Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:00:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about tube rolling (Read 446 times)
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Question about tube rolling
07/19/14 at 05:04:38

Hi guys,

Before I get to my specific question, I want to say how much I appreciate this forum, and how much I have learned from some of you who have WAY more experience with audio in general, and tube amplification in particular. The atmosphere that you (and Steve, of course) have created here is great for a newcomer, and those of you who I have spoken to directly have made me feel welcome. Thank you.

I read somewhere (I think it was in the ZMA manual) about letting the caps discharge for 8 hours before changing tubes. Did I understand that right? Is that what you all do before rolling new tubes into your amps? That would make the A/B comparison difficult, it seems to me, or maybe my auditory memory is just exceedingly short. Anyway, if I have that wrong, or if you know of a shortcut, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Randy

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Question about tube rolling
Reply #1 - 07/19/14 at 06:46:16

Hello Randy,

I really like this forum too. Different from the pack in many ways.

Do you have a Mystery Amp? I have no experience with it and those giant caps.

But with my Toriis I just turn the amp off, carefully wiggle out the hot tubes with a thick cloth, and set them down to cool on a wool rug. Then I plug in the tubes I want to try, turn on the amp, and let them warm through for 10 or 15 minutes in order to get at least close to the sound they offer. I can't say this is the right way to do it, but this is the way I do it and I don't think I have had problems.

Also, you probably know that new or real NOS tubes take time to really come into there own, some sounding better than others fresh. I have had power tubes take over two hundred hours to really get their stride. They tend to sound pretty good on the way, but need to be burned in to really show what they are capable of. The other tubes seem quite a bit faster in general, maybe 50-100, and usually less dramatic.

That said, I am listening to some cryoset Genelex KT66, and with 50 hours or so, they sound really good. I look forward to 200. In the Torii MkIV it is a great tube so far. Bigger sounding with more body and natural warmth than the Tungsol KT66, but still very open and real sounding.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 07/19/14 at 14:41:27

I've had plenty  of tube amps over the years, and never heard of having to discharge the caps before swapping tubes.
As noted above, the heat is usually the thing to deal with !

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/19/14 at 21:47:55

Thanks guys - I knew that you would know the answer.

I do not have a Mystery Amp (I wish!). I have a Torii MK II.5 (has the Hazen Grid Mod). I think the cap discharge recommendation applies to the ZMA only, but maybe I misread that. The next time I talk to Steve I'll clarify that. In the meantime, I'll try what you suggest, as it makes more sense to me from what I know about these amps.

Happy listening, and thanks again.
Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print