Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:34:21 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 77008 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
08/22/14 at 17:45:10

I know we have the Decware blog. However, I am wondering if their are any other developments Steve would care to share or give us a hint of?

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #1 - 08/27/14 at 17:31:50

I know what I would like next from Steve/Decware.
Larry's Wish List.

Tung-Sol KT150 dual mono/single chassis design ....RUN in TRIODE at 16 to 20 watts/channel (single tube per channel).

Class A ~ no negative feedback
Steve's custom Jupiter Caps...an Topology
6N23, 6N1P or 6922 pre tube
0A3 Tube Regulation with Power Supply Topology of ZMA...with Rectification as done in the ZMA too. ...no Chokes, if possible.

It would fit well into his line of Amps. Plus, like each one of his Amplifiers...it would be special...tackling the 16 to 20 watt/ch in Triode range.
It would express the dynamics of the KT150 thru 16+ watts of Triode operation, into Speakers I like of 91db.

I would buy it!

The KT150 can be used in single-ended, ultralinear and triode
designs. I want it in Triode!

....and done in a way that I know, Steve could only do it!

Of course, LR would get #0000, and I would get #0001  ::) ...hehehe.

So why this Amp? I love my CKC, SE84CS, CSP3 & ZMA. So, why not I say?!  Different flavors man....different flavors. I've come to favor my CSP3/ZMA combo. Maybe I would favor this new creation.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 08/27/14 at 19:11:58

Maybe this has been posted elsewhere on the Forum an I missed it. However, I'll post it here as well for more coverage.

http://jupitercondenser.com/

Steve' on it.  Cool.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 08/27/14 at 19:27:37

Stone, that KT150 thing...seriously, sometimes you and I are so much on the same wavelength!

Also, that Jupiter thing...nice! Dr Z and Bogner and Steve all on the same page! I love Dr Z's stuff, he really knows how to make a chimey guitar amp that cuts through the mix without biting. Great stuff!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 08/27/14 at 19:32:42

Cool LR.

Yeah, I just was thinking about something on those Caps. I go to the page an yeah, there is Steve. How cool.

Do you think we can get Steve to build us two of them?!    8-)

Ask politely maybe. I'm not above begging.  :D

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 08/27/14 at 19:48:47

If Steve was any other builder, they'd just churn them out if there was profit to be made. But Steve wouldn't even start it, let alone sell it, unless he could voice it appropriately. And that's where I believe Steve spends the majority of his time on a build, is voicing it.

Being able to do something, doesn't mean you should. Smiley

I've not heard any KT150 amp yet...well, maybe I did at Axpona, but I wouldn't be able to tell if I did or not. I have no idea what the character of a KT150 is, and if it would be suitable for a Super-Rachel type build. I think it's such a good idea, that if I knew enough about amp building, I'd seriously try to build it myself...but I'm more of a paint by numbers guy. I could clone an amp, but not design one.  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 08/27/14 at 20:31:44

Good question LR, is the KT150 suitable for a Super Rachel type build? If it is....I sure would like to hear Steve's voicing of it. I speculate their is some nice dynamics an musical detail to exploit out of this Tube in SE only of course. Now, whether it has all that lit from within triode goodness of SV83 Svetlana's....with more headroom is also a good question?

Or, can it land somewhere between my beloved SV83 Svetlana tube an the Rachel's EL34 run in Triode or better (with awesome headroom afforded by the 16 - 20 watts in triode)? Also, with that beautiful compression to clipping (in triode) you can't hear...until you really go there with to much volume! With this power of 16 to 20 watts in triode...you should maintain the glory of triode musicality/listening while getting loud with it...especially with 91db efficient Speakers like I prefer (with no real crazy compression of dynamics).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 08/27/14 at 21:44:02

I decided to sell my Gallo 3.1 Speakers. Even though they are crossed over at 500hrtz...they are not efficient enough for the jump factor dynamics I like an the scale I prefer an need. They are better suited for Solid State.

I love my Classic sounding an dynamic Polk SDA1 Speakers. I use them in Stereo....so one tweeter an driver below that tweeter, are not used on each Speaker.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Polk+SDA1&id=E3E676694FE118C17C9A3742E036994...

They are just under 90 pounds each on provided base stands. They have the sound of monitors but with full range sound (of course). I've had four pair of Speakers in this past year, including Zu's. The SDA1's win.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/27/14 at 22:23:42

Any Decware dual mono (or mono blocks) single ended triode @ 16 watts would be a dream amp for me.  My speakers at 95dB are efficient enough for the 2 watts Super Zen and the 6 watt Taboo (with a preamp) probably 95% of the time, however there are times that I just want to have a little more headroom when watching movies.  Those extra watts would come in handy as I really want to go to the Omega Alnico drivers which is going to drop my efficiency to 93dB.

While we're at it ... here is my dream Decware Preamp with the following:

1. 4 inputs (with the option for 2 balanced).
2. 4 Outputs (with the option of 2 balanced).
3. Remote for volume and input switching.
4. Volume and Input knobs on the front of the chassis.

Make these optional (a) simple phono stage, and (b) headphone amp (since Steve already has 2 great headphone amps I just don't see the need for another one as a standard feature.)

Put it into a standard audio/video width chassis, but keep it simple with a type writer finish (the same as the other amps) and perhaps an optional wooden case that it could be slid into to match the other Decware components (sort of like how the old mac preamps and tuners have the wooden cases).

Sort of like this:

This is actually my Decware dream system (Preamp with the options above and SET @ 16 watts) and I have always been thinking of this in Steve's lineup.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/28/14 at 01:58:13

IMHO, the ZMA sounds better than the SET and has more power.  If I could have a more powerful ZMA without losing any transparency, etc...I am game (e.g. 100 watts RMS....ZMA already does 100 watt peaks).  I always feel like I want more power.  Is it a disease?

Stone said...I decided to sell my Gallo 3.1 Speakers.

Stone...did you return the Sonus Faber speakers too?  If so, what's left in the stable?  Are the Polk's still your favorite with the ZMA and CKC?

I have been throughly enjoying the ZMA with my 944's.  There is something special about this combination, for me, in my room.  I am actually hesitant to change anything at the moment because it's sounding so good.

That said, the below would be on my short list to evaluate with the ZMA:

Acoustic Zen Adagios:  The Crescendos sounded amazing at Axpona, and in a crappy room.  The Adagios are the smaller brother, and after speaking with Robert, will sound similar to the Crescendos and furthermore would be the recommended option for a smaller room.   Interestingly, the configuration is very similar to the 944's (MTM, ribbon tweeter, transmission line), but with underhung drivers, a crossover, and slightly less efficiency.  The slightly lower efficiency does hold me back a little because I like the headroom 94 dB provides for normal listening, and I like to crank it every once in a while.  The tone/timbre of these speakers was spot on, and they are known for being tube friendly (low reactance?).  

Zu Audio Druids or Soul Supreme:  The Druids sounded very dynamic, had great clarity and tone (and were being driven by a Peachtree Integrated, which is obviously no ZMA).   The latest nano tech drivers and Radian tweeter seem to be something special.  I would argue nothing like the Unions(?) you had in for a demo.  If these speakers play well with the ZMA, one would get the added benefit of 101dB efficiency, which for me would be even better than 94dB.  Actually, I know the ZMA plays well with speakers w/o crossovers b/c my 944's are crossover less, aside from the capacitor on the ribbon tweeter.  101dB is really, really tempting.

Decware Monoliths:  Weren't these the fan favorites at Decfest with the ZMA...and Steve's favorite too?  Enough said.  94dB.

OK...so after writing all of that from a speaker standpoint (and trying to stay on point with this thread), I would like 101dB speakers from Decware...no crossover on midrange driver, underhung drivers, ribbon or Radian tweeter for highs/air, transmission line or maybe an active sub in each speaker for bass down to 15 Hz.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/28/14 at 06:46:00

If this is a thread for suggesting what we might like in the way of a next power amp, I think I might like single end pentode.  But instead of the Taboo Amp built on EL84 - Sv83, base it on one of the Kinkless Tetrodes; probably KT-77, but maybe KT-66 or 88, whichever sounds most like music when run in the SEP mode.  Use the Mystery amp ripple filter, but perhaps instead of a single 2200 micro farad cap, a battery of four 500s could parallel to minimise their resistances.  I don't know what the drive tube ought to be; something to exploit the lively exaggerated dynamics of single end pentode operation to help make the music come alive.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 08/28/14 at 15:16:58

Beowulf, yes, Steve making a single ended triode @ 16 watts/ch would be added to my Decware Stable in a heartbeat.

Dave, I did return the Sonus Faber's. I agree too, I can an do, live happily with my ZMA an it equals my SETS (CKC & SE84CS) with more power. But, like I said above...I would like to see where Steve could take a tube like the 120 or 150 in SET. It could be something really special coming from him.

My Fav Speakers are Polk SDA1 (in Stereo) with my Listening Room Rig. Very musical, deep, extended, powerful, clean & detailed an textured. Yet, also very nuanced at lower volumes too. I am content going into the fall an winter enjoying my three Systems... .

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers (in Stereo)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
All four units plugged into Adcom AC-Enhancer 515

Living Room System:
Sony XBR 55" 850B 4K TV (Passive 3D)
Panasonic Blu-Ray
Kimber Hero IC out of Blu-Ray
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon III w/Pro-ject Phono Box II
Audioquest Diamondback IC out of Phono Box
Dish Network DVR (if I can't be in the Listening Room...I'm playing Records or Serius Sat Radio via Dish is playing)
Kimber KCAG IC out of DVR
Rotel 1062 Preamplifier
Pangea AC-9SE Power Cord to Rotel 1062 Pre (nice P Cord for the Rotel)
Kimber Timbre IC out of Preamp to...
Emotiva XPA-2
Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Cord to XPA-2 (takes this 300 watt/ch beast of an Amp to a whole other positive level/or at least the first usable watts...I found this P Cord used for 65% off)!
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/11/115546.html
Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables to...
Vintage Polk SRS SDA 1.2 (using Stereo Dimensional Array=SDA)
HSU MID-BASS 12" with Bash Amp (behind Couch)

Sony as a CD Transport to Anedio D2 DAC/w/Remote Volume...directly run to XPA-2....when the Polk 1.2's need to be ROCKED!
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/sdasrs12tl
....which reminds me: I need to get XLR's to run out of the Anedio D2 to the XLR inputs of my XPA-2!

Bedroom System:
Pioneer as Transport
Illuminati D-60 Digital
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro 32 (20 bit Dither)
Prophecy Audio Cryo Silver i2s
Audio Alchemy 3.0 Dac with Remote Wand
Kimber Silver Streak IC RCA
Decware SE84CS or Super Zen CKC
Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk LS90 Speakers

Other than wanting a 16 watt SET from Steve, I'm a very happy camper.

Plus, always remember, Solid State is just to be tolerated for convenience. So, thus the reason why I won't spend more on SS/Emo an Rotel will do.....Decware does ruin you!
TUBES RULE (via Decware) ....for Music Listening Bliss... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 08/28/14 at 15:33:43

Quote:
Other than wanting a 16 watt SET from Steve, I'm a very happy camper.

Now that you've brought it up, I think we all want a 16 watt SET from Steve. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 08/28/14 at 22:37:01

Lonely Raven wrote on 08/28/14 at 15:33:43:
Now that you've brought it up, I think we all want a 16 watt SET from Steve. LOL

Nah, not me. I love the Torii Mk III, it's perfect for my needs.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 08/28/14 at 23:14:37

A few are out there...spinning them out of China. Hey, but checked out in the UK before offing to the Distributor? Steve would destroy them with his voicing and quality of build.  I want one from Decware.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 09/01/14 at 16:11:01

Cool, in the Decfest 2014 Thread, Steve mentions he is working on a new Preamp an Single Ended Triode. Awesome! Not available at the Fest, but coming in 2015. ....count me in.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 09/01/14 at 16:13:51

Maybe beowulf will get the preamp he wants them to offer! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 09/01/14 at 16:14:59

...that is what I'm thinking too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 09/01/14 at 21:53:56

EL156 is an interesting tube.  It is a true pentode, so it is like having a 50W EL34.  The discontinued Telefunken originals were 10 pin socket, but the Chinese modern production are octal.  
For comparison to the 50W plate dissipation, KT88 has 35W.  I think EL34 is 25W.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/01/14 at 23:56:17

@ Lon and Stone - It's been on my wish list for at least 4 years since I've first heard about Decware.  I think it's the only "real" hole in Steve's lineup ... yes there are other things that would be cool such as that 15 watt SET we've been talking about that could fit in pricewise between the Rachel and Torii MKIV, but I think that Preamp would be kickass!  

I can imagine a balanced Pre into a balanced, ZMA, SE84CKCS or 15 watt SET! Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 09/02/14 at 00:51:56

Well, we'll see.

Or as one of my favorite artists, Fats Waller, would say "One never knows, do one?"

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 09/02/14 at 14:17:18

Yeah Beowulf an Lon, I think I want the potential new Pre for my 2.1.1 channel TV, Phono an DVD/Blu-ray listening an viewing...via remote volume too.

Anyway, theCableCo is having free shipping for their loaner cable trials in the month of September. I have my new pair of Kimber KS1030 IC's .75 meter out for delivery today! This will complete my analog domain circuit of 1030 from QuteHD DAC to CSP3, then .5 meter of 1030 to ZMA, to KS3035 Speaker Cable. My bliss in the Listening Room! ....just something about Kimber's best IC solid core Silver that gets things so right with their 3035 Speaker Cable.

...an so good to audition/loan-in your System first....
http://www.thecableco.com/newsletter-detail.aspx?iid=5903

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 09/02/14 at 15:04:40

The Cable Company is a good company. I've not really been bowled over by the Kimber I've heard, at least not for the price, but I have completed my system with VooDoo Cable Ultralinear and Evolution interconnects that I just love, most from the Cable Company or their sister company, UsedCables.com. Good people!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/02/14 at 21:57:29

I mostly hear good things about the Cable Co. (thus the reason I tried them) but I just did not have a good experience with them.  Initially I did when I first bought, but when I expressed an interest in exchanging a power cord for another cord, I never heard back from them.  I tried multiple times.

I ended up buying used PS Audio instead.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 09/02/14 at 22:09:26

Sorry, and surprised to hear that as they have always been very responsive with me.

But hey, you ended up with a great cord!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 09/03/14 at 01:46:49

I'm waiting on Cable Co. to get back to me on a USB and XLR cable recommendations. We'll see what happens.

Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #26 - 09/13/14 at 02:57:31

I look forward to the new SET from Steve.

I can picture how glorius sounding one of those units would be with a pair of new production Takatsuki 300Bs in it.
Online reviews have placed it on par or better than the famous Western Electric 300Bs.

Cheers!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #27 - 09/14/14 at 15:23:00

At $800 a piece for Takatsuki's?
Nope, I'll stick with Steve's Pentode's or Tetrode's....RUN in Triode.

KT150:
"The manufacturers who are developing amplifiers to use this tube have reported that the Tung-Sol KT150 sounds great in all power amplifier configurations including single-ended, triode connected and ultra-linear".

I want a 16 to 20 watt per channel SET from Steve using KT66, KT88, Tung-Sol KT120 and/or Tung-Sol KT150.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers (in Stereo)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
All four units plugged into Adcom AC-Enhancer 515

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/15/14 at 12:18:00

LR...did you ever hear back from The Cable Co?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 09/15/14 at 15:57:57

No, and I meant to call them on Friday and talk to them about some cables...but other stuff came up that took my limited funds away. So I've put it on hold a bit.

I also want to buy a fuse to see if the P10 or ZMA has any improvement with a good fuse.

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #30 - 09/16/14 at 03:01:58

You got to admit, getting someone to pay $90 for something that you're supposed to blow up is pretty impressive. For the same money as a couple of audiophile fuses, you could get a fire extinguisher and hardwire your amp without a fuse. It's a pretty impressive difference compared to a stock fuse, I can tell ya, so it stands to reason if someone figured out a way to get somewhere in the middle of the two, it would be a success.  I wonder if the quantum chips or the blowmeum is the real secret?  

Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #31 - 09/16/14 at 03:03:37

As far as the single ended amp, I can tell you it will be with a superior tube to the 300B.  Superior because it's built better, sounds better, lasts longer, and costs a fraction as much.  The 6C33C is the tube that I am working with for the new single ended amp. I have decided on this tube after listening to it for three years behind the scenes.  It is my current favorite.

Here's a picture of the 6C33C in it's intended application:

Shown here as the guidance tube in a Russian Nuclear Intercontinental ballistic missile.  Also used in the Mig fighter jets as a guidance tube.

Just think... after world war III has launched the first magnet pulse bombs and the entire power grid collapses you'll be able to hook 10 car batteries up to your Decware and play it for over a year off the grid!

Not only that, but it will heat your room the entire time you use it, so nuclear winter will even be more tolerable than ever!

All good engineers work in worse case scenarios, it's part of good design.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #32 - 09/16/14 at 03:12:55

Here is what the 6C33 tubes look like in a more audiophile light...

I'm not sure how long they last yet... still trying to wear out my first set.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/16/14 at 03:30:51

You don't even have to plug 6C33 tubes in and they glow!  That's one impressive tube.  Can't wait to hear it.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 09/16/14 at 03:57:11

That is cool. I can see the conversation now, wow nice tube amp, what is that tube? Oh nothing special just one that is used in a Russian Nuclear Intercontinental ballistic missile.  :D
Can't wait to see this amp and hear it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #35 - 09/16/14 at 03:57:24

Steve, I'd like to get in line for the new amp *now*!

I friggen LOVE those tubes! Especially after hearing what they can do in the OTL amp.

I agree with you on fuses...but so many people swear by them, it makes me curious...and a curious Eric likes to experiment and listen.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 09/16/14 at 04:14:15

Damnit, I still can't embed videos.

http://youtu.be/wS7dMd74YHI

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 09/16/14 at 04:54:35

LR, now wait a damn minute!

You got the #0000 last time. I want it this time....an you take the #0001!  Heheehehe  ;D.

Steve, sweet Tube. I can't wait to hear your design an voicing of it.

As Steve mentioned...missile's an aircraft. I got a kick out of the copy at The Tube Store about the Tube.
"So your MiG fighter jet's radar scope just isn't picking up bogeys like it used to? Time to re-tube the 6C33! This Russian Military 6C33C-B also works great in home stereos".
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Big-Power-Tubes/6C33C-B

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #38 - 09/16/14 at 07:19:40

With those Russian tubes in place, just for laughs, I can picture myself using the same American Bendix 6106 rectifier as used in American Nike ICBMs.

Such an explosive tube combo would be quite a good conversation starter at parties! Wink

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 09/16/14 at 08:14:13

Steve Deckert wrote on 09/16/14 at 03:03:37:
As far as the single ended amp, I can tell you it will be with a superior tube to the 300B.  Superior because it's built better, sounds better, lasts longer, and costs a fraction as much.  The 6C33C is the tube that I am working with for the new single ended amp. I have decided on this tube after listening to it for three years behind the scenes.  It is my current favorite.

Hi Steve, sounds freakin' awesome!  Is it too early to tell how many watts and where do you see this fitting into your price structure?  I was hoping somewhere between the cost of a Zen Select and Torii MKIV???

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #40 - 09/16/14 at 13:54:06

I've seen single ended amps using this tube say between 8watts and 20 watts. I'm not sure why the wide variable - I never really looked into them, and I've not built any amps in many years. I really should find a tutor to teach me some basic amp building and set me loose with my own ideas.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 09/16/14 at 13:57:20

After seeing Steve's post about the new...to me...Russian tube, I did a search and found people already using it in SETs.  One was in Mono Block form with 20 watts per channel...others were rated at 18 wpc.  Seems that this would be competing with the Torri MK IV at about 25 wpc.  It'd be interesting to hear Steve speak to how they compare sonically and otherwise with the Torii and the current Decware version SETs.  Mark.

http://www.tubeguru.eu/poweramps/6c33c-se-mono/  this one's a beauty!

PS...I now see LR gave you the youtube clip with this builders work. The music's nice too.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #42 - 09/16/14 at 14:24:38

Yeah, his parts and build quality look like they are built for durability - I wonder how much goes into voicing them.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #43 - 09/16/14 at 16:19:21

Great Tube mark58. As witnessed by the fact that BAT http://balanced.com/products
has been using it for years....PP run.  

I considered buying the VK-55SE when considering the ZMA. I would have started off running it with my Balanced Outputs from my Anedio D2. I made the right choice buying the CSP3w/Jupiter Caps an the ZMA.

I look forward to Steve's further words an development in due time. SET from him with 6C33C is going to be Special.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 09/16/14 at 16:29:45

My official opinion. MEH. Smiley I love my Torii Mk IIIs, I feel as if I'm good for life, or at least another decade or more. Just astonishingly great sounding and flexible amps. Bass controls! All those tubes to roll! Heaven!

If I were to move to something else I think it woud be the DNA horns with built in amps as my second system hearbeat. But I'm far from close to considering something like that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #45 - 09/16/14 at 16:30:28

http://balanced.com/p-vk-55se

Wow, what a beast! I don't see any pricing on the page - is it comparable to a ZMA? Or a ZMA plus CSP3?

I'm biased against circuit boards, but it looks like a solid machine.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #46 - 09/16/14 at 16:37:21

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #47 - 09/16/14 at 16:58:32

Ditto, I'm not a circuit board fan either. Or, auto-bias via circuit board fan.

I had a PrimaLuna Dialogue 5 in-house.

"You Senator (PrimaLuna), are NO John F. Kennedy (ZMA)".  

Granted BAT probably does it better. But, the Transparency/Musicality of the CSP3 an ZMA combo.......please..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #48 - 09/16/14 at 17:17:16

Quote:
Granted BAT probably does it better. But, the Transparency/Musicality of the CSP3 an ZMA combo.......please..... .

Yeah, that's why I've really not looked at anything else lately. I just love to see what other shops are doing for ideas...or at least to understand their design concepts. Why they chose the path they did - or are they just cribbing off others work, etc.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 09/16/14 at 23:02:22

LR,  here's the Stereophile review for the BAT Amp...a Monster at 55wpc. He likes it! Mark.

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/balanced_audio_technology_vk-55se_power...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print