Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 10:38:38 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Tube Rolling 12au7, 12ax7 (Read 97350 times)
P K
Seasoned Member

Tube Rolling 12au7, 12ax7
06/07/14 at 14:23:34

I have found that a new old stock RCA 12au7 ($20.00) works best.

I also found a new production Tung Sol 12ax7 works best.

I even tried a Mullard 10M 12ax7 but thought the Tung Sol was about as good.

I also tried an Amperex (7316 Selected Grade early Amperex/Philips, large halo getter, original Holland made) and Mullard Blackburn 12au7, but the NOS RCA still was the best sounding.

The Amperex have replaced the Mullards in my Mini Torri (12au7), but both sound great in my Mini Torri.

Oh by the way the ZP3 is a great sounding pre-amp.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Rolling 12au7, 12ax7
Reply #1 - 06/07/14 at 15:14:41

PK, if you like the sound of the RCA Black plate 12AU7...I do too...you should try a RCA Triple Mica 5814A...that's my favorite so far.  In the 12AX7 spot, so far I've liked the GE Triple mica 5751s best...I've tried a pair of 1957 RCA Black plate 12AX7s and a pair of Raytheon 12AX7s there.  I have one RCA Triple mica 5751 on the way and I'm looking for another one for about $50 to try in the ZP3.  In the 12AU7 spot, I've tried more than a dozen tubes...I've lost count. Ain't this fun?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/07/14 at 16:11:40

I just ordered a RCA triple mica for the 12au7 slot

Let me know your results on the 12ax7 slot

Peter

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/14 at 16:30:44

Peter, I definitely will...I'm hoping the RCA triple mica 5751s will beat out the GEs. I'm going to send an email to a favorite seller in the past to see if she has any. What are you running for a rectifier in your ZP3...I'm using a NOS RCA 5y3g and then a NOS RCA OA3 tops it off.

Let me know what you think of the  RCA triple Mica 5814.  Copy the link of what you bought, so I can have a look. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/14 at 16:34:55

My ZP3 came with a new Chinese 5u4g st.

I tried a 5y3, but it did not work, are both tubes supposed to work?

I have tried a NOS 0D3 and a 0C3, but I want back to the stock 0A3,

I  will look for a NOS 0A3

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/07/14 at 17:05:35

Peter, the NOS OA3's are dirt cheap, buy several for back up and other Amps in the future...I use them in my newly acquired  SE84ZSM Monoblocks and my Torii MK IV. I've never tried others in this position.

Get rid of that Chinese tube...yes, the RCA 5Y3G works there and seems to be the preferred tube for that position in the opinion of many here.  It's the only one I've used besides the stock one briefly. But if you prefer, you can use a NOS RCA 5U4G...I use these in the Monos...they're nice.

I just went and looked at the owners manual...link below.  And the picture has a 5Y3GT in that spot and on page 4 they talk about the tubes.  It would appear that the ZP3 was originally voiced with the 5Y3 type rectifier but I know the 5U4 types work too.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZP3%20ownersmanual.pdf

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/07/14 at 17:27:53

PK, if you see a good deal on a NOS OB3, those are worth a listen. I used to prefer the OA3 but have been running OB3 for some time now. These seem to work differently with different rectifiers and input tubes and offer usefulness as fine-tuning tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/21/14 at 17:43:14

Current tube rolling Favorites:

12AU7 Slot:  NOS RCA 5814A BLACK  P 3 MICA S-RODS

12AX7 Slot:  NOS Telefunken 12AX7

Other 12AX7 tubes that I tried, I was surprised the Mullard 10M tubes were not the best fit:

GE 5-Star TRIPLE-MECA 5751 BLACKPLATES (second place to the Teles)

Mullard 10M Master Series Gold Pin 12AX7

New Stock Tung-Sol 12AX7

I am also trying a NOS RCA Branded Philco 5U4G

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/21/14 at 17:58:23

PK, that RCA Triple Mica Blk Pl 5814A is my favorite too after rolling about a dozen different tubes in the 12AU7 spot of the ZP3.

In the 12AX7 spot I've tried...

Raytheon Black Plate 12AX7s
RCA Black Plate 12AX7s
RCA Triple Mica Blk Pl 5751's
GE triple Mica Blk Pl 5751's
Sylvania Triple Mica Blk Pl 5751's

Until recently the GEs were my favorite...the RCA 5751s were then a little better, maybe a bit warmer but I put in the Sylvanias yesterday and they are by far my favorites now.  I'll have to think for a couple days before I can put the sound into words...I'm not too good with the "Audio Lingo".  All I know is I love them.  These are the ones with Blk Plates and steel pins that were made for the military or sold under the Gold Brand....NOT the Grey plate with gold pins, Gold Brand 5751 version that also is very popular and expensive.  Reading the descriptions, I thought I'd like the cheaper Black Plate/steel pin version....appears I was right. I paid about $110 plus shipping for my pair and another in the mail.  I plan on picking up another set if I see a good testing pair for less than $100. Try them...you'll like them!  Mark.

PS...I should say all of the tubes I tried sounded good in the ZP3.  You can't go wrong with any of the 12AX7 types I've used.  The RCA or Raytheon Black plate 12AX7 and the RCA Black plate 12AU7 would be an affordable and great sounding option for those on a budget.

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/14 at 05:23:27

My RCA 5814A has just failed (after a couple of days), back to my RCA Blackplate 12au7.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/22/14 at 13:46:08

That's not good.  Luckily there are a lot of good testing ones on ebay. Why don't you try a GE triple Mica Black Plate 5814A and let me know how they sound.  I've been tempted to try one, they're a bit cheaper but should be great...or buy both a GE and a RCA.  Mark.

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/22/14 at 14:50:37

Did you ever try a NOS Telefunken 12au7?

It is very good (the Mullard 10M did not sound right in the phono preamp}

It seems tubes in the RIAA portion of the ZP3 have a dramatic impact on the sound (more than any other tube rolling that I have been involved in).

I might try the Sylvania 5751, but in my system the lower output of the 5751 tube does not sound as good as the 12ax7 (the 5751 allows for more background noise, the 12ax7 approach dead silence).

I have experienced a problem with some tubes that create hum at around 1000 hz and below, I wonder if this characteristic  is considered a noisy tube or just a tube that creates hum.  

The next tubes I will try will be Platinum Grade.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/22/14 at 15:33:51

Yes Peter,  I have found the 12AU7 spot to have a sometimes dramatic effect on the sound of the ZP3.  Plus, since you only need one tube, it was easy and relatively inexpensive to try a lot of them...Mullard, Amperex, RCA, Mazda, GE...are manufactures I've tried with multiple variants. Only recently have I started experimenting with the 12AX7 spot.  These tubes are more expensive.

I always thought the 5751 were quieter with less microphony because of the reduced gain factor of 70 and thick triple mica construction with added support rods.  I just read the below...

"The gain factor of a tube simply measures how much it amplifies the input signal.  For example, the common 12AX7 tube has a gain factor of 100, while a 5751 tube (which is often used in place of a 12AX7) has a gain factor of 70. This means that if you plug a 5751 into a socket that expects a 12AX7, the pre-amp will have about 30% less gain. Not only will this make the amp quieter, but it can also alter the sound by making the power section work harder when you turn it up. Many guitar amp users (particularly harmonica players) like to reduce the gain to get a different sound or calm the amp down to prevent feedback."

What Amp are you using and do you use a preamp? Also you need to use a shielded cable between the Amp/Preamp and ZP3...in every other position I use the Decware DSR 1 meter interconnects. In my Torii I once used 5Y3GT rectifiers when I had trouble with intermittent distortion.  Once I changed to a 5U4 type, almost all distortion was gone.  With my revealing system, I've found I now hear the faults of the original recordings more often.

I've never tried Telfunkens anywhere.  When I've read the descriptions, I've been led to believe they would be Brighter/Hotter than the Black Plates I like.  Anyway,  let us know what you do.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/22/14 at 16:07:34

Peter,  Have you read "Joe's Tube Lore".  I'll give the link below.  As you read, remember that he was probably using a different pre amp and gear than you.  Also his tastes may be different than your's. So don't exclude a tube solely because he didn't like or list it. With those caveats, I've found his post from the late 90's to be very helpful.  Unfortunately,  I also think his views have been partly responsible for many of his favored tubes dramatically increasing in cost since he revealed his lists.

I went back and read what he said about Telfunken and Mullard 12AU7 type tubes...I copied it below.  This is why I haven't tried one.  I have tried a Mullard CV 4003 from Upscale Audio...I liked it, just not better than my favorite Black Plate types made by RCA. It's worth reading his lengthy thread.  Mark.

"Now shifting back to the present, the only other comments I might add relate to the obvious "what about the Mullard rib plates & legendary Telefunkens?" question. Well frankly there wasn't much to say. IMHO these are two of the most overrated brands in the NOS universe. generally speaking all the Telefunken 12A family tubes I've heard ('X7s, 'T7s, 'U7s) are a bit bright, thin and airy sounding. I've talked to Charlie Kittleson at Vacuum Tube Valley about this and he basically agreed, observing that these guys more or less built their reputation on their use by the old gear crowd. Why? Well his comment was that the caps, resistors & transformers in old gear were dark sounding sludge and the Teles offered a useful brightening of the sound to a more natural balance. The issue, of course, is that when you put them in a contemporary design with much wider bandwidth and a more neutral '90s kind of balance things can go over the top.

Now before any Tele lovers who find them ideal in their new gear freak out and tell me how wonderful they sound - I believe it. There is a system out there somewhere that's the ideal match for any tube. This is just a comment on a general tendency. Now Mullards are another matter. I have found a few that sound quite nice and they generally are warmer than Teles, but in my rig they never quite make it to the top of the heap."

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/22/14 at 16:41:17

Peter,  more on the 5751 tube...

From Audiotubes.com

"5751: This version was usually the one made for the US military. These have a lower gain than the 12AX7, but are otherwise totally compatible. Great hi-fi tubes, as the lower gain reduces noise and microphonics. These are all ruggedized and most can withstand a drop on the floor. The internal triode elements are matched as well. The early versions are more sought after as they usually have extra support rods and an extra mica spacer on top of the plate structure ("Triple Mica"), as well as blackplates, all said to contribute to low microphonics. Don't overlook the greyplate versions, they are also excellent tubes, and many of these have the triple mica as well. The GE non-military version is usually the "five star" series, intended for broadcast use. The RCA broadcast type is the "Command" series. Both the RCA and GE broadcast types are scarce, as are any of the triple mica types."

"...the Sylvania 5751 variants are very balanced and pleasant to listen to for hours. The GE blackplate 5751 triple mica is also in great demand as a very musical vintage tube. The RCA 5751 is more like the Mullard, with a rich warmth and wide bandwidth. Currently, the USA made tubes are a nice surprise with their low prices as compared to the European types."

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/22/14 at 17:26:50

Mark,

I made a mistake in my post.

My ZP3 is using a pair of NOS ribbed plates "12AX7" tubes with good results.

The 12AU7 tube is a RCA NOS (a $20.00 tube), again with good results.

My preamp is an Aesthetix Calypso Signature, I am using the GE 5751 blackplate triple mica tubes in the 12AX7 slot and Amperex SQ 6922 tubes.

My tweeter amp is a Mini Torii using a pair Amperex 7316 Holland Ct1-delta 9C in the 12AU7 slot and new production Valve Art 350B in the 6V6GT slot.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/22/14 at 18:06:39

Peter, your gear is very different than mine so what you are hearing may be quite different but I think generalizations should still apply.  I like Black Plate 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes...to me they seem warmer and richer in character... smooth and detailed.  I tallied up what I've spent on the 5157's I've bought recently...I was a little shocked...hehe.  Except for another pair of the Sylvania 5751s at a great price, I think I'm done buying tubes to roll in the ZP3.  I do plan on trying a mid fifties RCA 5U4G in place of the RCA 5Y3G in there currently.  Also I'll try a 1960 Tung Sol OA3 instead of a 50's RCA OA3 currently in place.

In regards to the Telfunken ribbed plate 12AX7...this is what Joe had to say...again his descriptions of the teles has discouraged me from trying them.

"Telefunken 12AX7 ribbed plates - a typical soft, unfocused 12AX7 sound with big, soft, images allied with a bright bass shy character. I was shocked when I heard these guys first hand, but the more I talked to people who knew these tubes the better I understood them. I generally associate NOS tubes with a warmer, more harmonically complex & rich sound than current production, but light and airy is the order of the day here - to the pint of brightness. The secret is that these guys are a favorite for use in a lot of old classic gear from the '50s & '60s where the transformers, wire and caps used were thick, dull sounding sonic sludge. The bright balance of this tube is great complement for this kind of gear, but drop it into current broad bandwidth tube gear (like the Thor) and you might just get sonic hell - all for just $50 to $65 a tube!"

Your original post last night has me reading through the ZP3 thread.  has anyone else reading this used 5751's in the ZP3?  If so I'd like your impressions.  Next I'll concentrate a little on input tubes...so far I've tried the stock Russian tubes, Amperex 7308's and Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8's...all sound different but good. PK any favorite 6922 tube types?  Keep on Rolling fellas,  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/22/14 at 22:37:09

Peter, you don't have to try a GE Blk Pl Triple Mica 5814A...I just bought two for $35 including S&H.  I suspect they'll be similar to the RCAs, which would be good because they are much cheaper.  I'll let you know how they sound.  Mark.

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/28/14 at 17:15:22

I learned the following from Steve Deckart of Decware about the tubes for the ZP3,

The first tube slot at the front in the most important tube, it is the input tube running in stereo from one tube (I am using either a GE Triple Mica Blackplate 5751 or a Tele 12ax7 ribbed plate).

The second slot for the 12ax7 tube is the output tube.  This tube does NOT need to match the input tube, it may be an entirely different brand (this will drive me a little crazy, because I like to tube roll, and I have a bunch of single 12ax7 tubes sitting around).

I have found that each old stock mystery 12ax7 tube from my tube stash has a different sound.  I am in the process of picking the one with the lowest distortion while providing great sound.

The third slot for a 12au7 is a tube buffer and must be a 12au7 or equivalent like a 5814a . I am using a RCA Triple Mica Blackplate 5814a and a NOS Mullard Blackburn Factory branded Valvo in this slot.

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/28/14 at 18:15:19

It looks like at the end of my testing it is NOS 12ax7 Teles at both the first 12az7 slot and the second 12ax7 slot.

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 09/01/14 at 12:37:49

I found a better 12au7.

Thanks to Brent Jessee.

It is a 12au7 Mazda greyplate, 1960s, made in France

From Brent Jessee:

New old stock, original and white Box. Grey plates, very similar to the very rare Mazda silver plate tubes. These are also hard to find in the USA. Excellent, 1960s vintage long lived 12AU7 types with the distinct European vintage flavor that a modern tube just cannot capture! These have the sweetness and dynamic punch typical of Mazda

Try tube rolling the 12au7, it makes a big difference in the sound.

My result:

Higher resolution and detail

Bass punch (a big difference)

Livelier

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/07/14 at 18:09:51

My Current Favorites (after a lot of tube rolling):

12ax7 (first slot from front, input tube): NOS Baldwin shiny blackplate made by Ratheyon (organ tube) from Brent Jessee for $50.00.

New Old Stock in whiteboxes. These are the genuine 1950s vintage Raytheon shiny blackplates. For a short time we have a very limited special LOW PRICE on these rare tubes made for organs, some OEM repair stock with no labels. Nothing like these are likely to ever be made again, and these have the added advantage of being factory screened for use in organ audio circuits. These beauties rival the vintage European 12AX7s, and are the best bang for the buck going in a vintage USA made.

12ax7 (middle tube or second from front, for RIAA curve): NOS Telefunken from my stash

12au7 (third from front, tube buffer): NOS Mazda (French) Grey Plate (1960's) from Brent Jessee for $80.00

New old stock, original and white Box. Grey plates, very similar to the very rare Mazda silver plate tubes. These are also hard to find in the USA. Excellent, 1960s vintage long lived 12AU7 types with the distinct European vintage flavor that a modern tube just cannot capture! These have the sweetness and dynamic punch typical of Mazda

IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/26/14 at 23:30:14

Anyone use a Mullard 12ax7 in the first slot? Thoughts?
I'm looking for more magic in the midrange.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/27/14 at 10:51:48

lol, I`ve got 45mins left to run on a bid for a 1965 Mullard 12ax7  for that no1 slot on the ZP3. Highest bid at the moment (£18) and I`ll go a little more. So I could give some comments this evening.

oops, getting a bit carried away. It`ll be a few days ......delivery times.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/27/14 at 12:47:05

I am running nos mullard 12ax7 cv4004's in the first and second slot with another nos mullard 12au7 in the last spot.  They are tremendous but have also skyrocketed in price in the 2 yrs I've owned them.  I also enjoyed NOS Mazda's and a Radiotechnique in the 12au7 role but didn't give em enough time to break in.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 10/27/14 at 15:08:12

In the past I've used a Mullard in all three spots, all pulled from my '59 EICO HF81. These tubes have lots of use and are probably not at their best. The sound was far too thick and rich with these in place, great for some ops but in general not the best fit. I've been using Raytheons in all positions with great success. Steve sent one with the amp and I bought two others from tgarden.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/27/14 at 21:12:06

Well I won the Mullard, so looking forward to it`s arrival. The other day I bought another 12ax7 on e-bay, it`s all marked up in military print, like a Brimar I have. The seller says origin unknown, maybe Chinese, excellent sonics. He`s sold 900 nearly and has loads more. If it`s any good I`ll get some more. Dirt cheap.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/27/14 at 23:29:20

My final tube selection for the ZP3 (after way too much tube rolling, i have now gone "Cold Turkey").

12ax7 Tube Input (front spot): NOS RAYTHEON BLACKPLATE ORGAN STOCK-BALDWIN ($50.00 from Brent Jessee)

12ax7 Tube RIAA (middle spot): NOS Telefunken (from stash)

12au7 Tube Buffer (Third spot, closest to the back (transformer): NOS  MAZDA 1960'S (From Brent Jessee).

Brent Jessee is a pleasure to deal with, he allowed me to try various tubes until I found the best, Hammond and the Mazda are amazing tubes

Brent provides a 30 day return privileged on Tubes!!!!!!!

Also I upgraded to a NOS RCA 5U4G Coke Bottle (Brent Jessee) and a Green Label on Base Coke Bottle Sylvania NOS OA3 (upgrade for OA3 from Decware).

Mazda 12au7 info;

New old stock, original and white Box. Grey plates, very similar to the very rare Mazda silver plate tubes. These are also hard to find in the USA. Excellent, 1960s vintage long lived 12AU7 types with the distinct European vintage flavor that a modern tube just cannot capture! These have the sweetness and dynamic punch typical of Mazda.

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 11/19/14 at 16:41:57

Has anyone compared a double mica RCA 5814A to the triple mica in the 12au7 spot?

My go to has been the RCA Long Blackplate and am looking to see if one of these betters even that.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #29 - 11/19/14 at 22:22:46

A lot of good tube options here, so thank you all.  My ZP3 will be arriving in 2-3 weeks. I've ordered from B-Jessee nos 12AU7 cleartop rca rebranded for Conn organ & nos 5Y3GT 50's rca.  Gonna let ZP3 cook for 2 or 3 weeks before I roll in nos tubes. I also have some 0A3 RCA 1951' to try as well as some rectifiers bought for my superzen that I will experiment with as well.  Will let everyone know my findings/ liking's once this long process is finished....ahh now I need some patience!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
deanincalgary
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 11/20/14 at 01:08:01

Hi all - I have had my ZP3 for a couple of months now and tube rolling. Lots of good comments here. What I am liking in the first 12AX7 slot (closest to the front) is GE triple mica black plate and Raytheon triple mica black plate, and Mazda NOS 12AX7S (these are expensive, but VERY VERY nice sound). I did not like the TLFKN 12AX7 or GE JAN 5751 dual mica or CBS 12AD7 in this spot. EI 7025 also scored very high for me. I want to get more hours on my favorites and then review them all again. I am thinking I will put fav #2 in the 2nd 12AX7 slot and then tube roll the 12AU7 slot.

Lots of fun. And of course the sound is incredible.

I have an old Oracle Alexandria TT with Clearaudio Aurum Beta, ZTPRE (pre-prod version) and Zen 84CKC amp thru a pair of Zen Open Baffles. I will be upgrading to a VPI Prime with Ortofon 2M Black . That should make a big difference.

Thanks for all the posts here. Very very helpful.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 11/22/14 at 03:12:29

I substituted a NOS Mazda in my second 12ax7 slot and tried it for a couple weeks.  A couple of my hard core blues buddies came over the other night and we spent a few hrs listening to Junior Kimbrough and Lightning Hopkins.  They thought it sounded it great but i wasn't too happy except for the Whistlepig rye they brought.  I put my NOS Mullard back in and boy am I happy.  IMO the ZP3 and tube burn in make a huge sonic difference, much more evident than in my CSP2+ or Torii III.   I find a matched pair in the 12ax7 slots really makes a difference. It takes time but wow when you find some tube synergy it is breathtaking.

JD

JD

IP Logged
stoutblock
Verified Member

Re: CSP3 as a Pre-amp
Reply #32 - 12/20/14 at 02:42:25

I've tried my normal lot of old 12AX7 tubes and settled on some Telefunken SP tubes that seem to add an enjoyable delicacy to the higher frequencies.   Still using the 12AU7 and 274B Steve shipped but I found an old JAN 0A3 that is prettier than the other.

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 12/30/14 at 18:54:43

I've found that an RCA 5814A in the 12AU7 spot is by far my favorite. Vocals become real and in the room.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/24/15 at 03:50:42

I've just ordered some tubes from Brent Jesse:

2 x RCA black plate 12AU7 organ tubes @ $20 ea.
2 x 12AX7 Raytheon blackplate organ tubes  @ $50 ea.
And a single 5U4G blackplate RCA "Butt Ugly" tube, ST shape, used but tests NOS, was only $19

Between these, the stock tubes and the assorted other OB's and rectifiers I have, I'll be set for awhile.  Only have about 25hrs on the zp3 at this point so it's far from seasoned, but it'll still be fun to do some rolling.  I'm off for 6 days starting Thursday.  Guaranteed I'll be logging some major hours on the stereo then.  Can't wait.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 02/24/15 at 04:00:02

Nice tubes.  Those Raytheon black plates were the first NOS 12AX7s I had in my ZP3...they sound very good as do anything RCA Black Plate.  I use a pair of the raytheons in both my Jolida 100 CDPs.  I've never tried a 5U4G in the ZP3. But have them in both Amps.  Mark.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 02/24/15 at 04:58:01

Down the line I'll likely get an RCA triple mica.  Some of the Sylvania's look good to.  Heck every tube on his (Brent Jesse) site looks good with the way he describes them!

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/24/15 at 12:19:56

Greg, I just read this thread again and I've outlined my experience in the past.  I roll the 12AX7 spot every 1 or 2 months but the 12AU7 spot hasn't changed since at least June.  So currently I'm still using the RCA Triple Mica Black plate 5814 and have 4 more in the mail bought cheaply on ebay.  In the 12AX7 spot I've been running for the past month a pair of Military Sylvania triple mica, black plate, steel pinned, 5751s.  This is my favorite combo so far. But the gain with the 5751 is 70% of the 12AX7s so this may be a problem with your cartridge since it's a MC used without a SUT.   Mark.

PS...I think for a change, I'll leave the 12AX7 spots alone and roll the 12AU7.  After reading what others liked, I'm going to try a Mazda 12AU7 and a Mullard CV4003 in that position. I've got a couple of each somewhere.

I can't remember who I bought them from but they were originally from Upscale Audio...the links below describe them at Kevin's site...

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/mullard-cv4003-12au7-vintage-new-old-stock/
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/cifte-12au7/

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/24/15 at 14:38:50

You bring up a great point Mark about the 5751 potentially under powering my MC.  I wouldn't have thought that so thanks.  I guess I'd want to try as cheap a one as I can find and see how it performs before spending on the spendy ones you've linked to.  $95. Whew!  

I'll tell you what though,  even if I didn't buy another tube,  I could live with the sound I'm getting with the stock tung-sols and the Philips 5R4GYS.  Beautiful.  Makes me think I should snag a Brimar 5R4GYS as Lord Soth feels its even better yet.

Greg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 02/24/15 at 15:18:25

Greg,  you shouldn't feel the need to try the 5751's, they are all expensive especially the triple micas...but if you can't resist, the GE Black Plate triple mica 5751's are cheaper than RCA and Sylvania entries.  You also can save at least half of what Brent Jesse charges by using ebay. I really think your choice of the raytheon and RCA black plates is excellent and if you were to stop there you wouldn't be missing much.  Mark.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/24/15 at 15:29:04

Thanks so much for the advice Mark.  And your right about Ebay.  I really need use it more. Paying full on retail is sort of foolish.  No doubt about it.

I'll keep those GE's in mind for down the road.  Good tip.

The tubes ship today,  I should have them in 2 days.  I'll let you know what I think.

Greg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/24/15 at 20:05:29

Theres no need to go for 12ax7 pairs really as they do different jobs. The more singles you pick up can be swapped around. I look for different getters as well. The ones in my ZP3 have a disc with a punched indentation. They are a pair though as I liked the first one, so because they were cheap got another.
Syd

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/24/15 at 20:11:03

Syd, even though I know that, due to someone sharing earlier in this thread,  I still can't bring myself to do it.  I still put pairs in the 12AX7 spots.  The combinations would be near infinite otherwise...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #43 - 02/25/15 at 00:28:32

51' RCA  0A3 bottle shape
mullard 12ax7 cryo'd (new) input and output spots
Buffer 3rd spot  RCA cleartop 12au7 -side getter,  
rect: 50's RCA 5U4GB black plate straight bottle - tall.  

To roll in I have:

Sylvania 7025 / 12AX7  60's
the pair tungsols that came with it 12ax7
RCA  50's   5Y3GT
Valve Art 274B that came with it
Philips  5R4GYS
Svetlana =C=  5U4G/5C3S  bottle shape  70's
the 12au7 that came with it (mfg ?)
RCA  50's  black plate 12au7
Sylvania  03A
Sylvania  0CA
A few other

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 02/25/15 at 12:04:41

After a lot of rolling I'm almost back to where I began:
early 50's OA3 and 5U4G both RCA
NOS Mullards in the 12au7 and second 12ax7 spots and
NOS Telefunken (56) driving.

JD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 03/10/15 at 20:05:28

These are my dream team
they`re back together and they`re bad ass

1. `65 Mullard 12ax7
2. `50`s Syl x3 mica 12ax7
3. `56 Philips Miniwat 12au7

`50`s black plate RCA JAN 5R4GY 1x sq getter
Eng Electric 0a3

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 08/22/15 at 03:38:04

Ok, time to resurrect this thread.  I've been rolling some different tubes through the 12AX7 spots of the ZP3. My current lineup below...

12AU7 spot...a RCA Triple Mica Black Plate 5814

Middle 12AX7...I acquired a pair of Sylvania Triple Mica Gray Plate 5751s that I have really been enjoying recently in both 12AX7 spots until tonight.

Front 12AX7...tonight I put in a 60's Mullard I63 12AX7A that I'm really liking...vocals incredible...Ella was amazing with this combo.

For completeness...I use a coke bottle 50's RCA OA3 and 5Y3G.  I don't roll these but I do have a 1960 pair of Tung Sol OA3s I could try and several different 5U4Gs I could try. But don't feel the need.

Now the real reason for my post.  Looking at the tubes Steve sells...he has 12AT7s listed as a higher gain Sub for the 12AU7.  Has anyone tried one in the ZP3?  I've seen them on ebay and they are always less expensive than the same brand/year of the 12AU7.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 08/22/15 at 20:31:31

I tried a Cossor 12AT7 in the AU7 spot Mark and one of my Webcor 12AX7`s blew. Ok, Webcors aren`t that great but I wont be using the AT7 again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 08/22/15 at 20:46:59

Ok Syd, I guess I won't try it. Besides, I already have a lot of the 12AU7s, including Mullards, Amperex, RCAs, Mazda, Phillips miniwatts,  etc as well as several variants. I guess I'll concentrate on trying different 12AX7 types.  I'm thinking an Amperex 60's white label 12AX7...have you tried this one? I really like their 6DJ8, 6299 and 7308s...I use them in two amps and my pre amp. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 08/23/15 at 15:56:38

I used to say I disliked all the hardware aspect of Audio...trying and reading about gear, speaker cables, etc....preferring to just sit back and listen to the music without considering all the details needed to get there.  This is still largely true.  My recent interconnect and speaker cable experimentation is like pulling teeth...not something I find enjoyable.  And as a result it's taking me forever to come to conclusions.

But I have come to the conclusion that I do enjoy tube rolling. I enjoy reading about the history of tubes and getting into the art of reading date codes and examining the internal structure of tubes to reveal who actually made a specific tube...and finally I really like the result of changing a tube.

I mainly have been tube rolling in my ZP3 but have recently also been trying more input tubes in the CSP3 and Zen Signature Monoblocks.  The newest ebay purchase last night was an Amperex Bugle Boy 1959 I61 12AX7...as well as another Amperex BB 6DJ8, I already have one pair.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #50 - 08/23/15 at 17:12:23

Mark, I think you'd like interconnects blending copper and silver. I moved to these from the Decware and man. . . it really improved a lot of my frequency balance issues and got me closer to just slipping into the music itself. (Even moving to all copper interconnects by cryoset got me closer to this state than the Decware ones did).

I have interconnects sitting in boxes in my storage unit that I will probably put up for sale in the near future. And I may even allow you "trying at home opportunities" if you're interested. Let me know.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/23/15 at 18:00:16

Lon,  you are talking about Decware Studio Grade interconnects (DSGs) correct?  Have you tried the Decware Silver Reference interconnects, if so, what were your impressions.  I had not considered the DSR interconnects the cause of some of my high end problem but after my experiences with different speaker cables and interconnects in my main system...I'm starting to wonder.

I am interested in interconnects you want to sell as well as other gear.  In home trials would be great. I thought you were currently using some ultra expensive interconnects...are they cooper and silver?  Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions and help.  I am looking forward to a time when I'm content with my cabling and can just enjoy the occasional tube roll to keep it fresh.  Thanks,  Mark.  

PS...after reading your post again...you moved away from the decware silver interconnects, correct?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 08/23/15 at 20:57:39

mark58 wrote on 08/23/15 at 18:00:16:
Lon,  you are talking about Decware Studio Grade interconnects (DSGs) correct?  Have you tried the Decware Silver Reference interconnects, if so, what were your impressions.  I had not considered the DSR interconnects the cause of some of my high end problem but after my experiences with different speaker cables and interconnects in my main system...I'm starting to wonder.

I am interested in interconnects you want to sell as well as other gear.  In home trials would be great. I thought you were currently using some ultra expensive interconnects...are they cooper and silver?  Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions and help.  I am looking forward to a time when I'm content with my cabling and can just enjoy the occasional tube roll to keep it fresh.  Thanks,  Mark.  

PS...after reading your post again...you moved away from the decware silver interconnects, correct?

That's correct Mark, away from the Silver Reference, when I started my journey into interconnect experimentation there were no other Decware interconnects.

I moved to PS Audio xStream Statement and then back to my trusty Tara Lab RSC Reference, and then on to cryoset and then on to a few others but started climbing the ladder of the VooDoo Cable line, first Evolution, then Ultralinear, then two versions of the top of the line, Stradivarius. These are interconnects made with continuous cast copper and silver conductors and are cryo-treated.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 01/17/16 at 13:40:09

Lon,  now that you are in ZP3 tube rolling mode I thought I'd bring up this thread that has tons of info, impressions and ideas.  Also the link below is a more recent thread that may be helpful...I haven't re-read any of these yet but probably will. And of course there are numerous tube impressions scattered through other threads.  I am constantly talking about tubes tried in the "What's Spinning" thread as you well know. Smiley Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1359652300

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1402147415

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 01/17/16 at 13:55:13

Thanks Mark. I find everyone else's impressions of tubes in a component an interesting guide but in truth I think tubes sound differently in each system and room and it's hard to make definitive choices.

A few years ago I bought a grab bag of 12AU and 12AX type tubes, a few dozen, of mixed brands, and I've been going through them for the ZP3. Last night I put in another one, a Sylvania 6189 that the seller claimed was Amperex made in the US. It almost had all that I need, but was just a bit bass light and too sparkly. It may tame and bloom a bit but I'm not patient enough to go through a lot of burn in right now, will work on that later in between listening sessions. I have a few more Amperex and RCA in storage, 12AX7s, so I'll work on rolling some of these into the ZP3 soon. I have so many tubes on hand I'm not going to buy any more for some time, and indeed may thin the herd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 01/17/16 at 14:15:22

Lon wrote..."I find everyone else's impressions of tubes in a component an interesting guide but in truth I think tubes sound differently in each system and room and it's hard to make definitive choices."

Lon, I agree 100% but still I find other's opinions a good starting point.  I found Joe's tube lore very helpful when I started my tube rolling.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

But I must admit Joe's opinions of Telfunkens and German tubes in general have kept me from trying them.  Which is OK since usually they are much more expensive than those I've tried.  I may have to try some since you and many others have gushed about the Telfunkens in the ZP3 and Decware amps and preamps. Anyway, keep us apprised of your tube rolling adventure. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 01/17/16 at 14:42:57

And in order to not be prone to preconception, I tend to not study others' impressions too much especially as they don't often align with my own. Decware owners' impressions mean most to me for obvious reasons!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/17/16 at 15:41:42

That would be a mint name "Prone to Preconception" for an album or even a band.
Looking forward to a special celebrating MLK jr. on the radio program American Routes at noon today.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 01/17/16 at 15:58:22

JD is that thing on radio a Jazz program...what channel?   Mark.

PS...here's what JD is talking about... http://americanroutes.wwno.org/archives/show/938/from-home-page

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 01/17/16 at 16:00:01

JD wrote on 01/17/16 at 15:41:42:
That would be a mint name "Prone to Preconception" for an album or even a band.
Looking forward to a special celebrating MLK jr. on the radio program American Routes at noon today.

JD

That's nice Justin. MLK was one of the greats.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 01/17/16 at 16:12:24

After being all over the map with tubes in the ZP3 I went back to where I started this last roll binge from: TAD 12AU7 and two TAD 12AX7s, cryo'd from cryoset. To be honest this set is the most dynamic of all the complements I've tried, and a nice neutral tonal balance as well. I'm having a little difficulty getting a centered mono image on mono material, but that's I think the room and I'll keep working on gain and tone controls to dial that in. . . . I move my speakers back to the wall to rest and out to play every day so that's a daily sort of battle. . . .

I really think I'll just leave these TAD tubes in til I get to storage. As TADs have the last few years, they surprise me.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 01/17/16 at 16:20:33

One of the true great humans for sure. Mark I listen on 91.9 fm here in Boston but I know it is broadcast nationally.  I never miss it, the host is a great resource for knowledge and music. That is followed by a world music program and then a few hours of Celtic music...my sunday ritual with football on mute playing on the tv.

Happy Listening

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 01/17/16 at 16:29:38

JD, you sound like a multimedia guy like me.  I often will sit in the den and play music while reading and typing on the internet and also watching old movies on TCM muted...I especially like it when there's a black and white one on...even the silent films are wonderful while listening to music.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/17/16 at 16:37:30

Lon,  your gravitation toward the cryoed TAD 12AX7 and 12AU7 has peaked my interest...I may order some as well as a cryoed Valve Art 274B.  Mark.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 01/17/16 at 17:08:34

Mark,

+1 on TCM. I really enjoy their movies especially the black and whites!

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 01/17/16 at 18:23:29

I like these cryo'd tubes for the ZP3. . . they took a bit of time to "cook" or burn in but when they bloom they're very nice and accurate but not harsh or sibilant.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 01/17/16 at 20:06:30

Okay, the TAD 12AU7 is out and the Siemens is back in.

The TAD is just . . . well. . . it is so clean and crisp that LPs sound like CDs. The Siemens imparts a nice bit of warmth and a whisp of mystery to the imaging and sound staging.

I really hate tube-rolling, just like to find the right balance and not mess with it, sit back and enjoy the music for months. I'm getting there.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 01/18/16 at 16:16:25

Ok I have to admit, I haven't been playing vinyl because It just wasn't sounding as good as my other sources. You guys motivated me to investigate. So, just took off my platter, belt and  reattached everything because I saw that although my table was dead flat the subplatter was not and it is just too flimsy. I am totally getting the subplatter upgrade for my p6. For some reason Herbie's isocups and balls isolate sterilize the sound and I don't like em under my table.
Tube rolling: I just replaced my front 1963 mazda 12ax7 with an RCA black plate 5751 that I completely forget buying. In the second spot is tele 1959 ribbed plate that plays nicely with others and early 60's mazda in the 12au7 spot.  
Totally got rid of the bass bloat that was just ruining my listening pleasure because i'm just not a big bass guy. I like slam but loose bass drives me nuts.
Took my 3 hours of listening to side 3 and 4 of Robert Plant and Allison Krauss Raising Sand album but aah...success. Good album for me to test cuz although their lyrics are sublime the bass is up front and really strong against their vocal arrangements.
After shoveling for a couple hours time to relax.

JD

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/18/16 at 16:21:03

forgot to mention that replacing my 1964 rca oa3 with a tungsram oa3 from 1957 made a huge difference. It really helped tighten the sound and bass. I think i mentioned it earlier but these Tungsram 1957 oa3 rectifier tubes kick all my other vr75's butt and it is not even close and they are still cheap.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 01/18/16 at 17:13:43

Great news Justin! You'll love the sub-platter and what it does. It's a work of art, and the one thing I don't like about the Delrin platter is that you can't see the sub-platter when it's on as you can with the stock Rega platter.

Interesting that you note the Herbie's turntable balls and Iso-Cups are making the sound sterile, I wasted some money on those recently and agree, they do have an appealing liveliness to the dynamics and high end on my system (on top of the PowerBase) but the sound is thinner than I can stand.

My gal is back from her Saturday night sleepover so we're doing other things and I'm not spinning vinyl. I so enjoyed about 15 hours of listening this weekend. And now it's my turn to start shoveling, have about 7" in the driveway since I shoveled yesterday afternoon!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/18/16 at 18:00:17

Quote:
... I saw that although my table was dead flat the subplatter was not and it is just too flimsy. I am totally getting the subplatter upgrade for my p6. For some reason Herbie's isocups and balls isolate sterilize the sound and I don't like em under my table.

I think that if our TTs aren't getting the spin of the record right to start with that we have no chance of attaining sublime playback regardless of what else we may do.  Next, if induced vibration isn't effectively dealt with -- same result.  I have a hunch that any visco-elastic footer will impart its own vibrational signature to the playback and color the sound in unpredictable ways.  Once you get the spin and vibrational stuff under control what you hear is what's on the record.  After that I guess it's up to the downstream equipment to "tune the sound."  (Over simplified version!)

I've done things backwards with my TT.  Only after significantly upgrading my cart have I attacked the induced vibration issue (didn't know I had one).  It's worked out since now I can really hear the new cart although I bet I'd like my old one better now then before.

I don't have any data to back this up but it's what I hear and what makes sense to me at this point.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/18/16 at 18:13:01

I agree Archie and even though it's never part of the plan trouble shooting with all this gear does help with problem solving skills. It's cool that there are so many different paths to finding, fixing and enhancing the listening experience.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 01/22/16 at 20:48:31

Okay, went to storage and came back with a box of tubes. Very different set in now:

0ld RCA bottle type 5Y3 tube
Bottle style RCA OA3
Amperex orange globe 12AX7 in front position
Raytheon 12AX7 in middle position
Siemens 12AU7 (still can't unseat this one, it's got the right warmth)

This complement is just a tad bright, but that's lessening. It has dynamics and a very open sound, lots of vivid imaging.  I am going to try to try to leave this complement in a while. I have one more Amperex 12AX7 I may try in the middle position soon.

I'm back to using TAD KT66. . . just can't take those Russian coin base ones at the moment (and got the quad from Russia in the mail, so two quads!)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 01/25/16 at 19:52:11

Well, I did some more rolling and I'm going to stop for now with this complement:

Siemens 12AU7
Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7 middle position
Amperex Orange pring 12AX7 front position

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 01/26/16 at 22:00:01

One change, and it's been a good one so far.

Telefunken 12AU7
Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7 middle position
Amperex Orange printing 12AX7 front position

The Telefunken in the place of the Siemens has meant a loss of a bit of warmth and bass weight, but an increase in 3Dimensionality and inner detail. Which has led to nice dynamic contrast as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 02/09/16 at 15:47:27

Okay, I went back to the Siemens and now I'm alternating with an Amperex 12AU7 . . . I like aspects of both, and there's a cool factor having all Amperex . . . but the Siemens has an endearing warmth that is missed by any other tube and really helps a lot of the material to shine.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 02/26/16 at 20:34:45

Did one last final spell of tube rolling and now I'm sticking a fork in it for a while because it sounds so so good!

'fifties RCA 5V4G
Sylvania OB3 (changing to an 0B3 from an 0A3 was a wise move)
Seimens 12AU7
Two Amperex 12AX7s

Just the right balance between tone and texture. God I love the ZP3!

Also. . . I gave a few records a second wash in the Spin Clean and they are dead quiet when they were crackling a bit before. The Spin Clean
has truly been a good investment, it has amazed me at how restorative it is for my old records.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 04/02/16 at 01:11:58

been driving myself crazy because something was not right with the vinyl rig. forgot that i had put in a crappy mid 80's rca 5751 in the front 12ax7 as an experiment...dont bother. Went back to my early 60's 12ax7 Mazda Cifte pair beautiful sound just right combination of sparkle and air.
celebrating with Thad Jones on blue note...delicious

JD

IP Logged
AH
Verified Member

Reply #78 - 04/21/16 at 10:51:56

Apologies for jumping in on this subject with a slightly unrelated posting but I am hoping that someone may find this useful if you have not followed my self build ZP3 saga on the forum. As this is connected to ZP3 tube rolling I felt that it may be good to post it here:

Here is the bit about tube rolling....

"Initially I had some used Mullard ECC 83's whilst I was proving that I could make the ZP3. These sounded pretty good but lacked sparkle (it could be that they were past their best of course!). In the meantime I had read that some people have had good results with Russian 6n2p-EV (Voshkod Rocket brand) valves, so I brought a few to try.
The only problem with using these in a ZP3 is that the heater wiring differs from that on 12AX7's and ECC 83's. To solve this I ordered some extension valve bases (eBay) and I have reworked these to suit.
For any one interested in this, it is a case of removing pin 5 from the bottom of the extension and connecting the position where the valve sits on pin 5 across to pin 9. This needs to be done as the 6n2p-EV does not have an internal centre heater connection to pin 9 (ground on a ZP3) only a screen.
The resulting improvement is very good, bigger sound stage and more "sparkle". Worth a try if anyone is feeling brave in my opinion."

Anyway apologies again for jumping in, hopefully my comments are informative.

All the best

AH

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 03/30/17 at 16:05:43

Folks, I'm working on an Amperex "Electronics For Medicine" 1968 12AX7.  Anyone tried one?  I would think that it's identical to a well matched 1968 orange globe 12AX7.  I've tried 1959 and 1961 that are different change code versions...this is I65.  Really not sure what it's worth but tube dealers seem to think they are Gold...at least they price them that way. Any comment would be appreciated. Mark.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 04/23/17 at 21:39:25

I've had my ZP3 almost a year now and recently have done some tube rolling. This is what I've found based on my system and room. The bolded tubes are what I have found to sound the best.

Rectifier
Mullard GZ32
RCA 5Y3GT
RCA 5V4G

Regulators
Sylvania 0A3
RCA OA3

12AX7
Amperex Bugle Boy
Amperex Medical Grade
RCA Black Plate
Raytheon Black Plate

12AU7
RCA 5814WA
Siemens E82CC

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #81 - 09/01/17 at 02:52:04

Hello all,

Got some NOS NIB tubes as follows for the ZP3.

RCA mid 60's 12AX7A for the first two positions.

Brimar, mid 60's NOS NIB cryoed CV4003 for the 12AU7 position.

Holy Shit Batman !     What else can I say ?

These tubes, in the ZP3, I'm done and happy.

this is music, pure and simple.

Try these tubes, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Cheers,                       Crazy Bill

IP Logged
back2vinyl

Reply #82 - 02/06/18 at 03:45:10

How much this set up cost and where did you get them?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 06/08/18 at 15:37:04

After being pleased with a Tungsram 12AU7 I`ve gone all in and ordered a pair of Tungsram 12AX7`s. They have a red code on them as well,  and  M2  dating them from `65. NOS in boxes.
Most I`ve ever paid for signal tubes @ $169 the pair.
I`ll write back on how they perform.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 06/24/18 at 18:43:27

The Tungsram 12AX7`s are very good. With a new job and the World cup I`ve had about 7 hours on them but they are pre burned in apparently. More sophisticated than my previous sound which was from two of anything basically. I have several NOS ( and some used ) AX7`s and a pair of Sylvania x3 micas. Anyway the Tungstrams are the best combo by a way. Very fluidy guitars ( J J Cale has transformed into a super delicate player ). Yes, just a more sophisticated, quality presentation all round. More airy as well. It all makes for better performance from the players. Guess I`m getting into the emotional connect territory so it`s a step up. Very pleased I bought them.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 07/05/18 at 16:52:21

It looks like Syd tried a 12AT7 in his 12AU7 spot and it blew one of the 12AX7 tubes. He wasn't sure if it was directly related, or a cause. Has anyone else given this a shot? It seems at some point the 12AT7 was listed by Steve as a sub...

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 07/05/18 at 17:04:01

I have never tried it but I would ask Steve before doing it.  There are plenty of 12AU7s, 12AX7s and their equivalents available.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #87 - 01/27/19 at 15:09:13

I’m resurrecting this thread. Now that I have an acceptable TT and cart, I’m to the point that I want to get more serious about tube selection. I’m very happy with the NOS RCA 5Y3GT rectifier.

What about the voltage regulator and V1-3?

Thanks in advance!

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 02/04/19 at 16:06:38

I've tried OA3, C3 & D3 tubes and various ax7's and au7's.  Def. leave v3 an au7 as it is a buffer tube and used for it's low output imp. compared to the ax7.  In the v3 spot I  like a ~60's Organ relabeled tube (Conn, Baldwin, etc).    For the ax7's  I'm currently running a new prod. Genelex B759 (long plate ax7) in v2  and a NOS GE in v1.     I have switched around a lot between various ax7's.   It is def. worth purchasing from a trusted reseller that has the ability to noise grade the ax7's.      Switching the regulator tubes will alter the plate voltage on V1,2,3.  I found it best to listen and evaluate the ax7's first then once I found what suited my tastes I would roll the A,C,D regs and re evaluate.     Also keep in mind that various rectifiers will/can significantly alter the plate voltages as well.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 07/05/19 at 22:01:29

I was looking for 12AU7 advice for the ZP3 and based on early posts in this old thread I bought what looks like a NOS triple mica RCA 5814A.  A bit of an unknown quantity but for $17 I figured worth the risk.  I'll post again if it makes an impression.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 07/05/19 at 22:50:59

I predict you'll really like it. I didn't use it when I had a ZP3, but it's the best tube I've heard in my ZROCK2s.

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 01/25/20 at 13:59:47

I’ve been extremely happy with two Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the ZP3. Ive had a NOS Mullard 12ax7 and decided to put it in the first spot. Maybe I just needed a change but it sounded alive. It seemed to have a little more presence and shimmer. For lack of a better description... the tube magic I’m always chasing. Don’t get me wrong... the Telefunkens are great, but I might be a Mullard man. I’m going to  find one for the second spot.
I’m wondering.... when tube rolling, what’s the protocol for turning on and off and wait times? How long should I leave the amp on once I turn it on (does that even matter?) once I get into tube rolling mode, I like to swap fast and go back and fourth but don’t want to damage the amp or tubes.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #92 - 01/25/20 at 17:25:11

I understand wanting to switch fast for a good comparison while the sound is still fresh in your mind. I remember reading that Steve recommends waiting 60 seconds or so to let the electricity dissipate before pulling a tube out. After changing the tube and powering back up, I’d let it warm up for 5 minutes or so before listening.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #93 - 12/09/20 at 18:25:18

Thanks to everyone who posted here - very helpful thread for getting the best out of the ZP3. Restarting this thread to share the combo I landed on after a reasonable amount of tube rolling:

Rectifier - 50s RCA 5Y3GT

Voltage regulator - Tungsram OA3 (tighter bass, better presence, clearer mids)

12AU7 buffer - 60s UK Brimar CV4003/12AU7 (bigger soundstage, more texture throughout, tighter bass)

12AX7s - 60s US Raytheon/Baldwin black plate 12AX7A in both positions (balanced overall with clear & detailed midrange)

This combo works super well together. The Raytheon/Baldwin 12AX7As are a seriously underrated tube that is still economical for NOS matched pairs (~$60 total). It makes sense this tube would work well since organ tubes are designed to be very quiet and cover the full frequency spectrum. I also tried a 50s GE 5751WA triple mica black plate, but I personally didn’t like the decreased gain. Planning to also try a type 80 rectifier after I’ve had great results in my SE84UFO.

Garrard 401 | Hana ML | Cinemag 1254 SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8r) | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Ranger
Verified Member

Reply #94 - 12/18/20 at 17:34:26

Great thread and what a great phono preamp!
I’ve rolled countless tubes in my zp3 always chasing perfection. But I’m realizing they all sound fantastic in their own way.
I’ve currently settled on Brimar 5u4g or Cossor fat bottle cv378 for rectifier.
Westinghouse not RCA rebranded 12au7
Hitachi long plate triple mica 12ax7 in middle position
Siemens Valvo short plate 12ax7 in front position.
I was loving a full KenRad setup but they are just too microphonic and I’m constantly chasing the volume knob. Beautiful sound though.
If you’re looking for a fantastic sounding cheap rectifier I’ve had great luck with the 5C3S Svetlana flying C rectifier. They are currently selling like hot cakes. I went with the shiny black plates over the gray. Huge soundstage crystal clear but not annoyingly bright with loads and loads of detail.
Oh man, now I just want to tube roll all day.

IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #95 - 07/20/21 at 17:04:53

I’ve found an excellent tube for the middle position of the ZP3 from the guitar world - the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. This is a very neutral and clear sounding tube with full extension at both ends. It is often used in the phase inverter position of a guitar amp due to its very balanced and clear sound and can be purchased for around $20. I also tried a pair in the front and middle positions, but this was a little dry and lacked character, although extremely clear and clean sounding.

The front tube is definitely the most influential tube in the ZP3, but a wide spectrum, neutral, almost “dry” tube seems necessary for the second position in order to properly tailor the sound using the front tube. I’m now using a Raytheon/Baldwin 12AX7a in the front position, sovtek in the middle, and 1960s French Mazda 12AU7 in the 3rd spot. The combo is pretty killer! By far the best of my extensive tube rolling and extremely dynamic

Garrard 401 | Hana ML | Cinemag 1254 SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8r) | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #96 - 05/06/22 at 18:08:32

Hi everyone,

I would like to sincerely thank everyone on this thread for all of the invaluable information shared.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

I am currently using a 0.5mv cartridge (1.4 ohm DCR) with a 20x SUT and it sounds absolutely fantastic in my current set up. My current phono stage is set to +40db (it's minimum gain setting). But, I do think that +36 to +38db would provide a better sonic experience with a bit more headroom for the most dynamic peaks.

I have a ZP3 on the way (hopefully before year end) and I am worried the +42 db gain might be a bit too much.

Does anyone know a set of tube compliments for the ZP3  that would bring the overall gain down to +36db - +38db? Would swapping out both 12ax7s for 5751s reduce the gain enough?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 05/06/22 at 20:46:28

Surfer-

Read through this thread, starting at reply #8, and the next few responses following. Also, use the edit function of your browser (if it has one), 'find in page' and enter 5751, for each page in the thread. Several comments and observations on using that tube in the 12AX7 spot.

PS

What kind of music do you listen to?

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #98 - 05/06/22 at 23:16:50

Hi Edsonic-

Thanks for your reply. I am lucky to be a fan of all music genres, especially when played on vinyl.

The ZP3 will be my first foray into tubes, thus I am trying to read as much as possible on this forum and others before my ZP3 arrives later this year.

If my calculations are correct, given my 0.5mv cartridge and 20x SUT, the stock tube configuration for the ZP3 should have an output of around 1.25 volts.

I guess a better way to pose my initial question is that if I would like to reduce the output of the ZP3 to be around 0.65 - 0.80 volts, is there a possible tube configuration for the ZP3 that could accomplish this lower output without negatively affecting the sound quality?

Your help and expertise is much appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 05/06/22 at 23:26:36

Your calculations seem about right given that my 0.35mV cart with a 20X step up and the ZP3 is about 1 volt.

I don't see why you are concerned.  After leaving my ZP3 at 1 volt I further step it up with the CSP3 to over 10 volts.  I then squeeze it down with my ZMA which hits maximum power at 2 volts.  The extra input voltage adds weight to the music.  Riding the gain.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #100 - 05/07/22 at 00:44:49

I wholeheartedly agree with you that adding extra input voltage adds weight to the music.

My current SUT has step up ratios of 5x, 10x, and 20x. When I purchased my 0.5mv cartridge all of my research and calculations pointed to a 10x step up ratio to be optimal - giving 5mv of output, but surprisingly it wasn't.

The 20x step up ratio combined with my low DCR 0.5 mv cartridge took my listening experience to an entirely different level than what I was accustomed to with previous upgrades. The music took on a life of it's own and there is no going back for me.

This is the main reason I have decided to purchase the ZP3 because I think it will be a perfect compliment to my current set up.

I am just a little worried about the extra 2db in gain over my existing phono stage (+40db)....but maybe the magic of tubes will compensate for the extra 2db in gain?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 05/07/22 at 01:03:06

What do you think the downside of the extra gain is?  My experience is that more gain will result in more volume for the same knob position.  With 1 volt input, most of the Decware amps won't be able to reach full power/volume.  And of course, if input exceeds the amp spec for full volume, the input is attenuated by the amp volume knob.

But I may not understand your issue.  I've always thought the ZP3 would benefit from more gain but after reading Steve's White Paper on the development, I think he was happy to get what he got without noise.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #102 - 05/07/22 at 12:38:30

If I had all tubes in the signal chain I do not think I would be having any issues with the extra gain.

The problem is that I do not think my solid state integrated amp can properly handle the extra gain.

When I increase the gain of my current phono preamp above +40 db, the sound definitely worsens because there is too much gain.

From what I have read on this forum and others is that if one uses 5751 tubes in place of 12ax7 tubes, the total output should drop by around 3 db, but I do not know if this same db drop can be applied in the case of the ZP3?

And I do not know if this 3db is being calculated or if it is just a rule of thumb measurement derived by knowing each incremental adjustment of most volume knobs is around 3db?

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 05/07/22 at 14:31:38

Two questions to ask in these situations are: what is worst case? Which is not informative by itself, so we ask: for what duration?

Through much reading of data provided by Sure Bros. and others, at 1,000Hz the absolute limit in vinyl cutting is 35 cm/s. Reading further, the max found through measuring of many records was ~ 28-30 cm/s, at some place on two records (of many samples). Aside those two, the highest were ~ 12 and 15 cm/s. For a cart output measuring.0005 V (.5 mV) @ 5 cm/s-1,000 Hz, 30 cm/s is 6x and 15 cm/s is 3x above test spec. From an article I dug out from Stereo Review printed in 1968, the writer said that few records have anything much above 15 cm/s. So I have taken for myself that 4x the test record spec is the R/L actual worst case that we should have any concern about.

With a cart of .5mV going into a 20x SUT and a 125x (42 dB) phono pre, that comes to 5V. Worst case.

The second question is duration of the event. Look at the data on this page: https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/acoustical-characteristics-of-musi...

The attack duration of snare drum measured 5-8ms, bass drum:8-12 ms, tympani (all sizes): 10-18 ms, trumpet: 20-40 ms. These are the loudest instruments in the orchestra. 20 ms is 1/50 of a second. That would be nigh impossible to attract perceptual notice, for one, and I don't think it would trouble even a SS preamp input stage overly much. I don't know for certain, but I don't think even 50 ms (1/20th second) would cause too much trouble, but who knows.

So then with your cart and SUT, we have "an extraordinary vinyl event" resulting in 5 volts output of a 42dB phomo preamp for 5-40 milliseconds.

After all that, your own experience is the final determinant. If you notice distortion when you set the phono preamp higher than 40 dB, then there it lies. But that might or might not occur with another phono pre, SS or tube.

I don't think you need to stress much over it because it might be fine with the ZP3 as is, and if not you have the option of replacing the 12AX7 tubes with the 5751 set.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 05/07/22 at 15:11:36

To this-

Quote:
From what I have read on this forum and others is that if one uses 5751 tubes in place of 12ax7 tubes, the total output should drop by around 3 db, but I do not know if this same db drop can be applied in the case of the ZP3?

The discussion of 5751 tubes earlier in this thread was specifically in reference to the ZP3. So, yes.

Quote:
And I do not know if this 3db is being calculated or if it is just a rule of thumb measurement derived by knowing each incremental adjustment of most volume knobs is around 3db?

It was calculated. Amplification factor and gain are two different things, but indirectly related and close enough for this discussion. The 12AX7 has mu of 100, the 5751 has 70.  Log(70/100) x 20 = -3dB. Theoretically, this would change gain of the ZP3 from 42dB to 39dB, or from ~ 125x to ~ 90x.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 05/07/22 at 17:21:27

Edsonic is lightyears ahead of me in his understanding of all of this but this quote stands out:

Quote:
After all that, your own experience is the final determinant. If you notice distortion when you set the phono preamp higher than 40 dB, then there it lies.

All of the analysis aside, you say you get distortion above your 40dB.  Is it in your existing phono pre?  My NAD pre has both MM and MC inputs but the MC is crap.  (I don't use this anymore though.)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 05/07/22 at 17:57:53

What he said was:

Quote:
The problem is that I do not think my solid state integrated amp can properly handle the extra gain.

When I increase the gain of my current phono preamp above +40 db, the sound definitely worsens because there is too much gain.

So it looks like his phono preamp, when set above 40dB, is sending out more than his SS integrated amp can deal with.

His calculations are correct that a .5 mV cart through his 20x SUT and the ZP3 should produce 1.25 V output.

Louder portions of a record (not the few extremes) might result in 2x or 3x that. The Decware CPS3 starts overloading at ~ 3.32 V (if I remember correctly) with the input attenuator full open. If his integrated does not have adjustment for input level (likely not), then 3.75 V or even 2.5 V might be a problem.

Addendum: Thinking over that last item, I don't know what phono preamp he has currently, but it is indeed possible that it sounds worse at a 42 or 44dB setting than at 40dB.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 05/07/22 at 18:08:34

More things I am ignorant about.  I assumed that anything with a "volume" knob would attenuate the input signal down to zero.  There must be a knob on his amp otherwise it'd play at full volume always.  What am I missing?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 05/07/22 at 18:23:51

First of all, I added to my previous post, so have a look.

To your question above- keep in mind that the CSP3 has three different level controls; input, volume, and output. Many preamps and I'd bet all integrateds do not have an input attenuator. The preamp volume knob controls the amount of gain.

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #109 - 05/07/22 at 18:24:47

Hi guys, I appreciate all of the helpful information and feedback.

I now believe the main culprit of the issue I am hearing is what Edsonic mentioned - "extraordinary vinyl events"

My integrated amp and/or phono preamp is not properly handling the "extraordinary vinyl events" that my 20x SUT and 0.5mv cartridge and phono preamp are producing. Events lasting only in milliseconds with output ranging from 2 to 5 volts.

I have two technical follow up questions I hope you don't mind answering-

1. Do you think the maximum input capacity of the ZP3 increases when using the lower mu 5751 tubes? Edsonic - I read one of your other posts where you thought the ZP3 should have at least a maximum input capacity greater than 100mv. Will the use of 5751 tubes increase this maximum capacity number?

2. Edsonic - your calculated db decrease of the 5751 compared to using the 12ax7 was Log(70/100) x 20 = -3dB. Does your calculation encompass the use of 5751 in both v1 and v2 slots? Or is using 5751 tubes in both v1 and v2 slots additive to the drop in db? [Log(70/100) x 20 + Log(70/100) x 20] = -6.19 db for an overall output of around +36db?

thanks for your help

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 05/07/22 at 19:02:15

Quote:
The preamp volume knob controls the amount of gain.

Sorry if I'm taking this thread off topic but this is very interesting to me as I've never heard an explanation of what happens when a signal is inputted to an amp.  Also, I've never understood what really goes on with the 3 adjustments of the CSP3 and how they are different.  I thought the input and output settings were a sort of maximum with the Master Volume attenuating from zero to that maximum.

My assumption in my above post was that the amp (Decware anyway) attenuates the input signal from zero to it's actual value -- if the amp doesn't distort before reaching it.  If this doesn't happen then what does?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 05/07/22 at 19:13:49

Surfer-

Refresh page and make sure you read the last few items Archie and I talked about. We all might have been typing at the same time.

To your first question above- I can't say for certain. I just know the basics about tubes so I don't think I'm qualified to answer that definitively. I know that 12AX7 tubes overload easier than tubes with less gain, generally speaking. In any case I don't think any cutting levels are above ~ 52-55 cm/s, that occurring at 8kHz-9 kHz. I don't know how to mathematically translate cartridge output from 5cm/s @ 1,000 Hz to other frequencies.

Have a look at this:http://pspatialaudio.com/max_velo.htm Scroll to the chart halfway down the page, past the graph.

My guess about the ZP3 input limit was based on a 'search survey' which brought up several SS phono preamps with 70-120 mV limits and an AR and Manley Chinook w/ 240 mV limits. My estimation of at least 100mV for the ZP3 is probably a low ball figure. That said, there are a number of phono preamps with 40-60 mV limits.

To your question about 2 tubes / 2x the dB calculation, I'm not sure about that either. Standalone, it makes sense, but the circuit might have it otherwise.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 05/07/22 at 19:59:31

Archie-

I only know the bare basics of electronics- Ohm's Law, how to express watts in those terms (V²/R), RMS/peak/p-p, how to calculate gain, etc. I just know how to run the numbers -  the inner workings of circuits, not so much.

I was told by the instructor in my Studio Recording class and by a sound company owner I worked for sometimes (eons ago, both cases) that the 'pad' (input attenuator) determines the level of input, and the fader controls the amount of gain. Input levels are set with the fader at unity gain.

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #113 - 05/07/22 at 20:55:30

Edsonic and Archie,

I appreciate the knowledge you have shared with me. I definitely have a better understanding of how much voltage my phono preamp and integrated amp are experiencing even if for a few milliseconds.

When my ZP3 arrives later this year I will be sure to add my experience of how well a ZP3 with various tube compliments works with a 0.5mv cartridge and 20x SUT.

and fyi - my integrated amp does not have an input attenuator, only a volume knob

And in the meantime, if anyone knows if swapping the two 12ax7 tubes for 5751 tubes theoretically reduces the gain by 3db or 6db, please do not hesitate to respond:)

Thanks again

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 05/08/22 at 00:56:49

Quote:
and fyi - my integrated amp does not have an input attenuator, only a volume knob

My problem is that I thought these were the same thing.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 05/12/22 at 13:20:58

A few things I overlooked in prior discussion.

Surf, I think the reason your SUT sounds better @ 20x setting is because the cart DCR is so low. (Generally speaking, lower cart DCR is a good thing). The SUT steps down the input impedance of the phono preamp by the square of the  turns ratio. So from the 47kΩ input of the phono pre  a 10x ratio would present 470Ω to the cartridge, 20x ratio would make it 117Ω (47k/400). With a cart DCR of 1.4 the second number is a much better fit.

Regarding the gain situation, I think it might be best to have the ZP3 operating as intended to the extent possible. To that end using an in-line attenuator between the phono pre  and the integrated might be just the ticket. (I knew there was something kicking me in the back of the head before, that was it). Here are some from Parts Express -

https://www.parts-express.com/home-a-v/audio-video-accessories/line-level-attenu...

They are cheap enough that you could get both the 3dB and 6dB pairs. I searched around a few years ago and these seem to be well regarded. They should be plugged into the 'line in' / 'aux' of the integrated to keep the signal strong till the end, for better signal vs. EMI/RFI on the cables. That last item is another reason the attenuator pair  might be a better solution than lowering the signal output of the ZP3 by use of lower gain tubes.

If you still want to try the 5751 somewhere I think it should only be after the RIAA section. (Another thing I forgot about). The front tube of the ZP3 is where the signal comes in first. Using the 5751 there would  provide less gain to a weak signal then going through the however slight noise of the resistors and capacitors of the RIAA filter. So then worse signal-to-noise ratio at the worst place.

I think using the 5751 tube in the second slot, after the RIAA, should be okay, in the process obviating the need for our question about dB using two 5751s. If you eventually get into tube rolling you might pay the extra money (for the front tube) to get 12AX7s that are tested for low noise. Vintage Tube Services and Brent Jessee Recording & Supply do that, there might be others.  

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #116 - 05/12/22 at 16:56:41

Edsonic -

Your advice and suggestions are much appreciated!

The 3db or 6db in-line attenuators sound like the most cost effective approach to addressing my excess gain problem.

Although, now considering I can add the 12ax7 and 3db or 6db attenuators to the mix of different tubes I now have in my possession, and if my calculations are correct - the number of possible tube/attenuator combinations has jumped from 56x [5!(8-5)!] to 462x [6!(11-6)!]......I guess this is a good problem to have....:)

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #117 - 01/16/23 at 13:58:13

Hi guys,

Hope all is well and happy New Year!

While I am only a few months away from receiving my ZP3, I just wanted to share a few updates.

Although I still think my current phono preamp is experiencing voltage spikes beyond what it is capable of handling, I discovered the primary problem…..my integrated amp's DC bias was measuring far above required specs. (About 200% above spec!)

Once I turned down the DC bias to the specified level found in the service manual, a lot of the issues I was having with my vinyl rig playback went away.

So, I am happy to say I will probably not be needing any type of attenuation in the way of in-line attenuators nor lower output tubes.

Once I have spent sufficient time with the ZP3 and done some tube rolling, I will report back here

Cheers

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 04/28/23 at 01:10:18

Dredging this one up from long ago. It's got tons of great info in it, most I'm still trying to process.

My current setup is Mofi TT w/ AT OC9 III to a Ned Clayton 1254 Cinemag SUT to ZP3 to SE84UFO. All RCA is Mogami 2497. SUT is grounded to both the table and ZP3. The AT OC9 is .5mv. The SUT has switches for 1: 10, 13, 20, and 40. My previous SUT was 1:15. 13 is a little lacking while 20 is LOUD. Before, I listened with the volume between 25 and 50%. On 1:20 the volume rally sees 25% and at 25% it seems louder than what 50% gave me with the other SUT.

It could be there's just a whole lot more music coming through now, like right up in your face, wall to wall, floor to ceiling the room is gone and I'm sitting 6' from the band.

So what's that have to tube rolling? Well, I have a pair of Raytheon windmill getter 5751's. Bought them for my previous phono pre as attempt to tame it's gain. They worked there. On the ZP3, as talked about above, I find the 5751 a no go in the middle (RIAA). The whole bottom end just collapses. I do like them in the first spot, vocals seem much more lifelike with the Raytheon.

The past few nights I've been trying different 12AX7's in the middle. Current resident there is a Mullard (The Fisher label). Tonight I'm going to try a red tip Sovtak 12ax7LPS. As for the 12au7, I don't have many to choose from because in a moment of stupidity I sold a tube pre with all the 12au7's I had. Anyhow, I've got a Gold Lion gold pin in now. That tube has bested a GE 12AU7A short black plates and GE 5814A triple mica 12AU7A. Someone mentioned a Siemens 12au7, I had a few Siemens I really like in another amp, holy moly those are now some VERY expensive tubes.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 04/28/23 at 21:43:49

After some reading I went way way way down the wrong road all the while convinced it was correct. .5mv cart on 1:20 = 10mv!!! No wonder things were too loud. 1:10 is a better setting at 5mv. The volume knob now gives me the range I was used to. I removed the 5751 from the first spot and things became even better. I really love the smoothness and openness of the 5751's but I really think the .70 output from them limits the overall performance.

I didn't care for the Sovtek red tip 12AX7LPS. Bit too sharp for my tastes. Settled on the following:
1 - Mullard 12AX7
2 - RCA 12AX7A
3 - Gold Lion 12AU7

Now that the 5751's are out, I have to go back and try those 5184a's in the 12AU7 spot. If anything is missing, it's on the low end.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 05/02/23 at 02:46:46

Still at it. I found a box I forgot about with some tubes. These either came out of a jukebox or console, I really can't recall.

1 - RCA 7025
2 - RCA 12AX7A
3 - GE 12AU7A

I'm happy with the first two spots, the 12AU7 I'm still fooling with. So far the Gold Lion is my favorite.

They ain't pretty, but they are very dynamic. Just noticed I'm running all RCA tubes minus the 12AU7.

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #121 - 08/09/23 at 18:44:26

Hi everyone and hope all is well!

I have spent several months with the ZP3 and feel like I can now offer some personal feedback which hopefully someone will find useful.

I am extremely happy with the ZP3 and its numerous tube rolling possibilities which can change the sound to your optimal preference for not only different music genres, but for each album, and I could go as far to say each song if not for needing to change the tubes too frequently.

I think it would be best to disclose my current set up first, which is a mix of budget components from the 70’s and more esoteric Japanese and European components which were all purchased in the used market:

Receiver – Sony STR-V4 (55 wpc)
Speakers – KLH Model 23 – (around 87 db per watt sensitivity)
Turntable - VPI Prime Scout
Phono Preamp – Decware ZP3
Step Up Transformer – Music First Audio SUT V1 Copper - 5X, 10X, or 20X turns ratios – 1.3 ohm impedance of primary coil measured at 1 khz
MC Cartridge – My Sonic Lab Gold Signature – 1.4 ohm DCR

**The 1.4 ohm DCR of the MC cartridge and 1.3 ohm impedance of the primary coil of the SUT is almost a perfect match, which allows for maximum performance across the widest range of frequencies – common knowledge is that you must pair an MC cartridge/SUT based on optimal voltage gain and on optimal loading, but the not discussed critically important X-Factor for ultimate cartridge/SUT pairing is the proper matching of the internal impedance of the cartridge and the SUT’s primary coil impedance. The Japanese tend to adhere to this X-Factor much more than their American and European counterparts**

My previous phono preamp was a Musical Surroundings Nova set at +40 db of gain. This solid state phono preamp is a great phono preamp I can highly recommend with very tight and deep bass and quite a deal on the used market for around $500 USD.

With the ZP3’s higher gain of around +42 to +43 db, I did have to decrease the gain of my Music First SUT from my usual 20X down to 10X. The resulting gain going into the ZP3 was decreased to 5mv from 10mv.

I would say that the overall performance gain with my SUT set at 10X with the ZP3 with stock tubes was a +20% increase in performance compared to my SUT at 20X with the Musical Surroundings Nova.

In the world of high-end audio we all know an increase in performance of 20% is huge and could potentially cost a large amount of money, so I was extremely happy with the ZP3 and the long wait was well worth it.

But…..there was some magic I was accustomed to hearing missing from some familiar tracks……

Because of the KLH speakers lower sensitivity of 87 db, they really need a lot of voltage to make them sing and on a few songs when I was able to increase my SUT to 20X going into the ZP3, the sound was out of this world – like technicolor rainbows of beautiful sounds pouring into the room and over your body like a lucid dream….yes, I know this description is over the top, but this is the best way I can explain what I was hearing with my SUT set at 20X. I felt like the tubes in the ZP3 were thanking me and were completely able to run free without any limitations producing ultra-vivid and dynamic music without boundaries….

But, with the ZP3 and stock tube configuration I could only turn up my SUT to 20X on a few tracks that were already cut quiet….

This is the point when I started experimenting with NOS tubes. I thought placing a 5751 in the V1 spot might tame the gain enough to allow for me to turn up my SUT to 20X, but it wasn’t. I kept having to turn down the gain to 10X for some songs to play without excessive gain.

I then tried a 5751 in the V1 spot and a 5751 in the V2 spot. This combination did not work well at all. It sounded as if 20% of the life of the music had been sucked out of the room.

I then tried an even lower gain 12AT7 in the V1 position and 12AX7 in the V2 position with my SUT set at 20X…….Voila!!! technicolor daydreams were pouring out of my speakers and the sound was nothing short of a religious experience. ….I know, another over the top description, but this is how I felt on an emotional level.

Another increase in performance was had by replacing the 0A3 voltage regulator tube with an 0D3 voltage regulator tube. The best way I can describe the improvement in sound was that the 0D3 was giving much more space in the sound stage from back to front and side to side for the music to flow. I think this was because of the extreme dynamics being produced by the My Sonic Lab cartridge and SUT at 20X combination needed this extra breathing space to run at their optimally combined musical speed.

At this point, I thought to myself that the performance of the ZP3 is now 100% - 300% + better than my previous phono preamp - the Musical Surroundings Nova - depending on the album being played.

But…. I have noticed that a few rock & roll tracks that were cut really hot are pushing the limits of gain and I have ordered some 12AY7 tubes to put in the V1 spot to see if this will do the same trick as the 12AT7 did with most of the music I play.

Special note – after reading Sean’s previous posts and seeing that he is using Tekton Pendragons speakers with a 98 db per watt sensitivity – I think the reason I can run my SUT at 20X with the My Sonic Lab’s 0.5mv output for a resulting gain of 10mv is primarily because of the KLH speakers being less efficient and only having an 87 db per watt sensitivity.

Current_Audio_Setup.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print