03/29/24 at 12:36:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Deep Floor (Read 6894 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Deep Floor
06/17/14 at 22:58:15

Have any of you effectively lowered your floor by going a step further than carpet and absorption pad. Have you used not a solid floor but a grating over a well? (Or known of someone who has)

Have you any thoughts of whether this would work best for the entire floor, or for a well near the speakers?

- Brian

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Deep Floor
Reply #1 - 06/20/14 at 19:53:27

Except for an Anechoic Chamber, I've not seen or heard of anyone doing this.

I've honestly day-dreamed about a way to replicate this to get an idea of how it would sound...or more honestly, how *not* having a room would sound.

Basically setup your speakers, and your seating position on 10' tall plaforms in the middle of an open field. I know people have tested subwoofers in similar methods to get real world in box measurements - so why not check out the imaging the same way?

I bet it would sound pretty awesome.  :)

~Eric~

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/20/14 at 22:57:57

Hi Eric,
I was not thinking of something so extreme, but rather use something like the diffusion-absorption panels which are of a slatted form. Either do the whole floor or place them between the speaker and the listener. Wells a few inches deep may mimic the effect of having a ceiling of the proper height.  Or even in rooms where the ceiling is high enough, eliminating the Bass bounce from the floor might clean the sound.  It seems like it would have to.  I think it was Hurdy-Gurdy Dave Leonard who once wrote in these fora that bass bounce from the floor in front of the speaker introduces a comb filter into the music.  I believe he said the trouble is lessened if the woofer is placed at the best possible height above the floor.  I assume this is a different height for each room.  

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 06/21/14 at 19:54:47

Wow, give me some time to think about this. It seems to have some value.
 I once thought cutting a hole into the floor and using the joists as the cavity for the driver. Being single at the time, I could think those thoughts.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 06/21/14 at 23:17:31

Brian, if you're worried about bass frequencies, then you'd need deep and wide diffusers. The ones I'm designing are 12" deep and almost 3' wide, they work on bass frequencies down to 300hz or so.

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 06/21/14 at 23:41:46

Raising a floor reminds of what they would do in offices so that all of the cables could be run underneath. I only saw it done once, but it gives curiosity to what acoustic affects that would have. I realize that the idea of this is impractical, and of course, you can't just throw something together without a lot of acoustic engineering involved. Maybe the question can be asked "What would happen if the joists below the floor were dealt with by the way of insulation or making resonant chambers to capture certain low bass frequencies?"

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 06/22/14 at 01:11:22

If you did a raised floor, you could stuff the "empty chambers" with loose insulation - depending on the size of the panels and stiffness of the material, they would effectively be a resonating chamber. there is some math that would help you figure out what frequency those chambers would resonate and absorb at.

I did something similar with my 10' projection screen. It's made with a stiff frame that has white counter top material stapled to it - makes for a wonderful projection screen, but resonated at a couple specific frequencies. I simply tacked some "acoustic blanket" to the back side and saw quite an improvement to the bass in the room. The screen acts like a membrane, and the acoustic blankets soak up that noise.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print