Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:46:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting current Super Zen to open up (Read 24757 times)
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Getting current Super Zen to open up
04/03/14 at 02:24:53

Hi all, I have maybe 100 hours on my current model Super Zen with stock tubes. Certainly the tone is nice, but the amp lacks in terms of subtle detail. I crave to hear more detail as felt pads lift from piano wires, or as a drummer "stirs the soup" with his brushes. I would also not mind hearing a bit more air between instruments and a deeper soundstage.

Question: What should I expect?

Will some of what I crave come with more hours? Would a change of tubes make a meaningful difference? If so, which tubes should I put on my wish list? Or is this just a matter of the Super Zen is a great sounding amp for the price, the sound is pretty darn good considering the price point, and my expectations are not realistic?

Thanks for any advise you may have.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Getting current Super Zen to open up
Reply #1 - 04/03/14 at 03:54:59

I don't have a Super Zen, but there are a lot of guys here who can guide you for tube rolling.  You can expect things to open up with more hours of usage (500+ seems to be a good estimate).  

From what I hear ~ the Super Zen is all about tonality and imaging with a good hit of bass, so give it some hours (500+) for burn in, however I would look into your source as a possible culprit if you aren't experiencing the micro details that you're looking for.

For example, DACs come in a few flavors ... warm and micro detailed are what comes to mind right now.  I have a Rega DAC, it falls into the warm cuddly side of things, as opposed to some of the newer DACs that focus on micro details.  The hard part is trying to find a nice balance of both.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/03/14 at 04:16:06

Tell us about your system and room

IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/03/14 at 09:42:38

Nearfield listening in a small room. 9 foot ceiling. Heavy plush carpet / pad over wood subfloor.

Omega Super 6 Monitors. They are fast and very good at imaging.

Monitors on Skyland sand-filled bases, pulled out from all walls.

Omega DeepHemp sub on spiked Maple base.

Red Wine Audio Isabellina DAC, via MacBook.

GIK Tri-corners in front. Custom bases so tri-corners cover all 9'. GIK 242 first reflection + 4 GIK Monster bass traps (3 behind and one in front of listening position). Back corners of the room are open, essentially removing corner reflections.

Listening chair nowhere near a wall, leaving listening area pretty good a minimizing reflective sound.

I’ve owned the system for several years, so I know what it’s capable of. The only thing that I’ve changed over the years has been the DAC, and now the Zen. I’ve experimented with several DACs including a Wavelength Cosecant. But I prefer the sound of NOS, so the Red Wine Audio is my preference for the money.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/03/14 at 14:27:05

Using a 6DJ8 in place of the 6N1P will supposedly give you more detail.  I'm surprised that you aren't getting enough as it is.  I've compared my Zen to at least a half a dozen other amps, tube and SS and I don't find it lacking in detail at all.  What amp have you compared it to that was more detailed?

Not sure how your subwoofer is set up, but if it has a crossover in it and you are running your signal through the sub and then the speakers, you'll obviously be losing something by doing that.

Although I'm sure you have, don't forget to play with the bias switch. In my system, it has a huge impact...I actually use it in the more laid back position.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/03/14 at 16:54:47

Q: What amp have you compared it to that was more detailed?

A: Last round was a Red Wine Audio Signature 15 with Signature 16 internal upgrades. The detail I refer to – maybe better thought of as resolution – would be fairly comparable between the Super Zen and Sig 16 equipped with stock JJ tube. But I ran mine with mid-60s Amperex 7308, and the NOS tube was a major upgrade.

Q: Not sure how your subwoofer is set up, but if it has a crossover in it and you are running your signal through the sub and then the speakers, you'll obviously be losing something by doing that.

A: Both mains and sub run in parallel via speaker output jacks, so mains and the Zen don’t know the sub exists.

Obviously Omega’s are single drivers, so the only crossover is a low-pass internal to the sub.

This config is recommended by Louis from Omega for this setup. I’ve been running it this way for a number of years, going back to Omega Compact Hemps and a Vandersteen 2W sub.

Q: Although I'm sure you have, don't forget to play with the bias switch. In my system, it has a huge impact...I actually use it in the more laid back position.

A: Yes, thank you. It does make a difference. I would need to turn the system on to make sure where it is set, but I think mine to is set to more laid back.

The first time I was able to achieve the level of resolution I describe was with a Wadia CDP, FirstWatt F1, Omega Compact Hemps / Vandersteen sub. But the sound could be brash on many recordings.

The benefit in moving to Super 6s and the newer gear is a much warmer and more organic sound signature, without giving up resolution.

Again, if more burn in or tube upgrades will help the amp to dig deeper into recordings, that would be great.

Don’t get me wrong, amp sounds extremely good for less than $1,000. But I was hoping that Zen’s minimalist design matched with a system that in theory should be an ideal partner, the Decware may be able to destroy traditional price / value barriers.

Certainly for tone it does. And the overall sound is very good. But like I said earlier, it’s still 10 cents short of a dollar in terms of resolution / imaging / size of soundstage.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/03/14 at 17:26:41

Not sure what tube assortment you are using currently but if possible I'd throw a NOS Amperex 7308 in like you had previously.  Those are my fav input tubes on my Torii III.  Details, air between and soundstage are unmatched imo.

JD

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/03/14 at 17:28:05

Also forgot to add that the Decware amps I've had seem to blossom after a couple hundred hrs.

JD

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/03/14 at 18:02:52

Quote:
Q: Although I'm sure you have, don't forget to play with the bias switch. In my system, it has a huge impact...I actually use it in the more laid back position.

A: Yes, thank you. It does make a difference. I would need to turn the system on to make sure where it is set, but I think mine to is set to more laid back.

KentOnDrums:

I had the Zen Select for 10 years and now the Super Zen for over 2 years. In my system setting the "Input Bias Switch" to the "Laid Back" position (switch toggled towards the front on my amp) is way too laid back for me. A noticeable reduction in overall volume output and loss of detail in my system. I'm using Klipsch RF-7 speakers which are not considered laid back by any means.

I run the stock tubes and have never lacked openness and/or detail as you describe. When I upgraded to the Super Zen I was surprised how much more detail and extension it had compared to my Zen Select. This also made it more sensitive to the interconnects being used. For instance I have a pair of the original Decware DSR interconnects and these just cast a thin veil that diminished detail and extension. So you might want to experiment with different interconnects.

Not likely but once I had a rectifier going weak and it really attenuated the highs. You might try swapping the rectifier and input tubes just to be sure they are functioning as designed. I usually keep a spare set of tubes on hand for this purpose. If there is no change then just put the originals back in.

I run a sub via speaker level connections as you describe so this should not be a problem. You may however try disconnecting the sub to check that the sub is not placing an undue load on the amp output for some reason. Probably not a bad idea to disconnect the sub temporarily anyway so that you are only hearing your source, interconnects, amp & speakers while experimenting.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/03/14 at 21:12:19

Thanks JD and DBC. I'll spend more time with the bias switch and take better note of which position I prefer.

Good idea on removing the sub DBC. In theory it should not matter, but a test is always worth while.

JD, I was stupid enough to sell my 7308s. At the time I was trying to raise cash and had planned to sell off the entire system. Then on a whim I picked up the Super Zen - based on price and reviews.

I'm glad that I still have the system. But would love to find the tweak or two needed to get back to where I was before starting to downgrade.

Thanks again for the input.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/04/14 at 00:50:28

I think the amp will keep getting better as you put on more hours on it.

Using stock power cord? Using any power filtering devices?

You can try a different input or rectifier tube, but this will turn back the clock a little as you wait for the new tube to burn in.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/04/14 at 02:18:19

I read that this current design pushes the limits of the 6DJ8/7308 family, so it might not be optimal. The unit is designed for the 6N1P-EV input and 6P15P-EV power tubes. The source and cabling might be affecting detail. My rig sounds fine with plenty of detail. I've had mine for a year and a half running from 2-8 hours per day 5 days a week 48 weeks per year.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/04/14 at 14:36:58

The only other thought I have (and I really don't think this is applicable to you since your speakers should easily be efficient enough) is that I have noticed that as you pair the SE84 with less efficient speakers, the level of detail definitely diminishes.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out.  Hopefully by experimenting a bit, you can find the detail that you are looking for.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #13 - 04/04/14 at 19:57:28

Based on my experience with other Decware amps
(e.g. CSP2+ , CSP3 and Torii MK4), the tubes make a big difference. This is because Decware amps are designed to behave like a straight wire with gain.
A minimalist design helps preserve sonic transparency.

Firstly, I suggest that you ditch the stock rectifier and replace it with a NOS Philips 5R4GYS for only US$50 from Upscale Audio.
You will definitely experience an improvement.

Then if your budget permits, get the best NOS tubes for the other tubes (especially the input tubes) from Brent Jesse at  http://www.audiotubes.com/
They have a very good write-up of the different tube types.

Alternatively, Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio can provide free advice on getting the best cost-effective NOS tubes based on your budget.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 04/04/14 at 20:01:25

I strongly agree with this, I just experienced again this morning what a difference a tube makes as I put an Arcturus 5Y3GT that was burning in in another preamp into my main CSP2+--no contest, the favorite old RCA 5Y3GT that had resided in there for a few years is indeed a superior tube in all important ways.

After burn-in I agree that substituting the rectifier will make a significant difference.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/12/14 at 19:13:42

I think having one of the larger wattage amps will give you what your looking for , not that the superzen isn't a great amp ,it is . It's just that the Torii,in particular will transport you to the venue. I get all the detail and maybe a smidgen more than the tori , and it took a good long time to break in . in my small room however. I get all the detail I crave for . allow a looooooong time for this amp to break in , don't expect 2 watts to fill a large room , just wont do it like the Torii will!!!!

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 09/22/14 at 11:22:49

on further thought The superzen  took longer than any amp I have to break in. we're talking the better part of a year.....!!!!!

IP Logged
rjw
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 05/17/17 at 16:27:30

I have had a SE84UFO for over 1 1/2 years. It has well over 1000 hours on it. I have rolled tubes a couple times. It still lacks subtle detail. To me it sounds cold, anemic, bland and sterile. Last week I replaced my Decware SE84UFO with my 2wpc Inspire 45 Fire Bottle Amp by Dennis Had. The Inspire amp sounds amazingly wonderful compared to my Decware SE84UFO and the Inspire amp has a detailed warm musical sound that my SE84UFO lacks. The Inspire amp uses Type 45 tubes which are real triodes. I had the Inspire amp before I ordered the SE84UFO and the Inspire amp sounded wonderful right out of the box. I learned that if an amp does not sound good out of the box it might never sound good. I am not wasting any more time and money on my SE84UFO it is officially retired. By the way my speakers are 1996 Klipsch La Scalas, 105db spl 1 watt at 1 meter.

My System: McIntosh MCT450 CD Transport > McIntosh C2500 Preamp > McIntosh MC225 amp or Inspire 45 FireBottle amp or Inspire HotRod amp or Decware SE84UFO amp > Klipsch La Scala Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 05/17/17 at 17:14:11

I'll give you $25 for the piece of junk.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/17/17 at 18:00:05

Sometimes certain combinations just don't sound good.  I've got a houseful of amps and speakers.  I can take one amp and it will sound wonderful with one speaker but then hook it up to another and all of the sudden it's very mediocre.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #20 - 05/18/17 at 06:52:37

Quote:
I'll give you $25 for the piece of junk.

Grin

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
rjw
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 05/18/17 at 17:52:09

Even though I said I was done wasting my time on my SE84UFO. I decided to try one more thing. Today I tried a Russian reissue Mullard GZ34 rectifier tube. Guess what, it now sounds like it should with my Klipsch La Scalas. I had previously tried a NOS SED Winged C 5U4G rectifier, but I never tried my Russian reissue Mullard GZ34 rectifier tube I had from another amp. The speaker switches are in the 8ohm position and the bias switch is in the forward position. I am running a Ediswan CV2492 in place of the 6N1P, tubestore.com Preferred series 7189's for output tubes and a Russian reissue Mullard GZ34 rectifier tube. It took over 1 1/2 years to find the correct combination and finally success.

My System: McIntosh MCT450 CD Transport > McIntosh C2500 Preamp > McIntosh MC225 amp or Inspire 45 FireBottle amp or Inspire HotRod amp or Decware SE84UFO amp > Klipsch La Scala Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 05/18/17 at 18:54:06

Have you tried the SV83 in the Svetlana or military type in the amp? When you said "the amp finally came alive" I was thinking that these tube types definitely add liveliness (sometimes with some complements too much!) in these amps. . . .

I often use EL84 types in the amps but that does not take advantage of the Hazen Grid Mod which can be a very nice thing to have in play.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
rjw
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 05/18/17 at 19:06:56

Now that I have my SE84UFO sounding the way I want, I will be going back and trying the tubes Decware supplied with the amp. The Decware supplied tubes have about 400-500 hours on them. I will not be putting the Decware supplied rectifier back into my SE84UFO, since changing the rectifier to a 5AR4/GZ34 got me the sound I wanted. I also have a pair of Svetlana SV83's I will try.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 05/18/17 at 19:09:33

Cool.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #25 - 05/18/17 at 23:27:50

So my offer of $25.00 is too low now? How about I sweeten it to $26.24?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/19/17 at 03:17:01

I'll go $50.00

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print