Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:43:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SUBDUDE FROM AURALEX REALLY WORKS: (Read 6247 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

SUBDUDE FROM AURALEX REALLY WORKS:
05/21/14 at 15:14:24

Recently I purchased some maple equipment platforms from Mapleshade in an effort to better isolate my gear from room vibrations. The improvement in overall Focus was well worth the investment in my case.

This led me to further research vibration control and I eventually ran across the Auralex "Subdude" subwoofer isolation platform mentioned  in a recent Sound & Vision issue.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude_hd.asp

Auralex claims that subs sitting on or spiked to the floor transmit a lot of energy to the floor causing the floor to act more or less as a passive radiator. I have a typical suspended wood floor in my listening room and always assumed the floor vibrations were caused primarily by the air pressure waves produced my my Mains, twin HSU ULS-15" Subs and twin HSU Mid Bass Modules.

As an experiment I took my down firing Mid Bass Modules that were firing directly into my wood flooring and stacked them on top of my HSU Subs. This eliminated about 50% of the floor vibrations and further improved sound stage Focus by no small margin.

So yesterday I received and installed a Subdude HT isolation platform under each of my subs. I had experienced such a big improvement in overall soundstage focus by simply stacking my Mid Bass Modules I have to admit my expectations were pretty low that any significant improvements were left to be had. WOW was I wrong !!!!!

In my room the Subdude makes a big difference. The difference was not just in the low end, improvements were across the entire spectrum. After about an hour of listening I went online and ordered two additional Subdude II platforms to install on top of each sub to isolate my Mid Bass Modules and Subs from each other. I'll let you know how that works out.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: SUBDUDE FROM AURALEX REALLY WORKS:
Reply #1 - 05/23/14 at 13:43:19

Was listening last night for about 4 hours with a Subdude isolation platform under each of my Subs and Mid Bass Modules. All I can say is if you are on a suspended floor using a Sub and or Mid Bass Module the Subdude is a Must Have room treatment tweak.

I'm shocked how much energy was being transferred into the floor via the feet of my Subs's & MBM's. All were floating on my wood floor using 1-1/2" diameter spike disks with heavy felt pads on the bottom. So it's not like they were coupled directly to the floor with spikes.

My equipment rack is now virtually vibration free at any volume which was never the case before. If you have any vibration in your equipment rack then it is likely coming up from the floor based on the results I have experienced. Even if you don't have a sub but are experiencing a muddy low end on some recordings then for the price it would be worth trying these platforms under the mains.

For me it's been like driving down the road listening to the car stereo with the windows cracked open. Close the windows (install the Subdudes) and instantly there is more clarity & focus. Not just on the low end but across the board. The immediate impression is one of Less overall Bass but it becomes clear pretty quick that it's just better more precise bass that does not get into the way of the rest of the music.

Recordings that always tended to be a bit congested on the low end are transformed. The Kiss Alive CD was always a bit too muddy for me to enjoy. Last night I listened to it 3 times back to back. The drums, bass and vocals were separate and distinct like I had never heard before. It wasn't transformed into an audiophile quality recording but it was now interesting and fun.

The Smashing Pumpkins bass tends to drown out the vocals on most tracks. With the platforms installed the bass is tight and the vocals crisp & audible.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/14 at 23:13:02

I'm really low tech here ... using those felt furniture pads (that go under sofa legs) to decouple if from the floor.  I would say they are probably not in the same league Grin

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/27/14 at 03:02:12

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/14 at 00:49:43

Quote:
I'm really low tech here ... using those felt furniture pads (that go under sofa legs) to decouple if from the floor.  I would say they are probably not in the same league

I was using the same "felt furniture pads" under spike disks on my subs & mid bass modules. The difference between felt pads and using the Subdude's is a night & day difference. I never would have thought that much energy could be transmitted through the felt pads into the floor if I had not heard the difference myself.

DBC   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print