Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:41:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Record & Playback Amplifiers (Read 5764 times)
darrwood

Record & Playback Amplifiers
05/14/14 at 04:37:26

Someone gave me a Sony sra 3 Does anyone know if it is of high enough quality to be useful?

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: The eBay Guide to Tape purchasing
Reply #1 - 05/14/14 at 13:37:46

As long as it plays 7.5 and/or 15 ips and the heads are not too worn you should be good to go.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 05/14/14 at 20:36:34

I've actually heard of the Sony SRA 3!

It's a tube preamp for the early Sony tape decks. It's known for being really easy to run into distortion and needing mods to be made into a good preamp. The distortion is how I know about it...some guitar players used to take these (as they are really inexpensive) and overdrive the snot out of them for a tube distorted guitar effect.

If you get a good R2R deck, it would have a quality XLR output and the SRA 3 wouldn't be terribly useful to you without modification.

That said, I might be interested in purchasing it off you to try out with my guitars! PM me if you feel like passing it on. Otherwise (assuming it even works), it can't hurt to try it out in some capacity in your stereo setup - just expect that distortion I mentioned to come on pretty easily.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/13/14 at 00:23:33

Has anyone purchased from The Tape Head sales and service in Appleton Wisconsin. They have quite a few Otari MX5050's and sell on ebay. Craig Detert - Sales Manager there says they're given the top to bottom check up and are in perfect working order when shipped out. That sounds nice but he sounds a little like a used car salesman on the phone.
Lance

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print