Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:32:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Connecting subwoofer to SE84CKCS (Read 7971 times)
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Connecting subwoofer to SE84CKCS
05/27/14 at 07:07:04

Hello SuperZen users, I just bought a Velodyne Minivee subwoofer for use with my SE84CKCS. My mains are going to be the Traps that I just ordered a few days ago. I was wondering what route/method of connection is the best and most seamless for bass integration with the SE84CKCS? I'm just planning ahead...thanks.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Connecting subwoofer to SE84CKCS
Reply #1 - 05/27/14 at 17:34:25

I think in the past Steve has recommended just going speaker wire to the sub-woofer assuming it has those kind of inputs.

If the subwoofer has a high-pass filter and you want to filter out the LFO to keep from pounding those traps, then you'd have to go through the subwoofer first, probably through the RCA inputs.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/30/14 at 04:05:20

Thanks Lonely Raven, those dials and connections in the back of most subs are making more sense now. Because I don't have a preamp right now, I will be using the speaker level inputs anyways. Also, after some more research I have returned the Velodyne Minivee and bought the SVS SB 1000 instead. SVS was the better value and had slightly better LFE with a great sub brand reputation as well.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 05/30/14 at 05:03:15

Both are good brands with great gear, but I think the SVS is typically a better value. Looking at a picture of the sub, the speaker line in is probably best.

Keep in mind, if it does have a crossover on the line-level input that can filter out the low frequency and pass everything else, that would make your SE84 more efficient as it wouldn't have to work as hard reproducing those low frequencies. If you use the speaker line input, you're simply adding bass to what's already there with the traps.

The advantage of that high level speaker input is long runs would be less damaging to the sound compared to running through really long interconnects.

kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/30/14 at 07:23:35

My problem right now is that my MHDT Pagoda DAC only have one set of RCA output jacks. With this in mind, how would I be able to use the line level inputs on the SVS sub because the line level approach seems to maximize both the amp and speakers abilities? So far I've been planning on just focusing on the speaker level inputs and playing around until there's a seamless match between mains and sub.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 05/30/14 at 12:41:26

*if* your sub did a high-pass filter on the RCA outputs so your amp wouldn't have to work so hard - you would go RCA out of the source, *through* the sub, so the Zen.

If your sub doesn't have that kind of cross-over on the RCA, then simply run speaker level and don't worry about it. Focus on finding the best placement and blending it in with your mains.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print