Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 18:40:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will OB3,OC3,OD3 work to replace OA3 in ZP3? (Read 7180 times)
P K
Seasoned Member

Will OB3,OC3,OD3 work to replace OA3 in ZP3?
05/29/14 at 16:48:33

Will OB3,OC3,OD3 work to replace OA3 in ZP3?

Will the sound change and in what way?

Thanks,

Peter

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Will OB3,OC3,OD3 work to replace OA3 in
Reply #1 - 05/29/14 at 17:00:35

Pretty sure the answer is yes.  When I first got my ZP3 and Torii MK IV and was seeing what my tube rolling options were, there was a nice write up of what to expect with each one.  After reading the descriptions, I decided that the OA3 sounded like what I would prefer, so I haven't changed it since putting in NOS RCA versions in November 2013.  Not sure where the write up was...do a search.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Re: Will OB3,OC3,OD3 work to replace OA3 in ZP3?
Reply #2 - 05/29/14 at 17:22:25

In my Mini Torii I am using a pair of OC3A (blue dancing glow off the getter).

The sound is slightly better than a OA3.

Should I try it in my ZP3?

Peter

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/29/14 at 17:37:00

They all work in the Torii, and there's less and less "push" and "volume" from the lower frequencies as you go from A to B to C to D.

The Torii Mk III page mentions these tube types and their effects. I don't know where that page is any longer however.

The tubes sound different in their short straight and taller bottle-shaped versions. They can be rolled to fit room tendencies and other tubes in the complement. I used to prefer the straight bodied OA3s, then moved to bottle-shaped OA3s, and in my new home bottle-shaped OB3s work amazingly well I found a pair of Arcturus that are da bomb, RCA has previously been my brand of choice.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/29/14 at 18:04:00

Here's part of a post from Will in the past...maybe he'll comment. Mark.

PS...here's the Torii MK III manual...Tube substitutions are mentioned on page 4  https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

" Going from OA3 to OB3, OC3, and OD3 will progressively chill the bass and open the sound. In this case, I might go extreme and try some nice OD3 VRs. They are generally pretty cheap and make a big difference by calming down the power tubes I believe. I have used 40s and 50s Hytrons and found them very nice, but others from that period are probably good too."

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print