Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:21:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Balanced Inputs on Taboo MKIII (Read 1183 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Balanced Inputs on Taboo MKIII
07/25/14 at 21:53:47

Quote:
Hey Steve

I’m interested in the Taboo MKIII and was wondering if there was an option for Balanced dual 3 pin XLR inputs?

Thanks

Sorry, there just isn't any room on that chassis for the XLR jacks and transformers that would go with it.  

I will be making available our input transformers soon in a stand alone chassis, similar to our switch box that you could use to accomplish the same goal. 

It will feature XLR inputs feeding Jensen's best wide bandwidth transformers which will convert the output to single-ended RCA. The difference between this one and everything on the market is that this one will not be dropping the RCA output's voltage to the industry standard 2.0 Volts. Instead it will allow the full voltage of the balanced signal to be applied, be it 3.5 volts for consumer grade balanced, or 10 volts for pro grade balanced. The box will also feature a variable output level control that you can use to set the voltage anywhere from 0 to max. Using this approach, the dynamics and openness of the sound are simply spectacular. Something like this would work well with the Taboo MK3. Look for it sometime this fall. Not sure on the price yet, but it will be reasonable.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Re: Balanced Inputs on Taboo MKIII
Reply #1 - 09/08/14 at 20:50:25

Steve,

How would this work with my CSP3/Taboo III?

Is the new unit's unbalanced output intended to be plugged into the Taboo III directly, or can it be connected to the input of the CSP3 first? If the later (CSP3 first), would this improve the sound in any way as opposed to going into the Taboo III directly?

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 09/08/14 at 21:43:42

Rizlaw,

I got to hear Steve's prototype of the "magic box" as we called it, it's pretty slick - even more so now that I've read what Steve said above and have thought about it some more.

The box uses the same Jansen transformers that's on my Zen Mystery Amp. The transformer goes between the XLR input, and RCA output on the Magic Box.

What's cool, is that you get the higher voltage that the XLR output of your source supplies, but you can send that out to your preamp or directly to your amp. As Steve mentioned, there will be a volume knob to allow you to dial down that voltage to suit your next devices needs.

IMHO - the Jensen transformer seems to add some sparkle to the sound that makes everything running through it sound more *live*. Plus you get the added benefit of using the XLR cables for nice quiet long runs, galvanic isolation, *and* that added voltage you have from XLR conversion gives you more density to your sound (again IMHO). At least it does on Decware gear.  :)

The only drawback I see, is that you have to buy a short (preferably really short) RCA interconnect to go from the Magic Box to your device. Beyond that, it's all magic.

Here is a photo of the transformer on my ZMA - so you can imagine a box with two of these, that has XLR on one side, and RCA on the other, and a volume knob in the middle. Just think of it as a high end passive converter from XLR to RCA with a built in attenuation.  (because that's what it is! Smiley )

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/09/14 at 01:24:35

Lonely Raven,

Thanks for the info. For some reason, I was imagining a larger transformer. I guess the box will be small and reasonably priced.

It's time to call Steve to put in my order. If it can make my CSP3/Taboo III sound even better than it does, I'm all in on this.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 09/09/14 at 04:38:53

Yeah, we're only talking 10v, so it's not a big transformer. And the one Steve picked it really wide bandwidth. If I recall, it's flat to like 95Khz. you can see it's completely shielded, so it's really quiet and low distortion.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like. Steve was tying to talk me into getting one, but I'm saving up for a CSP3.  :)

Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/09/14 at 20:41:56

I spoke to Steve early this afternoon and I believe I'm #1 on the list for the final version of the new "Mystery Box" (XLR to RCA box)  as Steve refers to it. He says it will be about a six week wait because he's still figuring out what he wants to include in terms of features.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/10/14 at 02:43:57

Nice! Show pics when you get it! I'm curious what form factor it's going to come in...

Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/10/14 at 17:39:58

Steve said it will be the same box and size used for the new Decware Switch Box and Z Stage. If I recall correctly, he said about 10" long by 6" wide by 2" tall.

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/20/14 at 14:25:21

I just came across this Jensen Transformers paper on the  "Interconnection of Balanced and Unbalanced Equipment". I thought it might be of interest to those considering Steve's "Magic Box" for use in their Decware unbalanced systems. I believe it shows the transformer Steve will be using in his "Magic Box".

Here's the link: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/06/15 at 12:25:36

Hello!  :) I'm about to buy a pre-owned Taboo MK III and I was wondering if there already is some new info about this. (Or is it already released under another name?)

And what would have a better impact on the sound quality: this magic box, or adding a CSP3 to the Taboo? (I guess the latter one, but I take it that the magic box will be a fraction of the cost of that.)

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/08/15 at 16:33:31

ToT,

Steve hasn't, as yet, made a sub-forum for the ZBIT. But I did post my initial impressions here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1415411351

P.S. Forgot to say, welcome to the Decware family. Smiley

IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/09/15 at 21:34:51

Thanks Rizlaw!  :D
I really can't wait to get my Taboo!:D

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/14/15 at 16:16:11

This is an update to "Reply 8" above which provided a link to a Jensen PDF file on unbalanced/balanced connections. Jensen changed the location of the pdf download. The new link, for those interested, is: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/application-notes/
The file name is "AN003"  Jensen now requires that you register as an "Insider" before allowing the actual download.  :(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print