Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:48:59 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tube Rolling 12au7, 12ax7 (Read 97118 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Tube Rolling 12au7, 12ax7
Reply #50 - 08/23/15 at 17:12:23

Mark, I think you'd like interconnects blending copper and silver. I moved to these from the Decware and man. . . it really improved a lot of my frequency balance issues and got me closer to just slipping into the music itself. (Even moving to all copper interconnects by cryoset got me closer to this state than the Decware ones did).

I have interconnects sitting in boxes in my storage unit that I will probably put up for sale in the near future. And I may even allow you "trying at home opportunities" if you're interested. Let me know.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/23/15 at 18:00:16

Lon,  you are talking about Decware Studio Grade interconnects (DSGs) correct?  Have you tried the Decware Silver Reference interconnects, if so, what were your impressions.  I had not considered the DSR interconnects the cause of some of my high end problem but after my experiences with different speaker cables and interconnects in my main system...I'm starting to wonder.

I am interested in interconnects you want to sell as well as other gear.  In home trials would be great. I thought you were currently using some ultra expensive interconnects...are they cooper and silver?  Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions and help.  I am looking forward to a time when I'm content with my cabling and can just enjoy the occasional tube roll to keep it fresh.  Thanks,  Mark.  

PS...after reading your post again...you moved away from the decware silver interconnects, correct?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 08/23/15 at 20:57:39

mark58 wrote on 08/23/15 at 18:00:16:
Lon,  you are talking about Decware Studio Grade interconnects (DSGs) correct?  Have you tried the Decware Silver Reference interconnects, if so, what were your impressions.  I had not considered the DSR interconnects the cause of some of my high end problem but after my experiences with different speaker cables and interconnects in my main system...I'm starting to wonder.

I am interested in interconnects you want to sell as well as other gear.  In home trials would be great. I thought you were currently using some ultra expensive interconnects...are they cooper and silver?  Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions and help.  I am looking forward to a time when I'm content with my cabling and can just enjoy the occasional tube roll to keep it fresh.  Thanks,  Mark.  

PS...after reading your post again...you moved away from the decware silver interconnects, correct?

That's correct Mark, away from the Silver Reference, when I started my journey into interconnect experimentation there were no other Decware interconnects.

I moved to PS Audio xStream Statement and then back to my trusty Tara Lab RSC Reference, and then on to cryoset and then on to a few others but started climbing the ladder of the VooDoo Cable line, first Evolution, then Ultralinear, then two versions of the top of the line, Stradivarius. These are interconnects made with continuous cast copper and silver conductors and are cryo-treated.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 01/17/16 at 13:40:09

Lon,  now that you are in ZP3 tube rolling mode I thought I'd bring up this thread that has tons of info, impressions and ideas.  Also the link below is a more recent thread that may be helpful...I haven't re-read any of these yet but probably will. And of course there are numerous tube impressions scattered through other threads.  I am constantly talking about tubes tried in the "What's Spinning" thread as you well know. Smiley Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1359652300

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1402147415

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 01/17/16 at 13:55:13

Thanks Mark. I find everyone else's impressions of tubes in a component an interesting guide but in truth I think tubes sound differently in each system and room and it's hard to make definitive choices.

A few years ago I bought a grab bag of 12AU and 12AX type tubes, a few dozen, of mixed brands, and I've been going through them for the ZP3. Last night I put in another one, a Sylvania 6189 that the seller claimed was Amperex made in the US. It almost had all that I need, but was just a bit bass light and too sparkly. It may tame and bloom a bit but I'm not patient enough to go through a lot of burn in right now, will work on that later in between listening sessions. I have a few more Amperex and RCA in storage, 12AX7s, so I'll work on rolling some of these into the ZP3 soon. I have so many tubes on hand I'm not going to buy any more for some time, and indeed may thin the herd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 01/17/16 at 14:15:22

Lon wrote..."I find everyone else's impressions of tubes in a component an interesting guide but in truth I think tubes sound differently in each system and room and it's hard to make definitive choices."

Lon, I agree 100% but still I find other's opinions a good starting point.  I found Joe's tube lore very helpful when I started my tube rolling.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

But I must admit Joe's opinions of Telfunkens and German tubes in general have kept me from trying them.  Which is OK since usually they are much more expensive than those I've tried.  I may have to try some since you and many others have gushed about the Telfunkens in the ZP3 and Decware amps and preamps. Anyway, keep us apprised of your tube rolling adventure. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 01/17/16 at 14:42:57

And in order to not be prone to preconception, I tend to not study others' impressions too much especially as they don't often align with my own. Decware owners' impressions mean most to me for obvious reasons!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/17/16 at 15:41:42

That would be a mint name "Prone to Preconception" for an album or even a band.
Looking forward to a special celebrating MLK jr. on the radio program American Routes at noon today.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 01/17/16 at 15:58:22

JD is that thing on radio a Jazz program...what channel?   Mark.

PS...here's what JD is talking about... http://americanroutes.wwno.org/archives/show/938/from-home-page

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 01/17/16 at 16:00:01

JD wrote on 01/17/16 at 15:41:42:
That would be a mint name "Prone to Preconception" for an album or even a band.
Looking forward to a special celebrating MLK jr. on the radio program American Routes at noon today.

JD

That's nice Justin. MLK was one of the greats.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 01/17/16 at 16:12:24

After being all over the map with tubes in the ZP3 I went back to where I started this last roll binge from: TAD 12AU7 and two TAD 12AX7s, cryo'd from cryoset. To be honest this set is the most dynamic of all the complements I've tried, and a nice neutral tonal balance as well. I'm having a little difficulty getting a centered mono image on mono material, but that's I think the room and I'll keep working on gain and tone controls to dial that in. . . . I move my speakers back to the wall to rest and out to play every day so that's a daily sort of battle. . . .

I really think I'll just leave these TAD tubes in til I get to storage. As TADs have the last few years, they surprise me.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 01/17/16 at 16:20:33

One of the true great humans for sure. Mark I listen on 91.9 fm here in Boston but I know it is broadcast nationally.  I never miss it, the host is a great resource for knowledge and music. That is followed by a world music program and then a few hours of Celtic music...my sunday ritual with football on mute playing on the tv.

Happy Listening

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 01/17/16 at 16:29:38

JD, you sound like a multimedia guy like me.  I often will sit in the den and play music while reading and typing on the internet and also watching old movies on TCM muted...I especially like it when there's a black and white one on...even the silent films are wonderful while listening to music.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/17/16 at 16:37:30

Lon,  your gravitation toward the cryoed TAD 12AX7 and 12AU7 has peaked my interest...I may order some as well as a cryoed Valve Art 274B.  Mark.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 01/17/16 at 17:08:34

Mark,

+1 on TCM. I really enjoy their movies especially the black and whites!

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 01/17/16 at 18:23:29

I like these cryo'd tubes for the ZP3. . . they took a bit of time to "cook" or burn in but when they bloom they're very nice and accurate but not harsh or sibilant.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 01/17/16 at 20:06:30

Okay, the TAD 12AU7 is out and the Siemens is back in.

The TAD is just . . . well. . . it is so clean and crisp that LPs sound like CDs. The Siemens imparts a nice bit of warmth and a whisp of mystery to the imaging and sound staging.

I really hate tube-rolling, just like to find the right balance and not mess with it, sit back and enjoy the music for months. I'm getting there.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 01/18/16 at 16:16:25

Ok I have to admit, I haven't been playing vinyl because It just wasn't sounding as good as my other sources. You guys motivated me to investigate. So, just took off my platter, belt and  reattached everything because I saw that although my table was dead flat the subplatter was not and it is just too flimsy. I am totally getting the subplatter upgrade for my p6. For some reason Herbie's isocups and balls isolate sterilize the sound and I don't like em under my table.
Tube rolling: I just replaced my front 1963 mazda 12ax7 with an RCA black plate 5751 that I completely forget buying. In the second spot is tele 1959 ribbed plate that plays nicely with others and early 60's mazda in the 12au7 spot.  
Totally got rid of the bass bloat that was just ruining my listening pleasure because i'm just not a big bass guy. I like slam but loose bass drives me nuts.
Took my 3 hours of listening to side 3 and 4 of Robert Plant and Allison Krauss Raising Sand album but aah...success. Good album for me to test cuz although their lyrics are sublime the bass is up front and really strong against their vocal arrangements.
After shoveling for a couple hours time to relax.

JD

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/18/16 at 16:21:03

forgot to mention that replacing my 1964 rca oa3 with a tungsram oa3 from 1957 made a huge difference. It really helped tighten the sound and bass. I think i mentioned it earlier but these Tungsram 1957 oa3 rectifier tubes kick all my other vr75's butt and it is not even close and they are still cheap.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 01/18/16 at 17:13:43

Great news Justin! You'll love the sub-platter and what it does. It's a work of art, and the one thing I don't like about the Delrin platter is that you can't see the sub-platter when it's on as you can with the stock Rega platter.

Interesting that you note the Herbie's turntable balls and Iso-Cups are making the sound sterile, I wasted some money on those recently and agree, they do have an appealing liveliness to the dynamics and high end on my system (on top of the PowerBase) but the sound is thinner than I can stand.

My gal is back from her Saturday night sleepover so we're doing other things and I'm not spinning vinyl. I so enjoyed about 15 hours of listening this weekend. And now it's my turn to start shoveling, have about 7" in the driveway since I shoveled yesterday afternoon!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/18/16 at 18:00:17

Quote:
... I saw that although my table was dead flat the subplatter was not and it is just too flimsy. I am totally getting the subplatter upgrade for my p6. For some reason Herbie's isocups and balls isolate sterilize the sound and I don't like em under my table.

I think that if our TTs aren't getting the spin of the record right to start with that we have no chance of attaining sublime playback regardless of what else we may do.  Next, if induced vibration isn't effectively dealt with -- same result.  I have a hunch that any visco-elastic footer will impart its own vibrational signature to the playback and color the sound in unpredictable ways.  Once you get the spin and vibrational stuff under control what you hear is what's on the record.  After that I guess it's up to the downstream equipment to "tune the sound."  (Over simplified version!)

I've done things backwards with my TT.  Only after significantly upgrading my cart have I attacked the induced vibration issue (didn't know I had one).  It's worked out since now I can really hear the new cart although I bet I'd like my old one better now then before.

I don't have any data to back this up but it's what I hear and what makes sense to me at this point.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/18/16 at 18:13:01

I agree Archie and even though it's never part of the plan trouble shooting with all this gear does help with problem solving skills. It's cool that there are so many different paths to finding, fixing and enhancing the listening experience.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 01/22/16 at 20:48:31

Okay, went to storage and came back with a box of tubes. Very different set in now:

0ld RCA bottle type 5Y3 tube
Bottle style RCA OA3
Amperex orange globe 12AX7 in front position
Raytheon 12AX7 in middle position
Siemens 12AU7 (still can't unseat this one, it's got the right warmth)

This complement is just a tad bright, but that's lessening. It has dynamics and a very open sound, lots of vivid imaging.  I am going to try to try to leave this complement in a while. I have one more Amperex 12AX7 I may try in the middle position soon.

I'm back to using TAD KT66. . . just can't take those Russian coin base ones at the moment (and got the quad from Russia in the mail, so two quads!)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 01/25/16 at 19:52:11

Well, I did some more rolling and I'm going to stop for now with this complement:

Siemens 12AU7
Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7 middle position
Amperex Orange pring 12AX7 front position

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 01/26/16 at 22:00:01

One change, and it's been a good one so far.

Telefunken 12AU7
Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7 middle position
Amperex Orange printing 12AX7 front position

The Telefunken in the place of the Siemens has meant a loss of a bit of warmth and bass weight, but an increase in 3Dimensionality and inner detail. Which has led to nice dynamic contrast as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 02/09/16 at 15:47:27

Okay, I went back to the Siemens and now I'm alternating with an Amperex 12AU7 . . . I like aspects of both, and there's a cool factor having all Amperex . . . but the Siemens has an endearing warmth that is missed by any other tube and really helps a lot of the material to shine.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 02/26/16 at 20:34:45

Did one last final spell of tube rolling and now I'm sticking a fork in it for a while because it sounds so so good!

'fifties RCA 5V4G
Sylvania OB3 (changing to an 0B3 from an 0A3 was a wise move)
Seimens 12AU7
Two Amperex 12AX7s

Just the right balance between tone and texture. God I love the ZP3!

Also. . . I gave a few records a second wash in the Spin Clean and they are dead quiet when they were crackling a bit before. The Spin Clean
has truly been a good investment, it has amazed me at how restorative it is for my old records.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 04/02/16 at 01:11:58

been driving myself crazy because something was not right with the vinyl rig. forgot that i had put in a crappy mid 80's rca 5751 in the front 12ax7 as an experiment...dont bother. Went back to my early 60's 12ax7 Mazda Cifte pair beautiful sound just right combination of sparkle and air.
celebrating with Thad Jones on blue note...delicious

JD

IP Logged
AH
Verified Member

Reply #78 - 04/21/16 at 10:51:56

Apologies for jumping in on this subject with a slightly unrelated posting but I am hoping that someone may find this useful if you have not followed my self build ZP3 saga on the forum. As this is connected to ZP3 tube rolling I felt that it may be good to post it here:

Here is the bit about tube rolling....

"Initially I had some used Mullard ECC 83's whilst I was proving that I could make the ZP3. These sounded pretty good but lacked sparkle (it could be that they were past their best of course!). In the meantime I had read that some people have had good results with Russian 6n2p-EV (Voshkod Rocket brand) valves, so I brought a few to try.
The only problem with using these in a ZP3 is that the heater wiring differs from that on 12AX7's and ECC 83's. To solve this I ordered some extension valve bases (eBay) and I have reworked these to suit.
For any one interested in this, it is a case of removing pin 5 from the bottom of the extension and connecting the position where the valve sits on pin 5 across to pin 9. This needs to be done as the 6n2p-EV does not have an internal centre heater connection to pin 9 (ground on a ZP3) only a screen.
The resulting improvement is very good, bigger sound stage and more "sparkle". Worth a try if anyone is feeling brave in my opinion."

Anyway apologies again for jumping in, hopefully my comments are informative.

All the best

AH

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 03/30/17 at 16:05:43

Folks, I'm working on an Amperex "Electronics For Medicine" 1968 12AX7.  Anyone tried one?  I would think that it's identical to a well matched 1968 orange globe 12AX7.  I've tried 1959 and 1961 that are different change code versions...this is I65.  Really not sure what it's worth but tube dealers seem to think they are Gold...at least they price them that way. Any comment would be appreciated. Mark.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 04/23/17 at 21:39:25

I've had my ZP3 almost a year now and recently have done some tube rolling. This is what I've found based on my system and room. The bolded tubes are what I have found to sound the best.

Rectifier
Mullard GZ32
RCA 5Y3GT
RCA 5V4G

Regulators
Sylvania 0A3
RCA OA3

12AX7
Amperex Bugle Boy
Amperex Medical Grade
RCA Black Plate
Raytheon Black Plate

12AU7
RCA 5814WA
Siemens E82CC

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #81 - 09/01/17 at 02:52:04

Hello all,

Got some NOS NIB tubes as follows for the ZP3.

RCA mid 60's 12AX7A for the first two positions.

Brimar, mid 60's NOS NIB cryoed CV4003 for the 12AU7 position.

Holy Shit Batman !     What else can I say ?

These tubes, in the ZP3, I'm done and happy.

this is music, pure and simple.

Try these tubes, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Cheers,                       Crazy Bill

IP Logged
back2vinyl

Reply #82 - 02/06/18 at 03:45:10

How much this set up cost and where did you get them?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 06/08/18 at 15:37:04

After being pleased with a Tungsram 12AU7 I`ve gone all in and ordered a pair of Tungsram 12AX7`s. They have a red code on them as well,  and  M2  dating them from `65. NOS in boxes.
Most I`ve ever paid for signal tubes @ $169 the pair.
I`ll write back on how they perform.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 06/24/18 at 18:43:27

The Tungsram 12AX7`s are very good. With a new job and the World cup I`ve had about 7 hours on them but they are pre burned in apparently. More sophisticated than my previous sound which was from two of anything basically. I have several NOS ( and some used ) AX7`s and a pair of Sylvania x3 micas. Anyway the Tungstrams are the best combo by a way. Very fluidy guitars ( J J Cale has transformed into a super delicate player ). Yes, just a more sophisticated, quality presentation all round. More airy as well. It all makes for better performance from the players. Guess I`m getting into the emotional connect territory so it`s a step up. Very pleased I bought them.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 07/05/18 at 16:52:21

It looks like Syd tried a 12AT7 in his 12AU7 spot and it blew one of the 12AX7 tubes. He wasn't sure if it was directly related, or a cause. Has anyone else given this a shot? It seems at some point the 12AT7 was listed by Steve as a sub...

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 07/05/18 at 17:04:01

I have never tried it but I would ask Steve before doing it.  There are plenty of 12AU7s, 12AX7s and their equivalents available.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #87 - 01/27/19 at 15:09:13

I’m resurrecting this thread. Now that I have an acceptable TT and cart, I’m to the point that I want to get more serious about tube selection. I’m very happy with the NOS RCA 5Y3GT rectifier.

What about the voltage regulator and V1-3?

Thanks in advance!

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 02/04/19 at 16:06:38

I've tried OA3, C3 & D3 tubes and various ax7's and au7's.  Def. leave v3 an au7 as it is a buffer tube and used for it's low output imp. compared to the ax7.  In the v3 spot I  like a ~60's Organ relabeled tube (Conn, Baldwin, etc).    For the ax7's  I'm currently running a new prod. Genelex B759 (long plate ax7) in v2  and a NOS GE in v1.     I have switched around a lot between various ax7's.   It is def. worth purchasing from a trusted reseller that has the ability to noise grade the ax7's.      Switching the regulator tubes will alter the plate voltage on V1,2,3.  I found it best to listen and evaluate the ax7's first then once I found what suited my tastes I would roll the A,C,D regs and re evaluate.     Also keep in mind that various rectifiers will/can significantly alter the plate voltages as well.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 07/05/19 at 22:01:29

I was looking for 12AU7 advice for the ZP3 and based on early posts in this old thread I bought what looks like a NOS triple mica RCA 5814A.  A bit of an unknown quantity but for $17 I figured worth the risk.  I'll post again if it makes an impression.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 07/05/19 at 22:50:59

I predict you'll really like it. I didn't use it when I had a ZP3, but it's the best tube I've heard in my ZROCK2s.

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 01/25/20 at 13:59:47

I’ve been extremely happy with two Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the ZP3. Ive had a NOS Mullard 12ax7 and decided to put it in the first spot. Maybe I just needed a change but it sounded alive. It seemed to have a little more presence and shimmer. For lack of a better description... the tube magic I’m always chasing. Don’t get me wrong... the Telefunkens are great, but I might be a Mullard man. I’m going to  find one for the second spot.
I’m wondering.... when tube rolling, what’s the protocol for turning on and off and wait times? How long should I leave the amp on once I turn it on (does that even matter?) once I get into tube rolling mode, I like to swap fast and go back and fourth but don’t want to damage the amp or tubes.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #92 - 01/25/20 at 17:25:11

I understand wanting to switch fast for a good comparison while the sound is still fresh in your mind. I remember reading that Steve recommends waiting 60 seconds or so to let the electricity dissipate before pulling a tube out. After changing the tube and powering back up, I’d let it warm up for 5 minutes or so before listening.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #93 - 12/09/20 at 18:25:18

Thanks to everyone who posted here - very helpful thread for getting the best out of the ZP3. Restarting this thread to share the combo I landed on after a reasonable amount of tube rolling:

Rectifier - 50s RCA 5Y3GT

Voltage regulator - Tungsram OA3 (tighter bass, better presence, clearer mids)

12AU7 buffer - 60s UK Brimar CV4003/12AU7 (bigger soundstage, more texture throughout, tighter bass)

12AX7s - 60s US Raytheon/Baldwin black plate 12AX7A in both positions (balanced overall with clear & detailed midrange)

This combo works super well together. The Raytheon/Baldwin 12AX7As are a seriously underrated tube that is still economical for NOS matched pairs (~$60 total). It makes sense this tube would work well since organ tubes are designed to be very quiet and cover the full frequency spectrum. I also tried a 50s GE 5751WA triple mica black plate, but I personally didn’t like the decreased gain. Planning to also try a type 80 rectifier after I’ve had great results in my SE84UFO.

Garrard 401 | Hana ML | Cinemag 1254 SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8r) | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Ranger
Verified Member

Reply #94 - 12/18/20 at 17:34:26

Great thread and what a great phono preamp!
I’ve rolled countless tubes in my zp3 always chasing perfection. But I’m realizing they all sound fantastic in their own way.
I’ve currently settled on Brimar 5u4g or Cossor fat bottle cv378 for rectifier.
Westinghouse not RCA rebranded 12au7
Hitachi long plate triple mica 12ax7 in middle position
Siemens Valvo short plate 12ax7 in front position.
I was loving a full KenRad setup but they are just too microphonic and I’m constantly chasing the volume knob. Beautiful sound though.
If you’re looking for a fantastic sounding cheap rectifier I’ve had great luck with the 5C3S Svetlana flying C rectifier. They are currently selling like hot cakes. I went with the shiny black plates over the gray. Huge soundstage crystal clear but not annoyingly bright with loads and loads of detail.
Oh man, now I just want to tube roll all day.

IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #95 - 07/20/21 at 17:04:53

I’ve found an excellent tube for the middle position of the ZP3 from the guitar world - the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. This is a very neutral and clear sounding tube with full extension at both ends. It is often used in the phase inverter position of a guitar amp due to its very balanced and clear sound and can be purchased for around $20. I also tried a pair in the front and middle positions, but this was a little dry and lacked character, although extremely clear and clean sounding.

The front tube is definitely the most influential tube in the ZP3, but a wide spectrum, neutral, almost “dry” tube seems necessary for the second position in order to properly tailor the sound using the front tube. I’m now using a Raytheon/Baldwin 12AX7a in the front position, sovtek in the middle, and 1960s French Mazda 12AU7 in the 3rd spot. The combo is pretty killer! By far the best of my extensive tube rolling and extremely dynamic

Garrard 401 | Hana ML | Cinemag 1254 SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8r) | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #96 - 05/06/22 at 18:08:32

Hi everyone,

I would like to sincerely thank everyone on this thread for all of the invaluable information shared.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

I am currently using a 0.5mv cartridge (1.4 ohm DCR) with a 20x SUT and it sounds absolutely fantastic in my current set up. My current phono stage is set to +40db (it's minimum gain setting). But, I do think that +36 to +38db would provide a better sonic experience with a bit more headroom for the most dynamic peaks.

I have a ZP3 on the way (hopefully before year end) and I am worried the +42 db gain might be a bit too much.

Does anyone know a set of tube compliments for the ZP3  that would bring the overall gain down to +36db - +38db? Would swapping out both 12ax7s for 5751s reduce the gain enough?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 05/06/22 at 20:46:28

Surfer-

Read through this thread, starting at reply #8, and the next few responses following. Also, use the edit function of your browser (if it has one), 'find in page' and enter 5751, for each page in the thread. Several comments and observations on using that tube in the 12AX7 spot.

PS

What kind of music do you listen to?

IP Logged
surfers5
Verified Member

Reply #98 - 05/06/22 at 23:16:50

Hi Edsonic-

Thanks for your reply. I am lucky to be a fan of all music genres, especially when played on vinyl.

The ZP3 will be my first foray into tubes, thus I am trying to read as much as possible on this forum and others before my ZP3 arrives later this year.

If my calculations are correct, given my 0.5mv cartridge and 20x SUT, the stock tube configuration for the ZP3 should have an output of around 1.25 volts.

I guess a better way to pose my initial question is that if I would like to reduce the output of the ZP3 to be around 0.65 - 0.80 volts, is there a possible tube configuration for the ZP3 that could accomplish this lower output without negatively affecting the sound quality?

Your help and expertise is much appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 05/06/22 at 23:26:36

Your calculations seem about right given that my 0.35mV cart with a 20X step up and the ZP3 is about 1 volt.

I don't see why you are concerned.  After leaving my ZP3 at 1 volt I further step it up with the CSP3 to over 10 volts.  I then squeeze it down with my ZMA which hits maximum power at 2 volts.  The extra input voltage adds weight to the music.  Riding the gain.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print