Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:06:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE 84 ZS  Tube question (Read 19355 times)
pann56

SE 84 ZS  Tube question
06/10/14 at 14:30:19

Hiall...I recently ordered a pair of Tungsram 6BQ5/EL84 tubes for this amp and after replacing the originals all I hear is static and a very faint musical signal....obviously these aren't the right tubes .  Can anyone recommend good EL84's for this amp and where they can be purchased ??

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE 84 ZS  Tube question
Reply #1 - 06/10/14 at 15:03:40

pann56 wrote on 06/10/14 at 14:30:19:
Hiall...I recently ordered a pair of Tungsram 6BQ5/EL84 tubes for this amp and after replacing the originals all I hear is static and a very faint musical signal....obviously these aren't the right tubes .  Can anyone recommend good EL84's for this amp and where they can be purchased ??

This is so odd because the manual says:

You can also use EL84's without adjustments of any kind.

It would seem odd that you bought a defective pair of tubes! "Of any kind" seems pretty clear to me. . . .

In a modified C amp I was using here at my parents' place for a spell I used some TAD EL84 tubes (cryo'd) that I REALLY liked after a bit of burn in. The seller (cryoset.com) also recommended some Mullard reissue tubes which I bought, but haven't gotten around yet to trying, they have gotten good reviews. There are a lot of choices, and they should all work. Which makes me wonder why your pair didn't? Do your other/previous power tubes work properly with no static?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pann56

Reply #2 - 06/10/14 at 15:15:29

yes...the original tubes that came with the amp work fine...its baffling to me
Embarrassed

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/10/14 at 15:33:08

To me too. Probably best to call Steve and see what the maestro thinks. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pann56

Reply #4 - 06/13/14 at 13:12:50

I ordered a pair of the TAD el-84s from Cryoset....they work fine ...sounds great !... I guess the amp just didn't like the other ones

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/13/14 at 13:20:02

Yes, I really like the pair of TAD EL84 from cryoset that I was using. I'm thinking of trying their KT-66 one of these days soon. . . we'll see. I've been very impressed with the TAD EL84 and TAD 6V6 tubes I've tried from cryoset.com

So glad these tubes work, can't for the life of my figure out why the others didn't, unless they were a mislabled tube type that is not compatible with the amp.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/13/14 at 14:17:10

So how would you describe the change in sound with the el84's in the system vs. the SV83.  I've been thinking about giving the el84's a try but wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort or not.

Let us know what you hear.

Thanks!

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/13/14 at 14:42:23

My two cents: the EL84 give a touch of the old school tube sound, lusher, warmer, just a touch so, and varying depending on brand, etc. The cryo'd TAD version goes a long way towards offering all the speed of the SV83 but with a sensation of being a bit slowed down, a sort of warm midrange, less of the "brightness within" that I get from SV83 tubes if that makes sense.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/13/14 at 14:53:49

Thanks Lon, I appreciate the response.  By any chance do you know if the el84 adds or subtracts power compared to the SV83.

I think I'm going to order a pair.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/13/14 at 15:14:25

I think the SV83 type may seem a bit more powerful as it seems more extended on the top end. . . but to be honest I think either type puts out about the same to the speakers.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/13/14 at 15:55:07

Thanks again Lon,

I went ahead and ordered a set for fun just to hear the difference.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 06/13/14 at 16:21:32

Cool. You're certainly welcome. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions.

Tube amps give us such a variety of listening experiences.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/17/14 at 16:01:35

The TAD Cryoset EL84's arrived yesterday and I had a couple of hours to listen.

Just as Lon said, they are just a little softer than the SV83's.  Just like you moved a few rows back in the concert hall.

No question the highs and bass aren't as extended and they play with less power and dynamics at the same volume setting as the SV83.  That said, they still have more air and life than what I get out of my Mini Torii which has more of a back of the hall sound but also more authoritative bass.

I could see how some might prefer the EL84 to the SV83 and it's a nice alternative to the super quick dynamic sound of the stock configuration.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 06/17/14 at 16:29:53

They worked really well for me in my Dad's system where he listens to a lot of violin based music and the softening helps the most strident of these recordings to bloom a bit. A really well-constructed, rugged tube as well, I'm quite impressed with the design, build and sound.

seikosha, I think you may find that the frequency extension will improve with some hours on the tube--most tubes from cryoset seem to improve with a few hundreds of hours.

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #14 - 08/26/17 at 03:38:16

Hello all,
Anyone ever try a true EL83 type in any of the Zen variations ?

Thanks,                         Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print