04/25/24 at 23:19:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Axpona 2014 (Read 31479 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Axpona 2014
04/24/14 at 20:20:58

Ace reporters Lonely Raven and Palomino will be attending Axpona in Chicago this Saturday.

We'll try to get a good listen to the Direct Stream DAC and report our findings here on the forum.  Anything else we should give a listen to?

http://www.axpona.com/exhibitors.asp

I have my list of rooms to visit.  Mostly tube amp/horn/single driver manufacturers (my interests).  We'll go to some of the over the top rooms as well.  Also, there is a tape demo and some rooms with tape players that we'll visit too.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Axpona 2014
Reply #1 - 04/24/14 at 22:24:25

I'm more of the Peter Parker photographer than a reporter, but yeah, what he said. It helps that we have similar interests so his list is my list.

I'm also curious if anyone will be showing off magic bells or little stones or cupcakes or some such.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/14 at 00:37:23

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts or seeing pictures of the following items/rooms.

Marten - room 315
Aesthetix - room 1234, O'Hare 1 or O'Hare 2 (12th floor)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/25/14 at 00:54:01

Any background on these rooms?  Or are you trying not to bias the reporters?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/14 at 01:02:23

About as close to the cupcakes as I saw last year was the fuses which I actually believe make a difference.  Afterwards Steve humorously discussed taping them to a certain part of his anatomy so I guess that gives us an idea of where he stands.

Mostly it's higher or high end equipment.  I think the lowest end room I visited was Onkyo and their system was just under $10k.  Peach tree has a room that is more on the low end.  Other than that think $10k set amps, ss amps as big as coolers, $30k horns and such.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/14 at 01:03:26

My buddy and I will also be there on Sat.  As HST once said, "buy the ticket, take the ride".   Let me know if you guys want to meet up for a beer and compare notes.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/25/14 at 01:45:11

If Ayre Acoustics is showing, I would appreciate taking some notes on their:

1. Ayre QB-9DSD USB DAC

2. Ayre DX-5 DSD

Also if you haven't heard the AURALiC Vega DSD DAC/Preamp ~ you may want to check that out (if they are there).  IMO that player will give the PS Audio DSD DAC a run for its money.

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/25/14 at 01:58:59

The AURALIC Dac is on my list of gear to hear and they will be there.  

Unfortunately, Ayre will not be participating.  I was hoping to hear their SS amps w/o negative feedback.  The Ayre DAC's would have been interesting too.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/25/14 at 06:19:10

Quote:
Dave1210 said,
The AURALIC Dac is on my list of gear to hear and they will be there.  

Unfortunately, Ayre will not be participating.  I was hoping to hear their SS amps w/o negative feedback.  The Ayre DAC's would have been interesting too.

Ah, bummer.  I actually heard Ayre's MX-R mono blocks this afternoon pushing a pair of Wilson Sasha's, it was solid state done right maybe one of the best solid state setups I've ever heard (and for the crazy price it better be).  Their K-5xe mp Preamplifier (Stereophile Class A rated) is excellent too and fairly reasonable on the used market.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/14 at 12:51:05

Quote:
Posted by: Palomino      Posted on: Yesterday at 16:54:01
Any background on these rooms?  Or are you trying not to bias the reporters?

Posted by: busterfree      Posted on: Yesterday at 16:37:23
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts or seeing pictures of the following items/rooms.

Marten - room 315
Aesthetix - room 1234, O'Hare 1 or O'Hare 2 (12th floor)

Marten and Aesthetix are on my fantasy wish list of audio gear. Just interested in other opinions after looking at the list of vendors. I wish I could go, but I can't.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/27/14 at 13:56:02

Our Axpona experience overall was a good one.  A few comments below...

It was in a new hotel this year, which was better than the old hotel.  More spacious, had an auditorium for the seminars, a bigger room for the audio marketplace, etc.  The hotel "listening" rooms were about the same.  3rd and 4th floor mostly had regular rooms.  12th floor had the bigger rooms with higher ceilings and the big suites.

A lot of the demo rooms were overwhelmed by bass.  Pretty tough to control in that small a space.  I think there were more rooms with treatments this year.  Some even had corner bass traps.

Our primary goal was to listen to the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.  I address those observations in the PS Audio thread.

Unfortunately, we did not get to hear the Aurilac DAC.  That was in a room where the main attraction was turntables and both times we were there they were spinning records.

We did get to hear the Marten speakers and they really sounded great.  Very fast and detailed.  Good balance.  The room was set up well and sounded good.  These were one of my favorites, if not my favorite in the "reasonable sized speaker" category.  But, they are also $32K.

My favorite "reasonably priced" speaker was the Zu Druid.  These are around $5-$6K, 101db, sounded fast, detail, crisp bass and imaged really well.  Much better than some other high dollar speakers we listened to and the room was completely bare.  Not an absorber to be found.  Also, the system was lower end compared to most others.  A Peachtree combo unit and a Mac laptop.  I could see where some people might be concerned that these would be too aggressive, but when the guy kicked in the tube on the Peachtree pre section of the amp, you could see where tubes could mellow these guys out a bit.

My other standout speakers were the Martin Logans.  I am not sure which model, but they had a separate woofer and mid/tweeter panels.  Unfortunately, the guy running the room was an obnoxious carnival barker type and talked more and played music less.  Also impressive was the room correction software in the MacIntosh amp he was demoing.

I expected to like the Janzen floor standers David was demoing more.  (David is a nice guy and seems to be a class act, BTW).  They just sounded thin.  It could have been the recording or I could have been where I was sitting or something because they did improve when I moved to the back of the room.  The bookshelves he later demo'd sounded pretty good both in the front and the back of the room.   Unfortunately, they were only 85 db.  Sorry I didn't get the model numbers, but its his latest offerings on both speakers.

The $40K Sanduri Acoustic horns were fun.  Very impractical due to their size, but I thought they sounded good.

I also like the Volti horns, but again, way out of my price range.

We also saw a couple of rooms with tape decks.  I definitely see the potential of tapes.  Certainly the most "real" recordings I heard all day.  Raven picked up a few tapes at the marketplace (mostly for the nice aluminum reels).

The room treatment seminar we attended offered good information, but I didn't pick up a ton of new information.  It mainly helped me to reinforce or explain more fully what I already knew.  It was good to see EQ Wizard demo'd.

Anyway, that's it for now.  Raven may have some more comments when he comes back on line.

I can say that once again, I came home, fired up my system and feel I have audio show quality at a fraction of the price.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/27/14 at 15:18:22

Sounds like it was a fun excursion!

I'm looking forward to the DirectStream. My ZP3 is saying "Come on sucker, I bet I can best ya!" We'll see! Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 04/27/14 at 20:49:53

Palomino summed it up very well. We listen a lot alike, so his write-up is spot on with what I'd say.

I'd add that, as he said, lots of rooms were spinning vinyl - all the high end rooms in fact were vinyl, and the DACs seemed like an afterthought. The exception was the occasional reel to reel, which pleased me greatly. I think it's great that Palomino got to hear some tapes played through nice gear, but I did not hear anything nearly as good and with as much impact as Steve's Otari deck playing studio and radio masters via his Monoblocks to MG-945. I'd honestly put that setup against $50k-$100k systems and only the highest end systems would come close. Granted, Steve's listening room is better than hotel rooms, but I'd still give it the Pepsi challenge.

I heard some fantastic speakers this weekend, and while I'm happy with my MG-944, I know I want something a little higher end to match up to my ZMA someday, so I'm keeping my eyes open.

I didn't see as much douchbaggery as I expected, in fact most people were pretty nice, though a couple of the demonstrators gave me that used car salesman feel.

The high-end rooms not using the DACs seemed very shortsighted to me, it's like they aren't taking the hardware seriously yet...that they just had a DAC to say they had a DAC. The "lower end" systems all used DACs and seemed really happy with them, as I was of the sound they were getting.

All in all, I'd say my system, even in this less than desirable room setup would easily keep up with most of what I heard there. The really high end speakers just killed though. I hope to find something that's a big step up from the MG-944, but not at $32k! I'm positive my ZMA topped most (if not all) of the amps there; I heard some great sound, but nothing really like the ZMA in richness along with accuracy.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/28/14 at 04:09:02

Below are a few systems that stood out to me (doesn’t include the obvious super expensive systems, Sonus Faber/Audio Research, etc).  

Acoustic Zen Crescendo mkii speakers driven by triode japan TRX-845 mono block tube amps (using either 845 or 211 tubes...neither of which I have ever heard of before) sounded very musical.  Tone and timbre were excellent and I found the presentation to be very engaging.  The room was bad, maybe even awful (very small, no bass traps), and I still enjoyed the music, so I can only imagine what this system would sound like in a treated room.  I would love to hear the ZMA paired up with these speakers.  Too bad they are 10x the cost of the 944’s.  $16,500.

The Venture system was excellent.  We were surprised more people weren’t in the room at any one time, but maybe it was because it was a bit off the beaten path (near the Starbucks).   The system sounded very natural and lively. Tone was incredible.  At one point I really thought someone was playing a saxophone in the room.  Speaking of the room, they were in a huge room and they had the system pulled out into the middle of the room.  It was a 2.1 system and the sub integrated seamlessly.  Drums sounded particularly natural and lively.  At one point we were listening to Dave Brubeck’s ‘Take 5’ and it was the best reproduction of this track that I have heard.  The drum hits were spectacular.  The speakers will only set you back $36K and they were being driven by 200 watt Venture class A monoblocks that will set you back 120K.  Geeze.  

I was very impressed by the Legacy Aeris speakers.  We stopped into the Legacy room for a quick listen late Saturday (they were playing the Whisper XD’s) and the sound was intriguing enough to stop back on Sunday.  Of the 3 Legacy speakers we heard (Focus SE, Whisper and Aeris) I definitely preferred the Aeris.  The Air Motion tweeters are awesome--incredible air and detail.  At first I thought they might get fatiguing, but they never did.  The speakers were open, fast and had great clarity.  Impressive.  I wish the less expensive (but still expensive) Focus SE speakers sounded as good as the Aeris, but they didn’t.

Best of the Inexpensive (assuming you can call $8500 for a system inexpensive, but compared to most everything else, it was definitely inexpensive)
-Zu Audio Druid mk5 driven by Peahtree nova 220se.  The Zu’s were clear, dynamic, lively.  Bass that hit you in the chest.  This was a fun room.  We spent a lot of time in this room because they were playing real music (all the audiophile stuff gets old after a while).  The Zu guys were knowledgeable, fun, knew about Decware and handed over the iPad and let us dj for a while.  Good stuff.  I could definitely live with the system they had in that room.

Worst of the Inexpensive
-Rega room (small and congested sound)
-Focal Chorus/Yamaha Receiver/VPI Nomad system (reminded me of something you would hear at BestBuy)

Worst of the Expensive
-Wilson Alexia? Speakers being driven by Dan Agostino electronics.  The room was so small and the bass so ridiculous that this truly was a waste.  I would have preferred to just look at the Agostino gear.  

Biggest Surprises
-I expected more of these super expensive systems to have better soundstage depth.  I feel like I can count on 1 hand the systems that had good depth
-I expected to be more wowed by R2R tape
-I expected to leave thinking I really need to get a vinyl front end setup. In general, I wasn’t impressed with the vinyl rigs at the show.  The one vinyl rig that did stand out was in the Room 1234 system.  It was a Clear Audio turntable, AMG tonearm and I can’t remember the cartridge.  
-I didn’t expect to see horn speakers in the Merrill Audio room.  Extremely high power class D monoblocks powering super efficient horns???
-I expected the sweetspot to be larger in the MBL rooms with the radial drivers.  

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/28/14 at 04:26:23

Unfortunately, the guy running the room was an obnoxious carnival barker type and talked more and played music less.

Couldn't agree more about this dude.  Geeze.

I expected to like the Janzen floor standers David was demoing more.  (David is a nice guy and seems to be a class act, BTW).  They just sounded thin.  It could have been the recording or I could have been where I was sitting or something because they did improve when I moved to the back of the room.  The bookshelves he later demo'd sounded pretty good both in the front and the back of the room.   Unfortunately, they were only 85 db.  Sorry I didn't get the model numbers, but its his latest offerings on both speakers.

I wanted to like the JansZen's more than I did.  We went back to the room on Sunday just to double check.  They were impressive on some recordings, but on others not so much.  Dare I say that they were a little too detailed and hot?  I want the clarity, but I also need to be able to listen to non-audiophile music on my system without cringing.  I was surprised how well the drivers integrated (electrostat + dynamic), and they can put out an impressive amount of tightly controlled bass.  I think I came to the conclusion that it would be difficult for me to live with that system long term.  Maybe with different amplification it would be more tolerable.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/28/14 at 12:34:47

Great write up.  Sounds like you were able to spend more time there.

Sounds like we agree on the Zu's.  I was impressed.  I never realized how little physical depth there is the those speakers.  For drivers that large I expected them to be 20" deep or something.

I also have to agree with you on the soundstage depth.  Most speakers were only a few feet from the wall.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/28/14 at 21:07:58

Quote:
Dave1210 said,
I was very impressed by the Legacy Aeris speakers.  We stopped into the Legacy room for a quick listen late Saturday (they were playing the Whisper XD’s) and the sound was intriguing enough to stop back on Sunday.  Of the 3 Legacy speakers we heard (Focus SE, Whisper and Aeris) I definitely preferred the Aeris.  The Air Motion tweeters are awesome--incredible air and detail.  At first I thought they might get fatiguing, but they never did.  The speakers were open, fast and had great clarity.  Impressive.  I wish the less expensive (but still expensive) Focus SE speakers sounded as good as the Aeris, but they didn’t.

Wow, the specs make them look very tube friendly.  Looks like some serious engineering went into that crossover design as well (although I could care less for the Blue LED to illuminate it) ~ they must be pretty proud of it to want to light it up in that fashion Grin

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/28/14 at 22:25:32

Legacy Aeris
Sensitivity: (Room, dB@ 2.83V/1m) 95.4 dB

4 ohms = 2 watts;  +3 dB
in room with 2 speakers:  + 1.5 - 3 dB

@90 dB 1w/1m ?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/28/14 at 22:37:45

Well then maybe not when the math is done Grin

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/28/14 at 23:37:17

A still have a few more things to share about Axpona, and will share in blocks:

I really enjoyed the Sony room.  They had their top of the line speakers in the room ($30K) and they were being driven by Rogue Audio monoblocks ($15K).  This system had very good depth (one of the few).  The speakers were pulled out from the back wall a little bit, but I don’t remember seeing any room treatments, so overall very impressive for the conditions.  The sound was detailed, airy, musical and smooth (they played a few non-audiophile tracks and it was very listenable). Sony has apparently stepped it up quite a bit.  It’s too bad these speakers are so expensive.  They really did sound excellent.  

I don’t know if this is a stretch or not, but I think there are similarities between the Aerial Acoustic 7T’s ($10K) and the Sony SS AR-1’s ($30K).  It would be interesting to A/B these speakers.  The Sony’s may go lower, but that certainly wouldn’t be worth an additional $20K.  I could be way off on my hypothesis because the 7T’s weren’t at the show and it has been a while since I have heard them, but I am putting it out there.

One other thing to note about the Sony room was they were using their new HAP Z1 ES HI Res music player ($2K) as the source.  I couldn’t say for sure that it sounded good, but they seemed comfortable using it as a source for their flagship speakers.  Oddly enough, the DSD Remastering Engine sounds quite similar to what PS Audio is using in the Direct Stream.  See below:

DSD Remastering Engine

This ideal D/A conversion system combines a high-performance DSP and FPGA (field programmable gate array) to convert all signals to 128 FS DSD signals. It was designed based on know-how garnered from Sony’s direct 8-times oversampling and Extended SBM (Super Bit Mapping) technology for professional recorders.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #20 - 04/28/14 at 23:43:16

Yes, the Sony does upconvert to DSD128, but I don't think it really messes with the timing/jitter like the DirectStream. It also has some shortocomings as to how  you can connect and server your music to it. If it had as many options as my Oppo, but better interface/software than the Oppo - I'd be switching. As it is, I find that unit too limiting.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/28/14 at 23:59:22

@ LR,

Yep. I agree ... you have to load your music on it before it wil play it back.  A big downside IMO as I have an NAS that I stream from and prefer to use JRiver to catalog and playback my music as my interface.  Perhaps they will release a straight DAC version in the future.  

I guess it would be OK "if" I didn't already own a PC/NAS combo in my 2 channel system "and" I didn't plan on getting such a combo in the future.  But after owning a PC in my 2 channel stereo and home theater playback chain I would never go without one again as I like surfing and listening to my music at the same time.  And the NAS forget about it ... I can access music from anywhere in my home that has a PC, Xbox, Tablet or Smart Phone and each bedroom has at least a PC and JRiver software.  So it's an all around great feature that I wouldn't want to give up.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/29/14 at 00:08:23

Thanks for the additional perspective on the Sony device guys.  I really didn't know that much about it.

And the NAS forget about it ... I can access music from anywhere in my home that has a PC, Xbox, Tablet or Smart Phone and each bedroom has at least a PC and JRiver software.  So it's an all around great feature that I wouldn't want to give up.

This does sound extremely appealing.  I have recently been looking into the NAS approach myself.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/29/14 at 00:55:35

I think you would like it quite a bit Dave once it's setup.  I think music from a PC and good DAC can rival rival most CD players that I've heard ~ not to mention the convenience factor once you get your music stored.

Although my good gear is in my living room, there are times that I'm in my bedroom (late at night, especially) and want to listen to something and I just open JRiver from my bedroom PC and my whole digital music and movie catalog is there for me (another thing about an NAS besting just a music server is that it can stream hi-res movies from it as well so we can watch movies, iisten to music, browse photos, etc. in any room).

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/29/14 at 14:22:09

Here is some of the music I Shazamed at Axpona.  It's a mixed bag but some of the cuts I like a lot and will look for the CD.  Two I like a lot are Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and These Bones.  These bones is an excellent soundstage/imaging track.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 04/29/14 at 15:01:41

Thanks for that list, Pal. I've already grabbed a couple of those albums from my regular "CD Shop", I need to grab some more when I get back home tonight. I have a couple friends over to hear how the ZMA sounds now that I've got...I don't know, 400 hours on it or something.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/29/14 at 21:33:48

Quote:
Palomino said,
also like the Volti horns, but again, way out of my price range.

What did they pair with the Volti?  Usually its Border Patrol stuff which seems pretty nice.  I saw a couple of videos from some shows in 2013 with Volti, Border Patrol and Snake River which even sounded pretty good through my computer speakers, so I'm thinking it was pretty cool in person. Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/29/14 at 21:49:13

I actually don't recall.  I think they were monoblocks.  It definitely was not what they had them paired with last year.  Sorry

Correction:  I just found this on AC:  The Voltis were powered by a Peachtree Audio integrated and had a Yamaha CD players as its source.  That was good sound.

Correction of my correction.  Found this also on AC:  Voltis were powered by a Peachtree integrated used only as a preamp into Quicksilver EL34 mono amps.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 05/01/14 at 14:07:17

Quote:
I wanted to like the JansZen's more than I did.  We went back to the room on Sunday just to double check.  They were impressive on some recordings, but on others not so much.  Dare I say that they were a little too detailed and hot?  I want the clarity, but I also need to be able to listen to non-audiophile music on my system without cringing.  I was surprised how well the drivers integrated (electrostat + dynamic), and they can put out an impressive amount of tightly controlled bass.  I think I came to the conclusion that it would be difficult for me to live with that system long term.  Maybe with different amplification it would be more tolerable.

I was at the show and I believe I know exactly what the issue was.  David likes his tweeter bias control cranked fully up.  This is why they sound thin.  I have mine dialed WAY back and I still get great high frequency clarity.  Dialing the tweeter bias down also swings frequency balance more to the bass, which I can't get enough of.  The bass is great on these speakers if you don't drown them with too much HF.  The ESL panels also become more alive in the midrange if not overpowered by HF.  I use that tweeter control with a lot of moderation.  Between that (variable) control and a 3-position bass toggle you can really control the frequency balance to your liking.

David was using a Van Alstein hybrid amp for the first time which was an improvement but he is married to digital only for the shows and seems to love those clear high notes.  I was in a hurry and with a friend so we didn't stay long to hear the music selections.  I said hi to David quickly and sat down only briefly.  He was passing one of the ESL panels around the room, which was good to see.

I liked the new stand mount speakers (which have the same controls on the back) but they were on too tall stands.  They should have been a good foot lower.  Both my friend (also a Decware customer) and I were in agreement on that point.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 05/01/14 at 17:52:04

Yeah, the sound on those speakers sounded like all the treble was being grated  through a screen door - really dry and thin. The bookshelf speakers sounded much better comparatively.

Also, I came up with this great Axpona drinking game - I was making up the rules as we walked the floors.

#1 drink anytime you see a toupee

#2 drink anytime you see someone of color (at first it was *all* old white guys - of which I guess I'm close to fitting into that catagory)

#3 drink anytime you see a youngish hipster with manly facial hair and a tube/vinyl/vintage Tee

#4 take two drinks of said hipster brought his hot, much younger girlfriend.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 05/01/14 at 19:29:49

I think there would be nobody sober after the first 15 minutes.

Maybe adjust it to be more like:

1. When you find a non-boomy room

2. Likeable guy running the room

3. Exact sweet spot seating - when you first walk into the room

3. A Paul McGowan siting

4. Exhibitor allowing you to use your thumb drive with your music

5. Tube amp under $10K

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #31 - 05/01/14 at 21:10:33

Blah, that's not controversial enough for me.  ::)

You could also add XLR cable under $550 to that list.

I got really damn tired of hearing "our entry level cable starts at $880", or "this cable is only $1679 for the half meter length"

I got a survey for Axpona today, I gave the location and layout decent marks. I honestly think I'll go again next year, for two days even, if it's at that same hotel.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 05/05/14 at 04:31:35

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram

Did you guys get a listen to Spatial Audio?

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/05/14 at 21:54:30

We did not.  Look promising though.  I built a pair of open baffle once and liked the way they sounded.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/05/14 at 22:01:39

@ Stone ... wow those look pretty cool.  Open baffle, very efficient and reasonably priced (even the Turbo upgraded version are something that a cheap guy like me could aspire to Grin).

Interesting that the same guy who sold and/or designed Emerald Physics Speakers built another pair for his new business Spatial and they do not require EQ'ing like the Emerald Physics do. Hmm, perhaps a better product all around?  

I did a couple of web searches and more than a few people/reporters notated that despite the horrible room acoustics the Spatials were a hit at and even one of the best at the Axpona show.  Considering their price of under $2K for the standard version and $2.5K for the Turbo version this is saying something.

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #35 - 05/05/14 at 22:45:10

just getting in on the thread.  yes, the martin logan guy was completely obnoxious and would not shut up.  he carried on a loud conversation with a guy on the other side of the room while he was demoing music instead  of simply walking over to talk to the guy.  
the best thing i came away with was seeing how some of the dealers set up the speakers to help deal with the room problems (in rooms that sounded good).  tried at home and solved a low frequency issue i was having with my err's.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/05/14 at 23:17:37

INteresting. What was it you did to solve the low frequency issue Tom?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/06/14 at 00:39:50

My buddy and I did get to listen to the Spacial speakers.  For background, we spent <10 minutes in the room, mainly because nothing really stood out to us (good or bad).  When we took a break for the day to discuss rooms we would go back to on Sunday, this one didn't make the cut.  I do remember asking the gentleman about the bass response specs, particularly b/c there was a lack of bass being produced (they were quoted as going into the low 40's).  Also, I wasn't familiar with the class D amps driving the speakers.

Agree that the specs might warrant additional consideration for low powered amps, but would probably be best to bring into your own room for a demo (I suppose this applies to anything).

One thing is certain, they look pretty cool and would likely be welcomed by the significant other.  

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 05/06/14 at 00:51:56

"Interesting. What was it you did to solve the low frequency issue Tom?"

From the Err use nearfield:

"I went to the axpona show.  while i did not see any decware there, i did learn some interesting ideas for speaker setup in narrow rooms.  i had been disappointed with some bass bloatiness in my errs, an out of control sound.  many of the rooms there, some that sounded really good had the speakers right on the sidewalls and angled in to the listening seat at pretty extreme angles.  my room is 12.5 by 19, so i tried this.  really cleaned up the bass and the center image and depth did not deteriorate.  just a thought for others that may have those issues.  previously i had them about 1.5 feet from the walls."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/06/14 at 17:51:36

Thanks Lin.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #40 - 05/07/14 at 03:15:34

-->  http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram  <--

hmmmm.... looks like somebody is trying to invade Hawthorne Audio territory... which BTW, if anybody's interested in open baffles... I could not recommend Hawthorne Audio more highly.... superb product and superb people to deal with Diane and Darrel are..!!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print