Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:29:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amp Stand Recommendations (Read 779 times)
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Amp Stand Recommendations
07/13/14 at 03:30:18

Looking for amp stand recommendations for the CSP2+ and the Taboo.  In my current set-up they're on a Mapleshade 2" platform on bare floor.  I am moving to a new house with a carpeted living room so the Mapleshade will have to sit on a spiked platform.  I have a couple of granite amp stands sitting around I can try but since I bought them (~15 years ago) granite has really lost favor because it rings.  Anyone have any relatively inexpensive ideas?

Thanks!
Ian  :)

P.S., the new site ROCKS!  It's fast as hell.  ;D

LDMS Mini w/ LPS, Lampizator GA TRP
Merrill Element 116 Mono Blocks (main system),Wall Audio M-50 SET Mono Blocks
Townshend Allegri Reference Passive Preamp / Totaldac D1 Driver

Hansen Audio The Prince Speakers (main system) Pair of REL G1 MKII
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Amp Stand Recommendations
Reply #1 - 07/13/14 at 15:07:32

I was just in the process of making myself an amp rack, and some amp stands. What's your budget and what exactly where you looking for?

After chatting with Herbie of Herbie's Audio Lab, I was going to try a double deck of plywood or plywood top with MDF lower layer. Maybe even filling the aluminum legs with sand for even more damping.

I started glueing up a maple top for the very top of my rack last night in fact.

I'm sure I'll have some materials left over if you wanted to DIY your own amp stand. I'm making something along the lines of this, except with aluminum corners.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/14 at 15:31:22

Thanks for the reply Raven.  Appreciate the offer of materials but I've got a lot of DIY projects at the moment so I want to buy something already built.

Wanted to keep it to like $150 with spikes, been checking things on the used market.  The Mapleshade stuff is good but $$$, especially for the 4" platforms.  I was shocked at the difference in the Decware gear using the 4" vs the 2" platforms.  Night and Day improvement.  Now this was a friend's 4" platform so I'd have to buy one from Mapleshade.  I'd need one with the spike feet which are waaaaaay more expensive than the ISO feet they come with (which don't work on carpet).  Total for that is ~350ish.  Even using Herbie's feet it's up over $300.  I check for used stuff every so often but haven't seen anything I like.  I think eventually I want to get a Mapleshade rack but that's at least $800.  The problem with my Decware gear is that the rectifier tubes are too tall for the standard shelf height between shelves.

How much is the amp stand that was in your photo?  I don't remember seeing that one before.

Thanks.  :)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 07/13/14 at 15:38:39

That was just a google image search, but I bet I can trace back the photo and find you some information. It looks like it might even be a sand box base.

So, big difference with the 4" maple? Damn, maybe I need to go out and drop another $60 on another 2" block of maple and add another layer to my maple block...

This is all experimentation for me. I'm probably making several different shelves and figuring out what works best with my gear.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 07/13/14 at 15:41:00

I'm a Google wizard apparently.  :)

http://www.standmanstands.com/audio-elegance.html

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 07/13/14 at 15:47:10

You guys and your wimpy little 2" and 4" shelves. 6" is where it is at!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 07/13/14 at 15:51:35

Donnie, I was talking to a guy who makes furniture out of raw blocks/slabs of trees he fells himself. I got his card and I intend to ask him for a couple slabs to try out!  :)

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 07/13/14 at 16:57:56

All you need is a chainsaw! Well a plainer is handy also, and some sandpaper, lots and lots of sandpaper! Shellac it crap out of it, a quart or two should work. You too can have something cool like this.

IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/13/14 at 17:59:38

Cool photos.  :)

Thanks for the link to the Audio Elegance stands.  Good looking stands but IMHO the price is ridiculous for something made out of pine.

I am going to continue to poke around to see what I can come up with.

Ian

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 07/14/14 at 00:27:42

Ian, I agree about the pricing. I was expecting $150-$200 for those - I laughed when I traced the photo back to the product.

Donnie, do you have any photos of that slab without the gear on it?

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 07/14/14 at 01:09:56

LR, I will have to take a photo when I get back home next week. I'm sitting in a cabin on a lake right now.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 07/14/14 at 12:39:21

Quote:
LR, I will have to take a photo when I get back home next week. I'm sitting in a cabin on a lake right now

I really wish I was doing the same!

Auguie

Reply #12 - 07/27/14 at 18:31:57

Ian,

Check out Timber Nation. He sell various stands in maple, as well as other woods. I personally bought a pair of unfinished maple 9 x 12 x 2" blocks, painted them with black satin lacquer, and installed some spike I got from Soundocity. Total price was around $80.00, not including the lacquer.  I use them under my SE84CSM Monos, and they look and work great.  

Good luck with your search, and I hope this helps.

Auguie

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print