Send Topic Print
ROLLING 'YER OWN (Read 30789 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

ROLLING 'YER OWN
03/13/14 at 16:22:56

Since I need a 3 meter power cord, I have considered making my own rather than trying to own what I cannot afford at this time. Anybody have a recipe for say, a 12 gauge cord?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ROLLING 'YER OWN
Reply #1 - 03/13/14 at 18:13:34

You can get a Pangea AC9 3 meter cord for 130. . . . Might be a good fit.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Pangea-Audio-AC-9-Power-Cable/productinfo/PGAC9/2076...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 03/13/14 at 18:32:15

I have to admit, these cables are an exceptional value. I have tried them in different applications, and feel that they can compete with much more costly cables.

Thanks Lon

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/13/14 at 19:36:46

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they get the praises sung out of them all over the web. I've sampled some homemade cables and to be honest. . . well I won't say anything other than at the price I would try the Pangea.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 03/14/14 at 02:24:26

Lon, I couldn't resist the temptation to experiment, and made a power cable  from finely stranded 12/3 wire. I even used silver paste on the connections to make sure that I am getting all that I can from this wire. As I preach connections being so important, red copper IEC end, and plug were used. Silver paste will accompany the connection there as well. I will not be trying the combo too soon, since I am waiting on some parts for the power conditioner that this was made for. I will also try either Pangea or another Cryod cable to see what might win the race in the end. I always like a good race.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 03/14/14 at 20:43:26

Ok, so here is the 'Ugly Betty' cord. The square box at the end is a ferite block to help reduce RFI.

P3150001.JPG

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/14/14 at 20:47:31

Cool.

I would not have put the ferrite on there myself. I've added them to cords before and I think they harm more than help.

But maybe not on this cord! Keep us abreast of your sonic discoveries!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/17/14 at 22:08:55

I'd be interested in any comparisons between a DIY and the Pangea.  If Lonely Raven and I get together again, we'll do a direct comparison between my DIY (two flavors) and the Pangea 9SE.

Here is the link for one flavor.  It has the choke as well.  I'll try it without the chock Lon to see what I get.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diyMains/

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/17/14 at 23:15:02

Cool. Will be fun to hear the results.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/18/14 at 01:42:31

Do you recall the adverse effects of the choke?  I just did a little a/b with and without the choke and without seemed to have louder bass but flabbier or not as well defined.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/18/14 at 02:03:12

As I remember it was similar, with some differences depending whether on amp or source etc. but it skewed frequency balances past 'neutral'-esque which was what I was going for.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 04/05/14 at 18:09:15

I did a bad bad thing. A couple of weeks ago, I went waaay over my budget, and bought a PS Audio Statement cord. It was the 3 meter length that I needed, but I ended up spending $270 for it. I know that it is an expensive cord when new, but that kind of money doesn't really make sense to me for a cord. It just doesn't. Now, having said that, I can confess that this cord is my 'go to' cord. The bass became what I was expecting it to be in the first place. The rest of the sound came together in a way that I will not need to change. I will confess also that there was a Pangea cord, an SE14, I think that is the model. Anyway, even though I considered it to be on the slight side for my other power conditioner, BPT 3.0, I am still using it to feed this device separately from the PS Audio cord. Because the BPT feeds only my TV and that half of the system which is less critical, I am happy with this arrangement as a whole.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/05/14 at 19:26:39

Cool! Congrats. These are good cords. I have two thatt used to be my "go to" cords, had one of these powering my amp and preamp, and Preludes powering the rest of  my system. I moved on to the PerfectWave cords and now have AC-12s throughout after experimenting with AC-5 and AC-10.

My Statement cords are now in use in my main guitar rig, one feeding the PS Audio Duet that distributes power to my amp and my Fender '63 Reissue Reverb head, the other going from the Duet to my Fender Bassman TV Fifteen amp. This gives me AMAZING tone for my guitars and basses.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 07/04/15 at 21:23:36

Fast forward, waay forward...ok, stop. This little update is to show how the audio road can wind. Without going into it too much, my PS Audio P500 pretty much died and i am NOT going to save it this time. Ok, so that led me to experiment with battery powered gear. Well, a battery powered chip amp anyway( I tossed the AC power supply and went with SLA batteries). FWIW, the chip amp greatly improved, but still wasn't my cup of tea. You know me guys, I don't stop at first base, so I ran into a battery powered integrated amp made by Red Wine Audio. Now there's an idea. Let someone else design the proper power supply while you sit back and listen. In short, I couldn't be more impressed with this amp. I use it for the speakers that I built recently, and consider it a perfect match for them. You bet, my 'main' system will always use the Rachel and ZOB as things couldn't be better for my taste. I guess that my point here is that the power supply, whether it be AC/DC can compromise your listening experience. I still use a BPT power conditioner for the Rachel, and now realize that it produces great AC (balanced AC) for my needs. Funny how a troubled unit starts to sneak up and fool you before you can identify it. FWIW, I'm taking the transformer and a few other oddities out of the P500 to play with later.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/05/15 at 12:32:16

I am a battery believer.  Run chip amps with them both stand alone and in boom boxes.  I currently run my external HD with a sla.  When that drive runs off battery the whole system sounds better.  The other day the battery ran down and I had to go back to the smps.  My son spent some time listening and sure enough he noticed it didn't sound as good.  

I am packing up for vacation at the cottage and my ps audio power cords are coming with me.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/05/15 at 12:35:02

Btw Lon I took the chokes off my DIY.  I am leaving them off.  More natural sounding.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 07/05/15 at 13:42:34

That's interesting. . . what I suspected would occur.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print