Send Topic Print
Input Tubes (Read 9100 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Input Tubes
03/24/14 at 23:58:38

I would like to hear some comparisons of input tubes for this amp. So far, I have only used 6N1P, and 6N2P tubes. I prefer the latter. They have higher gain, and for my purposes, it works best. The sound is more harmonic to my ears. The only downside is that one of the tubes makes a bit of noise now and then. I did receive 2 more of them today from The Tube Store, but haven't tried them yet. Maybe I would like 6922 types as well.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Input Tubes
Reply #1 - 03/25/14 at 00:04:57

When I owned the 34.2 amp I tried 6922, 6DJ8, 7DJ8. . . never liked them. 6N1P and 6N2P were what I used and loved. The 6N2P. . . really hard to find ones that aren't noisey. So I think I used 6N1P after all the experimentation.

Many life the 6922 type though, try it and see!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/14 at 02:19:55

I went full circle.  Started with 6n1p.  Thought that was too in your face.  Could be the combination with the original Ruby rectifier which I find harsh. Then 6n2ps but they clipped pretty early.  

Then 7dj8s with a RCA 5u4g which was ok but then I bought an amp with 6922s so I listened to them for a while. A little too smooth.

Now I am back for the 6n1ps with the RCA rectifier.  With my current setup I get great dynamics and definition.  If I want to soften things up I go for the 6922s.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/18/14 at 11:33:45

I'm keeping my Pope 7DJ8, but going to sell my Genalex 6922 re-issue. I just never use them but they do sound nice. Picking up these now as I just dropped and broke one of my 6N1P.

Anyone tried the 6N23P or the 6H30-DR?

Matched pair Gold pins Gold grid 6N1P-EV-OC (ECC88 6DJ8) NEW NIB NOS!

Tested 6N2P (12AX7 ECC83 7025 5751) 1964 Reflector Saratov Russian Tubes NIB!

Matched pair Gold pins Gold Grid 6N1P-VI (6DJ8 ECC88 6922) Russian tubes NOS!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/18/14 at 13:42:36

OK,  I don't own an integrated but do have a pair of the ZSM Monoblocks.  I have been running a pair of Amperex 7308's as inputs in these and my Torii MK IV and now my CSP3...I like them.  You can read the reviews for sound quality.  A cheaper alternative that I really like that isn't quite as extended on the top end and has a nice detailed and warmer presentation...more of the traditional tubey sound, is a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8's. Despite their reputation, they can be had relatively cheaply...I got my NOS/High testing with good print 1964's for $30 plus shipping.  And if you have a tester, their is a guy selling a lot of untested pairs pulled from lab equipment for as little as $10 starting bid, $15 for ones with good print. They come with  an option of return if not pleased.  If I had a tester, I'd be buying several pair and returning any that didn't measure up. I doubt he'll get very many, if any, bidders.

Next,  I need a little info...does anyone know where Brimar 6922's were made.  Does anyone know how they sound from experience?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #5 - 06/21/14 at 03:44:42

Hi Mark,

Brimar tubes tend to be rebranded from elsewhere.
Earlier ones are more likely to be British Mullard Blackburn/Mitcham or in Holland Herelen .
Later ones could have even come from Eastern Europe or from the States.

The only way to be sure is to look at the factory etchings on the tubes.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 06/22/15 at 06:03:32

Just keeping up here. I did buy a pair of Genelex re-issue 6922 tubes. Haven't listened too much, but I am very impressed with them so far. Very musical sounding to my ears.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print