Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:15:12 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Power Regeneration & Decware Amps (Read 10183 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Re: Power Regeneration & Decware Amps
Reply #100 - 11/05/14 at 00:30:03

I know I hear a little bit differently than some (we are individuals after all), but the Acoustic Zen speakers definitely stand out to me as special.  They sound so natural (timbre, tone), and they have a liquidity and flow (very much like the ZMA) that makes you forget about anything else but the music.  Isn't that the point (ultimately)?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 11/05/14 at 00:37:16

That is the point. That's what I've found in the HR-1s matched with the Torii Mk III. There are many ways to reach audio happiness. Getting there is not easy but when you get there, put down roots!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 11/05/14 at 00:45:44

I couldn't agree more Lon.  I think we all get there in our own way, which is great.  I appreciate that you are consistent with your advice on this forum, which is grounded in your experience.  Synergy is what you have with the HR-1/Torii mk3.  I think I stumbled upon it with the ZMA/944 combo, but I will likely still experiment with a lot of things before I know what I am dealing with and how high is up.  Best.  -d

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #103 - 11/05/14 at 00:54:14

Absolutely, I'm sure you're getting amazing sound as well. And listening to Pops playing Fats is what makes it all worthwhile!

Thank goodness for Decware. . . as I think I mentioned in the last few days, I feel Decware's components and service have enriched our lives.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #104 - 11/06/14 at 15:32:31

No doubt Dave. You know how good the Adagio's are. Most dealers won't carry them, because they cannibalize everything else in the room via tube or solid state. You have to move up to the 16k Crescendo to do better.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 11/06/14 at 22:18:05

Stone…I think the Crescendos will sound better only if they have the right space to breathe.  I believe Robert told me 14’x18’ minimum and he was recommending the speakers be placed 7 ft from the front wall.  Unless you have a relatively big dedicated room, the Adagio’s will likely be the better option.

That said, I heard the Crescendos at Axpona (in a terribly small room) and they were immediate standouts to me.  I can only imagine what they would sound like in a big, well treated room.  

Looking forward to your impressions of the Adagios.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 11/11/14 at 23:26:47

Stone...hopefully you are glued to your listening couch with the Adagios singing sweet music in your ears...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #107 - 11/12/14 at 18:07:00

Oh, you bet I am Dave. I know now, why these Adagio's have been in production going on 9 years. They are extremely musical an absent of the most smallest distortion while maintaining musicality...with lock you in your seat/don't move.

Now with only 27 hours an counting on them...they are waxing an waning some. However, 100 hours should be the ticket! These drivers and tweeters ain't your OEM Parts Express, Madisound or Hempter stuff! In conjunction with this ass kicking transmission line....I am pleased. It will be fun to bring my Vintage Polk SDA1's back in for comparison next month. They are worthy to bring back in...for their mesmerizing texture (via DECWARE) provided by the ole' litz wire tweeters I love. But, as of now....the Adagio's back up the hype an are tube loving.

Brand new @ 3650 plus frt......they are a steal!!!!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #108 - 11/13/14 at 16:22:48

Well, the PS Audio P3 is quite the piece. I could not part with it...for my Front End(s).

The Adagio's I will not part with either. I could have bought used AZ Adagio's. However, like a new car is a new car....I wanted to break in myself and I paid a great price for new. My Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers stay too.

I will not part with any of my Decware Amplifiers or CSP3 either.

It is now time to focus on more music an some affordable brief tube rolling.

The only thing, I have decided I want to complete my stable in the Listening Room rotation...is Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono-blocks/used/transferable warranty. Like Decware, you have to have some PASS!  Cheers!

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC ---~or~
Audio Alchemy front-end/Remote Volume Wand/Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #109 - 11/14/14 at 18:16:36

Well, I had to take them out of the Listening Room. I put my SDA1's back in an they smoked the Adagio's. The Adagio's need some very serious burn in (as stated by every Reviewer I read). They are now in the Bedroom hooked up to Solid State to hit the 300 hour mark, at least.

The Adagio's have shown hints of very promising things to come, while in the Listening Room Rig. 300 hours should open them up.  Cheers, all have a good weekend.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 11/18/14 at 01:29:14

Hi Stone...how's the break in going on the Adagios?  Any additional thoughts to share or are they still being pounded with SS to loosen up the drivers?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #111 - 11/18/14 at 04:24:57

Stone - do those Adiagios speakers do the disappearing trick well? You think I might like them better than the AG 3.1?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #112 - 11/18/14 at 14:56:14

Hi Dave an Eric. Yes, the Adagio's are still being pounded with SS to loosen them up! I had them in my Listening Room for 34 hours an then moved them out to SS. The jury's still out on them guys...until I get them back in my L-Room in 3 weeks I figure. Then, some evaluation. The garbage I have them burning in on...is not worth commenting on. A Pioneer DVD player an Dayton APA 150.

LR, have you tried the Nationals 7DJ8's yet? I had to get a pair in last night an I'm listening this morning. They are as Kevin described with only 11 hours on them...smooth/extended top an bottom with no exaggeration, yet very articulate and not taking away from transient attacks....an ohhh, the timbre an 3D addition of Air. I am very pleased. I am only using a pair in the Pre slots of the ZMA currently. My first of six scenario's for this tube. Let me know...I will buy them from you...if you do not like them. I am using them with the KT66 Tung-Sols...that they mate well with. An yes, 11 hours does not make for a complete take on them. But, hopefully after a 100 hours an comparing to the 6N23P back in......will see (hear).

Back to the Adagio's: What I did hear when I had them in my Room, as stiff as they are, was very coherent an detailed with a flat impedance loving the ZMA. If I love an keep them Eric....maybe next year I'll bring them down to you, so you can hear them. This MTM Transmission Line configuration you know well in your current Speakers.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #113 - 11/18/14 at 20:31:07

Yeah, MTM seems to be a theme with me lately, and the funny thing is I don't care for MTM outside of theaters/home theaters. I sense too much micro-timing issues with multiple drivers, so I prefer two drivers, or co-ax if they are done really well. But MTM seem to get me most of what I want.

As for the Nationals - yeah, I've had them in the input section of my ZMA for almost two weeks now. Just not feeling them with the Golden Lion. I think maybe I need to go back to the stock KT66. But I'm going to wait for my replacement 6N1P to show up for some burn-in and tube rolling.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 11/19/14 at 02:48:56

I will soon be able to compare the new Zu Audio Omen Def vs. the MG944's.  It would be great to add the Adagios to the mix.  Three similar, yet very different speakers.  

LR...do your Mg944's have a similar crossover (3rd order I believe) as the Adagios?  I think that is the standard crossover for a D'Appolito MTM design.  

It appears there is a fair amount of mathematical data to support the MTM configuration, as well as many speakers successfully using this format.  That said, what we hear is what we hear.   Or said differently, trust your ears.

Interestingly, the Zu MTM speakers are known for having more detail than their MT brothers (utilizing the same drivers).  Any thoughts on detail and micro-timing of the Zen Monoliths vs. the 944's?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #115 - 11/19/14 at 04:18:06

Quote:
I will soon be able to compare the new Zu Audio Omen Def vs. the MG944's.  It would be great to add the Adagios to the mix.  Three similar, yet very different speakers.  

Oh yeah, I'd love to do that comparo.

Quote:
LR...do your Mg944's have a similar crossover (3rd order I believe) as the Adagios?  I think that is the standard crossover for a D'Appolito MTM design.

Yeah, I think Bob said there were 3 pair actually like mine. All with crossovers. I'm not sure what slope the crossover has.

Quote:
Any thoughts on detail and micro-timing of the Zen Monoliths vs. the 944's?

I've really not put those two side by side, except for Palominos version vs my 944 in his room. His setup throws a wall of coherent sound that's quite amazing. The 944 are a bit beamy due to the tweeter. I think the El Camino are going to be somewhere in between with the tweeter crossed over much lower.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #116 - 11/19/14 at 16:04:42

The speed, dynamic's an coherence of the Adagio's are stunning. Worth reading all the reviews on them an get a between the lines sense about them through the better in depth reviews found. The cool part is, Adagio's can be had from 2500 to 3650 new (I paid).

Dave, great you're having the Zu's in to compare. Some more burn in on my Adagio's an I will get them back in my Room.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #117 - 11/19/14 at 17:38:00

However, having said the above...I could very well sell the Adagio's...we will see/hear. My Vintage Polk SDA1's smoke them in Textural sound and in some details. To many of the new generation of Speakers are to button down an clean. Taking away the closer to live sound I get from my SDA1's with Decware -an- rendering themselves (the Adagio's so far) to just sounding like good hi-fi. My SDA1's with 1.25 inch old school Litz wire Tweeters deliver organics whet. (Yes, like Sandy Gross's Speakers of today...he listened to these at home with lower power under 50 watts/ch tubes ~ circa 1985 - 88...in 2 channel Stereo/not using the SDA function...as I too use them).

In the Adagio's defense, I will put 150 hours on them with SS...and then another 100 on them in the Listening Room. They will get their fair chance to shine or fail.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 11/19/14 at 18:18:55

Very interested in your thoughts on the Zu's Dave.  I am in search of a high efficiency speaker that images well.  Zu's seemed to fill the bill at Axpona.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #119 - 11/19/14 at 18:49:56

Quote:
Very interested in your thoughts on the Zu's Dave.  I am in search of a high efficiency speaker that images well.  Zu's seemed to fill the bill at Axpona.

Agreed - could be the speaker to dethrone my MG944 as reference. But then, the 944 we considerably cheaper then the Zu, so that's saying something!

DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 11/21/14 at 23:46:25

Quote By Dave1210

Quote:

Dave, I've been curious about the ZU Omen Def for some time now. Have really gotten the itch since their recent upgrade of that speaker.

Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 11/22/14 at 01:48:15

I should clarify...my buddy ordered the Zu speakers as a first step in building his system.  We heard the Druids at Axpona last year, and the rest is history. I am excited to hear these speakers...

We plan to compare the MG944's to the Zu Omen Def's.  We will drive the Zu's with a few different amps, CKC, ZMA, and Peachtree Nova 220SE (the amp he is leaning towards).  

I will do my best to report impressions on this forum.  We likely won't do a serious comparison until the OD's are well broken in, but knowing my buddy and his taste for rock music that shouldn't take too long...  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #122 - 11/22/14 at 16:25:29

Quote:
but knowing my buddy and his taste for rock music that shouldn't take too long...  

That got an early morning chuckle out of me.  ;D

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #123 - 11/28/14 at 15:48:44

will, interesting to read your journey with the P5 as I now have one and it has a very different sound and nature than the Power Plant Premier. There is a density and touch of warmth to the Premier that is conspicuously absent from the P5. The Premier is now in my system at my Dad's and has transformed that system, removing most of my little dislikes in the sound there. I know I could get better power and speaker cabling there and make a difference now, and probably will .  . in time. But for now it has a warmth and refinement it didn't have before with the PS Audio Duet in place.

The P5 is going to take some playing about with. I've ordered a set of the MIGs to try under it, though I'm worried they may present a thinning out of the sound that is the direction I don't need to travel in. Regardless, they'll be put to use somewhere in my systems. I'm using the VooDoo Cable "Iso-Pods" (old style) under the P5 now that I was using with the Premier and they're almost perfect but just not quite right. The P5 on it's own rubber feet on the PS Audio PowerBase is also very good, meatier, but slightly smeared, just can't handle that when you know it doesn't have to be there. I think a little more "burn-in" is needed and finding just the right feet and it's time to just sit back and relax with the clean dynamic sound.

Like you I just can't keep any of the higher Multi-Wave settings on. Setting "1" is very good with minimal peakiness or hardness, none at all on some material. Mostly I'm using the sine wave.

It's a fine machine, I was surprised to discover how different it was from the Premier, but it is different internally in significant ways--I really shouldn't have been.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #124 - 12/01/14 at 16:17:20

Well, four or five days in the P5 has warmed up and we have gotten used to each other and there is very good sound. Surprisingly, more than the digital front end the P5 has taken my ZP3 to a new level, man vinyl sounds good.

I still miss a bit of the density that the Premier dished out, but I don't believe that was as "accurate" as what the P5 delivers. I'm using the High Regulation mode as the Torii seems to like that a lot and there's no change in distortion levels between using that and High Distortion mode. I'm going back and forth between "Sine Wave" and "Multi Wave 1" and may be preferring the 1 setting on Multi Wave. I haven't yet done any changes on the Voltage Regulation. . . may just leave that alone. I think I'm now ready to see what the MIGs will do. . . .

Really happy now with the P5, and the Premier is just really sprucing up my system at my Dad's, the Torii Mk II and CSP2+ there just love it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #125 - 12/04/14 at 02:25:47

Got the Synergistic Research MiGs in and played around with them.

Tried them both ways that SR lists and the two ways they don't, and they just didn't work for my P5. Though I must admit there were some high frequency reproductions that were very nice, the midrange was just never right, and the bass was almost right in one configuration, but it was the configuration where everything else was most wrong. I think footers work a bit differently when coupled to the PS Audio PowerBases. So I moved them about in the system and they work best under my DVR--the picture actually improved a bit, and the sound was probably unchanged (I use the digital out from the DVR into the DirectStream).

The VooDoo Audio Iso-Pods still work the best under the P5, I tried Herbie's Iso-Cups but they were a bit too precise and not involving. These Iso-Pods are the old, not the new VooDoo Cable ones, they look like this:

They're reasonably priced and they work well it seems where the Herbie's Iso-Cups don't.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #126 - 12/08/14 at 16:33:36

I've been driving myself a bit nuts lately with the P5 as it seasons in the system. I finally have decided to stop because I'm getting excellent sound. High Regulation setting, MultiWave at 2, and 120 volt output. Tremendously low distortion, blackest background ever, so clean but I'm getting used to it.

I ended up with five Iso-Pods under the P5, at the four corners about an inch in and as close to right under the transformer as I can get, left side towards the front corner. This has been a great balance between tonal character and soundstage/imaging. Hopefully now I'll just leave it alone and sit back and relax.

As Paul McGowan mentioned this I tried powering the DirectStream directly from the P5 and just using that PowerBase as an isolation device, bypassing it's filtered outlet. . . but I ultimately prefer using the outlet on the PowerBase. There's a real refinement and clarity in doing so, makes the direct to the P5 sound a bit wild and wooly, very surprising result for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #127 - 12/09/14 at 03:17:18

Well, that didn't last long but after an afternoon of listening I've decided Low Distortion and Sine Wave give the best sound. Really enjoying what's spilling out of the system! Need a little turntable attention and I can hopefully get through 2015 with the system as is.

As if! Cheesy

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 12/09/14 at 07:08:21

Hey Lon, this might interest you. I had all my components on two Power Bases which were connected to the wall outlet w/AC-12s. The components were run off the Power Bases w/Shuntaya Black Mambas. Really great sound. Very alive/sparkly. Then I happened across a Power Plant Premier in great condition at a great price ($700). Had to have it. For some reason, I thought it would be good to go all Shuntaya. I hooked the PPP to the wall w/a Shuntaya Python, the Power Bases to the PPP w/Black Mambas, and the components to the Power Bases w/Black Mambas. All the magic was gone. Now I get what you guys are talking about when you say it threw a veil over the music. I know that Paul recommends to use PS Audio cables w/their power gear, but I just thought that was to sell more cables. I stand corrected. So now I'm connected from the wall to the PPP w/an AC-12, from the PPP to the Power Bases w/AC-12s, and from the Power Bases to the components w/Black Mambas. The magic is back. Hallelujah! I will say this for the Shuntayas - quietest cables with the blackest backgrounds that I've heard - just not a good match w/PS Audio power units. (At least not in my system).  I'll use the other Shuntayas in my second system. Happy listening. Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #129 - 12/09/14 at 11:02:39

Hi Randy,

Thanks for posting that. Wow. The Premier and Power Plant sound is a great one. I don't have any experience with Shunyata, so it was very interesting to read how "the magic" wasn't there when it was all Shunyata. Glad you are enjoying the sound so much! That was a great price on a Premier! I could use one or two more myself. Wink

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 12/10/14 at 06:13:18

Lon,

Jeeze, Shuntaya? I just re-read my post. I wasn't even drinking last night. I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. Glad you knew what I was trying to say.

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #131 - 12/10/14 at 11:42:42

Knew what you meant. I sometimes transpose characters myself (in my case mosty numbers unfortunately).

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #132 - 01/14/15 at 23:07:02

Just bought: PLC FX2 Xoe power condition made by Blue Circle Audio. After many months of research, and killer reviews etc. went for the $495 price.  I feel this will be a great place to start. I will also be installing Hubbell HBL-8300 power receptacle to plug it into.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 02/16/15 at 23:06:48

I'm starting to consider power regeneration, maybe a PS Audio P3.  Something that I think came up in this tread was the best power cord to use for the regenerator.  I think most agreed that the best cord on hand should be used from the wall to the regenerator.  If that is the case, what is the regenerator doing?  I mean, isn't it cleaning up the main power and feeding it onward?  In that case, why would it need to be fed by the best cord?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  I'd really like to not have to buy another expensive power cord to feed the very piece of equipment meant to fix power issues.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 02/16/15 at 23:17:11

Good question Archie,  I'm looking forward to those more knowledgeable than I to answer.  I use Running Springs Audio power conditioners and the cord from the wall to the Jaco is like a garden hose...I think it's called a "Mongoose".  The Haley in the den has an ordinary looking one that came with the new unit. I can't explain how the cosmic stew of variables that is our individual system works but I sure do love the results.  The equipment is a necessary evil to get to the Music...at least for me.   Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #135 - 02/17/15 at 03:39:27

Speaking of the VooDoo Vibropods above - I just saw this:

http://voodoocable.net/gerardo-test-123/

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 02/18/15 at 00:48:24

I heard back form PS Audio.  I had asked my power cord into the regenerator question and this is what the head man said:

Quote:
Great question and the answer’s simple. The regenerator needs to be fed properly and without disturbing anything else plugged into the same outlet.

Think of it as a water hose feeding a line purifier. If you restrict or choke the source to the regenerator in any way, it struggles to do its job. That’s not what we want to do. Secondly, the regenerator is not perfect and any help you can give it is valued in increased performance benefits. Lastly, AC power is not a one-way gate. The regenerator places demands on the incoming AC that can generate its own noise on the line, affecting other equipment in your system if not properly protected by a well shielded power cable.

Truth is, it’s important on both the input and output, but we always suggest the best be placed to feed the regenerator so as not to restrict its demand for power in any way.

Paul McGowan   |  CEO  |   PS Audio

Since most seem to find that they get the best results from using the best power cord, Paul's explaination makes sense.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 02/18/15 at 02:33:02

Lonely Raven wrote on 02/17/15 at 03:39:27:
Speaking of the VooDoo Vibropods above - I just saw this:

http://voodoocable.net/gerardo-test-123/

Those aren't priced too bad, I wonder how they fair next to the Stillpoints which are stupid expensive.  And then we also have Steve Blinn's IsoPeds which are similarly priced close to the VooDoo, but just a tad less.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 02/18/15 at 16:48:14

I think LR meant to put this in a difference Forum thread but I couldn't resist responding to the VooDoo Vibropods advertisement blah blah.

Quote:
Each Iso-Pod is made of aerospace alloy discs suspended by zirconium ceramic bearings that Voodoo says are what converts the vibrations into heat.

These guys have aptly named their company "VooDoo"!  A perfect bearing would be frictionless, hence, NO HEAT.  They claim that their bearings convert the vibration to heat.  GMAB  These likely work to isolate in the horizontal plane but they appear to be 100% coupled in the vertical.  If they convert vibration into heat, they would be a damping device, not an isolation device.

When trying to decipher manufacture product claims I think it is a good rule of thumb to assume that the percentage of what they get wrong on things that you understand is likely the percentage of what they get wrong on things you don't understand.  Based on this I would personally stay far away from VooDoo!  There are companies that seem to have a better grasp on what they are trying to do beside sell over priced audio bling. 

And getting it right by accident doesn't count!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #139 - 02/18/15 at 17:35:23

No, I was in the right thread - I saw Lon's post about the VooDoo isopods in post #125. I was curious how much they are and maybe wanted to give them a spin if they were under $100.

I agree with what you're saying - it's like they are confusing scientific principals to make things intentionally muddied for the buyer. Or just to impress those that don't understand the basics of physics.

Reminds me of an engineer that put a giant fan in a *closed* computer room when the A/C was broken - "to cool the room". I sent him a link to the Laws of Thermodynamics for dummies basically. LOL

"I do not think that works the way you think it works."

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #140 - 02/18/15 at 17:57:44

These new Iso Pods from VooDoo are imitations of Stillpoints, which are acclaimed everywhere and are hideously expensive.

I haven't used these particular VooDoo isolation devices, I used an earlier version that cost 65 dollars for a set of three, had one bearing only and were a totally different design.

The ones I use definitely work and very well. I use them under my TV, turntable, Denon universal player, and P5. increases clarity. . .works as well as Herbie's Audio Lab Iso-Cups but have a different sonic signature. Fun to play around with.

VooDoo Cable first impressed me with their interconnect cables. I bought a used set of their Evolution (mid-line) cables and was blown away. They were the clearest yet smoothest cables I had ever used. I then bought used copies of their next line up, the Ultralinear, and one used set of the first version of their top of the line, Stradivarius. Each step was another wow WTF improvement to the system. Using the Stradivarius between the DirectStream and the Torii Mk III is the best sound I've ever had, period. I don't see how you can dismiss the possibility of heat disipation here. Stillpoints says the same thing. And regardless, for me the proof is in the pudding, and the VooDoo Cable cabes and earlier Iso Pods I've used have really impressed me. If I could afford a 2m and two 1m Stradivarius interconnects I'd do so in a minute and have all my sources covered with the best cables I've ever heard.

Old style Iso Pod

S_RBJR_4__29217__01152009114558-8382.jpg

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 02/19/15 at 00:57:19

Lon, I can accept that they work but the engineer in me was reacting to the "Pi Throwing".  The devices that we use may not follow clearly definable laws but they must follow basic principles of physics.  Don't they?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #142 - 02/19/15 at 01:04:27

Don't ask me. I'm a metaphysical anarchist at heart and I don't always play by the rules nor do I expect consistency in the universe. I don't expect boxes with lids and locks. That things are always this or that way and always explained and spray glued in certitude. There's no engineer in me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print