Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 07:47:04 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 74458 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #250 - 07/12/16 at 04:33:26

I guess it's a good time to post another update... and again let me qualify what follows by stating that this is not a race to release a new product design but rather a real time view of what goes into a Decware amplifier before it's even considered for market.  As with all of our amps, they start out life as something I want to build and do build for myself. If you're new to the forums and this kind of thing sounds interesting, a similar thread can be found on the Zen Mystery Amp which gives a real time look into the process from concept to completion.

So, on with the update:

Have been listening to the Mono's against the other amps non-stop since my last post in an effort to gain perspective on the signature and gain confidence in the functionality and reliability.  All is going well.

I have done more design work on the chassis which can be seen in the pics below:

As you can see it is morphing into the same steel chassis design that I used in the ZTPRE.  A rather huge upgrade visually and it solved my cooling problem allowing the amp to remain fan-less.

What you're looking at from front to back is:  Analog bias meter, nixi-tube bias meter, EF86 triode wired, 6P15P aka SV83, and then the 6C33C inside the glass chimney followed by the output transformer.  I'd like to complete the chassis design this winter.  

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #251 - 07/13/16 at 20:05:16

Hey Steve,

I'm not seeing volume control on the new monoblocks. Is that part of the design, or are you still working on that?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 07/13/16 at 21:55:16

Thanks for sharing Steve!  I really dig the look and the match with the ZTPRE chassis is spot on and sexy! Cool  

Couple questions ...

1. Are these going to have UFO's or custom wound transformers (like the ZMA)?

2. Are these going to have volume controls or additional inputs or are these strictly amps at this point?

3. How much heat are we talking about?  I live in San Diego and have to sleep with my windows open even in winter time, I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to be running my AC year around ... Wink

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #253 - 04/08/17 at 15:59:42

Any update on the status release of the 6C33C blocks?

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 04/08/17 at 20:50:06

I believe these were shown at last year's Decfest though I don't think they were the finished product.  I really like where Steve has gone with the chassis design, at least on paper and IMO it's by far the best looking amp chassis he has designed and a perfect match to the already awesome looking ZTPRE.  

LOL ... I know it's what on the inside that counts, but Steve really stepped it up a lot of notches with the design of the ZTPRE and IMO it's the nicest looking piece of Decware kit that has ever come out IMO.  I'd like to see all his amps use that type of chassis.  

Other than the price Cheesy, the only thing that scares me a little about these is the heat that big tube puts out.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #255 - 04/09/17 at 01:05:55

I agree the ZTPRE is a nice design, but I love the classical look of the other amps with walnut bases. Funny the personal aesthetics thing...but to me the ZTPRE is not up to the old school beauties.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #256 - 04/09/17 at 01:43:48

I agree Will.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #257 - 04/09/17 at 02:40:01

Agree that its just an aesthetics thing ... or not actually as the ZTPRE was designed that way for a reason and in my understanding so are the 6C33C mono chassis.  

What I also like about the new ZTPRE design is that it is pretty exclusive, I've never seen another chassis quiet like it with the "W" indentations, etc. and (IMO course) it just screams custom made and high-end and it reminds me of classic hi-fi chassis like something McIntosh would have came out with in the 60's.  Whereas (again IMO) the other Decware chassis looks similar to brands such as Bottlehead and a handful of other designer's stuff that's basically a wooden box with a metal top and holes cut into it.  

Either way I have 2 Decware amps with the classic wooden chassis and I still love 'em regardless.  But I do think the new chassis are a step up aesthetically speaking and probably better in heat dispersion performance.

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #258 - 04/09/17 at 03:01:42

I have a Rachel on order and thinking about switching to current 2x  mono blocks se84ufo3, or serial bridge 2x se84ufo2, or maybe just buy 1x se84ufo2 and wait for these new monos as 1 won't be a big financial drain if I want replace it.  I have druids 16 ohm 101 db speakers, a zp3 stage and sut also on order from decware.  

Any thoughts or advice?

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #259 - 04/09/17 at 12:48:28

Martin, those speakers are screaming for a Torii MK III or IV with 16 ohm taps....trust me.  But even a pair of the 2.7 WPC Monoblocks would get it done.  I'm not sure what the new transformers on the monos are set for though...better check.  

I use a set of 99dB, 8 ohm Zu Audio "Soul" Speakers with my 2.3 WPC 2008 version of the Monoblocks and they are a great match. I also have a Torii MK IV paired with HR-1s but as I recall, the "Souls" work well too.  There have been several people here that own 16 ohm Zu's and love them paired with a Torii.  My two cents, Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #260 - 04/10/17 at 05:21:13

Hi everyone!  

I saw this thread come up to the surface and took it as a reminder to update you on the progress of some of the back burner items.

The 6C33C amps are after a couple years (at least that seams about right) are still extraordinary amps to listen to. I'm listening to them now in fact as I write this. They are still using a pair of tubes from early last year and showing no signs of degradation. Although I will have to roll  a handful of new 6C33's into the amps to know for sure. I'm noticing that things are getting warmer and smoother which is usually a sign of a well worn tube. Nevertheless, if there is any issues I'm not hearing them beyond the amps amazing fullness which it has always had.  Although it is only about 15 watts the way I prefer to run it, it still competes with the ZMA in apparent power somehow...  

Interesting discussion about the chassis... I agree with all of it. Wink However, I am going to try to create a competing amp just as I did 25 years ago when first developing the Zen. Get the amp as good as you can, which takes about a year, and then design a new one to try to improve upon it.

I suspect that transformers more along the lines of our UFO's could do it... I have a pair of prototype 600 ohm transformers here that will hopefully impress.  I also have ideas about a different coupling caps that would better compliment the 6C33 output stage.  

Last week I started tossing around a flat plate chassis design like our amplifiers in a sincere hope to keep the price down to where someone who was dead serious about a holy grail amp could somehow make it happen.  In a ZTPRE chassis the sticker shock will stunt sales which somewhat if not entirely defeats the whole reason for making it in the first place...

So in summary there has been continual rotation with all of our other amps and serious listening sessions on a regular basis since my last post and still no urge to change anything, just a mild curiosity to see if more resolution is possible without ruining it.

The Taboo Mk4 is now on the web site and selling well.  I figured out how to make Lucid mode variable which makes it possible to tune it for any impedance headphone. I'm excited about that because Lucid mode on better recordings can be nothing short of mind blowing.

The ZROCK has so far been a hit. Soon I will be changing to a higher voltage power supply for the ZBOX, ZSTAGE and now ZROCK products.  At that time each will be re-voiced and the ZROCK I will experiment with seeing if I can make the effect variable without ruining the signature or phase angles... which are of course heavily interlinked.

I just made a ZSB (Zen Switch Box) variation with a remote control Alps volume control that is working rather well...  

Have prototyped a simple Tube Tester that will work with the tubes used in Decware amps, and it is coming along nicely.

Will be doing a 25th anniversary edition Zen Amp at some future point based on the prototype I made for Lonely Raven. The only thing I'm still working on is the actual look and style of the chassis.  

I listen to the ZTPRE every day in both balanced and unbalanced modes and haven't even rolled tubes in it nor had the urge and that's after daily listening that probably spans a year now.  Of course when I do I might kick myself for not doing it sooner but that's not the point... when a person tube rolls to improve things it's because he or she is not fully satisfied with the sound.  

I had an usually interesting experience the other night as I explored new music and six pack of IPA and the new ZMF headphones. I used DEEZER.com which is 1144 bps CD quality for 10 bucks a month. I targeted the best ROCK hits from 2016 and actually found 20 that were really good. Interestingly, about half way through the 6 pack when I got the balls to turn things up to what would probably be a live concert level (117~120dB) I almost crapped my pants. The experience made me start to contemplate the Millennial generation's music as being mixed for headphones/earbuds/high SPL because that is the way it sounded best.  I tried to recreate the experience on a variety of our loudspeakers and with more than one amp and couldn't do it.

I am not fully convinced that a headphone rig of this quality wouldn't make more sense than a second room system.  Think about it.

WWW   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #261 - 04/10/17 at 12:17:16

Would love to hear more about the tube tester, I've been in the market for a while and they are absurdly expensive, there is a definite niche in the marketplace.

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #262 - 04/10/17 at 16:59:54

I have not forgot about the 6C33C mono's, that is for sure.

However, budget wise:

1) The ZROCK I'll put on order in September. Great to read Steve, about even further improvements to a higher voltage power supply and possibly making the effect variable without ruining the signature or phase angles.

2) 25th anniversary edition of the Zen Amp. Certainly got my attention when LR/Eric posted your and his impressions of upgrading his C to UFO and other DISCOVERY tweaks. New chassis to commemorate the 25th would be cool too.
(I owned and used damn near every day, for 12.8 years.....my SE84CS (ONLY replaced by my ZMA). Why I keep my original signature from May of 2001 below ~ homage).
.....so a done deal on this purchase....when you release it 2020/21.
.....your pentode in triode again.....yes. + ZMA

PS - totally digging the Silver PILLS in my downstairs Rig.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #263 - 04/10/17 at 20:09:30

Yes, I second the tube tester for tube types used in Decware amps and their variants. Something with a digital read out that is in units commonly used. Ease of use is paramount for a non-techy like me.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #264 - 04/12/17 at 01:51:43

Sorry, I accidentally deleted a couple posts moving the messages about the zen motor to a new thread... : (

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #265 - 04/12/17 at 01:53:51

Quote:
Steve,

A flat plate, improved version of the 6C33 mono's which will be a "holy grail" mono amp and affordable?  Have I got that right?

Only have to wait 2 - 3yrs?

Put me down for one pair.  I'm sort of used to waiting by now.

Thanks

I'm going to give it a go and see what happens... less than 1 year most likely.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #266 - 04/12/17 at 04:26:22

Cool. Dual triode inside of that glass envelope. With your topology (something simple is not that simple=your voicing) and it being the most powerful Triode you will have ever made. I can see where its 15 watts/ch, can sound mighty powerful with perceived headroom. Hell, I should know. I ran those Polks below for years with about 1.8 watts per ch, after losing a little per ch thru the x-over. It freaked my friends out how good it sounded at 78db SPL.

1 year (or less maybe, you mentioned) is fair enough to see where you can take it and whittle some of the cost with flat plate in walnut, and etc.....  .

Wish your topology OTL was feasible for production. However, I can live with your ZMA and 6C33C Mono-blocks and not look back.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #267 - 04/12/17 at 16:55:55

Thanks for the DEEZER.com tip Steve. I just dropped my Tidal subscription, and with the $180.00 a year savings, I plan to buy some of the PAC-S PILLs... and, and, and...

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
Silver Teflon speaker cables
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
Technics SL-1200 Mark II turntable
Centrance Hifi-M8/iPhone streaming Tidal lossless 1,411 kbps
  IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #268 - 04/19/17 at 12:45:58

Oooops, Deezer only streams at 320 kbps on their Premium + service. The 1,411 kbps is only available in the U.S. via Elite subscription which requires a Sonos device, so it's back to Tidal for now  :'(

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
Silver Teflon speaker cables
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
Technics SL-1200 Mark II turntable
Centrance Hifi-M8/iPhone streaming Tidal lossless 1,411 kbps
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #269 - 04/21/17 at 04:16:19

I forgot to mention that I am working on a new DAC mod based on the TEAC NT-503 by TASCAM.  It's a sleeper USB DAC on so many levels.  We are going to replace the balanced XLR outputs and single-ended RCA outputs with our transformer coupled output stage driving a pair of RCA jacks, just as we have with the ZDSD.  

A few high points of this machine...

It's based on a pair of VERITA AK4490 DACs, designed by Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation.  Brand New Stuff.  And well done if I may say so,  coming from a die hard Burr Brown guy.

Uses FPGA (programmable IC) with an exclusive Fluency up-conversion algorithm that up samples everything to 4X DSD / 12.2 Mhz.

Has adjustable PCM and DSD filters that let you select the most pleasing by ear.

Has built-in Volume control with full function remote that can be used to control volume and everything else.

Has smartphone and tablet application to scroll through your music library.

Has Bluetooth.

Will play from USB memory sticks

Will stream directly from Deezer, spotify, slacker, DNLA.

High Res playback from PC via USB cable.

Streams radio stations directly off the internet.

Has extensive dual mono architecture and voicing that make it a more than a solid foundation for our output stage resulting in another giant killer. An 8K sound for around 2K... as usual.

Also it should be noted that like our ZDSD and ZCD240, you can optionally decide to purchase these units yourself and order the Decware ZBIT which is simply our transformer driven output stage in a stand alone box.  In some cases this is more flexible because the ZBIT will work with ANY balanced source and being a passive device will never wear out or fail.  CD Players as an example have a limited lifespan because the laser wears out over time.  Things like this DAC with no moving parts and over built power supplies are likely to last many times the lifespan of a CD player.

20 years ago I was in a panic (ask anyone) because it took over 20 grand minimum and more like 38K to get a digital system to sound this good.  Asynchronous USB with super great clocks in the DAC make the 18K transport and 3K digital IC cable obsolete.  

Exciting times for digital on a budget.  20 years ago if you wanted sound this good for 2K you would have to set up a turntable with a modest cartridge and tonearm and pair it with a fairly good phono stage.  Basically you'd have to buy everything used to get the quality you needed for less than half price so that when you spend 2K you get a 4/5K rig.

Of course the fidelity argument is one thing but having your entire hard drive, and the entire internet at your fingertips to stream your hi-res wav and flac files from the couch and a remote volume control it gets pretty nice.  

I'll let you know more about it's progress in a month or two.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #270 - 04/21/17 at 06:46:33

Steve,

That sounds pretty dang neat!  I am loving my ZDSD immensely.  I am using it purely as a DAC and hardware digital file playback device.  I have not used it for what it was primarily designed as, a digital recorder.  

So, to have all of the other features, that I would use frequently, coupled with great DAC hardware and your transformer coupled output?  Sounds like I will be keeping a close eye on the progress.

When comfortable offering it, I would like to get your opinion on the capabilities of it as top notch DAC, and only that - and how it compares to the ZDSD as a DAC, and only that.  While all of the other features are nice/convenient, whichever performs best as a DAC is the one I will have to go with.  

Would you mind moving your last post to a new thread so it is easier to track?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #271 - 04/21/17 at 14:23:20

My pinpoint questions exactly, Jeff.

http://www.teac.com/product/nt-503/
What has my attention:

The NT-503 up-converts 16-bit/44.1kHz data from a conventional CD into 11.2MHz DSD.

PCM/DSD Filters Provide a Multifaceted Personality from a Single Unit. In addition to four types of PCM digital filters and an OFF mode, the unit has two types of DSD digital filters.

+, you can read about the Preamp section at the bottom of the Link/or, click the tab/main features. It is running in the analog domain coming from the D/A, a fully-balanced circuit design from the output of the D/A Converters and Volume Amplifier section.

BIG QUESTION FOR ME: How transparent/fluid is this Preamp (being direcly in the unit bodes well)? However, running it in fixed output mode/bypassing the Pre is fine too...long as it can be done. However, I would love to have the remote volume control.....even though I have gone all purest with no Pre as of late.

Returning the Tekton's (the Monoliths are kicking arse), affords me to order one from Crutchfield and wait on receiving a ZBIT. I will wait and see how it all fleshes out from Steve.......first. Maybe, I'll stick with his all in one unit, as I did with my ZDSD Tranny outputed.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are!

Decware DM947 Monoliths (Midrange modification/Wave Guide)
w/PX Clarity Caps ......Duelund, StealthCap or Mundorf MCap Supremes possibly pending.....

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps.

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #272 - 04/23/17 at 01:29:55

Quote:
Would you mind moving your last post to a new thread so it is easier to track?

No worries, I'll be starting a new thread about the DAC when the time comes.  You won't miss it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #273 - 04/30/17 at 13:38:29

I'm in.

With my fortunate circumstances of getting the DM947 Monoliths (sticking with the Clarity Caps for now/nice match), returned the Tekton Impact Speakers and selling my Adagio's..... . I'm ordering the ZBIT and will time its arrival with an Teac NT-503.

I'm to intrigued with this new FPGA + Chip and Upsampling my Redbook collection to DSD......need to hear it. With Steve's ZBIT = no brainier. I so enjoy his output on my ZDSD. Plus volume from the 503 and gain adjustment from the higher output/balanced input/ZBIT to RCA. I'll end up streaming too..... If all goes to my liking.....someone is going get a deal on my ZDSD too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #274 - 04/30/17 at 15:23:29

It is not clear to me, if I can input the 503, via coax digital from transport and upsample to PCM (352.8) 384kHz and/or (11.2) 12.2MHz DSD?

Or, do I need to do USB input of lossless WAV, FLAC to achieve it? I read all inputs....then I read something conflicting....which makes me ask this question.

Anyway, I already have the great output trannies/ZDSD/16/192, in which, I like better than a whole lot of DACS, I have had in here....but to get into streaming, etc....would be cool.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #275 - 05/01/17 at 00:38:07

I'm probably not that much help as I have not read the manual (;D), but once the data gets into the DAC it may be able to up-sample and output to almost anything the DAC chip is capable of.  For instance ~ on my McIntosh DAC I can set the output to the highest level it's capable of no matter the incoming data signal, so perhaps the TEAC does this as well.  

Though to be honest, I have not had consistent results up-sampling and it's been kind of hit and miss for me.  Sometimes it sounds better, sometimes not ...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #276 - 05/01/17 at 04:36:04

Steve says everything in his initial post and the manual says the same pretty much. I just want to make sure.  8-)

Anyway, I'm going to play around with my OB Sub this week and give Steve a call or an email. I'm thinking the ZBIT Outboard to have adjustable gain to ride there with the volume control gain of the NT503. Of course, my ZMA too. The ultimate 3 gains to ride to my satisfaction.

Yes, Upsampling is what it is and why I don't loose any sleep running 16/192 with Steve's output Tranny's.....I've had the best through here and like Steve's best. However, because I want the Internet at my finger tips with the 503...it will be fun to hear if any subjective pleasure comes from this unit upsampled and/ or the different setting choices.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #277 - 05/11/17 at 17:45:33

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I am working on a new DAC mod based on the TEAC NT-503 by TASCAM.  It's a sleeper USB DAC on so many levels.  We are going to replace the balanced XLR outputs and single-ended RCA outputs with our transformer coupled output stage driving a pair of RCA jacks, just as we have with the ZDSD.  

I totally missed this about this DAC. It's exactly what I've been waiting for as a second system to pair up with my one-off Zen UFO. I'm *really* excited about this!!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #278 - 05/12/17 at 08:12:07

Lonely Raven wrote on 05/11/17 at 17:45:33:
I totally missed this about this DAC. It's exactly what I've been waiting for as a second system to pair up with my one-off Zen UFO. I'm *really* excited about this!!

Solves the USB issue as well, I have never considered the ZDSD since it omits this very important (at least for me) input.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #279 - 05/12/17 at 14:43:16

Yeah, I wish I could buy one of these B-stock ones I found online, like, right now! But I'm on a spending freeze till about this time next year. Hell, I'm selling guitars and gear just to pay down medical bills right now. Maybe by this time next year it will be sub-$500 for this DAC or one like it.

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #280 - 05/13/17 at 01:06:53

More developments are manifesting themselves.  There's a pretty creative vibe around here as of late...  Some of the very best of Decware is about to come together in a way no one could anticipate and in a way that will be noticed world wide because it's that unique.  It's about time to show everyone what an FRX driver sounds like in an enclosure.  Brace yourselves.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 05/13/17 at 04:36:08

Uh oh ... can't wait to hear more Steve! Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #282 - 05/15/17 at 13:22:48

Cool. I have certainly heard the light in the DM's....you have my attention.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 05/17/17 at 20:13:50

Any updates on the tube tester?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #284 - 05/18/17 at 00:22:28

Quote:
Cool. I have certainly heard the light in the DM's....you have my attention.

I am pleased to hear you say that...  they are one of my all time favorite speakers.  It's a speaker you have to live with and use regularly to really appreciate its diversity.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #285 - 05/18/17 at 00:28:02

Quote:
Any updates on the tube tester?

Still experiencing the prototype and trying to decide if I should leave it as is, or measure transconductance as well.  Usually the answer to questions like that come over time with use, so that's where it's at.  Once I figure that out and any other changes I can do a chassis and put it in production.

I would say probably sometime this winter.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #286 - 05/18/17 at 03:54:52

Quote:
Uh oh ... can't wait to hear more Steve!

It's going better than expected.  As though something else is creating it... which is usually the case.

I can safely say two things so far... possibly three.

1) I have discovered the perfect sacred geometric shape to transmit sound into an enclosed space (box) and it's not a platonic solid nor is it a sphere or a flat plane.  I have also figured out how to make it transmit sound into the room.  It's a legionary discovery for me, and so far as I know a first in the audio industry.  

2) I'm pretty sure it's the best imaging I've ever heard.  

Lastly this will have to remain top secret for some time while I figure out the details.  I've been paging the Audio Gods for some time now and this is a beyond obvious reply.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #287 - 05/18/17 at 04:03:52

Make sure you patent it and be real careful what you disclose in the interim if it's this big.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #288 - 05/18/17 at 04:08:32

Is that what i was looking at in the listening room today when i picked up my ufo2?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #289 - 05/18/17 at 05:10:10

Well there we go folks, the FRX2 drivers have potential beyond what seemed possible. NOW, is anyone taking up the offer to buy that used set in the classified section? Good timing if you do.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #290 - 05/18/17 at 14:48:40

Steve, I can't believe I missed this from your Reply #260.

You wrote:
"I just made a ZSB (Zen Switch Box) variation with a remote control Alps volume control that is working rather well..."

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html
"The Zen Switch-Box features 4 inputs and 2 outputs using silver contact switching combined with silver wire to give even the most picky audiophile a source selector that won't degrade his investment in hi-end interconnects."
............................ = me.

Please tell me, you're going to make this ZSB/Remote Control Alps Volume, Beeswax Caps and with Two Inputs and One Output option...... . (For me actually, one input and one output.....and transparent with volume control....as only you can do-the Zen way).

Please tell me this is happening?!

My additional Kimber 1030 IC, is begging to come out of my ZDSD (with built in ZBIT), to your ZSB/Remote Control Alps Volume, then to my other Kimber Select 1030..........to my Zen Mystery Amplifier!

Stone's Reality List:

Mundorf MCap Supremes put in DM947 Monoliths (June/2017)

ZSB/Remote Control Alps Volume ( " /2017)
.....if Steve deems it viable and produces it.

25th Anniversary SE84C(S) UFO
or Rachel UFO
( " /20**) ~ tricked out hot rod discoveries in Lonely Raven's modified Amp.....

Future possibilities:

FRX driver's/Speakers.....in enclosures

6C33C Mono-blocks
ZROCK
ZDSD NT-503 (or NT-503 stand alone and get a ZBIT)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #291 - 06/09/17 at 06:30:50

So an update on the secret omni speakers.... I have been listening to them for 30 days now breaking in the new FRX drivers, and I am not anxious to switch them out for anything else, which is a great sign.  Soon I will begin to experiment with levitating the egg to see how much mechanical energy vs. wave guide is effecting the nearly perfect sound stage.

Keep in mind this is early work. Perhaps  a year away from any possible product, I'm just using this thread to bring people into the creative fold behind the scenes, and it gives me an opportunity to share what's going on with someone other than my cat.

The egg removes the sound from the driver location and transmutes it into to the surface of the egg and then radiates it into the room from that surface. The result is a life size height to the sound stage and simply insane imaging that is truly in 360 degree 3D space. I've never experienced anything quite like it nor has anyone else ; )

BTW, the experience has given me a completely new respect for the FRX2 drivers. I thought they were limited to about 8 watts. I was wrong. I wasn't sure how low the bass would go but no problems there either. Im hearing them in a good cabinet for the very first time and am constantly amazed at the linearity and overall performance. This is like having 960 1/4 inch diameter tweeters facing every direction possible... it's the "anti-beam" and more impressively comes from a single voice coil. Such a Zen thing... singularities... eggs...  

I have thrown the whole force of a ZMA at it, wound up to 100% with about 8 volts on the inputs and the speakers just do it without any compression. This actually makes more sense as I have always been somewhat puzzled by the FRX compression on larger amps, but I realize the only large amp I ever ran on the FRX was the TORII MK3 and MK4. That amp always embellished the bass in an open baffle application but apparently didn't actually care for the load much, as it turns out it only put out about 8 or 10 watts before compressing. I thought it was the speaker and it was the amp... So I have heard the FRX2 now in a cabinet with real power and I have to say it's way more driver than I thought!  

Side note, and I probably mentioned this earlier somewhere, but when putting the FRX2 in this cabinet design, I rebooted it from the beginning and revisited the transformers used to make an FRX2.  I quickly found out that there is no other transformer ratio that will work. I tried some that were lower and it completely sucked.  I mention this because people have been doing DIY FRX drivers and I suspect without knowing the ratio most have not accidentally hit it and therefor have not heard it work properly.  

The egg raises the sound stage to ear height and then expands it vertically down to the floor and up to the ceiling and does the same horizontally from left to right. I'm just stunned after 25 years of playing with the radial design that this works so well.

Fun stuff.  By the way, don't frikin touch one because that might make it hatch like in the movie Aliens and if you think the wife acceptance factor is low with your current speakers...

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #292 - 06/09/17 at 15:33:56

Funny, the WAF factor.  ;D

Fun stuff is right!  

Look forward to the Omni Speaker reports over the next year, + 6C33C Mono's & ZSB/remote ALPS volume.

I so enjoyed the creative process posts for the ZMA. From what I just read....the Omni's, (Mono's & ZSB too), will be no less intriguing.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #293 - 06/12/17 at 21:03:20

Quote:
Fun stuff.  By the way, don't frikin touch one because that might make it hatch like in the movie Aliens and if you think the wife acceptance factor is low with your current speakers...

LOL, that's pretty much what I thought as well.

I'm going to have to come by and see what all the fuss is about. I've not been by since picking up the modified Zen amp. I don't want my next visit to be Decfest!

As long as the Pere Marquette hotel is still a Marriott, I'm still coming down here to work.  :)

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #294 - 07/05/17 at 02:58:20

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #295 - 07/05/17 at 03:36:03

That looks too busy to be a tube tester - is that a big monoblock? Maybe you made progress on some Russian airplane parts?

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #296 - 07/05/17 at 15:50:02

Hmm, what is that?  Cool teaser.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #297 - 07/06/17 at 17:17:46

I have no idea what that is, but I think I want it anyway.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #298 - 07/07/17 at 02:55:01

Everyone will want it.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #299 - 07/07/17 at 03:08:13

BTW:  AutoCad, which I have owned since 1984 has become about how much money they can rape people for instead of how their cad can help people.

To create the drawing in the picture I had to use new software. That's because my old software, Adobe has been putting my crap in a cloud, charging some $800 a year or more and extra for support and like last week, your files just won't open because your subscription has run out.

They take your work hostage until you pay ransom.

Just another day at Decware where another entity gets told to bite me.  [smiley=tunes57.gif]

Proof that standing up for yourself always presents alternatives that were not there until you did. The new software is quite a bit better and costs nothing.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Send Topic Print