Send Topic Print
These guys get it (Read 8713 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

These guys get it
06/26/14 at 20:47:25

These guys really get room treatment. If you're curious, take a few minutes and go through some of their videos. They have simalar designs to my own. Except they must have CNC lathes to cut their stuff out.  :)

http://youtu.be/lc4Yx_GCg7Y

http://youtu.be/42ABushctZQ

Steve's diffusers - https://www.decware.com/p1312.htm

~Eric~

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: These guys get it
Reply #1 - 06/26/14 at 21:48:17

Those are great videos and you can easily notice the sound of the room just in comparison to each video you posted.  In the second video link (where he's talking in his studio) there is almost no room reflections at all.

IMO in cases where you rent or own a home that doesn't have a dedicated listening space there are so many trade offs that it becomes difficult to draw the line between room diffusers and furniture that makes the room interesting and/or cozy or comfortable.

For instance, I have a big mirror right behind my sofa which is also the sweet spot, I know that I should have diffusers there, but my girl loves that mirror and the way it makes our room look so much bigger and ties into out mid century sort of vibe we have going.  My first thought is to at least get a set of diffusers to flank each side of the mirror and then perhaps that may tame some reflections.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 06/27/14 at 01:37:55

I'm lucky in that Brianne lets me run a little wild with what I do with the house. But then, she enjoys the music and movies and how far ahead of the curve we are in all things entertainment.

While I don't have a dedicated room, my idea is that I'm going to have diffusers that I can stash in a corner or behind my audio rack...then when I have some serious listening happening, I' just drag them out and stack them up. In your case, I would literally set them on that couch in front of the mirror, then just put them away when I'm done.

IMHO, if you don't have room treatment, it's as debilitating to a sound setup as if someone unplugged all your mid-drivers. (not saying that room treatment adds mids, just that without it, you're not hearing the music). It's truly astonishing how much information is there when you can get the room out of the way from messing up your sound.

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 06/27/14 at 04:35:29

In a case like this one, the mirror is really no different from the drywall.

If you lean back on the couch, your head is so close to the wall that the reflection from that wall is not smearing the time.  If you lean forward then yea, having something to refract or scatter the sound off the wall would be a plus, but absorbing the sound would likely be even better.

A good test to find out would be to hang a moving blanket over the mirror that is spaced about 2 inches out from the glass.  Then listen a bit, then remove the blanket and re-listen to the same songs and repeat.

A more interesting test would be to listen without side reflections from the rear wall.  To do that, make a stick to hang the blanket on like you probably did for the last test, but bend the stick 90 degrees in the exact center.  Once again hang the blanket centered over the mirror.  You now have a blanket coming out just past your ears at a 45 degree angle on either side of your head.  I have a gut feeling this might be really interesting.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/27/14 at 05:45:54

Thanks for the tips Steve!  I will give it a shot and see what comes of it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 06/27/14 at 14:29:18

I like that last idea, Steve, very clever!

Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 11/25/14 at 18:43:25

I am sold on treatments. Bought my superzen 10 mo ago and have been judiciously adding treatments over the last 3 months. Treatments have made a significant difference in height, width and depth of soundstage. My room is  11' w x 16' D x 8' H.  2 GIK corner traps in corners behind my Lores.2 pcs 2' x 4' x 2" panels on walls behind speakers. 2pcs  2' x 4' x 5" panels on side wall 1st reflection points.  2pcs 2' x 4' x 7" panels on back wall (behind me). I believe next step will be ceiling 2 panels. Then will consider diffusion after I've had time to evaluate and discuss with the good people at GIK. My ZP3 due in a few weeks which I know will have a large impact on my sound...for the better!  8-)

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print