Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:49:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bridging two Zkit1 specifics (Read 7272 times)
patrick
Verified Member

Bridging two Zkit1 specifics
03/20/14 at 05:56:23

I am in the final leg of my build. I have two Zkit1 amps and need some very specific details on how to either run them in series or parallel.  For example, do I wire the volume pot for each amp as if I was building each as separate amps;how I wire the inputs; how do I wire the speaker outputs?
I wired the transformers as separate amps,but I am stuck on the inputs, volume pots and speaker outputs.Any help will be greatly appreciated,  but I need specific and detailed info.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Bridging two Zkit1 specifics
Reply #1 - 03/21/14 at 15:43:26

Probably best to give Decware a call and see what they say.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fergstuff
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/15 at 05:42:16

I too am building two Zkit1's. These will match my newly built DNA horns.  :) (they sound amazing and keep getting better!
Did you receive any info on the best way to wire these? My thought is to put both kits in one rather heavy box with both a left and right volume control.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 01/13/15 at 12:57:40

On each Zkit1 I would add a new jumper wire from the left RCA input jack positive to the right RCA input jack positive.  Then use either input to connect both sides to either the right or left source.  The volume is now the right side, or left side, volume.

You will need to try both series and parallel output bridging schemes to see which one works best for your system.  Speaker efficiency, impedance, and output transformer winding ratios all play into the choice.  My personal preference is parallel, provided you have enough volume, as voltage gain is a lot less when bridged in parallel as opposed to series.  To bridge parallel  connect the two black amp outputs together and then to the speaker black (-).  Likewise, connect the two red amp outputs together and then to the speaker red (+).  To bridge series, connect one side of the amp red (+) output to the other side of the amp black (-) output and then connect the remaining red and black outputs to the speaker.    

Good Luck

Dan

IP Logged
Fergstuff
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/13/15 at 14:54:50

Thanks Dan.
I will try both and see what works best for me.
I appreciate the quick response.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/14/15 at 12:25:09

Quote:
On each Zkit1 I would add a new jumper wire from the left RCA input jack positive to the right RCA input jack positive.  Then use either input to connect both sides to either the right or left source.  The volume is now the right side, or left side, volume.

I asked a similar question and never received much of an answer.
Wouldn't you also need to take into account the impedance change when you tie the two inputs together?
I know using an external Y RCA jumper to feed both inputs is standard practice for bridging (the internal jumper is obviously cleaner) but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around having the two gain controls tied together.
Wouldn't a better place to tie them together be between the gain control outputs and the series tube input resistor?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print