Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 12:48:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi and Low headphone jacks (Read 5730 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Hi and Low headphone jacks
03/24/14 at 18:09:32

I really want to get a Taboo MK III soon so I was looking at the order page and noticed the hi and low headphone jack options. It also mentions that the high option is for the LCD2 headphones. Can someone explain this a little more. Is the high option more gain for less efficient headphones? Or does it have to do with the OHM rating of the headphones. A little more of an explanation would be great.
Thanks,
John

IP Logged
Robertiii
Verified Member

Promotion

Re: Hi and Low headphone jacks
Reply #1 - 03/24/14 at 20:16:57

I think it's both but with gain set "properly" my HD-800's like the high gain side better. I set mine up with high and low 4-pin XLR's and RCA jacks just to be preparated for any future buys...

Cheers / Robert
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/14 at 20:45:12

I was thinking of doing the same thing but wanted to know for sure what the difference was. It is an extra $200 dollar option.
On yours, is it marked which ones are high and which ones are low?

IP Logged
Robertiii
Verified Member

Promotion

Reply #3 - 03/24/14 at 23:20:08

Nope - on mine low gain is left side from meters and high gain is right side - same for both RCA and XLR.

Did a setup at work today in the conf room - Cambridge upsampling CD player (upsamples to 24 bit/196K and then analog), HD-800's and the TIII to drive it. One of the old school electrical engineers I work with said he could get used to living with it (high praise from JR). Everyone that's listened to it so far has given the rig high marks. Can't wait to get the XLR and see how it sounds with separated grounds on L+R channels. With an RCA you are getting an approximation, at least I gather from the manual.

Cheers / Robert
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/14 at 12:46:41

This was a reply from Steve on another thread. I thought it would be beneficial here for future customers.

"Since it is popular to use the Taboo with a wider range of headphones than was ever intended, we are now offering the Taboo MK III with high and low outputs.  The low outputs have about 3dB less output when compared to the high (or standard) outputs.  This makes it possible to use the more efficient LCDx phones as well as some of the more efficient dynamic headphones without hearing hum.
Steve"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print