Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:01:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy here with a few questions (Read 8408 times)
travis jennemann
Verified Member

New guy here with a few questions
02/21/14 at 14:07:06

So after spending the last week of my life reading just about every thread in the WO32 and Wicked One support threads, I have decided that the WO32 is the way I should go. (correct me if I am wrong)

A little back story I compete in car audio competitions and after a 10yr retirement I am ready to get back in the lanes. So I have decided to build a style of this box, EXCEPT my dimension limits are 36" wide buy 27" deep by 14" tall, all exterior dimensions. to fit in the cargo area of my blazer and be under the window line (rules I have to maintain)

Since I am a mechanical designer I reverse engineered the lines and interior bracing to suit my dimensional requirements.

I will be running (2) 12" DC LVL 3 subs.

My questions is does anybody see a problem with me reducing the width of the box to 27". Although I am going for a good sound I am going for a MAX SPL reading.  I will be running 2 classes. one with 500 watts to the subs, and one with 1000 watts to the subs.

unfortunately all my photo hosting sites are blocked at work so I will post up a few pictures of the design I have come up with later tonight. This is all going inside a 1994 GMC Jimmy. The design will be made of solid maple, stained black, and will have a 3/4" plexiglass top to show off the subs and box design.

Most competitors just use a rectangle box with a 6" port and don't put any care about the install, well with a design as beautiful as this how can someone not show off everything.

any advice and criticism will be taken into account since I have never attempted a box of this caliper. luckily once the design is complete I have access to a cabinet building shop to cut everything to the exact specs I require.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: New guy here with a few questions
Reply #1 - 02/21/14 at 18:32:18

I am no expert but here are my issues.
I think the WO32 is more for music than MAX SPL. The dimmensions are 36x24 so they would fit your blazer but that is for 10" subs. It would have to be rescaled to fit 12" subs and the dimensions will grow. I would not change them because you have to keep the horn expansion path the same for them to sound good.
Also the subs you want to use, what is their travel limit? the ones recommended for the WO32 is low for a sub (5mm). The reason is that the wedge of the horn is right there by the sub. If the travel limit is high then you will be hitting the side wall with the driver itself. I think the Wicked One would be better for you.
Also on a box building note, you sould not use solid wood for the enclosure. MDF or Birch plywood is recommended. Solid wood moves too much especially in a car where it will see extremes between hot and cold. It will crack.
Please let us know what you decide to do and post some pics.

IP Logged
travis jennemann
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/14 at 18:49:52

oh I want good music more than anything. the max spl is just a bonus. this will be for show since I am going to add neons and make the top of the box plexi.

as far as the sub it has 1" of travel. so since the sub will be inverted on a 3/4" piece with a 2nd 3/4" support piece I am not worried about the sub hitting anything

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 02/24/14 at 14:09:42

Travis,

Duecelazoo is correct, the WO would be a much better choice. The WO32 is a high damped design which will limit all the excursion your driver offers.  I've seen some pretty good stiff coned drivers fail in short order due to the over damped WO32.

As a bonus using the WO would give you the flexibility of the 4th order box!

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
travis jennemann
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/14 at 14:17:35

well being I am the newbie and you all are the experts I will gladly redesign the box. That's one good thing about using AutoCAD, just a few clicks away to make the changes required.

It looks like I need a few more posts before I can add photos so as soon as I reach that quota I will show the progress

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 02/24/14 at 16:22:28

I'm looking forward to seeing your project get built! It's been about 12 years since I built my first Wicked One - and it was great in my home theater - lots of thump where it was needed. I never did get it setup in my car though.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
travis jennemann
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/11/14 at 14:38:34

waiting for my buddy to cut everything out, he owns a cabinet shop and owes me a few favors. Then the build will begin

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/23/14 at 00:22:30

In case you did not know Zygi gave you the straight scoop. He is actually one of the "old hats"  who actually builds Decware speakers for sale to the public.

Anything he says or Steve, for that matter (Steve has hundreds of pages to peruse at this site to help you know his design philosophies.) can be taken as gospel. If you can think of a way to re-do a box, it has probably been tried and in general rejected as just another compromise not worth pursuing.

SO!  Did you build an enclosure and compete?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print