Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:13:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phono stage, Harbeth  and Torii MK III (Read 5185 times)
raferx
Verified Member

Phono stage, Harbeth  and Torii MK III
03/06/14 at 17:35:22

Hi all,

New to the Decware forums, but after reading about their products for a while now and I'm very interested in the Torii MK III or IV amplifier.

I'm looking at running the amp in a two-channel vinyl system with a Sutherland Ph3D battery-powered phono stage. This stage has no controls other than internal jumpers to adjust gain and impedance, so I'd be reliant on the Torii's "volume" control.
Is anyone else using a Torii without a traditional preamp per se?
I've read that most prefer the sound straight out of the amp, so would I be OK with this set up?
Also, I bought an audiophile iPod 30-pin to RCA cable so my girlfriend can play ALAC files. Would this be OK in the system as well?
Also, I'm running Harbeth P3ESR speakers that have a 83.5 dB rating, but present a very easy 6-ohm load, and since I know that even 10w SET amps (Audio Note Oto) have driven this speaker to very respectable volume levels, I'm hoping the Torii's 25 watts would fare even better?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, TIA.
–Rafe

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Phono stage, Harbeth  and Torii MK III
Reply #1 - 03/07/14 at 01:39:09

Hi rarerx, glad you made it over hear.  I believe there are quite a few people running Torii's without a preamp.  Some like it others like a Preamp such as the Decware CSP3.  I wish I could speak from experience, but I don't have the pleasure of owning that amp (yet Wink).

You may want to post this one more time over in the General Discussion and Support forums as it is a lot more active there.

Again welcome! Cool

IP Logged
raferx
Verified Member

Re: Phono stage, Harbeth  and Torii MK III
Reply #2 - 03/07/14 at 02:10:49

Thanks Beowulf!!! I'll try posting again as per your advice. Many thanks Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print