03/28/24 at 21:29:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Visit to Zygi's (Read 1191 times)
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Visit to Zygi's
05/01/14 at 15:09:57

After speaking with Steve about Zenfest the other day, he recommended that I give Zygi a call up in NC, not too far from where I live. I made some arrangements with Bob, loaded up my Taboo and headed up there at a time when he had some newly finished HDT's with well broken in drivers. After graciously inviting me in, we looked at the shop and went into the sound room. I was impressed with the sound quality as we talked, but when the music came to life, all I can say was that I was simply awestruck with what came out of the HDT's. It actually took my breath away. I am very used to dynamic, sharp sound reproduction, but the life and presence and musicality that I was experiencing was something I had never before heard. Zygi was nice enough to shuffle around other pieces of equipment and next, we listened to a new project, which is essentially a double DNA. Incredible! The tall slender cabinet was exciting to look at, and as well, the sound was truly impressive. To finish off, we hooked up the HR-1's and I was blown away. I can truly say that in all my years of listening to music through stereo equipment, I have never heard anything like them. The highs, lows, mids were all seemed precise and accurate for sure, but the only way I can describe the experience was life like and dynamic. The spatial presence of the soundstage was something totally new to me .......... a new experience after years of listening.
Thanks Bob, for the hospitality and for schooling me on how good reproduced music can sound.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Visit to Zygi's
Reply #1 - 05/01/14 at 15:24:16

Boxertwin (oh I love Boxer twins) --- glad you got that experience. Bob is a wonderful person and he and Steve have designed excellent speakers, and Bob's building skills are immense! I'm glad you got to hear the HR-1s; I marvel every day at mine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 05/01/14 at 19:08:17

I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the HR-1 next time I visit Steve. I've been avoiding them for fear that I *will* like them and try to sell a kidney to get one.   Tongue

Right now, I think the speakers are one of the few things in my chain that could really take it up to another level.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/01/14 at 21:00:30

HR-1s are on my dream list of speakers for sure.  Did you by chance hear the ERRx?  

I'm trying to get a feel between the HR-1 and ERRx, i.e. do the ERRx get you close to what the HR-1s can do or are we talking a whole different level for the more expensive of the two?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/01/14 at 21:05:58

Boxertwin,

Thanks for the story. It must be truly amazing to hear the speakers in the room they are tuned in!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 05/01/14 at 23:10:13

It is a strange coincidence that the only reason I don't have a pair of HR-1's is because of a boxer twin. Stupid BMW's eat all of my time and money.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/01/14 at 23:14:53

What I loved about my Boxer twins is. . . one major thing was they were so dependable and they didn't cost me a lot. But these were 'seventies and 'eighties models.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mestrear
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 05/04/14 at 22:11:10

I was fortunate enough to purchase a pair of HDT's which I had Bob build a little over a year ago and which Bob wrote about in a column in Feb 2013.  My amps are 2A3 powered 1.5 WPC and the combination with these speakers is almost unbelievable.  Highly recomended!
Mike Strear

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/05/14 at 00:13:15

I love mine.  Though I think the 945 w horn cabinets sounded better paired with the ZMA at decfest.  I do love that the HDTs are such high efficiency and crossover less. Extremely clear. (brutal for bad recordings)

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/05/14 at 20:34:22

I did not hear the ERRX and I dont really know much about them. However, the new project that is essentially two DNA's with one inverted and mounted on top of the other was pretty cool. The sound was darned impressive and got me interested in them. There is a 5" woofer on each side (top and bottom) that is rear horn loaded via the DNA geometry. Bob, correct me if Im wrong, but there is a planar tweeter mounted between the two. Darned impressive listening experience. I dont know how fine tuned they were, but they sounded gooood. We listened to them with an older Torii amp. Nice..........

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/05/14 at 20:36:07

Oh, the boxertwins........... now that is a different type of music. Still in stereo, though.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #11 - 05/06/14 at 14:26:54

Hi Mike good to hear from you again....

Randy, yes there was a planer tweeter in between.  I only wish you could have been here the following night when I was even shocked myself at how good everything sounded. In fact I'm still trying wrap my head around what I am hearing.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/14 at 20:36:12

@ Zygi, any chance you have a picture or two of the new design ... I'm a visual kind of guy Grin

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #13 - 05/13/14 at 15:44:51

Beowulf, sure as soon as I get the room put back together, I'll shoot a pic.

My listening room buddy (the cat) had a stroke and made just a wee bit of a mess. And no he didn't survive. The mess did however!!!

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/13/14 at 20:19:56

Ahh, sorry to hear about that!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,