Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:13:11 

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 76392 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #950 - 11/11/18 at 05:22:29

I've got 3.10 on my DMP now and it is sounding mighty fine and operationally, much improved.  

Will need more time to draw any significant conclusions, but so far so good!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #951 - 11/11/18 at 06:01:13

Cool Jeff. I'll order an SD card from PS Audio next week for this and the Snowmass.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #952 - 11/12/18 at 04:43:22

As of this evening (Sunday), PS Audio released the "Snowmass" firmware for the DirectStream Dac to the masses.  It was being beta tested through a select few for the last few days.  A couple of hours ago, they posted the release version of Snowmass for all too download.  

Just an FYI for anyone with a DirectStream DAC.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #953 - 11/12/18 at 11:50:16

Just ordered an SD Card with Snowmass, and one with 3.10 for the DMP. Looking forward to new sound in a week or so!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #954 - 11/12/18 at 17:10:08

I recently acquired a DirectStream dac that had RedCloud on it and was really happy with it. Last night after reading all the reviews and seeing the availability of Snowmass, decided to download and load it up. Wow! What a difference in a sound staging. Everything I've played through it sounds more open and in the sense of space between instruments or musicians in live recordings. Love it! I also really love how updates can make the dac sound like a whole different machine.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #955 - 11/12/18 at 21:48:00

I totally missed this over the weekend, I wasn't online much. Now I have to wait till I'm back in town to download and give it a listen.

It's hard to believe Ted can still squeeze more out of this DAC, but I'm certainly not complaining!!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #956 - 11/14/18 at 22:59:44

Installed the update late last night - I didn't get much time with it, but the micro-detail was noticeable right off the bat! Seems like a great matchup for the 25th Anniversary upgrade to my ZMA! (and didn't cost me $830 to do! LOL)

The DirectStream OS update, ZMA 25th mod, and now experimenting with both input and output tubes - I'm getting a lot of great sound out of my system again. I feel like each year I say "I can't imagine this getting any more detailed..."  and somehow we squeeze more out!

Very Excited to spend more time with this setup next week when I'm off work for a bit.

Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #957 - 11/15/18 at 04:16:13

LR, I am finding the Snowmass update to be something special.  I am awestruck with recent improvements in my system and like you, felt like it was unlikely that things would improve to the level that they have.  Such an exciting revelation!  

The Snowmass update has brought significant change to the micro detail, inky black blackground and expansive soundstage.  ...and it didn’t cost us a penny more!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #958 - 11/16/18 at 14:15:13

Spent more time with Snowmass last night - basically instead of turning on the TV I've been turning on the ZMA, letting it warm up while I change out of work clothes, then press play and let it play for hours while I cook dinner and work on stuff around the house.

I've ditched the more experimental tubes and just went for a fresh set of "Reissue" 7581A from (Russian) Tung-Sol that seem well matched, and some what look to be Holland made 6DJ8 that say Sylvania - India. PI tubes are whatever stock type I think.

Sweetspot seems a bit wider to me - like I can be a little bit more off center before the center image pans to one side or another. The micro-detail and "blacker blacks" helps the really high frequency spatial cues stand out more, giving the impression of throwing a wider image further divorced from the speakers.

I loved the sound of Redcloud, but Ted admitted to me there was a math or programming error that "sometimes" caused some distortion. I spotted it right away and have been frustrated with the "sometimes" distortion. I'm glad that's gone now.

Only gripe I have right now is Ted put a full 1 second volume ramp up when the DAC switches from playing one format to another to hide the clicks and pops that are typically hidden by players. It's fine if it all stays one format, but starting the DAC, and switching resolutions causes it to ramp up into the first second of the music.

Beyond that, I love the sound! Much more to my liking. Further proof that jitter is the devil!

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #959 - 11/16/18 at 15:33:53

LR, how do you like the 7581As?  What are you biasing them at?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #960 - 11/16/18 at 20:56:12

I got both the new DMP and the Snowmass OS cards in and installed both.

Quite a change. Going to have to let it settle in over the weekend. Not CRAZY about it at the moment but know I probably will be. Some more detail, probably less or no distortion, the noise floor is definitely lower. How strange to get a new DAC every now and then.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #961 - 11/18/18 at 19:30:19

Quote:
LR, how do you like the 7581As?  What are you biasing them at?

This weekend I swapped through Tung-Sol KT66, Tung-Sol 7581A, GE (NOS) 7027, 63PS-E coin base, and a well matched quad of '73 KT8C.

I wasn't super thorough and my room still isn't properly treated since installing the new hard floors yet, but my two favorites are the 7581A and KT8C.

The 7581A I biased at 50ma, then 60ma, and topped off at 64ma like Jeff mentioned earlier in this thread. They seemed the most even across the board and nice harmonics. Reminds me of the KT66 but on steroids.

The KT8C had bass that put all the others to shame in a big way, but the treble was a little etched. They only have 3 hours on them so I hope they will calm down with a few more hours. They bias up really low, and started sounding good at 40ma and *appear* to sound louder than even the 7581A...but I think it's just a trick of the huge bass and extended treble.

I forgot which set of tubes it was, I'll be going through them again once I get diffusers in the room, but one set had amazing upper bass that was tight and detailed and made everything pop more, but didn't have the huge, deep, tight bass of the KT8C.

I still have other tubes to try out, but they are in storage, and I'm waiting on more adapters to show up. Eventually I'll post a separate thread with my thoughts on all these.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #962 - 11/22/18 at 12:40:47

SnowMass threw my system for  loop. That and the new OS for the DirectStream Memory Player being released and loaded at the same time put the system into a shifting shape. At first I had a bad load or two and had to relaunch, reboot, listen, wait, rinse and repeat. Then  I got to evaluating and assessing. With the tube complement and room I have something seemed off. I ended up dong a lot of tube-rolling and the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B are back in the amps and an old RCA 5V4G is in the CSP3-25. That has helped. I can't sing the praises of the OS the way many have been, it certainly has some improved areas and yet for my system and my room there's a light-weight slight brightness that I don't welcome. I'm going to keep tweaking and see what I can coax towards the right direction.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #963 - 11/22/18 at 19:29:12

Interesting, Lon. I wonder if that's the new micro-detail bringing out the treble/spatial stuff I was talking about.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #964 - 11/23/18 at 13:30:28

I have a difficult room Eric, it swallows low frequency energy, and the excellent low end of the HR-1, the HR-1's omni-directional qualities, and the ZROCK2 save me. I have the system situated in only one half of the largest area I've ever had as a living space, and on top of that there are two different ceiling heights (the part of the room the system is in slopes from 9' to 16' over a width of 16'--the other half of the room has a 9' ceiling). I had worked up a very good tuning and tailoring for the system that gave me amazing sound, and something (I think the phase-correction nature) of Snowmass has upset that apple cart. I know if I had a dedicated room and could add treatments this would be much less of an issue. But I don't want to be in a  small room listening near field ever again (that became torment over the years) and I prefer having a loving wife than a treated room, so alas, that's not an option for me. I have other tricks to employ though, and have been employing them.

I'm not really able to work on that this long weekend because I don't get much time with the speakers on the weekends, and this one has more family elements injected into it than others. I had it almost restored Wednesday, and I'll get it better next week I'm sure. One last resort is to restore the ZTPRE into the system, that offers me another gain stage and with those torroidal transformers and solid state rectification a different voice to meld into the mix. . . . But I was hoping to not have to add that back in as with it removed I have room for the ZLC in the racks. . . .

So we'll see. It's a testament to how profoundly the OS changed that I'm having difficulty getting my high frequency/low frequency natural balance restored. Far less easily accomplished than other firmware changes.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #965 - 11/24/18 at 07:30:27

I'm having volume issues with the DS. I thought it was a preamp tube that was low output, but when I switched to my Teac DAC it was cranking loud.

I remember some others having this issue with past OS upgrades, I just haven't had time to see what the fix is.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #966 - 11/24/18 at 12:11:33

That's odd. I haven't found any real volume differences in OS changes. I know this is silly to say but be sure you haven't activated the 20db cut off switch. . .  ("Filter" on the black remote).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #967 - 11/26/18 at 14:30:47

I haven't seen my remote in years - remember how I said I was fed up with it?  

Maybe it's just the voltage difference between the TEAC and the DS, and I think the TEAC has an option for a db boost in the menus, so maybe someone played with my settings at Decfest and I just haven't found it yet. Still, since upgrading the DS I have to have the volume on the ZMA on full up to get just to a decent listening level.

I've been working in the garage workshop all weekend so I've not had a chance to figure it out. I'll be looking into it more this weekend. I've switched back to the TEAC for now, and Palimino stopped by for some tablesaw time in the workshop and was very pleased with the sound of the TEAC with the 25th Mods on my ZMA. Even without my fleet of diffusers, he said it was the best sound he's heard in my room.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #968 - 11/26/18 at 15:09:13

Weird, something is amiss. . . I have plenty of headroom really with 3 watt monoblocks.

Anyway I've decided my problem was not with SnowMass so much as 3.10 on the DMP. I went back to 3.09 briefly and got the frequency balance back for the most part. Then went back to 3.10 and rolled more rectifiers. Now with 'forties RCA 5V4G in both the Monoblocks and the CSP3-245 I'm getting great sound. Seems strange replacing 150 dollar Sophia Electric Aqua 274Bs with 15 dollar tubes, but there you go. . . . I'll use the Sophias upstairs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #969 - 11/30/18 at 21:53:11

Wow. SnowMass and 3.10 have really caused me to go throughout my system playing with the sound. I still don't think it's a massive improvement so much as it's a big difference. I spent a lot of time with RedCloud, tailoring and tuning, and SnowMass clearly needed a different direction and attention.

I thought I had gotten where I needed with sound and then a power outtage brought the system back to outer space cold and I didn't like how it was warming up and how it began playing again. I've ended up. . . plugging my amps and preamp back into the P10, plugging the P10 directly into the wall and not into the PS Audio Soloist SE, and using 5R4W rectifiers in the amps and a 5V4G in the preamp, and OB3 regulators in the amps. (It's pretty astonishing the way these rectifiers and regulators influence the sound! Until I found the right regulator the 5R4W rectifiers were like a reverb unit!)

The P10 is in "High Regulation" mode and I'm actually using "Multi-Wave" mode at 2.

It's all warmed up and putting out excellent sound now. Am I done? Probably not, but I'm going to try to leave things be until new components arrive, months from now (I have an Anniversary mods ZROCK2 on order and a ZLC).

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #970 - 11/30/18 at 23:07:24

Glad you got it Lon. Those big square 5R4s are a voice from the past. I haven't tried them in years but used them a lot for a while and have a few pair around. You are talking about the "potato masher" Chatham 5R4WGYs, right? The reverb thing with different VRs is weird alright.

I have been using the multiwave 2 setting too since I updated the P5 firmware a while back. This is the first time I have enjoyed it, and still am not sure if it was the most recent firmware or amp mods, or both, but I keep coming back to multiwave 2 when I check it. Before whenever I tried, I ended using sinewave.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #971 - 11/30/18 at 23:41:16

Will, yes, I assume this pair is Chatham, they actually don't have a brand name on them, but they have that look. I also have a Raytheon that has a grayer bakelite base and a great sound. . . I wish I had another of those and may order one. With the pair in the amps and the Raytheon in the CSP3-25 it really is too "spatial". . . reverb tank time. The 5Y4G in the CSP3-25 really sets that right.

One day I am going to get brave and open up the amps and roll the OC2 tubes in there, I'd love to use the Tesla variant I have, I think it will be just the right final ingredient. We'll see. . . I've been reticent to open them up.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #972 - 12/01/18 at 01:27:25

Isn't that OC2 in the amp a hard wired tube?  I know the tube inside my Anniversary modified CSP3 is.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #973 - 12/01/18 at 01:40:06

No, in my Monoblocks the tube is in a socket underneath.

The CSP3-25 we have has a different tube, hardwired in.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #974 - 12/01/18 at 19:13:24

Got it.  Does make rolling that tube a challenge!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #975 - 12/02/18 at 18:06:27

Have any of you installed snow mass v2? I don't currently use the bridge and I'm hesitant on updating because of how good everything sounds with snow mass v1.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #976 - 12/02/18 at 20:08:04

I am on Snowmass V2 with no issues, and I use the Bridge II. Thanks

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #977 - 12/03/18 at 04:36:02

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear no issues.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #978 - 03/21/19 at 20:12:35

There's new firmware--3.14--for the DirectStream Memory Player, and it's the best one yet. Immediately noticeable sound quality improvement.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #979 - 03/22/19 at 20:52:20

Wow, It constantly amazes me that they can squeeze more sound out of the same bits.

Absolute proof that the "bits are bits" thing is so shortsighted.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #980 - 01/17/24 at 01:50:35

A new firmware for the DSD Mk II was released last week. My files arrived and were easily installed. Sound is interestingly improved with a bit more body to the imaging and a bit more perceived bass. Which is welcome. I know there will be a few changes in the next few days. . . looking forward to the listening. I love how these DACs keep improving.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #981 - 01/17/24 at 15:07:35

Hi Lon.

As a former owner of a DirectStream DAC JR, I have a lot of respect for PS Audio.  

Even though I don’t currently own any of their products, I try and keep up with what’s going on with their new products and updates.

Mr. Ted is quite the innovator, and I have the utmost respect for him, and what he does.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #982 - 01/17/24 at 15:17:33

Yes, I started on with PS Audio with their first regenerator (pre-ordered the P300 to use with my Rev. A Zen amp) and have been with them ever since. I've tried a few other DACs but their DACs work best for me--Ted is indeed an interesting designer, and their platform now based on programmable operating systems with their commitment to bringing improved OS to customers has really suited me well. This latest MKII and Massive OS has realistic sound that I keep building upon with enjoyment.

Decware and PS Audio are two cornerstones of my audio systems and I'm so grateful to both companies.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #983 - 01/18/24 at 00:31:28

30 hours in this OS sounds awesome, a clear improvement, best sound I've heard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #984 - 01/19/24 at 11:19:50

Twice as much time on this firmware now and . . . this is the first time that I loved a firmware change right off the bat, and it is still sounding even better each time I listen.

The changes are both subtle . . . and not. There is a tighter focus on the instrumental or voice image, without any etch or harshness.  The overall presentation is a bit more dynamic and natural sounding. I didn't think I'd ever have this sort of sound in my home. The source is so important. Of course if you have an SEWE300B and HR-1s that source will shine brightly.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #985 - 01/19/24 at 23:05:16

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 03:19:50

Twice as much time on this firmware now and . . . this is the first time that I loved a firmware change right off the bat, and it is still sounding even better each time I listen.

It amazes me (although it probably shouldn't) the number of people who are sure that burning in new firmware is total audiophile crazy talk. But those of us who have done it (and have systems sufficiently resolving to hear a difference) are pretty much in complete agreement that it is a real thing. It took over 100 hours for the (Denafrips, not PS Audio) firmware I installed last summer to finish settling in, and it was a considerable improvement as well. So much for crazy talk.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #986 - 01/19/24 at 23:31:13

I'm pretty used to crazy talk, both in audio and other matters--it's all over these days. Yes, firmware changes are real--and having a component that can be upgraded so easily is really cool!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #987 - 03/06/24 at 16:20:36

For grins I went back to the previous firmware (Massive Beta) last night for a spell. The system sounded really good. . .but I missed a sense of ease and a less digital sound that was restored the minute I went back to Massive Final.

Man, this DAC sounds wonderful. I'm so glad I was able to afford all the movements up the ladder since I got my first PS Audio DAC.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print