adds to the price.  So that may factor in, one way or the other.

Yes, that's how I read it. In my case it's just a matter of deciding which to send in if and when. . . . Probably the one that does not yet have beeswax caps. Considerably more expense, but that gives me better sound for my second system should the modded CSP2+ take the place of the Taboo Mk IV in my main system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print