Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 INSIDE OUT (Read 11417 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

SE34I.3 INSIDE OUT
03/01/14 at 15:22:53

I thought it interesting to look at the new amp that I bought from Steve. Almost no product that I buy goes untouched. In this case, I especially enjoyed the handwritten notes on the underside. Here are a couple of shots.

P2280005_001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: SE34I.3 INSIDE OUT
Reply #1 - 03/01/14 at 15:56:58

It looks like there might be a new builder in training.
Will Decware owners get to be like Aston Martin owners where a certain builder be desirable over another?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 03/01/14 at 16:16:33

I doubt it, as long as Steve is at the helm.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #3 - 03/01/14 at 18:16:54

What 's with the switches and pot with no connections?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 03/01/14 at 19:56:03

Aha! good observation. There are also input jacks W/O connections as well. This was the prototype model that Steve was working with, and so the switches were originally to switch back and forth to compare capacitors. The unused pot was what you would get if you chose a single volume control(I chose mono). I already have on order a new set of mono pots with Dale resistors to replace the carbon pots. Interestingly, I will be re-using the switches to implement a BSC circuit for each channel.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #5 - 03/02/14 at 12:11:32

That is very interesting!!!

Is the area marked off as "radioactive zone" in the middle some sort of Decware amp builder's inside joke?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 03/02/14 at 16:04:06

It is referring to the radiated AC field that the power wires have.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/03/14 at 17:23:50

I'm not into electronics enough to understand exactly what I'm looking at with these interior shots, but I can tell you what I'm glad I'm not seeing.  No cheap circuit boards, random wires running amok, or sloppy soldering.  I built a couple of Heathkits in my youth and I can appreciate tidy work.  Those kits had boards but they were quality and tube heat wasn't part of the equation.  That's how things have a least the potential to last.  The rest is the quality of the parts.

Hurray for craftmanship!  I'm thrilled that Steve goes out of his way to plan the parts layout inside to minimize use of wire.  He clearly seems to enjoy the physical design as much as the end sound.  I have to agree in principle with what the designer is doing and believe he isn't just throwing something together to come to market for me to be willing to sit on those build lists for weeks.  

I don't have this model.  I am enjoying the Torii MK IV and have a ZMA close to ready.  Thanks for the pix though.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 03/03/14 at 18:45:20

A Tori MkIV was my first choice, but not my wallet's. I have owned several Decware amps over the years, and so far my two favorite are this one, and a pair of SV83S Mono blocks(I regret selling them to this day). I had owned the original 34.1, but frankly, it had too many options to twiddle with for a guy like me. I was never done flipping switches, or trying different tube arrangements, let alone rolling tubes. As I recall, the Tori has many tube rolling possibilities that make it an esspecially attractive amp. All in all, the simplicity in Steve's designs are exactly what I desire. Point to point is definately the best way to go, along with best quality components.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print