Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:21:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mazda 6V6GT Shines In Mini Torii (Read 11176 times)
P K
Seasoned Member

Mazda 6V6GT Shines In Mini Torii
07/09/14 at 12:30:30

Smooth and Detailed, I now have a whole new amp (just as Steve D. talks about in describing the Mini Torii).

Brent Jessee convinced me to they a French tube! The Mazda 6V6GT (Grey Glass) for a cost of $99,00 for a matched pair (Brent offers a 30 day return policy).

The Mazda 6V6GT tubes sound great and I will be keeping them.

I should note that the Valve Art 350B tubes also sound great in my system (a tweeter only amp in my System) and the 350b's  get you to within 80% to 85% of the sound of the Mazda 6v6’s (and I paid less than $40.00 for a matched pair).  They will remain as my back up pair.

I am now listening to the Mazda tubes (after a 18 hour burn in) and the Mazda 6V6GT tubes now blow away the Valve Art 350bB tubes (the Valve Art 350B is a tube I selected after a lot of tube rolling (see my other posts).

The Mazda 6V6GT tubes are Organic, Smooth, Lfelike and provide the most Detail (with a very light touch, not harsh at all, but the amount of new detail is amazing).

Thanks Brent for the recommendation

From Brent Jessee's website:

6V6GT Mazda France made greyglass, military boxes, 1957 dated
New Old Stock original box.

A very nice 6V6GT, not often found in the USA. Blackplate and greyglass, Mazda label all with 1957 date codes. These Mazda made tubes are similar to Pope, Amperex and other premium brands.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Re: Mazda 6V6GT Shines In Mini Torii
Reply #1 - 11/11/14 at 18:16:17

These are incredible tubes indeed. Also the Visseaux metal-base!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 11/13/14 at 01:48:12

Good to know about both suggested alternatives. Can I ask where did you get them from? The 6V6 G (ST) sound just great with the Black Plate RCA 12AU7's in my setting, but I'm sure these other choices deserve a try.

You know, for all the late forum talk about the new amps and everything, I still cling to my modest Mini, as to me, it is really a jewel of a design. Would not part with it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 11/17/14 at 19:19:37

I meant the Visseaux ... Can't find them available anywhere!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/21/14 at 09:20:36

Found an interesting tube the other day. really like these tubes. Also got myself som good 12au7s and EZ81s. Result: my not so interested wife heard a clear and distinct change of detail and soundstage. they need a lot more hours but im really postive. Also it seems they give out more "power" even though im not sure that is possible.

Tube.jpg
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/21/14 at 09:25:37

And they look good aswell, really big.. for a moment there I was concerned they wouldnt fit next to OC3 tubes i got a while back, but luckily that worked out just fine.

Could be the NOS 12au7 maybe more of a difference than the 6L6, but rolled 3 tubes at the same time, and will do some expermenting in the weeks to come.

IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/21/14 at 14:21:40

Are these 6v6 or 6l6?  great looking tubes

Mini Torii w/ 1940's Brimar 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
VPI HW-19 mk iv
Chromecast Audio Streamer
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/21/14 at 14:45:45

6L6

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/21/14 at 15:18:13

For me, replacing the 12AU7 tubes provided the best improvement to my Mini Torii.  Mine came from Decware with some unbranded chinese tubes which sounded horrible.  Unfortunately, I initially spent money on all the other tubes trying to fix the sound before I finally started fooling around with the 12AU's which made a big improvement immediately.

While I haven't tried the RCA Clear Tops yet, my current favorites are some vintage military Sylvanias.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 11/22/14 at 02:27:12

True, but I've found driver/output tube synergy matters. There are sound-opening drivers that require darker output tubes to make a nice balanced sound, i.e., Brimar 12at7 and the russian 6v6 GT. On the other hand, a powerful 6V6 like G (ST) goes very well with darker drivers, like the RCA 12au7 (Black Plate). Then there's the special combination of an Amperex 7062 SQ and the G (ST), which is awsome, in my setting anyway.

Depending on the music genre and recording characteristics/quality, one can optimize the tube set within system constraints.

Lately though, what has made the most difference in my system is my current external DAC. This is a variable that can be a game changer, unless you start with a very good one from the start. Of course, this is for a computer-based transport source. IMO, in this environment, the quality of the DAC is crucial, beyond even Tube-Rolling or other tweaks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print