Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:43:00 

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 76361 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #900 - 06/09/17 at 06:23:00

Awesome! I thought I'd have to wait till tomorrow.

Holy...wow, I just loaded the new OS on a 16GB SD I had around. This is not subtle to me. The lower noise makes the music, especially percussion just jump out of the blackness.

I'm listening to a band called Om right now - it's a duo that does music considered "drone metal" - but I don't think that does it justice. It's great percussion, bass, and vocals; dark and mesmerizing...even more so now!.

Listening from Roon, via Bridge II in the DS, to the one off 20 year old Zen UFO, to MG944.        K.I.S.S.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #901 - 06/09/17 at 11:35:46

I expected it would not be as subtle as a few of the changes were in comparison. Looking forward to it! (But by the same token I'm breaking in several tubes so the delay on my part will be good, will let me have a better handle on the tube situation first, and I'm about to get one of the new HDMI cables that PS Audio is using--gratis--from them in the mail and that may be a factor too).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #902 - 06/09/17 at 15:13:40

Lon, this is good, this is *really* good. I was up till 3am listening last night! It's been a while since I've fallen that far down the rabbit hole.

A few of the updates improved on a thing or two, but always left me feeling like something small but important was left on the table.

This update, has the blackest blacks, PRaT in abundance, and the detail I love so much without being fatiguing at all! Across all the frequencies it sounds more accurate, and the bass doesn't feel like it's lacking anymore...like it's gained speed that previous versions were missing.

I'm stunned Ted was able to make this happen. I was looking at a TEAC because I was wondering if something newer could outclass the DS, but I've kinda lost the lust for something new right now. Time to get back to room treatment instead!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #903 - 06/09/17 at 15:19:34

Great, the feedback seems to mirror your impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I haven't strayed from the DirectStream, not even in thought, in part I think because the Memory Player is such a perfect partner for it and I can just spin cds and SACDs and not have to tinker further at all. I also really love the DVR and Blu-ray sound from this and feel they are lacking nothing. So I'm just centered on the DirectStream and totally happy that there are continuing upgrades coming along. I wasn't crazy about this firmware updating for a while, and I still don't feel that I can successfully pull it off here for some reason, and I don't love buying SD cards from PS Audio, but as soon as the firmware is in and operating I've forgotten all that and have new improvement that I could not get otherwise.

With the DirectStream, Torii Mk III and HR-1s as constants, and the excellent cabling I have (more money spent, but well-spent, the differences are not subtle!) I'm more than ever sitting satisfied and listening deeply.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #904 - 06/09/17 at 17:09:24

I'm really running out of things I feel the need to upgrade.

I'm considering trying out some really high end XLR for between the DirectStream and the ZMA. Beyond that, I'm very, very happy.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #905 - 06/12/17 at 19:36:36

I have Huron running now. This is a bigger change than Torreys was to Pike's. Very positive so far. As usual I'll soon have to do some tweaking to placement and setup but I'm holding off as I'm also breaking in new input tubes and a new HDMI cable that PS Audio sent me (free!) for between the DMP and the DSD. All the changes have been good, but I know that the tubes at least are not yet fully broken in. . . .

Another firmware update! PS Audio doesn't sit on its hands!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #906 - 06/12/17 at 20:38:31

I must have put in over 20 hours of real listening time since Huron was released! I even took the time to pull the Loveseat out of the living room, and line both sides of the room with my fleet of diffusers.

I too feel I'm needing to adjust my system some, now that I can hear deeper into each recording.

One thing that's bugging me - I'm hearing some distortion from somewhere, and I'm having trouble placing from where.  When I was listening Roon -> DS via Bridge II -> Zen UFO, I had assumed I was driving the amp too hard. While the souped up Zen amp has way more apparent output than it should, it's still easy to run it aground being only 2.5 watts (or whatever it really reads out to).

So I switched to the ZMA, and I have to say...this Huron makes the difference between the Zen and ZMA very apparent! It's no longer like, well, the Zen sounds a little more true to the source and the ZMA has more grunt....now it's like the Zen is *very* true to the source, and the ZMA sounds veiled in comparison, but with real grunt and full bass. I feel like the resolution of the DS has surpassed the ZMA and only better shows what this UFO Zen is really capable of.  (I'm sure Steve would say Nonsense to that, but that's how it feels).

So, as I said, I switched to the ZMA and put another 10 or so hours of playtime, mostly playing new albums released the past couple months, some stuff recommended in a private music forum I belong to (lots of urban and hip hop unfortunately, but some was sonically interesting and had really good beats).  And I'm still hearing some distortion. It's very subtle, and if I wasn't so in tune with my system I probably wouldn't have noticed. On the Zen it sounded like it was running out of steam, and the ZMA it sounds like there is a little raggedness in the upper mids like you have with tired tubes. I swapped tubes to some known good new, and still had the same thing.  

It really feels like my input tube selection isn't up to par for the new resolution presented, and the amp can only produce as good as it's given (Garbage In/Garbage Out). I'm going to have to explore this some more.

Or....I'm noticing in the forums, a couple people were complaining about digital artifacts in recordings, and on closer inspection, it turns out these were issue in the original recordings that were just not apparent with the past resolution. I've noticed this as well. While I'm getting an amazing amount of separation of voices and instruments, I'm also hearing more microphone sibilance and redlining the inputs on the mixing board in the original recordings...and I can hear when there is some autotune used on vocals where this would (mostly) get masked in the recording before.

Really interesting, and requiring some tweaking of the system, but this is fantastic! I finally feel like I have a source that pushes the limits of what the amps can do. The differences between Zen and ZMA jump out at you now, and that's wonderful and painful at the same time. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #907 - 06/12/17 at 20:51:42

I have moved on to Dylan's "New Morning"-- I'm gong to play material I am very familiar with, including some cdrs of four track dubs of band material I recorded in '88 and '89 when I was in The Blue Flames and Sylvan Blue (two Austin bands no one got to hear much from).

So far I haven't encountered any distortion but I do hear some limitations of the recordings themselves quite clearly, and I'm turning things up and encountering congestion that suddenly obscures the clarity--not sure yet whether this is because I'm overloading the Torii input or whether this is on the recording, or some other factor.

Interesting that the Zen is shining in this situation, not surprising though as I have been listening to a modded C amp upstairs with my second best source (a fantastic Denon 32 bit DAC system with the proprietary drive built in the flagship universal player from about seven years ago) and using the same quality cabling I have in my main system there is a great fidelity coming out. . . . I think the P10 and the treble and bass controls of the Torii give the Torii the edge in playback in the main system, but the gap is not as huge as the price differences are!

Thanks for weighing in, you give me a few things to listen for and I hope I can get to tweaking and set up soon. Input tubes really do make a difference and for my tastes and system it's Amperex, have a very nice pair breaking in and the tonal balance is like Goldilock's porridge, just right. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #908 - 06/16/17 at 15:39:41

Well Huron is an interesting change. I had tailored the system to Torreys and the extra clarity and dynamics of Huron had me puzzled at first as to how to address it. Tube-rolling was the easiest and most effective manner. I moved from Amperex input tubes to a pair of Mullard made for RCA and the extra smooth roundness of the Mullard added a bit of flesh around the bone that the extra clarity was exposing with the Amperex. And yesterday I moved voltage regulation from Tesla 11TA31 to 75C1 Enelectico valves that then gave a little kick to those fleshed out bones. Using the 75C1 I still have a tiny bit of leanness I wish would go away but it's material-dependent and if I use the High Regulation setting of the P10 it's almost perfect. And when it's a bit too lean kicking in multi-wave at 1 is a pretty good choice.

Overall Huron is a solid improvement and a welcome tool in the tool kit.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #909 - 06/16/17 at 15:45:20

Lon, I'm doing some rolling as well, but I'm not really happy with the tubes I have. I'll probably be putting them up for sale.

Any recommendations on something detailed and with "air". Something along the lines of true Telefunkin, but without the $200 a tube price tag?

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #910 - 06/16/17 at 15:57:33

I've been exploring NOS "slightly different" types of tubes from the great makers that don't command the silly prices of NOS of the 6922, 7308 type etc.

I've had some good success with two versions of RCA ECC189 made by either Mullard or Amperex, very reasonably priced on ebay at around thirty a pair. The Amperex is probably closest to the Telefunken sound. (Generally I shy away from that sound as my brain seems to interpret treble differently than others, I seem to hear more than others do at the same settings, one audiologist who examined me said I may have a type of tinnitus where the ear drum becomes overexcited by high frequencies, but he couldn't say definitively as not all my hearing matched that problem and I could hear well into the high frequency before I became irritated, it was more quantity than range with me). Anyway another that I like but that has just a bit too much treble energy for me (and which may be just right for you or others) are a pair of Mazda "Made in England" PCC189. Very open and clear and for me just a bit too hot and unruly at the top, but again that's my sonic peeve and not necessarily others'. . . .

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #911 - 06/16/17 at 19:12:57

Ahh, that's so interesting, Lon. I just spoke with someone who has bad tinnitus, and he's hypersensitive to digital music. Says the harsh treble causes a harmonic beating (like tuning a guitar) at certain frequencies that irritate his tinnitus. It makes sense as to why you've mentioned the need for treble control many times...that totally makes sense now!

Re: Mazda "Made in England" PCC189 - I think Steve mentioned to me some Mazda "red tips" I think he called them. Said they were his favorite.

If you have some time, could you maybe link me to some Amperex or Mazda like what you're talking about? I'm going to do some searching on my own, but just putting in those key words is going to bring up a slew of options.

Thanks again! Oh, I still have those Russian 6L6 I need to return to you. I've had them boxed up and ready to ship back, I've just not been to the post office in like 8 weeks! LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #912 - 06/16/17 at 19:31:10

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #913 - 06/16/17 at 20:00:59

Thanks Lon! Very much appreciated!

Interesting - those tubes are quite 6DJ8 type.  I'm glad they work, because the price is right!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #914 - 06/16/17 at 21:07:57

They work. And the prices are right.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #915 - 06/16/17 at 22:50:18

don't forget the 7DJ8's laying around all over the place... there are some nice ones out there.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #916 - 06/22/17 at 14:49:41

I did wind up grabbing some 7DJ8 - they say Telefunken, but they don't sound like Telefunken 6DJ8 - they are clear and fine, but don't have the "air" and extension that I love about real Telefunk 6DJ8.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #917 - 06/22/17 at 14:57:18

Cool. I guess you may have to shell out the big bucks. . . .

I'm really enjoying the Mullards I've been running. I can enjoy them with any of the input tube regulation tubes I've been using, but I think I like them with the Tesla the best, there's a full and present signature.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #918 - 06/22/17 at 22:35:15

got some of the Tungsram 7DJ8, Bascom King recommends for the PS BHK signature gear.... breaking in - initial impressions are they are "nice".

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

PS Audio PWT or Decware ZCD 240?
Reply #919 - 07/22/17 at 16:36:55

I  can get a factory refurbished full warranty PS Audio PerfectWave PWT for around $1,200.  Should I do that or should I purchase a new Decware ZDC 240?  I'm using a Tori Jr and have a CSP-3 on order.  I use an OPPO 105 as the DAC.  I listen to cd's, and am just entering the network/streaming world.

Thanks, Ken

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #920 - 07/22/17 at 17:30:18

I would use the oppo as my player and get into streaming. Later, you could put the $1200 towards a better DAC.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #921 - 07/22/17 at 17:38:03

The PWT is a great transport. If you are considering playing Redbook discs primarily for the years to come it would be good, though I honestly think you'll get better sound with a DAC other than the Oppo's. I had a few PWTs and now have a DirectStream Memory Player (which IS a step up) and am very happy, but then I'm not AT ALL interested in streaming and envision a few decades of disc spinning. If you see yourself moving into streaming and using it a lot, I'd follow busterfree's advice.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #922 - 07/22/17 at 23:07:29

Same as busterfree ... I would get a PS Audio DSD DAC and then use the Oppo transport going into the PS Audio DSD as your primary DAC, then when funds allowed I would then upgrade to the PWT ~ that is if you still think you need a CD spinner at that point.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #923 - 07/24/17 at 08:03:48

Ken, currently I have my Oppo 205 running into my PS Audio DSD DAC and it is a fantastic solution for my current needs.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #924 - 07/24/17 at 12:26:49

Thank you all very much.  It seems a new DAC is in order!

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #925 - 07/24/17 at 19:21:00

I'm late to the party but, I agree with the above.

I have the Oppo 105 - and after you hear a better DAC, you realize how etched the Oppo is. I graduated to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC which was a noticeable improvement back 3 years ago, and is a huge improvement now with the latest OS update.  

I recently picked up the TEAC NT-503 which I like, and used/openbox was only $650. It reminds me of how the PS Audio DS sounded a few updates ago...at like 1/6th the cost.

The Oppo is a great piece of kit in the mean time.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #926 - 07/24/17 at 19:57:59

To add to that though. . . the PWT or the DMP is a step up when used with the DirectStream DAC compared to any other transport I've tried (and I've tried a few including an Oppo). The Digital Lens inside these transports and the use of I2S via HDMI makes the connection special. .  . and not by a tiny margin.

So I would agree that saving up for a DSD is a great thing. . . and then if you are still spinning discs I would consider one of the PS Audio transports.

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #927 - 07/24/17 at 20:15:08

Thank you all, again.  The vendor for the "refurbished" PWT (tmraudio.com) also recommended (as you all did) a PS Audio DAC and my Oppo transport as opposed to a PS Audio player and my OPPO DAC.

Is anyone familiar with the other PS Audio DACS:  Stellar Gain Cell; Junior DSD or NuWave DSD?  And perhaps how they might compare to the Teac NT 503?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #928 - 07/24/17 at 20:32:00

I've heard the NuWave and it's quite nice though not up to the standard of the DSD or the PWD. May be better than the Oppo though (I may not be the best judge as Oppos haven't really impressed me this decade, and I've been spoiled by the PWD and then DSD).

I haven't heard the new TEAC, I'm lucky in that I have the DAC I love and am not on a quest for or curious about another.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #929 - 08/26/17 at 18:47:22

IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #930 - 08/26/17 at 23:04:04

Thanks, Dave,

I ultimately just could not afford the step up to the two PS Audio units.  I kept the Oppo as the transport and added a Teac UD 503 Dac.  The Teac is pretty nice (I note Steve just released the Dec-modded version of this DAC).  I was able to purchase it new from a Teac dealer for around $750.  It seems like a nice upgrade from he Oppo.

Ken

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #931 - 08/27/17 at 01:25:36

Hi Ken,

The PS Audio products are definitely expensive.  I hope you are enjoying your TEAC.  

Best,
Dave

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #932 - 10/18/17 at 15:30:00

Another hint from Paul in today's Paul's Post about an upcoming music server.

"To make an effective high-end quality server one must appreciate the hardware challenges as well as the software hurdles. In the case of PS Audio’s upcoming server, the computer board inside the device is the least of our worries. Isolating that board and its noise from the purity of the digital audio stream is one hell of a major challenge relative to just throwing a USB cable into a Mac Mini and calling it high-end."

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #933 - 10/18/17 at 15:33:55

Ken Rafika

Reply #934 - 10/18/17 at 19:38:55

Hi, all -- I am enjoying the Teac, but like a writer on a different thread, the software startup, etc., is not very good.  I've also integrated a new CPS-3 with the Tori Jr, and some new tubes, so there is so much going on I can't really "compare" anything.

I've also purchased Tidal, which is pretty good, even with some obscure stuff (like a 1972 Bowie concert, just released).  No Roon yet.

I'm debating moving more to a "streaming/network setup rather than a better transport, and essentially retiring the cd's.  

It never ends!   Tongue

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #935 - 10/18/17 at 19:48:40

Start your own thread about it here in the digital section - I, as well as others I'm sure, will chime in.

I might be building/selling a couple Tiny form factor PCs with Foobar all setup on it and ready to stream your music to the Teac. I'm out of town till the end of the month, so you probably won't see them posted till end of the month or early November.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #936 - 12/08/17 at 21:21:59

Redcloud operating firmware released today.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #937 - 12/08/17 at 22:38:49

Ooh! I wonder what's changed! I haven't had time to keep up with their forums.  I'll load it up tonight!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #938 - 12/09/17 at 04:23:44

Listening now -

I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around how they can squeeze even more information out of the same bits I've been using in my Demo tunes for 4 years now! Not just that, but these are rips of CDs I've owned and listened to since the 90's. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I'm hearing more detail, and more balanced "information" across the board. And somehow, tracks that were great sounding but always had a few spots that were a bit....edgy, are now smoothed and listenable, but without any loss of detail...in fact, I'm hearing more detail in these rough spots in recordings.

Listening to some Opus3 DSD recordings now - and the DSD recordings don't sound as flat and lifeless as before. There was always great detail, but just kind of a flatness - now they have more of the dynamics and timing accuracy that I've always associated with Master Tapes sets master tape above and beyond all other formats.

I'm diving back in...I'm finding myself listening all the way through my Demo Tunes again, not just listening to the first (and usually best) parts of each track and moving on. I'm enthralled.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #939 - 12/14/17 at 19:57:18

I have become a member of the RedCloud club now as an SD card came in from PS Audio.

Interesting. The first fifteen minutes or so it seemed warmer and yet not darker, a bit less bright than Huron. Then it turned on a nose and became a bit brighter, a bit more forward and a bit more detailed. I can work with this . . .but it may "morph" yet further.

I don't quite know how Ted does this but I'm sure it won't be the last "update."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #940 - 12/15/17 at 12:41:01

I left the DMP feeding the DSD Billie Holiday all night and it still sounded a bit wonky when I woke up. So I gave the DSD a power off, wait and power on and that seemed to bring it into better sound.

Detailed and a bit thin for my taste overall so far but I goosed the ZROCK2 on EQA a tiny bit and am getting great sound. Amazing what these firmwares do. I'd tell Ted this is good enough for now, slow down, you move to fast, you got to make this level of playback last a while. . . .

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #941 - 12/15/17 at 22:52:22

Lon,
I have heard that a hard reboot after the software upgrade is recommended, so not surprised it affected the sound of your DS DAC.  

Ive been listening to Redcloud since day one of its release, and boy is it special!  The music is presented with great realism and a huge soundstage through my Hegeman's.  Loving it.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #942 - 12/15/17 at 23:20:31

I listened all day and I like this firmware. My system layout does not necessarily favor "sound stage" in the way that I think others do, but I set my speakers up a bit further out into the room today (I have to move my speakers in to the room and then out to the back wall daily) and was able to enjoy the bit more depth to the sound I get from RedCloud. What's most important to me is tonal and timbral qualities of the sound and how accurate the music therefore sounds and RedCloud is a step up from Huron, which was very good. I did find a bit of leanness that was compounded a bit with the speaker location, but the ZROCK2 takes care of that easily. I'm sure that the system will sound even better on Monday when I resume serious listening.

The DSD was such a good investment as it keeps getting better and better for little further investment.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #943 - 12/16/17 at 01:30:16

Totally agree.  I purchased it with Huron onboard.  I liked Huron, a lot.  But Redcloud really does raise the bar in so many ways.  I commented on it in the PS forum, but the sound is so accurate, detailed, yet so polished and smooth.  It has a distinct "ease of listening" quality to it.  The bass quality too has been elevated.  More authoritative, while maintaining a tightness and tunefulness.  The fact that we get these categorical improvements with operating system upgrades that are free of charge is really extraordinary.  

With my Omega's, I found myself repositioning quite often to find and maintain that sweet spot in my room.  When I switched to my point source omnidirectional Hegeman Model 1a's, it is no longer necessary.  Massive soundstage with no work.  I created a 7ft equilateral triangle between me and my speakers and voila.  Also, there is no sweet spot per se with these things.  As I move in the room, the perceived distance from the instruments also change in relation to my movement - just as they would if I was moving around in an intimate venue.  Pretty cool.  Viva Redcloud!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #944 - 01/24/18 at 22:54:18

I think I'm going to lose my shit. I've been hearing some treble distortion on my system, and first I thought it was input tubes, then tweeters on my MG-944...I've been chasing my tail on this starting to think I'm imagining it...then I saw this on the PS Audio Forums.

Quote:
Ted Smith quote... 
Redcloud is the first release of software for the DS and DS Jr that has a possible technical reason that listening below 100 might be better than at 100. 1st off there’s a bug where very loud music at very high levels might crackle at the peaks. Ignoring that: The parts of signals that reach above -9dBFS (82 on the volume control IF the music were reaching full scale)  

It's really rare and really brief and I couldn't really replicate it easily if at all. So much Ugh.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #945 - 04/18/18 at 16:48:21

Steve Hoffman has finally said something about the DMP/DSD duo on his forum today:

Reference quality sound, best SACD playback I've ever heard. Beautiful tone. I don't know how PS Audio can improve upon this but I'm sure there will be another DAC upgrade sometime. Looking forward to what they come up with next..

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #946 - 04/18/18 at 19:30:38

Like you Lon, I have this stack and couldn’t agree more!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #947 - 04/18/18 at 20:00:29

Yes, I don't disagree. I do find it interesting that Steve has made this claim. . . he's been evasive of giving opinions in the past. He's heard expensive hardware I haven't so his statement has weight for me. . . .

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #948 - 04/18/18 at 22:37:06

He also has a good ear in general, though I feel he sticks to his opinions a bit hard. But yeah, good ear, so this is great to see him say this!

I'm still waiting for an update to fix the issue I mentioned above.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #949 - 11/10/18 at 22:54:21

A new operating system for the DirectStream DAC is beta testing now and offered on Monday: Snowmass

A new operating system for the DirectStream Memory Player was offered Friday: 3.10

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print